Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Street Team by John Rice15/11/2014 20:14Sat Nov 15 20:14:17 2014view thread

Money & Football

By rwakeley (legacy user)12/11/2014 14:27Wed Nov 12 14:27:52 2014In response to Re: Money money money

Views: 4917

Slighly off topic and on the same day a chief BOE FX dealer is fired for rigging the market - I should really stay off Zerohedge.com. It did get me thinking how all this corruption in the markets correlates with the mindset of the average fan.
This is what I arrive home to on an average Saturday night - The majority of fans in my local (since 2010)
have whitnessed the following:-
AFC Telford United 2011 promoted, 2012 relegated, 2013 promoted - 2014 currently bottom 5 different managers- soon to be 6!
Shrewsbury Town 2011 play-offs, 2012 promoted, 2014 relegated - 4 different managers
Wolves - 2011 relegated, 2012 relegated, 2013 promoted - 5 different managers
One may argue football is a form of escapism, but listenting to these fans I can't help thinking that football now for most has become a form of self-delusion. These fans would think nothing of splashing £50m on a centre-forward to pursue some unfounded, unrealistic dream. It's the mindset of these fans I find most worrying. Like the external financial world, they themselves contribute to the next bubble and seem constantly surprised when it busts.
These fans all be-moan increased costs - I don't have much sympathy. They feed the monster and are paying down debts which will be passed further down the generations. Its a ponzi scheme.
I recently read an article whereby it suggested that fans are leaving clubs they can no longer afford to watch, certainly in terms of any longevity, in search of non-league football where costs are minimalized.
Unlike the major banks no club is 'too big to fail' - perhaps Michel Platini can ensure that fans are 'Cyprioted' to bail-out (or bail-in), clubs for a new centre-forward.
Better still how long before we see some US backed entity has blown its club out the water by buying mortgage backed securities - Perhaps Monsieur Platini or the Bank of England chap can give them all a 'triple A rating' before they implode.
Where do we fit in - we stuggle on with a hand to mouth existance - hopefully things will improve - even so count our blessings it's better than all the alternatives.
These fans embrace new owners with open arms - then appear to want them ejected forthwith. They seem utterly incapable of identifying the fact that they syptomatic of the underlying problems.
I hope more fans to flock to non-league as an alternative, but I have a horrible feeling this may just perpetuate the problems and make things worse at our level.
As far as I'm concerned you can keep you Oligarchy types - just another bubble waiting to burst.
When we have our moments enjoy them.

rwakeley

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Money & Football by Anonymous13/11/2014 11:30Thu Nov 13 11:30:00 2014

Previous thread: Annoyed by Paul Butler12/11/2014 08:49Wed Nov 12 08:49:20 2014view thread