Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Booked and Raring To Go by John Rice4/10/2014 18:24Sat Oct 4 18:24:41 2014view thread

minor cup games

By Paul Butler (legacy user)3/10/2014 23:35Fri Oct 3 23:35:29 2014

Views: 4808

Looks like we're going to have a few sub-100 attendances in the minor cups again this season, Barking, Wingate and a trip to Staines isn't likely to inspire too many people to part with their tenner by my reckoning, especially when it's normally a chance to give some "squad" players some game time, are the clubs allowed to reduce the prices to try to get more people in?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: minor cup games

By SteveHFC (legacy user)4/10/2014 00:19Sat Oct 4 00:19:28 2014In response to minor cup gamesTop of thread

Views: 5003

First of all - my reply with my "club official" hat on.

Yes we are allowed (certainly in county cup, not sure about league cup), but it's a bit of a catch 22 situation as we still need to try and cover our costs - match officials, hospitality etc. Under the various competition rules we have to offer a certain level of hospitality to the match officials and opponents.

Reducing the prices won't entice enough additional people to make up the shortfall unfortunately, and whilst I can't speak for the board, I know that in years gone by this is the main why we generally haven't dropped the prices for the minor cups.

As a simple example, if we charge £10 and get 50 people paying, we get £500 gate income. If we cut prices by 50% - we would need to double our gate to 100 to match the £500 income. We all know that's not going to happen. If we charged £7, we'd need to get an extra 20 people, that's a 40% increase in numbers attending (70 at £7 = £490), and I'm not confident we'd manage that.

Also, in those competitions where we have to split the gate with our opponents (I don't know off the top of my head which ones this applies to other than the two FA competitions) we have to agree the admission fees with our opponents.

Now my reply with my "supporter" hat on.

Personally, and putting aside the maths above, I think we should do something about lowering prices for the minor cups - to be charging £10 for a London Senior Cup tie is utter lunacy when many Football League clubs only charge £10 for Capital One Cup ties, especially when we all know, given the FA Cup tie on the following Saturday, it's likely to be a side featuring the squad players that we are fielding.

I don't know if I've mentioned it on here before, I probably have, and I know I've mentioned it on other forums, I think the cost to get into football at our level, and those higher than us, is overpriced - and has been for many years, especially given the cost of travel these days, whether we travel by car, coach or train.

And as for St Albans charging £15 in the division above - that's just complete insanity!

Be interesting to know from others whether the admission price for the minor cups (Middx, London & League Cups) stops them for coming, or whether they'd come regardless.

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust Official Website

Money is the root of all evil in football - ask Hereford and Salisbury

By David B (legacy user)4/10/2014 11:40Sat Oct 4 11:40:36 2014In response to Re: minor cup gamesTop of thread

Views: 4757

Thanks to the insanity of money in English football, the only people to lose out are fans who go to games (the cost of two months subscription to all seven Sky Sports channels is 90 percent of one - cheapest - Category A ticket at The Emirates). To watch St Albans play Chelmsford in level 6 of English football is similar to watching Bayern Munich playing Borussia Dortmund in the German FA Cup Final (one team in a shade of yellow taking on a team in a shade of red, 11 v 11 at kick-off). The cost of admission is almost the same too, £1.28 more to sit in a full 80,000-capacity state-of-the-art stadium than to stand with a few hundred others in a small ground inside a public park (there are Conference Premier clubs who charge 15 percent more for a League game than the DFB do for their biggest match).

agree

By saintetienne (legacy user)4/10/2014 12:51Sat Oct 4 12:51:22 2014In response to Money is the root of all evil in football - ask Hereford and SalisburyTop of thread

Views: 4782

I can see the point aswell.
In Sweden it is about £22 for one Allsvenskan game (highest league) seated and I think that is to much.
I have been in UK to watch football (Hendon among others) and League one teams to charge 25 pound (and this was probably 5 years ago or something like that). I have not watched a premier league game but I would love to do so (but £60-70 for 1 game) says no to me. There are cheaper aswell but if I gonna watch one it will be someting with the bigger teams (Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Arseanl, Tottenham, Liverpool) involving 2 of these teams.
And when I spook to co workers about what it cost to watch Hendon they just shook thier heads.

I could subscribe here in sweden to watch all EPL games for something like £40 / month but since my favorit team Bolton went out of EPL I have not even consider it.
If there is a good game there will be a good stream waiting somewhere.
And is evil for all the broadcasters that pay to show games.

I went often to football when I was younger but it was cheaper and there was no streams for it.

the swedish hendon fan

Tin Pot Cups and Prices

By alan ainsworth (legacy user)4/10/2014 16:55Sat Oct 4 16:55:22 2014In response to agreeTop of thread

Views: 4841

With no reserve team, I think the Tin Pot Cups should be persevered with... though, of course, they become a millstone around the neck if there are eight postponed games in December / January.

Steve in his Official hat is clearly right. The only "additional" fans attracted to MSC / LSC / ILC games by a £5 admission deal would be existing Hendon supporters who'd feel more obliged to support the scheme than they would to simply support the Club in a game they have little interest in.

Football's ticket prices are the product of market forces. The price is what consumers are prepared to pay and have become accustomed to paying. With stadiums full at top level, why should anyone involved with a football club want to do anything about it?
As everyone above 30 knows, it wasn't always as relatively expensive to get in as it is now.
I was paid £40 per week for my first job. It was less than £2 for adult terrace admission to get into almost any 1st Division football match then. So that was just under 5% of a school-leaver's weekly wage.
Now it's £50 or £60 to get into a Premier League game. That 25% of the weekly salary for an adult on minimum wage... and 10% of the weekly salary of a Londoner on an "average" wage for the capital.
In the mid-80s, I paid £1.80 at Ibrox or Darkheid, £2.00 or £2.20 at Old Trafford and £3.00 or £3.50 at White Hart Lane or Stamford Bridge. In 1992, Uncle Rupert invented football.
Speaking of Uncle Rupert... prices in the Aussie Rules AFL have more or less doubled in the past 10 years. Memberships (season tickets) for basic entry are around $300 for one of the big Melbourne clubs - that's for 11 "home" games and includes "away" games at whichever "home" stadium a club uses and sometimes for "away" games at the "other" Melbourne stadium was well. (Melbourne clubs nowadays all use either Docklands Stadium or the MCG; they no longer use their proper "home" stadiums for competitive matches, as they've outgrown them.) Basic walk-up prices are $25 or $30. The Aussie dollar is falling down towards $2 to £1 on the exchanges. Average attendance in the AFL in the season just ended was around 34,000. Only the NFL, Bundesliga & FA Insolvent Trading Jamboree pull more fans. All the games are on satellite TV and shown in pubs/bars.
The National Rugby League Down Under is falling behind. Average gates for the season ending tomorrow are "only" 16,000 - which is steady: just a few hundred down on last term - but ticket prices are falling. $20 would have got you a seat at either of defending champeens Sydney Roosters home play-off games, yet the attendances were 23,000 for a match v. fellow Sydney outfit Penrith (who would've brought a fair few) and 18,000 for the match v N.Queensland (who wouldn't). That's in a 44,000 capacity stadium that's pretty close to the middle of town.

Football fans in England are being ripped off... but Borussia Aldi and Dynamo Lidl aren't likely to be allowed into the FA Premier League.
And the notion that the English are capable of saying anything other than "Yes, sir!" to their betters, when told to do something they don't agree with, is too Culturally Diverse for even this city to contemplate.

Previous thread: SJP Pitch Opening by Rob Morris4/10/2014 09:51Sat Oct 4 09:51:34 2014view thread