Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Maidstone away - favour needed by Paul Butler17/11/2014 21:47Mon Nov 17 21:47:48 2014view thread

Worthing game

By John Fordham (legacy user)16/11/2014 18:06Sun Nov 16 18:06:44 2014

Views: 4492

Suprised there are no comments on here about the game. Very professional performance in my opinion. Was expecting closer result. Can't single out a single player - all played well. Here is a comment from Worthing fan on their forum:

"Got a good lesson today. by a good Hendon side worked us out in 15 mins. played a high line condensed us
in our own 3rd hit us down the flanks which pace. couldn't deal with their crosses.
hence two disallowed goals one allowed. don't think we won one 50/50 tackle. second half we huffed and puffed but could not blow them down. best side I've seen all season by far. must have learned some
valuable lessons today which will do us a favour. in games to come"

reply to this article | return to the front page

RE; Worthing game

By mike cox (legacy user)16/11/2014 19:16Sun Nov 16 19:16:51 2014In response to Worthing gameTop of thread

Views: 4722

Doubtless there would have been several comments if we had fouled up!
Totally agree it was a really professional performance; the only down side being a pathetically poor attendance - difficult to know what more the team can do to get some decent support.

Re: RE; Worthing game

By Anonymous (legacy user)16/11/2014 21:42Sun Nov 16 21:42:10 2014In response to RE; Worthing gameTop of thread

Views: 4389

I thougt you guys were very very good a lot better than the dulwich team we beat earlier on in the season you never gave us a chance to get going.
I do however find it embarrassing that a team 3rd in the ryman prem play in front of a hand full of people a few there yesterday were Harrow bough fans I bumped into.
It summed it up at the end of the match your side got clapped off by 20odd people! More people clap the side a chipstead on a Tuesday night than what did on Saturday. A team playing like that deserved a lot better support I just hope they get it later on In the season.

Re: RE; Worthing game

By John Fordham (legacy user)17/11/2014 10:02Mon Nov 17 10:02:16 2014In response to Re: RE; Worthing gameTop of thread

Views: 4342

Thanks for the comments, Worthing Fan. I think "embarrassing" is the wrong word for the attendance, I think "sad" is a better word. Yes, we do deserve better attendances but this is a problem for many teams at our level in the London area where there are so many alternatives available. For Hendon, the problem is exacerbated by not having a home of our own so how do we get potential fans to identify with the team. In my opinion we would probably have folded by now if it hadn't been for the efforts of Gary and the team in the last few seasons bringing in revenue from Cup runs. We haven't, up to now, had any long-term plan for addressing this but now, through the efforts of Rob Morris in particular - new permanent home in the Hendon area, new youth setup - there is hope for the future. Hopefully next time we play, Worthing Fan, you will be more impressed with the setup. Good luck to you for rest of season.

To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow anyway

By David B (legacy user)16/11/2014 19:50Sun Nov 16 19:50:18 2014In response to RE; Worthing gameTop of thread

Views: 4718

The attendance yesterday was disappointing but the roads were a complete nightmare and I would not be surprised if a number of fans turned back when they realised how late they were going to be. My thanks to Peter Lush, Bryan Roberts and Steve Lytton for assisting me yesterday.

In addition to the serious road accident on Eastcote Lane, someone was hit by a train at Northolt Park Station closing Petts Hill, two minutes drive from the ground. The detour was 3 miles in distance and one hour in travel time. It was fortunate the rail incident didn't happen an hour earlier because the teams might not have been able to get to the ground.

Re: To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow ..

By dw (legacy user)16/11/2014 23:02Sun Nov 16 23:02:59 2014In response to To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow anywayTop of thread

Views: 4651

Put it this way. I was less than half a mile from Earlsmead 50 minutes before kick-off when diverted. I arrived at the ground at ten past 3! Horrendous. In retrospect, I should have just dumped the car and walked. The entire area was gridlocked. Yes, we would have had many more spectators, but having said that, we merit much much better attendances. If and when we move, hopefully, to the 3G stadium at Kingsbury, we will be able to consign our nomadic existence to history. Backed up by several Hendon youth teams, the future looks bright.

Great overall performance yesterday. Totally agree with Gary's comments, though I do have to say that we were probably unfortunate to have both the disallowed goals ruled out.

Re: To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow ..

By Paul Butler (legacy user)17/11/2014 10:01Mon Nov 17 10:01:21 2014In response to Re: To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow ..Top of thread

Views: 4306

Thought it was a comfortable victory against poor opposition, hopefully a kind draw in the next round and another easy one in the next round to put another couple of grand in.

As for attendances, regardless of traffic, Earlsmead is a pain in the arse to get to, and a dreary, miserable place that doesn't lend itself to creating an atmosphere. Add that to the fact that we've been playing twice a week for most of the last three months, and it's easy to see why an FA Trophy tie (we're normally shite in the Trophy) against lower opposition may be one of those games people choose to save a few quid and have a weekend off.

We're certainly not the only side in our league that has poor attendances, and they are up on last year, so I think criticism is a bit harsh, particularly from supporters of a one team town who are always going to have more chance of getting people in with hardly any competition in the immediate vicinity.

Saturday's attendance

By jimsredwhiteandgreen (legacy user)17/11/2014 16:40Mon Nov 17 16:40:44 2014In response to Re: To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow ..Top of thread

Views: 4222

Paul - Couldn't agree with you more on everything you wrote.

I think some think we have a match attending fan base of 600 or so and only 150 turn up week in week out. We all know this is not the case and therefore John Rice, along with myself will try every avenue possible from now on to see the home gates increased.

If any of you have any possible ideas, we would be happy to hear of them. Awareness to the local primary schools / high schools and colleges around the area is the start, where some of these new day trippers could become regulars.

As Paul said, there are many factors which all add up to our disadvantage in attracting new support to the games, so we must try and get around this. I won't bore you all on here now of our aims to get round this but we will become more active in our marketing campaigns to promote Hendon FC, and fingers crossed it will pay off over the next few months or so.

By Deadman (legacy user)17/11/2014 16:11Mon Nov 17 16:11:27 2014In response to Re: To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow ..Top of thread

Views: 4319

No text

Worthing

By Deadman (legacy user)17/11/2014 16:24Mon Nov 17 16:24:16 2014In response to Re: To paraphrase The Beatles, Yesterday all my troubles were not far away, from Harrow ..Top of thread

Views: 4382

This was a really good performance and went some considerable way to justifying the team selection at Staines. The link play between Da Costa and Taggart caused a lot of problems for Worthing and created a number of good openings. With a little more drive/fitness, Da Costa (I hope the spelling is correct...) could get quite a few goals as well as assists from left wing. His finish on Saturday was very calm. I liked lots of aspects of the performance but this week I've especially enjoyed Dean's work behind the front man. He made a few mistakes in the first half but he didn't let those get him down and kept at it. He seems a very positive character was having the crack with his team-mates. Overall the Hendon midfield dominated throughout and simply wore Worthing down.

In terms of crowd, I agree the traffic caused a lot of problems. I ditched the car the other side of South Harrow high street and walked 15 mins to the ground.

Previous thread: Ebbsfleet by John Fordham17/11/2014 13:42Mon Nov 17 13:42:46 2014view thread