ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: When will we know if we have any players left? by VS AnyoneToday 22:20Today at 22:20:13view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator14/2/2015 11:54Sat Feb 14 11:54:00 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Coventry. by Dougie818/5 22:05Fri May 18 22:05:58 2018view thread

Barrow

By VS Boro16/5 21:00Wed May 16 21:00:54 2018

Views: 811

http://www.barrowafc.com/club-statement-16th-may/

My focus in the next 18 months will be on controlling costs and pushing forward plans to develop both an academy and a secondary facility that can support the football club. These will be crucial to develop local talent and funnel it into the first team. This isn’t a marketing exercise. It is absolutely necessary for the club’s long-term success and viability.

The second key takeaway is that, currently, Barrow is not capable of sustainably competing for promotion in the National League with its current level of support. The club cannot continue to operate outside its means on the back of crowds around 1000. The club is also limited by not having an academy and having no external facility such as proper training facilities in the town for the first team and youth teams, which can also be used as a revenue stream.

I have learned that a club that is reliant on a single shareholder cannot achieve lasting success.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Barrow

By joetowny (Joe)17/5 08:24Thu May 17 08:24:20 2018In response to Barrow Top of thread

Views: 594

its all to familiar a story these days
rich owner rides into town
things look rosy ...for a while
then you hit the buffers.
the upswing stalls
the spending spree falters
outlay of 4 MILLION dont know the returns but willing to bet its still a very hefty sum invested
i wonder what will happen when some of the clubs have to revert back to paddling against the current
this present phase in the non league game will not last
good and bad times always come and go
one day the tide will turn some realism will eventually kick in then we will see a few tears for sure
not saying a R & D will be around every corner but im willing to bet they will make our problems look punitive
for me the bottom line is a one man ownership better known as a sugar daddy is great...till he pulls the plug.
even at LW where doubt now reigns.

By VS Boro17/5 09:16Thu May 17 09:16:37 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 516

Can’t see it changing without FA regulations and policing but the FA does F.A.

I would start with “no loans” longer than theee months unless with a financial organisation.

By joetowny (Joe)17/5 09:25Thu May 17 09:25:52 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 508

where im concerned ignorance rules on such matters
was there some ruling about the fair play league or something similar
might have been at the top end of the game though

By VS Boro17/5 10:08Thu May 17 10:08:52 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 472

The financial fair play (Europe wide) was a good idea but had flaws.
It was based partly on revenue from spectators which led to Man City massively increasing the cost of admission.
Also - I think - it stopped reduced the effect of sugar daddy’s, but didn’t fully stop (say) corner flags being sponsored for millions

By joetowny (Joe)17/5 10:56Thu May 17 10:56:43 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 480

fwiw think the problem is people taking over clubs chucking x £'s at it thus getting into a position it could not possibly hope to attain with i quote 'sensible investment' then wham "im off"
remember who we played pre Middlesboro a little known village team called Histon who run by a sugar daddy got to the CP !! where are they now ?? after he pulled up stumps. im guessing from whence they came
im not saying all investment is bad as Davey has said many times you should really not get involved at the table if you cant afford the menu on offer
investment is just that which should be defined as against loans.
will the guy now part of the Sunderland takeover expect much of his 6 million invested at Eastleigh back, a club i believe he is trying to offload i doubt it
the debt is obviously to himself, as is LT's or so im led to believe.......again loans or investment ??
hobbies can prove to be very expensive

1 person likes this 1 person

By ,shifter (Shifter)17/5 12:02Thu May 17 12:02:44 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 446

Part of the fun is being a part or full time owner of a football club.
Someone has to throw money somewhere,clubs can’t survive without it.
Perfection and cutting cloth to suit ,live off what’s generated at the gate,of course that can’t happen to many going to the wall.
A money man might invest,will withdraw when his passion and pocket say stop.

Nah withdraw the sugar daddie ,ultimately you withdraw the club.
Football at our level need sugar daddies ,although I don’t agree ,sugar daddies much needed short term at least.

By joetowny (Joe)17/5 14:46Thu May 17 14:46:49 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 400

my take is somewhat basic
if ten of us chuck in a quid a week and one goes tits up with the payments then you
a) the other nine take up the slack ie the 10pc deficit ....... or
b) you search for another punter to fill the gap

now, if your on your own and you go tits up then your f####d .............if you get my drift

simplistic. but i know which route i prefer

By ,shifter (Shifter)17/5 15:24Thu May 17 15:24:29 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 440

The problems with people throwing money in,ie a consortium,there surly has to be one “ captain “
Too many cooks spoiling the broth ?
I can see arguments galore,it’s the nature of the beast that folk want to argue.
I cannot see how having umpteen owners will make the Boro successful,I hope I am wrong,Boro need a working board put in place by any perspective owners, and such owners taking a back seat and let a board of just men singing from the same hymn sheet.

Although Boro are only at level six ,it still is a massive ask to run a club like Boro.
I have said before ,imo Dave Sharpe is an ideal bloke to head a board of directors,Boro through and knows the working of Boro and expertise needed. and also I would like a view from the terrace on any such board .
Get the right people in at the helm away from any consortium/ fan base ,and let new owners see how their investment is being handled.

Just my take on how I see things working for a successful Boro,just my opinion have no problem other posters having a say ,but hope my post is not pulled to bits .

By joetowny (Joe)17/5 21:56Thu May 17 21:56:30 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 331

why would your post be pulled to bits
i agree with a lot of the content
i would say the same if i disagreed with it.
there are differing opinions on where and when this club came up short and im not just talking since T##N from my point of view
opportunities were squandered and mismanaged over the decades
you cant turn the clock back so we're stuck with what we have
where we end up i have no idea.

By ,shifter (Shifter)18/5 08:37Fri May 18 08:37:13 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 302

“ where we end up I have no idea.

Hopefully we are at the end of the Neal/Thorne era.
Hopefully we are at the start of a new era,new owners be that a sugar daddie ,business consortium or fan owned / consortium,I hope sugar daddie is the deffo last resort.

Whatever investment Boro get it will be new and priceless,get out the big brush ,away with the Neal/ Thorne cobwebs and start all over again.
I am pretty sure there are local businesses out there who are passionate about Boro

With any new owner/ owners at the helm building will take time.
Convinced if the folk of Nuneaton see there is sincerity in building a better Boro ,stay away fans will return,will be gradual but they will return.
The clock is ticking for the coming season ,but wth patience and understanding sure Boro will kick off with renewed vigour in Con North.

Edited by Shifter at 08:37:50 on 18th May 2018

By VS Boro18/5 11:37Fri May 18 11:37:53 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 271

away with the Neal/ Thorne cobwebs

Whilst I/some did not like the way Town was formed, and was unsure about IN as a person I don't recall many/any being worried about the success in the first six years of NTFC.

Likewise with the initial success of StadiaSafe and later under Brendan Phillips.
Likewise with much of the Noel Kelly era.

Who is to say, a few years after the brush is put away, the same wont happen again.

Football is transient. Boro seem to undergo more peaks and troughs than most.

By ,shifter (Shifter)18/5 18:16Fri May 18 18:16:39 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 260

The successful era under Neal is now the past,hopefully to be joined by thorn.
We have all witnessed the downturn in Boro fortunes under Thorne,

A model that sold players,but did nothing to improve the fans interest.
The Boro badly need a change of direction ,input by investors who want to see a successful team and club ,that way any investment will be worthwhile.
If investors are looking for a profit,then they must work the Thorne way,that we all know will not work.

By boropod (BoroughPod)18/5 19:01Fri May 18 19:01:13 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 232

Apart from missing the word 'not' in between 'must' and 'work' its a great post again Mr S.

By Hullablue18/5 19:22Fri May 18 19:22:30 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 220

This really made me laugh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not interested in your opinion" Tommy Wright, after 6-3 defeat at Blyth.

By ,shifter (Shifter)19/5 07:47Sat May 19 07:47:05 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 155

Well it would ,wouldn’t it ?
Would have made me laugh too...if it was funny that is.

By Vernon Slain18/5 09:20Fri May 18 09:20:38 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 276

Had your morning smoke ?

The ''Model'' didn't work !

By Brucey17/5 16:36Thu May 17 16:36:24 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 393

I always think its better to have differing opinions in any group. Woe betide the group that start off thinking they have all the answers already.

By ,shifter (Shifter)17/5 16:44Thu May 17 16:44:27 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 376

The right people in the right place at the right time springs to mind.
If it's pertinent ,I would suggest anyone/anybody has the answers in place
before questions are asked is not what fans are looking for.
Let's hope we can all move forward together whatever the outcome.

Edited by Shifter at 16:45:07 on 17th May 2018

By Hullablue17/5 17:09Thu May 17 17:09:52 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 365

I would suggest anyone/anybody has the answers in place before questions are asked is not what fans are looking for

Personally I would rather have a board in place that had thought if questions and had answered them before fans even need to ask them.
I cannot see how that is a bad thing.

By ,shifter (Shifter)17/5 17:20Thu May 17 17:20:24 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 366

That's the point .....a board ,half the battle imo

By boropod (BoroughPod)17/5 17:42Thu May 17 17:42:07 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 376

your posts are definitley the highlight of my day at the moment Mr S.

By Larry17/5 18:12Thu May 17 18:12:19 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 355

Things can’t be that bad! 😜

By ,shifter (Shifter)17/5 18:23Thu May 17 18:23:47 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 351

At least I ain't been rubbished......yet.
😁😁

By ,shifter (Shifter)17/5 17:58Thu May 17 17:58:07 2018In response to Re: BarrowTop of thread

Views: 346

Take it you are having a bad day.
☺☺:)

By VS Boro17/5 12:56Thu May 17 12:56:53 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 432

Perfection and cutting cloth to suit ,live off what’s generated at the gate,of course that can’t happen to many going to the wall.

and that's what I believe LT has tried to do (but not as successful as would be hoped).
I honestly believe if Boro' did that, then Conf-north would be a dream (unless all other clubs followed the same approach)

By Hullablue17/5 12:24Thu May 17 12:24:18 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 416

So rather than a football club cutting its cloth so it spends no more than it earns, you would rather they have sugar daddies throwing an unsustainable level of money at them that will leave them screwed when sugar daddy gets bored or skint?

Is that your position or have I misread?

By ,shifter (Shifter)17/5 12:30Thu May 17 12:30:45 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 413

You have misread.
I said perfection is living off the gate,I also said can’t happen too many would go to the wall.
I also said I don’t like sugar daddies ,I when the passion and pocket stops so does the interest.

Money has to come from somewhere,if there are no sugar daddies and insufficient gate money just where does the money come from ?you tell me.
Fan owned ?who knows.

By Hullablue17/5 12:38Thu May 17 12:38:30 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 411

There are more revenue streams than gate money, and the revenue streams can be enough if clubs cut cloth to suit.
There is no need for sugar daddies if clubs do not spend more than they earn.

By stone ragma17/5 11:24Thu May 17 11:24:57 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 447

Believe Eastleigh/Sunderland owner is not asking for any money back, which imo humble opinion is how it should be

By almost average 217/5 15:12Thu May 17 15:12:54 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 390

As with most things in life there are good & bad examples .
Good examples are someone with money but that investment is used wisely . Money put in is not one day expected back , money is spent on improving infrastructure & developing ways of the club being sustainable once he is not around . Money man sticks around for the long run , including when things don't go his way .
Then there's the other . Money poured into the team by someone who either does not have the funds to keep going long term , doesn't really care about the club and throws his toys out the pram first time things go against him .
People often use FGR as the ultimate example of unsustainability at this level but how long have they been funded now 40 years at least and still going strong . Lots of money has been poured into the infrastructure not just the team and he has stuck with it for years when despite his money they continually missed out on promotion , they even got relegated one season but got repreved .
I'm sure the likes of Cheltenham & Burton haven't got where they are just by good management . Money has gone into both but been used wisely / well ./ sensibly .
Of course there are plenty of bad examples as well .
Someone putting money into a club is not a bad thing if it's done correctly by a stable individual .

Edited by almost average 2 at 15:49:41 on 17th May 2018

By stone ragma17/5 09:34Thu May 17 09:34:17 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 474

Was for the top clubs, but seemingly some find a way round them

Salford

By almost average 217/5 19:45Thu May 17 19:45:28 2018In response to Re: Barrow Top of thread

Views: 380

At the other end of the scale have today signed .
Two players who were regulars at Fleetwood last season , one was their captain .
A player ( Whitehead ) who was regarded as one of the main reason for Macclesfields surprise success last season .
Wouldn't surprise me if they go through that division in one season .

Previous thread: Borough Brothers. by Bo Montrode16/5 14:01Wed May 16 14:01:36 2018view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Town AFC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Town AFC. Nuneaton Town AFC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.