Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Surrey sYesterday 15:31Yesterday at 15:31:35view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Danny Bassett cracks a hat-trick .. by Follow the Swans30/4/2014 16:35Wed Apr 30 16:35:50 2014view thread

You got no fans, you got no atmosphere!

By Wakes (legacy user)27/4/2014 09:15Sun Apr 27 09:15:21 2014

Views: 3109

Is what the Wealdstone Raider will be chanting when he visits Wheatsheaf Park next season.

Beer in hand, he will be full of admiration for our "Football League quality" facilities, the best pitch in the league, the fact we host Chelsea Ladies and hopefully our winning style of football, but at the same time will be completely baffled as to why a club with such great facilities and success has not done what is required to get more fans through the door? He will be thinking "This club finished last season in the highest ever position in its history, played its nearest Football League Club in the FA Cup and on top of that, two FA Trophy games against ex top flight club Luton Town.

So where are the fans????? This season we had an average of 278 people come through the gates of Wheatsheaf Park, a figure which by even Ryman Premier standards would see us in the bottom half of the attendance table.

Despite the success we have achieved on the pitch, I feel this attendance failing has now come to a head and it has come to the stage where enough really is enough! This club will never get fans through the gates all the while the atmosphere is quite literally about as alive as a Dodo. The club will never be self funding all the while this issue is not addressed. I have been saying this for years but the club will not listen. Instead it moans that there are too many local clubs in the area for us to compete with a fan base, whilst those other clubs continue to deliver what we cannot. "Atmoshere" quite simply there aint none. And do you know why because I do and its perfectly obvious staring right there in your face.

"There are two whopping great voids behind both goals"

There, I said it and I know what the club's reply to that statement will be and that is that "we cannot get the land behind the left hand goal because the farmer won't sell." Fair point, however there is a small section of land behind the goal that is a few yards deep, behind that there is another fence. Now I stand to be corrected but isn't that piece of land between the two fences ours? If so, why has it not been utilised as part of the ground thus giving us more room behind the goal? This is SCREAMING out to be developed into a small covered terrace which will then BINGO give us atmosphere. And what does atmosphere bring us?...... "FANS"

It may well be that the club has bigger long terms plans for the future as to regards to developing this end of the ground but I'm thinking more short term just to get a bloody atmosphere and get some fans through the gates.

I will even put up a grand of my own money to get this CRUCIAL issue sorted, I don't even want re-paying, I think if all the fans put some money towards it we could do what Spelthorne Sports have done and do it ourselves. The club needs to wake up, it aint rocket science.

Other than that congrats on a highly successful season, long may it continue on the pitch even if it don't off it.

Wakes.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: You got no fans, you got no atmosphere! by Dom weir27/4/2014 10:43Sun Apr 27 10:43:43 2014

Previous thread: '' The joys of non league football '' by Andrew6727/4/2014 11:20Sun Apr 27 11:20:11 2014view thread