Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Surrey s8/5 15:31Wed May 8 15:31:35 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Positive Vibes by Surreysage18/7/2022 10:36Mon Jul 18 10:36:57 2022view thread

Re: Some important information…

By DevonSwan2/7/2022 16:00Sat Jul 2 16:00:58 2022In response to Re: Some important information…

Views: 2251

This is a really difficult one for me, and a decision that has given me more than a few sleepless nights since the announcement at the recent Supporters Club meeting. I'm sure I am not the only one present at that meeting who was expecting to hear the announcement of the formation of a new Phoenix Club; instead of which we are being asked to throw our support behind an existing Club, Staines Lammas. After hearing the arguments behind this decision I can understand it from a logical perspective. It means that we will be at a higher level than had we formed the Phoenix Club; and we have a ready made team to hopefully take us to the next level. I'm sure also that the financial situation will be easier.However, no matter which way you dress it up, Staines Lammas means nothing to me; you may as well ask me to support Egham Town FC. A Phoenix club, owned by the supporters, would have been a totally different proposition. It would essentially have been STFC under a different name; because the heartbeat of it would have been the supporters and committee of STFC. The Pheonix Club would have been something that excited me, but I am struggling to feel the same about being part of Staines Lammas (or should I say Staines & Lammas). Thinking also of other Phoenix clubs, AFC Wimbledon immediately springs to mind - they not only climbed back to their position in the Football League but they were also able to claim back the the history of the old Wimbledon FC. Surely any chance of claiming back the history of STFC would be very difficult, if not impossible, for Staines Lammas, as they already have their own history back to 1926.
To sum up, I feel that this decision has been made with the 'head' rather than the 'heart'. Football, and my support for STFC came from the heart, and my heart is struggling with the idea of supporting Staines Lammas. Good luck to those who throw their lot in with Staines Lammas, and all the people who made this decision are people I respect greatly, but at the moment it just doesn't work for me. RIP STFC.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Some important information… by Surreysage3/7/2022 00:45Sun Jul 3 00:45:40 2022

Previous thread: Loat for words by Stainesfc4/7/2022 22:26Mon Jul 4 22:26:35 2022view thread