Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Surrey s8/5 15:31Wed May 8 15:31:35 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Positive Vibes by Surreysage18/7/2022 10:36Mon Jul 18 10:36:57 2022view thread

Re: Some important information…

By Devon Swan part deux3/7/2022 20:09Sun Jul 3 20:09:57 2022In response to Re: Some important information…

Views: 1896

I think what my fellow Devon Swan is trying to say is;

Supporting a football club comes from the heart and not your head. People ask what made us travel to watch Staines get hammered over the last few years. Why would we spend 9 + hours trying to get to Lewes v Staines on a hot summers day and get no further than 80-100 miles before turning round in the holiday traffic when we realised we wouldn’t make it before 5pm let alone 3! If you answer with your head then people say we must be mad, ours wife’s certainly think we are! However, when you answer with your heart and say you can’t really explain it but you have a passion and love for the club then it will make more sense to some, others will probably still think you’re mad. It would certainly be easier and a lot cheaper if it was a simple as walking down the road and supporting one of the local clubs. But these clubs do not ‘mean’ anything to me, watching them does not have the same affect on my emotions, it’s just a game of football but it doesn’t mean anything if they win or lose. I could leave my house at 2.45, watch a game and be home by 5.15 but I don’t do that because I’d rather drive 170 miles each way to watch Staines Town FC lose 9-1. Why? Because it means something to me!

Logically speaking, from a head perspective the move to Staines and Lammas FC makes 100% total sense. Was at the meeting a few Wednesdays back and you can totally understand why the steering committee have chosen to take the path they have. I totally respect the time and effort they have put into the club, which without them would have certainly folded sooner than it has., so this is not a criticism of them. However, my heart says we will now never know if we could have made a Phoenix club work. Our own club, grounding sharing at Staines Lammas FC, before making our way back Wheatsheaf Lane and climbing a few divisions. Think of the excitement we would have had as we win our first league game, first vase match, first FA Cup match, first promotion. My heart would have got behind this team as well as whatever finances I could spare. Even if it had failed then we could have all said, ‘well at least we tried.’

As it is Staines Town FC have been reduced to an ‘and’ which is heartbreaking :(

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Some important information… by gregs3/7/2022 19:22Sun Jul 3 19:22:26 2022

Previous thread: Loat for words by Stainesfc4/7/2022 22:26Mon Jul 4 22:26:35 2022view thread