Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Am I right in saying… by John Blair23/4 20:12Tue Apr 23 20:12:00 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: FANS Forum / First Team Manager update ... by Follow the Swans7/1/2015 10:23Wed Jan 7 10:23:47 2015view thread

Concord away

By Andrew67 (legacy user)5/1/2015 11:04Mon Jan 5 11:04:24 2015

Views: 2169

Couldn't fault the players for effort yesterday , sadly conceding in the 1st minute yet again hampered the game greatly .
A bit more luck in front of goal and maybe better finishing and who knows .

When I got home I tweeted to concord that their pitch was ''an embarrassment''

The comments and replies I received were comical . They varied from '' we get more rain in Essex ''
To '' if the game had been played on a carpet the score would have been 6 or 7 nil ''

In my original tweet I didn't blame the pitch for the result , I was purely passing an observation on how utterly atrocious the pitch was .

Seems there a bit touchy down in Essex

Don't Forget

''Its all swings and roundabouts ''

reply to this article | return to the front page

Concord Away

By VW Swan (legacy user)5/1/2015 11:25Mon Jan 5 11:25:26 2015In response to Concord awayTop of thread

Views: 2224

Agree Andrew I think the pitch inspection must have been done by Stevie Wonder! - certainly not Conference South standards. That said it didn't effect the result as Jack pulled off some tremendous saves 2nd half and I thought he was M-O-M. We just didn't create enough clear cut chances to test their keeper.

1 person likes this 1 person   

Re: Concord Away

By John Blair (legacy user)5/1/2015 17:11Mon Jan 5 17:11:51 2015In response to Concord AwayTop of thread

Views: 2129

Felt that we deserved a draw yesterday.
Their pitch was a disgrace,easily the worst we have played on this season. The word 'Quaigmire'spreads to mind.

Pitch

By Troy McClure (legacy user)5/1/2015 18:58Mon Jan 5 18:58:44 2015In response to Re: Concord AwayTop of thread

Views: 2038

Luckily we have a great pitch now - but it wasn't that long ago that the pitch at Wheatsheaf Lane/Park was far worse than the one at Concord!

Pitch

By VW Swan (legacy user)5/1/2015 20:50Mon Jan 5 20:50:41 2015In response to PitchTop of thread

Views: 2057

Thanks Troy for the reminder but I wasn't comparing like for like - just thought the pitch yesterday wasn't up to Conference standard, although it made no difference to the result. Didn't realise you were there yesterday as it would have been a pleasure to finally meet you

Pitch

By Troy McClure (legacy user)5/1/2015 22:17Mon Jan 5 22:17:46 2015In response to PitchTop of thread

Views: 2004

Oh I didn't mean it that way at all! I was just musing upon the old days when visiting teams used to say the same thing about our pitch!

Concord

By Dave_LW (legacy user)5/1/2015 19:18Mon Jan 5 19:18:34 2015In response to PitchTop of thread

Views: 2117

I wasn't there so cannot comment but a couple of independent reports on the match are on the (Tony Kempster) Non league forum. One is repeated in full below. Bit much calling the Staines fans odd :)

Any fears this match would be in doubt after yesterday's deluge were quickly dispersed, after the little hoovering machines cleared excess water from the pitch in the corner nearest the entrance, and other areas first thing in the morning. Pitch was very heavy and a mudbath in places, but played fine. A roll up sleeves job.

As for the game, a pretty comfortable win for Concord against the basement side. Although they should have won this by a country mile, given the many chances they spurned. The Staines keeper was the only one who could say he did a good job today, with a strong of fine saves. The other ten and subs certainly don't look like a team with any belief they can improve their situation, and were pretty hopeless all over the park. They will be back in the Ryman Premier next season, unless there is some kind of miracle.

The game was decided after barely sixty seconds, when Concord broke upfield, Cawley was allowed the freedom of Canvey down the left, and time to square to Taaffe to tap in from close range. Bar the odd slight concern - a good tackle on the edge of the box, and the corner across the home side's six yard box, it was the hosts who continued to pile pressure on the Staines goal. The keeper - in a rare mistake - had a rush of blood to the head in racing out his goal, but Concord couldn't capitalise, then atoned for that with a good tip round the post from a Taaffe free kick, though the corner was almost scrambled home. The thirty-odd Staines fans here were absolutely scathing about the goal conceded.

Cawley then nearly scored a fine solo goal, bursting in to the box, but running straight in to a defender at the vital moment. Some alarm for Concord at the back, with a ball in the box striking a hand (ball to hand IMO), and stand-in keeper Rachoni making a good low save, but really Staines were a little fortunate to be only a goal down at the break.

An electrifying start to the second period, with Concord continuing to do everything but find the back of the net. First the keeper superbly clawed Fry's header round the post. Then from the corner, the ball fell to Taaffe, who crashed a shot just inside the box against the underside of the bar, with the loose ball fired just wide. Ogilvie then found space to the left side of the box but dragged his shot badly wide, with the rebound then well blocked by a defender. The chances continued to stack up, with the Staines keeper making a good stop to push Cawley's drive behind. Then a cross a whisker over the head of Fry at the far post, and a ball slipping Ogilvie through in the box, but the keeper was alert and just got to the ball in time. And again he denied the Beachboys when Taaffe turned in the box, but he beat the shot away, with the corner then missing everyone in the six yard box.

All these spurned opportunities spelt trouble for Concord, with Staines having a few chances late in the game - the keeper making a good low save from a half volley in the box, a ball in to the penalty area that was almost turned in before being hacked clear, A player in down the right should have done better than drag an effort wide of the far post, although they did have a cross go across everyone in the penalty area, when it just needed a touch late on. Overall though, the final ball from Staines was awful, the strikers had no service, and apart from a couple of smart low saves to smother the ball, the Concord keeper had a quiet afternoon. Staines could have played until midnight and not scored. In added time, the home side had another chance to make the game safe, but once again the visiting keeper denied Cawley from point blank range. In the end though, it was a case of job done for Concord, who with games in hand, look like netting another solid mid-table finish, although they might look at aiming a little higher. Staines' Conference time appears to be coming to an end.

Was glad to get back in the car after a freezing misty afternoon on Canvey.

Re: Concord

By Anonymous (legacy user)5/1/2015 21:20Mon Jan 5 21:20:00 2015In response to ConcordTop of thread

Views: 2020

Independent, yes of course it is, that's why they mentioned every Concord player by name, yet didn't mention Jack by his name not once, one thinks this was done by a Concord supporter...........I agree the pitch was playable but only for park football, and the state of the ground was a disgrace, pay £10 to get your shoes covered in mud, only good thing about the place was the chips..........

By Dave_LW (legacy user)5/1/2015 21:47Mon Jan 5 21:47:07 2015In response to Re: ConcordTop of thread

Views: 2092

The guy who wrote it is a massive non league fan of all levels (was at Chatham v Aveley on Sat), but who lives in East Anglia. As as result sees a lot more of clubs in that neck of the woods and therefore knows their players as opposed to Staines or other clubs south & west of London.

By Andrew67 (legacy user)6/1/2015 08:44Tue Jan 6 08:44:20 2015In response to Re: ConcordTop of thread

Views: 2103

I would like to state for the record that neither on here or in my twitter spat with the concord fans and officials did I blame the pitch for the defeat.

Even their Manager & Chairman joined in claiming ''Staines fans making silly comments about the pitch''

Firstly I thought it was a good turn out for Staines fans , around 30 travelled to Canvey Island on a Sunday a week after Christmas , add to that the weather was woeful and we re bottom of the league.
Some teams in this league would be grateful of such loyal support .

I received a couple of direct messages on twitter from players thanking ''the fans'' for making the journey.

And I personally would like to thank the club for waiving the travel fee for supporters on the coach

Don't forget

''ITS ALL SWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS''

By John Blair (legacy user)6/1/2015 20:03Tue Jan 6 20:03:30 2015In response to Re: ConcordTop of thread

Views: 1848

I would also to echo Andrews comments about the free coach travel.
It was much appreciated by the 11 of us supporters who travelled on the coach.
I would also like to say that Martyn Spong and Mark Fabian were appreciative of the supporters,including those who travel under their own steam,who have continued to follow the team despite the fact that we can't seem to 'buy a win'

Previous thread: From the website... by Follow the Swans5/1/2015 19:47Mon Jan 5 19:47:11 2015view thread