Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Am I right in saying… by John Blair23/4 20:12Tue Apr 23 20:12:00 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Nicky Forster post-Hemel video interview by www.FootballExclusives.com4/3/2015 19:56Wed Mar 4 19:56:54 2015view thread

Where has it all gone wrong?

By Anon (legacy user)4/3/2015 06:42Wed Mar 4 06:42:21 2015

Views: 2029

So, as we contemplate the reality of life back in the Ryman, where has it all gone wrong this season? Discuss..

reply to this article | return to the front page

Where has it all gone wrong?

By Anonymous (legacy user)4/3/2015 08:04Wed Mar 4 08:04:43 2015In response to Where has it all gone wrong?Top of thread

Views: 2050

The squad is nowhere near good enough at this level. Aside from the keeper there isn't anyone else who would command a regular place in another Conf South side. Possibly 1 or 2 who might be squad players eg Max Worsfold and Lodgey but other than that its pretty thin. Shakey at the back, not a lot of creativity in midfield and I'm afraid on the showing of the last few games absolutely nothing up front. The starting front 2 from last night wouldn't score 10 goals a season between them at this level.

You have to lay most of the blame at the feet of Mr Gayle and the Board. Marcus for assembling a squad this weak and the board for letting him do it. I've watched a number of homes games this season and was amazed by the lack of coaching and instruction from the dugout by the manager. Is it correct that they were training on the sand based astro at the Hockey club? If correct it just about says it all. He seemed unable to bring in any players even when Louie had gone to Farnborough and presumably had some budget freed up.

Personally I think the board should have stepped in a couple of months earlier and made a change to give a new man the chance to turn things around and throw the kitchen sink at it in an attempt to stay up.

Don't be fooled into thinking that there is a possibility of bouncing straight back. Have a look at the teams around the top of the Ryman Prem this season, Maidstone, Margate and Dulwich and the crowds they pull in every week!

Do Staines have the budget and ambition to compete at the top end of the Ryman League next season?

Re: Where has it all gone wrong?

By Danswan (legacy user)4/3/2015 08:15Wed Mar 4 08:15:13 2015In response to Where has it all gone wrong?Top of thread

Views: 1908

I agree 100% with every word you have said, Except I don't think we can blame the club. The manager should be bold enough to make decisions and stand by them. Gayle is to blame fully for our position.

Staines Towns Most Wanted

2 people like this 2 people   

By Wakes (legacy user)4/3/2015 09:18Wed Mar 4 09:18:31 2015In response to Re: Where has it all gone wrong?Top of thread

Views: 1935

The problem lies with the mentality of the manager/squad at the start of the season. Last year we had a great run in to the season to finish in eighth place and could have made the play offs had the seaon lasted longer. Unfortunately it led everyone to believe we were better than we actually were and that is all it was, a good run. The mentality at the start of the season should have been as underdogs, not promotion contenders. That is where we went wrong and we got found out as early as the second game of the season against St Albans. With a more realistic mind frame we would have been safe in midtable this season and I hold Marcus entirely to blame for thinking we were better than we actually were. He then played the kids who are clearly not up to the job, something Steve Cordery was criticised for not doing enough of but you can now see why. Cordery knew what he was doing where as Marcus didn't and that's why we will be playing Ryman football next season.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Andrew67 (legacy user)4/3/2015 11:09Wed Mar 4 11:09:06 2015In response to Re: Where has it all gone wrong?Top of thread

Views: 1827

All points made so far have been spot on !

For me the writing was on the wall when we suffered defeat at Hemel . That 5-1 result was men versus boys , a team newly promoted who on that day and again yesterday looked streets above us on the pitch.

''if we do go down, we will go down fighting''

The new manager uttered these words upon taking over the helm. He said this before he had seen the team kick a ball . in hindsight I reckon he wishes he had held his tongue on that comment . we are heading to the Ryman with a whimper .

And don't forget

'ITS ALL SINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS'

By John Blair (legacy user)4/3/2015 17:36Wed Mar 4 17:36:26 2015In response to Re: Where has it all gone wrong?Top of thread

Views: 1861

The squad lacks depth and apart from 4 or 5 players are not good enough for the Conference South.
Marcus placed too much emphasise on youth and did not replace Lewis Ferrell and Jordaan Brown in the close season with players of similar calibre.
A number of the young players that Marcus chose to introduce are not good enough for this level at this point in their footballing career.
The problem is that when you are doing well you can slot in a youngster without it really having an effect on the team performance.
When you are up against it as we have been most of the season you cannot rely on inexperienced youngsters to get you out of a hole. Putting the likes of Luke Neville,Danny Bassett,Joe Aribo,Erivaldo Felix into this situation could have a detremental effect on their futures as footballers.
We seem to be playing out the season and he performance last night was that of a team that knows they are down.
I hope that we pull off 3 great away wins in the next 2 weeks against fellow relegation threatened teams, but if we play like we did last night, and against Harrow Boro last week , i can't see it happening. I hope i am wrong.

Previous thread: Fixture Update ... by Follow the Swans3/3/2015 17:28Tue Mar 3 17:28:19 2015view thread