Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Surrey s8/5 15:31Wed May 8 15:31:35 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Preparations for a new season by Arthur8/5/2020 10:01Fri May 8 10:01:40 2020view thread

Result

By scouser27/3/2020 16:42Fri Mar 27 16:42:49 2020

Views: 1043

To think a couple of weeks ago we were convinced we were relegated, and now here we are joint top. This new managers not bad is he.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Result

By Arthur28/3/2020 08:46Sat Mar 28 08:46:30 2020In response to ResultTop of thread

Views: 961

It is a really great outcome. As all our results have been expunged, it means we didn't lose 7-1 at Bracknell, nor get a 1-1 home draw to Northwood ....... But if the results are expunged, as if the matches never happened, surely it follows that red and yellow cards must also be expunged as it is as if the matches were never played, so our heroic performance with just 8 men left on the pitch is a mere figment of the imagination.

We need to keep hold of the manager and trust his judgement in getting a squad together for next season. That is the job of the Chairman.

And on a personal PS, if the matches never really happened I guess Chris, who I sit with, never really got so many 50/50 consecutive losing tickets!!

By Surreysage (Norm)30/3/2020 09:51Mon Mar 30 09:51:11 2020In response to Re: ResultTop of thread

Views: 900

Understand this decision still needs ratification-and it looks as if in excess of 50 NL clubs have objected. However , it still seems to me to be the fairest ,logical and above all the safest way forward in these difficult times.

By Arthur30/3/2020 12:38Mon Mar 30 12:38:25 2020In response to Re: ResultTop of thread

Views: 879

From what I have read the main "protesters" are teams looking as though they are certain to get promotion. What is needed is for the Football League and the Premier League to understand that logically this season cannot be completed before the end of June. This will mean many players becoming "out of contract" etc - meaning any possible subsequent attempts at completion will become less satisfactory. Sadly this upper echelons of the soccer pyramid are more guided by money than common sense. The write off of this season should be inevitable. However soon I think we will ee many top clubs starting to struggle for existence. The whole game is becoming threatened. Promotion and/or relegation will not be as meaningful as survival. For that I hope we are in quite good position thanks to the Chairman. Here's hoping. I think we are in a situation where even Bill Shankly would be saying some things are more important than football. I think out ongoing message should be ash your hands, and STAY SAFE.

By Arthur31/3/2020 19:20Tue Mar 31 19:20:33 2020In response to Re: ResultTop of thread

Views: 785

66 teams complaining about the decision - mostly those close to promotion ....... any change to the current decision will mean those teams (including us) will be complaining. Now the National League are on the verge of taking the same decision ...... why on earth can't we just say this season is written off ...... There's not enough time to finish this (professionals don't do double headers!!!) season. Let's hope we will get enough time to get ready for next season. Take care!!

By Rebel Yeller9/4/2020 09:19Thu Apr 9 09:19:15 2020In response to Re: ResultTop of thread

Views: 709

I accept that the season will end prematurely, although i think that the decision was made too quickly and other options were possible at the time but not considered but so be it. We are promised more Covid 19 spikes next winter so there is no guarantee that next season will be completed either.

What i and many others object to is the "null and void" aspect. There was no need for that. The FA just needed to declare "season unfinished" and leave the tables as they are. There is unlikely to be any promotion or relegation unless to fill gaps so what does it matter. What "Null and void" does say though is that the FA consider this level of football unimportant. That all of the effort put in by players, volunteers, officials, supporters and everyone else was a waste of time. In my mind this is just disrespectful and showed a lack of thought and consideration by the FA.

By Arthur9/4/2020 10:23Thu Apr 9 10:23:36 2020In response to Re: ResultTop of thread

Views: 711

At the level where the results have been expunged, there is no transfer window and therefore by "continuing the season at any given point in time the club is in a position but the teams representing that club will be very different from that which was competing at the time the games ceased. The only reason that this hasn't happened at the higher levels currently is the money involved. It is reported that to cancel the Premier League at this time would cost the Premier League £1.6 billion. However, the English Football League are struggling and there is talk that many clubs in the lower leagues will never be able to return. Again in Europe the top clubs, with the financial gains from European competition are reluctant to take the only logical step. It is the money that is stopping the same treatment as we have that is preventing this decision being taken globally. It is the clubs ... not the players. You will have seen what clubs are doing furloughing (not sure if that is a correct verb) staff whilst continuing to honour players contracts. Players seem to be acting responsibly. However the money and targets should be at corporate senior executives, hedge fund managers and senior politicians ..... but football is an easier target than looking at themselves in the mirror. We are in an awful state, nationally, and questioning sensible decisions seems somewhat unnecessary.

By Arthur9/4/2020 19:18Thu Apr 9 19:18:46 2020In response to Re: ResultTop of thread

Views: 704

Having had my rant ..... I now see the first Premier League club (Southampton) are deferring salary payments to playing staff and the manager. I suspect a number of EFL clubs and National League clubs will not survive this elongated break. This may mean surviving clubs may even get unexpected "promotions" to replace those clubs that have to fold. We need to realise the season will never be finished ..... Cramming matches into a short space of time with unfit squads. This at a time when clubs are complaining about playing too many matches and in need of a summer break ..... I don't need to go on. We need to say thank you to our Chairman and to the stewardship of the supporters club (in the persons of David and John) for ensuring that our club may well be a survivor. Roll on next season and hopefully "we will meet again." Please stay safe

By Arthur2/5/2020 08:49Sat May 2 08:49:44 2020In response to Re: ResultTop of thread

Views: 666

Manchester United players are taking legal advice over missed pay rises that would cost them up to a combined £50m if coronavirus means the season concludes. This quote is from todays papers. It really explains why football is in a cleft stick and not yet universally taking the only logical decision that has been made in our league to expunge results. Do you side with the players? Should they forgo contractual requirements. Yet from the clubs perspective, why should they pay increases if the season did not happen? This is also at a time when the club has lost its main income stream through the gate and from TV rights. They may also be suffering from diminishing sponsorship payments. It is all about the money, and not about what is best for the game. Play the games on neutral grounds? Why? is that fair. If a team has played more away games to this point in time. I really do think there is only one answer for football - but money talks. The higher the level in football the harder it is for people to realise that the game is more important than the money.

We are still not sure when football can restart at any level. Probably the most optimistic time is July or August. This then impinges on the following (2020/2021 season. It's not like the which came first, the chicken or the egg? Its which came first, the game or the money ...... Let's get some common sense.

Previous thread: Appearances for season 2019/20 (First Team and Youth Team) by swanstuff19/4/2020 22:04Sun Apr 19 22:04:09 2020view thread