Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Surrey s8/5 15:31Wed May 8 15:31:35 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Vote for Jacob Adams by V W Swan31/5/2020 17:00Sun May 31 17:00:43 2020view thread

Good news

By V W Swan19/5/2020 11:32Tue May 19 11:32:09 2020

Views: 862

Just seen the following on the website:
The club is pleased to announce that for next season we will be reverting to the old style club badge and the more traditional Old Gold and Royal Blue home kit which is hoped will also be available in the club shop for supporters to purchase (subject to suppliers). Pictures of the kit will be released as soon as available.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Good news

By DevonSwan27/5/2020 13:22Wed May 27 13:22:35 2020In response to Good newsTop of thread

Views: 682

I expressed my dissatisfaction at the time with changing the colours and crest, and so am delighted with Jo's decision to revert back to the traditional colours and badge. To some of us tradition is important (ask any Cardiff City fan). Delighted too that Steve was allowed to design the new shirt.

And as for STFCfan's comment regarding Premiership crests; to many of us STFC is as important if not more so than any Premiership club. I am also an Arsenal supporter and the demise of that once great club stems back to leaving Highbury (when they also changed the crest!). AFC has lost its 'soul' unfortunately and swapped an iconic stadium with tradition and atmosphere for a new soulless stadium ( or the 'library' as some call it). Change is not always good, and thankfully I think Jo has realised that.

And as for AFC and the Swans, they may be at completely different levels but STFC comes first in my affections.

By Surreysage (Norm)20/5/2020 11:56Wed May 20 11:56:09 2020In response to Good newsTop of thread

Views: 732

More good news seeing the golfers enjoying a round on the course over the back here-looks as if the concept of social distancing is a little difficult for some. We have been so lucky to have had this fabulous space available for our time out during the last few months. Who could have thought of seeing kiddies cycling down the fairway or new parents pushing a pram over a lush green.
What crazy times.
We have been blessed with near summer like weather and cursed with a deathly virus forcing us to stay indoors.He up there certainly knows how to test our resolve.
What crazy times.
The boundry rope has stayed in the clubhouse and not ball has been delivered on the 22yds of turf that has been lovingly prepared for months .No Jack has been trundled over the green and the groups of white clothed enthusiasts discussing whose closest are no where to be seen. Discussions are still ongoing about when the football season can resume and if not, how the winners and loosers will be decided.
What crazy times.
The skys are quiet and the air is cleaner, the eviromental protesters must be pleased, and think about all the health benefits .Companies and public are now complaining that they need to get back to the old ways of crowded airspace and filthy air.
What crazy times

What is for sure is that the lockdown isnt just about fear it very much about love and solidarity that has come through our local communities in bundles and shines like a beacon for the future.

Very aware in these uncertain times, how important Heathrow, the Airlines and the thousands of supporting businesses, large and small,are to the local community and hope these crazy times become a bad dream sooner than later.

Best wishes to all -take care and stay safe

Edited by Norm at 11:58:09 on 20th May 2020

By GeeJay (GJ)19/5/2020 21:03Tue May 19 21:03:38 2020In response to Good newsTop of thread

Views: 762

I’d suggest this is less to do the nuances (!) of badge / shirt colour (welcome though this may be) and more a positive statement that the STFC ownership sees a genuine future for the club in such troubled times. Something that, I’m sure, is not so certain for some clubs at our level (and above).

By Arthur19/5/2020 12:40Tue May 19 12:40:53 2020In response to Good newsTop of thread

Views: 783

I am pleased that this has interrupted the conversations between two senior citizens somewhat akin to the last of the Summer wine. I will gladly speak to "Norm" when we return to normal and meet again at Wheatsheaf Park. I welcome the return to the "old badge" and our traditional colours. However, it does beg the question about why we changed in the first place; what did it cost the club to change and how much will it cost the club to revert. This is all money that could and should have been spent on the quality of playing staff to ensure we remain competitive on the field of play. The "pie in the sky" dreams of football league and kits befitting higher status should be shelved until we need to think about those things. Right now we need to think about getting back to the Isthmian League Premier division and being able to compete at that level. Once that is established we should start thinking about National League South and maintaining a position in that league. That may well be a 10 year plan ..... If we do it faster we can all shout Hallelujah. However we need to be realistic in our plans. National League South will mean a much bigger wage bill (probably twice the current bill| - maybe more) which means increased attendances from our own environment (there will be an increase from the away teams). We will certainly need more advertising/ sponsorship income and to ensure that we at least maintain, if not improve our ground facilities. This needs close cooperation between the club; the fans and our community. It needs input from us all, and the rewards of better quality football are there for us and one succeeding generations. I am glad about the announcement about the badge and kit ..... but what was the original change all about. Answers please.

By Surreysage (Norm)19/5/2020 14:45Tue May 19 14:45:55 2020In response to Re: Good newsTop of thread

Views: 767

More good news -euphoric-must go and have a lie down.

The key to me is the manager- concerns me that although Paul Barnes is shown as manager on the club website the Chairman made no mention of him . Very strange

To be a strong Non League club that is always pushing to get into the play offs will be good enough for me. (after getting out of this very poor league)

Your answer Arthur----------change for the sake of Change......................the first of many knee jerk decisions

OH yes while we are at it lets spend money on re positioning the dug outs.

and painting the pitch side walls.

Oops no money left for the playing budget -silly me

Edited by Norm at 14:47:09 on 19th May 2020
Edited by Norm at 14:47:45 on 19th May 2020

By John Blair19/5/2020 18:04Tue May 19 18:04:38 2020In response to Re: Good newsTop of thread

Views: 743

I can also confirm that none of the painting costs came out of a playing budget.
All costs for paint etc was paid for by the Supporters Club having been purchased at a substantial discount from Brewers Decorators Merchants.
All painting and moving of dug outs was done by volunteers at no cost to STFC.
In fact , Norman , you were there - volunteering yourself - creosting and repairing fence panels when many volunteers were at STFC undertaking this type of work.

On the subject of the club crest i think that it is good news that Joe has decided to revert back to the old colours and club crest.
The change made 2 seasons ago definitely upset a number of older supporters , and i think that reverting back is a good thing for the club to do.

By V W Swan19/5/2020 15:37Tue May 19 15:37:07 2020In response to Re: Good newsTop of thread

Views: 752

Sorry Norman but got to jump in here. I guess until the club know when the new season might start then it is difficult to prepare & plan for the year ahead, although I am sure Steve has already been busy already behind the scenes. Will it start in August as usual or could it be next year as some are saying; at the moment nobody knows so I guess no playing announcements can be made until things are a bit clearer. You are right Paul is listed as manager on the website so I guess he is still in situ and presume we will hear about the playing plans once dates for the season are announced. As for moving the dugouts that was done free of charge by volunteers and the paint paid for by the supporters club which John got a huge discount on - so did not come out of the playing budget as you say. The supporters club continue to raise money through the summer through membership renewals and many have continued to subscribe to boost the budget through the close season which will hopefully put us in good shape when the new season does finally start. People have moaned about a lack of communication from the club - well there have been two announcements this past week, yet that is never enough for you! I am sure we will hear more as the weeks unfold. Remember it is still only May!

By Eggyjamesfanclub19/5/2020 15:55Tue May 19 15:55:42 2020In response to Re: Good newsTop of thread

Views: 750

I know what Donald Trump would say to Surrey Sages Posts, " FAKE NEWS" !!!!!!!

Why do people post without thinking ? People will read that and believe it even though it is factually incorrect !

I know we are all going a bit stir crazy at the moment but even I can remember the post on here thanking fans for moving the dugouts and painting the ground.

By V W Swan19/5/2020 16:01Tue May 19 16:01:37 2020In response to Re: Good newsTop of thread

Views: 762

And in answer to Arthur's point I guess when someone buys a company and don't forget the football club is a LTD company then they want to put their own mark on it whether it be by changing a badge or kit, surely that is their prerogative. I know having worked for several companies that have changed hands in the past things change whether you agree with them or not. The good news I take from the announcement is they are not scared to admit maybe the change wasn't for the better, and I know many supporters have asked for the old badge and kit to make a return, well we have it now !

By STFCfan19/5/2020 16:50Tue May 19 16:50:06 2020In response to Re: Good newsTop of thread

Views: 781

I think it is good news returning to the old crest and old gold and blue. Having said that I completely understand the decision made previously to update the branding and kit, it would bring elements of the club into the 21st century and having modern branding makes sense. I’ve seen people disagree with the change of branding more than if a premier league club changed their crest! In terms of the cost, it doesn’t cost anything to redesign a logo, and the cost of putting that on a kit is minimal, the cost of changing the kit itself would have been the same no matter what colour and branding the club chose so again no extra cost. It’s good news the manager is still on the website, with so much uncertainty going on, especially at our level of of football with other clubs struggling and having to use ‘gofundme’ pages, we can count ourselves very lucky. And we are certainly in a fortuitous position when the only thing people can moan about is the cost of changing a crest!

By Arthur20/5/2020 15:20Wed May 20 15:20:36 2020In response to Re: Good newsTop of thread

Views: 742

As I have said earlier on this thread I am an accountant. I have worked for a number on FTSE 100 companies and a couple of FTSE top 10 companies. I do understand rebranding and have been involved in more than one -from the finance side. A director of one rebranding company described me as an artistic philistine. However proper rebranding is normally expensive, and to use a Yorkshire phrase, you don't get owt for nowt ...... I cannot comment on the cost of the rebranding of the badge and the kit. Personally I was always happiest with the original kit. However, from my experience, rebranding and its success usually flows on from the success of the business. One company I worked for rebranded at a cost of over £2m. \The chief executive ultimately had to resign ostensibly because the re-branding didn't work and its adverse affect on the share price from cost control. The fact of poor general performance was, in my opinion a bigger factor. My comments on this forum in mid May were in fact complimentary to the Chairman for indicating the likelihood of the club remaining in existence when many, including football league clubs, may not be in a financial state to carry on. However, none of us should ever be exempt from criticism. We should be able to apologise to all impacted when we are wrong and to defend ourselves (as I am doing here) when comments are unjust.

Previous thread: New Kit Release by Danswan_12126/5/2020 15:31Tue May 26 15:31:07 2020view thread