Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Surrey s8/5 15:31Wed May 8 15:31:35 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: This afternoons game by Norm23/2/2019 18:38Sat Feb 23 18:38:33 2019view thread

Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)

By swanstuff8/6/2020 22:57Mon Jun 8 22:57:30 2020

Views: 805

As the previous question is fizzling out to a spectacular damp squib, here's something else for you to ponder...

Our records aren't quite complete for the period since the Club got back on its feet (1943) to the present day, but they're pretty close. I have 4177 fixtures on record between those dates, against 373 different clubs.

All those figures are slightly "grey" - it depends on what you count as a "different club". I've been reasonably generous, but not completely rigorous, but for the purpose of this question:
I count a new club if two clubs we've played against before join together (but I have made a handful of exceptions, if it seems that one club massively dominates the other in the merger, and they keep the former's ground).
I count a new club even if it has the same name, if a whole new entity starts up at a new ground, and seems to be 'poaching' the record of the old.But I count the same club, if it's a simple name change, a merger with a team we've not played before, and even in most instances where it's a bankruptcy but a replacement club starts up (with the same or similar name) at the same ground.
As I say - there are some exceptions, but I'll not be too harsh on you for falling foul of those!

Now, out of those 4177 games, over one third of them have been against just 29 different clubs (each of whom we've played 39 times or more) I count friendlies, so occasionally we'll meet an "XI" or "Reserve" side, but they count as part of the same Club.

Your task is to identify the 29 clubs. For each one you suggest, the first person to mention it gains 1 point. But beware - if you state a team that's NOT in the top 29, you lose a point.

There you go then: start naming the teams we've played most over the last 77 years!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)

By swanstuff9/6/2020 23:08Tue Jun 9 23:08:17 2020In response to Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)Top of thread

Views: 572

Right - two takers on the first day. Let's see how they scored:

I'll underline the teams who score you a point (with the number of meetings after them in brackets). Teams already mentioned will just be listed, but with no further detail, and won't score. Teams outside the top 29 are struck through, and cost you a point.

Colin Oaten +15 - 8 = 7 points
Kingstonian (inc Kingstonian XI) (41)
Wimbledon (5)
Hendon (73)
Enfield (38, bad luck!)
Wycombe Wanderers (31)
Dulwich Hamlet (41)
Tooting & Mitcham United (43)
Leatherhead (51)
Slough Town (inc Slough Town XI) (41)
Sutton United (44)
Woking (39)
Hayes (51)
Bromley (54)
Walton & Hersham (52)
Carshalton Athletic (52)
Hampton (inc Hampton & Richmond Borough) (93 - easily our most played opponent)
St Albans City (29)
Boreham Wood (74)
Harrow Borough (inc Harrow Town, Harrow Town reserves) (77)
Wokingham Town (29)
Harlow Town (31)
Maidenhead United 53
Ware (7)
Corinthian-Casuals (17)

Albatross +4 -5 = -1 point
Vauxhall Motors (33)
Harrow Town/Harrow Borough
Dulwich Hamlet
Dagenham (I included Dagenham & Redbridge) (26)
Enfield
Wycombe Wanderers
Hendon
Woking
Walton & Hersham
Leytonstone (9)
Ilford (5)
Walthamstow Avenue (20)
Hayes
Tooting & Mitcham United
Boreham Wood
Ruislip Manor (inc Ruislip Manor Reserves) (51)
Carshalton Athletic
Molesey (58)
Barking (inc Barking & East Ham United) (39)
Worthing (39)
St Albans City
Leatherhead

I think Albatross paid the penalty for Colin Oaten getting his selections in a bit earlier, consequently 10 of his correct answers (and 3 of his wrong ones) didn't count.

There are still nine point-scoring clubs to identify, so feel free to keep guessing - new players and the two who've already had a go. But beware ... there are also 331 other teams lurking around to catch you out and cost you a point!

Edited by swanstuff at 23:25:54 on 9th June 2020

By swanstuff17/6/2020 18:58Wed Jun 17 18:58:40 2020In response to Re: Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)Top of thread

Views: 529

Since this thread has dried up, here are the clubs against whom we have had the most fixtures in the last 77 seasons:

93 Hampton / & Richmond Borough
77 Harrow Borough / Town / reserves
74 Boreham Wood
73 Hendon
63 Uxbridge

60 Kingsbury Town / 584
58 Molesey
54 Bromley
53 Maidenhead United
52 Carshalton Athletic
52 Walton & Hersham

51 Hayes
51 Leatherhead
51 Ruislip Manor / reserves
45 Rayners Lane
44 Sutton United
43 Tooting & Mitcham United
42 Slough Town / XI
41 Dulwich Hamlet
41 Kingstonian / XI
41 Marlow
41 Wembley
40 Bishop's Stortford

40 Crown & Manor
40 Croydon / Amateurs
39 Barking / & East Ham United
39 Basingstoke Town
39 Woking
39 Worthing

The ones in bold print are still going strong and so can be added to in the future, but the others don't exist (or have merged), and so thesenumbers cannot be added to. I have included Crown & Manor in the latter group, although it would seem that the club does still exist - however, they don't seem to have entered an adult football league for quite a while, and they now seem to be concentrating on other activities.

If anyone's in the mood for a follow-up question - how about trying to name as many of the clubs we've met just ONCE in this period? There are 82 of them, by my reckoning...

By albatross9/6/2020 20:23Tue Jun 9 20:23:34 2020In response to Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)Top of thread

Views: 567

Steve, you know I have a fairly comprehensive collection going back to even pre-war, but, a lot of gaps. I have that feeling that there maybe the odd Spartan League club in there somewhere. But, I haven't got a full list. Hopefully some of the following will hit the mark
Vauxhall Motors
Harrow Town/Harrow Borough
Dulwich Hamlet
Dagenham
Enfield
Wycombe
Hendon
Woking
Walton & Hersham
Leytonstone
Ilford
Walthamstow Avenue
Hayes
Tooting & Mitcham
Boreham Wood
Ruislip Manor
Carshalton Athletic
Molesey
Barking
Worthing
St Albans
Leatherhead

Probably miles out.

By Colin Oaten9/6/2020 17:35Tue Jun 9 17:35:56 2020In response to Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)Top of thread

Views: 572

Bromley, Walton & Hersham, Carshalton, Hampton, St Albans, Borehamwood, Harrow Borough, Wokingham Town, Harlow Town, Maidenhead, Ware Corinthian-Casuals.

Colin Oaten

By Colin Oaten9/6/2020 17:30Tue Jun 9 17:30:03 2020In response to Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)Top of thread

Views: 568

Enfield, Wycombe, Dulwich Hamlet, Tooting & Mitcham, Leatherhead, Slough, Sutton,Woking, Hayes.

Colin Oaten

By Colin Oaten9/6/2020 17:20Tue Jun 9 17:20:27 2020In response to Lockdown Lunacy number 2 (another silly quiz)Top of thread

Views: 567

Go on then,ill have a stab to begin lol. Kingstonian? Wimbledon? Hendon?

Colin Oaten

Previous thread: Supporters Work Parties by V W Swan28/5/2019 13:05Tue May 28 13:05:23 2019view thread