Return to front page

Newest article: Re: New season new venues by ArthurToday 07:00Today at 07:00:58view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: http://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/southern-league-step-three/11201/here by Adidasmanuk8/9/2014 12:22Mon Sep 8 12:22:49 2014view thread

Maidenhead

By Andrew67 (legacy user)6/9/2014 20:37Sat Sep 6 20:37:46 2014

Views: 1694

Right I've waited a few hours to write todays musings, mainly because I was slightly fuming when I got home earlier.

Firstly it was nice to see some new faces at Wheatsheaf Park today, I know there were some sceptics surrounding the whole non league day stuff but 430 came through the turnstiles today, and who knows some might return.

To the game ..
from my standing position between the dugouts, it was clear from the kick off that the assistant referee and referee had no control of the visiting manager. he was prowling well outside his technical area, and being overly aggressive regarding decisions.
Although the incident which led to Sanchez being sent off happened right in front of us, our view was obscured by the dug out. The sending off for Maidenheads manager was correct IMO as grabbing an opposition player around the throat is totally unacceptable.
Why Sanchez was dismissed I have no idea.

The referee today was very poor but lets not allow that to distract from another home defeat.

Last season Wheatsheaf Park was a fortress for us, this season its been more like a sand castle being attacked by the approaching tide.
Strange when you take into account this is pretty much the same side as the last campaign.
Sports all about taking your chances, thankfully Maidenhead didn't take to many of theirs today or the score could have been much, much worse.
Things need to turn around the cream of the league are rising to the top and we could be in danger of fighting it out with the dregs at the bottom ....

Awaiting your thumbs down with anticipation :)

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

Re: Maidenhead

By Dave-LW (legacy user)6/9/2014 21:55Sat Sep 6 21:55:32 2014In response to Maidenhead Top of thread

Views: 1650

Report from a neutral on the non league forum "where did you go?" Section:

Staines Town 1 Maidenhead United 2
Conference South
Admission £6 (normally £12, but I was suitably outraged to use my student card), attendance 430

This game started off well, but all the action was really in the first half hour. Staines took the lead in the second minute, with Maidenhead equalising after around 10 minutes. The game was a little tetchy, but a flare up seemingly over nothing led to the Maidenhead manager and a Staines player having a bit of handbags. This resulted in a straight red for the Staines player and the Maidenhead boss being sent to the stands.

The rest of the half was fairly even, with Staines probably having the two best chances shortly after the red card - both unmarked headers from left-wing crosses. One was headed high and wide; the other brought the save of the match from the Maidenhead keeper.

The second half was dominated by Maidenhead, but they spurned chance after chance before eventually scoring the winner. A late spell of Staines pressure at the end came to nothing.

The ground itself is a bit of a mix. The 500-seat main stand is built into the back of a leisure centre complex and looks rather new. Opposite is a series of Atcost-type metal terrace stands, probably covering about two-thirds of the length of the side. Both ends are effectively paths, although there are a couple of raised steps in the area behind one goal.

I also spent a bit of time in Staines town centre before the match - I don't think I've ever seen so many mobility scooters outside of a seaside town. However, the walk to the ground along the bank of the Thames was lovely.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: Non League Day by Andrew676/9/2014 12:41Sat Sep 6 12:41:08 2014view thread