ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Sports Psychologists by PaulioToday 00:50Today at 00:50:42view thread

Oldest article: Luke Amos by scaz_QPR27/6 15:33Thu Jun 27 15:33:39 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Changes by Bladders10/9 14:12Tue Sep 10 14:12:02 2019view thread

Re: GW Part IV

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)11/9 10:57Wed Sep 11 10:57:55 2019In response to Re: GW Part IV

Views: 434

As Chuds says, one spell in three was good.

Westley Mk I came at a time when I barely went to the football (other commitments/heroin addiction) but I think the history books show it didn't really work. Westley Mk II was absolutely fantastic. A once in a generation squad of players tearing the place up. He left, in my opinion, prematurely: not just for Stevenage FC but on a personal level as, if he'd waited until the summer, he could have had his pick of teams instead of settling for Preston. Westley Mk III was 18 months of abject football, with little belief, followed by 4 months of decent football. His team selections and countless reorganisations throughout the match (which had been, up to a point, successful during his second spell) shone a light on the madness. It was only a much-needed improvements towards the end of that ultimate season that got us into the play-offs. As I've said elsewhere, he inherited dross from Smith so they carry some of the blame, but not all of it. I thought it wrong to let him go at the end of his second season, but I also understood that the first 18 months of non-football had already made the board's mind up, so I could see why they went (wrongly) with a big name manager with no experience.

Ultimately, 2012 was a long time ago. I really can't see Westley getting anywhere near replicating that again. It's time to move on. In my opinion.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

Next article in this thread: Re: GW Part IV by Deano11/9 20:13Wed Sep 11 20:13:06 2019

Previous thread: A fresh start Saturday. by WASP10/9 19:48Tue Sep 10 19:48:30 2019view thread