ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Fa cup 1st round draw by Mr Happy SFCToday 12:02Today at 12:02:09view thread

Oldest article: Q&A time by Boromatt14/8 11:46Wed Aug 14 11:46:01 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Changes by Bladders10/9 14:12Tue Sep 10 14:12:02 2019view thread

Re: GW Part IV

By Stevo-return11/9 13:03Wed Sep 11 13:03:49 2019In response to GW Part IV

Views: 536

Hi all.
Firstly, I’d like to say, thank you Dino, you’ll always be a legend at this club. It’s a shame it didn’t work out for you on the managerial side.
I’ve not been on here for a few years. However, with the club in its current position, I felt the need to express my own personal opinion.

Over the last 20-years, the club has tried several managerial styles.
There was the Sheringham approach to bring positive attention, and thereby boost crowds. That didn’t work.
Then there was Stimson, who left as soon as a ‘better’ offer came along.
Darren Sarll’s appointment seemed, because of his success with the youth team to be a good shout. As it proved, there are several miles between U18’s and the first team
Gary Smith, appeared a good call, but again, there’s a huge gulf between ‘soccer’ and football.
Peter Taylor, and I get why, but boy-oh-boy was that a bad one.
Wayne Turner, just never really happened.

In between all of these attempts was one man. We all obviously recognise who that was.

So, my points are:
Consider for a moment all your favourite players over the last twenty years. Our only concern was which Championship side would try to buy these players come the end of the season.
Recall your favourite games, home or away.
Remember the best atmosphere at any game, home or away.
Think about the best cup games, and remember that whomever it was we were playing, we went into it believing we could win, and often did.
Mull over how it felt when the club that we love had a siege mentality. Whereby, we knew everyone hated/disliked us and we loved it that way, not caring how big a teams reputation was, we were going to roll them over, and we did.
Remember what it was like when we had the same back 5 (4 n keeper) for almost two consistent seasons.
All this was under one man, and again we all know who this is.

For sure, it is not good to go backwards. Sometimes though, you need to take one back to then take two forward. I read one of two refer to GW as a dinosaur. He is in his 40’s and that tag just doesn’t fit. For sure, some say it didn’t work out elsewhere for him. He was given a few months to perform miracles with egotistical players and arrogant infrastructures. Currently, we are going backwoods, in spite of the money spent.

If Graham can swallow his pride and apply for the job, then Phil should also swallow his pride, for the sake of the club. Importantly, under GW the average attendance was up by 300, that’s £6000 a week. Do a pole of all the stay-away fans and I believe you’d be shocked how many have not been since GW left, because with him went belief and atmosphere.

Now, I have no doubts Mark Sampson has a great pedigree. However, as a male coach, he is unproven. Do we have to once more go down an optimistic route?

I now live over 100-miles from the ground; however, I would be happy to do that round-trip if GW was in charge. Why, because I would know what to expect. A team that would battle until the end, with a belief that they could beat anyone. Importantly, the resulting atmosphere would be once again bouncing...

Imagine what GW would have done with all the money Dino has splashed out.

Steve

PS, say what you want, this is just my opinion as a life-long fan.

reply to this article | return to the front page

15 people like this 15 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Next article in this thread: Re: GW Part IV by GWisKing12/9 10:19Thu Sep 12 10:19:50 2019

Previous thread: A fresh start Saturday. by WASP10/9 19:48Tue Sep 10 19:48:30 2019view thread