ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Cowley by Owen BToday 20:18Today at 20:18:25view thread

Oldest article: Oldfield is back officially by Donnellyrd5/11/2019 15:59Tue Nov 5 15:59:07 20192 people dislike this 2 peopleview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Jerome Okimo by Rotterdamboro10/12/2019 20:33Tue Dec 10 20:33:55 2019view thread

Re: Next League Win

By AgentEves10/12/2019 22:43Tue Dec 10 22:43:58 2019In response to Re: Next League Win

Views: 350

Last season is irrelevant because the majority of the team is different and the manager is different. I also watch the team every week, and we haven't raised our game against anyone. We are second from bottom, which means that we can't win games. That is a fact, that isn't an opinion.

Just because I point out that it isn't good enough, and demand more from the team/manager, doesn't mean that I have to come up with a solution. That isn't how it works. Are you suggesting that people should stop campaigning against homelessness, or against world hunger, because they don't have a solution for it?

That said, I will humour you... We need to play a different formation, or we need to play in a style that suits the players we have. Not just crowbarring them into a formation that doesn't really get the best out of them. One option would be:
- With players like Cowley (great work rate) and List (great speed) and Guthrie (great strength) I would be encouraging the team to press from the front. Play 4-3-3 with a high line and harass the opposition into mistakes. When Newton comes back, he will fit into this system perfectly, and arguably so would Kennedy.
- Our players should look to press from the front in a way that encourages the opposition to move inside with the ball, towards our midfield 3.
- We should be setting pressing traps and dictating where the opposition goes, rather than reacting to where they go.
- Support the front three with two strong and mobile midfielders who can press in the secondary; Carter and Lakin can do this perfectly. So can Parrett, when he's fit. Then behind them you put a half-back or a holding midfielder, Digby fits this role perfectly. He's tall, will win a lot of aerial battles, but also has experience at centre half so can drop back into the back 4 whenever the full backs are pressing up high.
- The full backs should aggressively press the opposition wide midfielders when the ball goes out wide, with cover from the centre backs and a holding midfielder/half-back.
- Centre backs need to be encouraged to play the ball through our central midfielders, not hoof the ball aimlessly up the field. That requires good movement from the midfielders, particularly the holding midfielder, who should always be looking to get into positions where he can receive a simple pass from the defenders. He then lays it onto one of our two more creative midfielders, and we build an attack from there.
- We should be looking to be sensible with our possession when we have it, and press aggressively when we don't.

If you'd like for me to come up with a different solution, I'd gladly do so, but I think at least attempting something other than what we're doing now would be a reasonable start.

I'm not getting on the players' backs. Or the managers. I'm posting on an online forum. If they want to come on here and read about how shit I think they have been, then more fool them, but they also won't be reading anything that shouldn't already be obvious to them. Again, the league table doesn't lie. We are second from bottom and our performances have been akin to that.

Blindly supporting the team is just accepting that things are bad. You can demand more. Being a supporter means many things to many people. If you want to pay your money every week and quietly accept mediocrity, then more fool you. Being vocal about expecting more from the team doesn't make me a bad supporter. I'm not expecting us to play like Brazil, but it would be nice if we got out of our own half on occasion.

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Next article in this thread: Re: Next League Win by Bladders (Wolfie) 10/12/2019 22:57Tue Dec 10 22:57:23 2019

Previous thread: Training by WASP9/12/2019 20:24Mon Dec 9 20:24:39 2019view thread