ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Stevenage Programme/Teamsheet Help by BaldockYesterday 19:46Yesterday at 19:46:18view thread

Oldest article: O Goals by Willo915/2 17:58Sat Feb 15 17:58:48 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Russell Slade by Sort it out Graham22/2 18:07Sat Feb 22 18:07:51 2020view thread

Re: Revs Interview - SG1 Radio

By AgentEves21/2 16:34Fri Feb 21 16:34:33 2020In response to Re: Revs Interview - SG1 Radio

Views: 632

I think this is something else we maybe overlook about lower league footballers... is their ability to handle pressure.

Anyone who's watched England at a World Cup, with the exception of 2018, will know that even the top players in England can't handle pressure very well. Especially when that pressure comes as a result of the media or the general public getting on their back for making a mistake. And those players are at the top of their game - physically, technically and of course mentally. As you move down the divisions, I think the player's ability in each of those categories will start to diminish. There's players with great technical skills, but who are poor physically, etc.

So maybe the pressure of being at the bottom of the league has a much bigger effect on the players mental state than we are giving allowances for. I'm not making excuses for them - they're professional players so they need to figure it out - but I don't think it has really been discussed just how utterly shit being at the bottom of the league will be making you feel.

I think Revs is just trying to be positive, just as Wezzle was before him, and Sampson before that. The players likely don't need any additional pressure on top of the pressure they're already putting themselves under. These players probably all dream (or dreamt at some point) that they might play in the Premier League, so fighting at the bottom of the league isn't where they want to be. They're not just going to roll over and accept it because they "don't care". Or at least I hope they wouldn't.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people

Next article in this thread: Re: Revs Interview - SG1 Radio by Ratman4620/2 08:35Thu Feb 20 08:35:32 2020

Previous thread: Stevenage Soccer AM crossbar challenge by Loin Hunter22/2 13:18Sat Feb 22 13:18:18 2020view thread