ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Mark Roberts by Stevenage FC InterviewsYesterday 23:01Yesterday at 23:01:30view thread

Oldest article: Oh well... by RockyBottom7/3 16:35Sat Mar 7 16:35:56 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Season will probably be stopped. by WASP11/3 14:41Wed Mar 11 14:41:03 2020view thread

Re: Where did it go wrong ?

By Thora9/3 09:29Mon Mar 9 09:29:12 2020In response to Where did it go wrong ?

Views: 828

We've sort of touched on it elsewhere but after we won the Conference, Phil Wallace didn't really know what to do with it in footballing terms* and has fumbled around blindly in the dark since then appointing manager after manager to deal with the fundamental issue of never having a good enough squad, not wanting to invest any more of his money into a capable squad or manager**, relying on players from the youth team who might be good enough even though they clearly weren't, not having somebody in the office who understands football while all of this change was going on and relying on his son-in-law to have a list of players for our vast number of managers to choose from***.

As has been said elsewhere, this has been coming for a long time. We've been a shambles on the pitch for years and it hasn't been addressed even remotely.

We've relied on the naïve/stupid/incorrect belief that we could significantly increase attendances in order to increase revenue to invest in the playing squad and we continue to press on with that belief even though 15+ years of attendance initiatives have done very, very little to actually improve the gate to the level required.

We've focussed on building a fucking great big North Stand that we didn't need and couldn't afford to the detriment of everything else (and managed to triumphantly fuck that up as well****) just so that we can now, barring a miracle, have a lovely stadium for our games in the Conference.

As fans, we've (and I include myself as one of the worst offenders) allowed this to happen by taking league football for granted, for being apathetic, for being too nice and not demanding at least some answers.

For wanting to be friends with board members or playing staff more than wanting them to perform properly for our club.

For just accepting that every bit of our tiny history can be erased with the swipe a Microsoft Paint rubber, starting with our name and then finishing with our badge.

The long and the short of it is that we're getting what we deserve as a club and as a town. If Stevenage cared about having a football league club, they'd turn out for it. They don't and they haven't since about 1998.

I just hope that, once the stand is fully signed off and Phil has put the final piece of the jigsaw in place to ensure the utmost return for himself, he sells it to someone with one iota of football knowledge before he fucks off to America.

* The business side of things is unbelievably good
** No, I'm not suggesting he should invest more heavily if the business doesn't sustain it
*** YeS, I kNoW hE sAvEd Us FrOm GoInG bUsT. Save your breath.
**** I know it looks lovely now but what a fucking balls up we made of getting done

Edited by Thora at 09:31:16 on 9th March 2020

reply to this article | return to the front page

12 people like this 12 people

Next article in this thread: Re: Where did it go wrong ? by Pat11/3 14:56Wed Mar 11 14:56:44 2020

Previous thread: Super Computer Predictor by Boromatt10/3 14:42Tue Mar 10 14:42:17 2020view thread