ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Super proud sponsors of Alex Revell IDST

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Season ticket gestures of goodwill by Chet ManleyToday 20:56Today at 20:56:06view thread

Oldest article: Match thread by BasingstokeBoro26/12/2020 14:05Sat Dec 26 14:05:02 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Difficult to judge against 10 men by Balders20/3 18:54Sat Mar 20 18:54:17 2021view thread

Our Mentality / Moving into Next Season

By AgentEves16/3 21:47Tue Mar 16 21:47:26 2021

Views: 1324

So I think, for the most part, people are pretty content with the way things have gone during the second half of this season. We're slowly creeping up the table, unbeaten in 8 games, and not conceding many goals. We have kept up the good defensive record, but we now win more games than we lose.

The main criticism at the moment is the 0-0 draws. No-one wants to see them as regularly as we have seen them, and I know I'm not alone in preferring that we attacked games more often. We have shown on a number of occasions that we're capable of doing so successfully and it would be so much more inspiring if we didn't appear to approach every game as if we are happy with a draw.

That said, the more positive spin is that the 0-0s have now become the 'negative' results, since they are coupled with more wins than losses. There have been 19 games since our 4-0 loss away at Carlisle on December 12th. Of those 19 games, we have lost 3 (2 of which were by a single goal), drawn 9 (6 of which were 0-0) and won 7. Although the 0-0s are frustrating, things have improved. It isn't perfect, but it's definitely better than it was last season.

However, I will continue to be frustrated by the 0-0s, because I strongly feel that we could have turned a lot of those 0-0s into wins, simply by being more positive. We don't need to abandon our defensive solidity in pursuit of winning games, we just shouldn't enter games with such a defensive mindset. We are better than that.

Had our form over the past 19 games been our form over the 34 games we have played this season, we would have (approx) 13 wins, 16 draws and 5 losses, which would give us 55 points and put us in 8th place, 1pt off the playoffs. If you add to that a little less of a defensive mindset where we turned 1/4 of our draws into wins, 1/4 into losses, and 1/2 remained draws, we would have picked up an additional 4pts, which would have us in 4th, 3pts off top spot. We aren't relegation fodder anymore. We are playing like a playoff-contending team. We have to approach games with that mindset.

Moving into next season we have to take the next step. Assuming we can keep the bulk of this team together (obviously I understand the loanees will go back to their parent clubs), and can add players of a similar calibre, I really want to see us heading into games with a positive mentality. Instead of fearing teams, and considering ourselves lucky to come away with a draw, we have to try to win every game we play. We are better than holding out for 0-0s most weeks.

I'm overall feeling pretty positive now that I have crunched the numbers. I hadn't appreciated quite how much better this season has been than last. I just want to see us take the next step, especially moving into next season.

Edited by AgentEves at 22:38:26 on 16th March 2021

reply to this article | return to the front page

11 people like this 11 people

Next article in this thread: Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next Season by Copeysaurus17/3 22:06Wed Mar 17 22:06:01 2021

Previous thread: POTS so far? by Copeysaurus22/3 09:57Mon Mar 22 09:57:53 2021view thread