Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Revs Interview by PeteYesterday 21:28Yesterday at 21:28:58view thread

Oldest article: Match thread - Oldham (A) by Owen B2/4 14:18Fri Apr 2 14:18:56 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: East Coast Boro by Deltic 2122/4 13:30Thu Apr 22 13:30:40 2021view thread

Re: The Gary Smith era

By AgentEves10/5 20:27Mon May 10 20:27:58 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith era

Views: 667

Yeah, this isn't true.

Miguel Comminges, Bondz N'Gala, Oliver Risser, Lee Hills, Greg Tansey... there were a lot of mercenaries and a lot of shit in that team. Lee Hills is potentially the worst player I've ever seen.

He also made some atrocious decisions - dropping Robbo, playing Tansey as a No.10 despite him being outrageously immobile, and dropping Luke Freeman. And then some slightly less bizarre decisions like refusing to even give Shroot a chance, despite him scoring for fun in pre-season playing as a no.10 behind Haber (not saying this would have worked, but his refusal to even try it, despite us being total shit, was always strange to me).

I don't really care that he has done well in MLS. Sure, Colorado are a tiny market team, and he did fantastically well to win an MLS cup with them, but MLS is SO bad that I think anyone with an ounce of tactical nouse would do reasonably well. And that's coming from watching a lot of MLS over the past few years. Most teams are disastrously unorganized, and given that Smith's forte was giving a team a good defensive grounding, it doesn't surprise me he has done well.

Smith wasn't as bad as most make out, but he wasn't at all good. He had a good little run which was largely from the momentum generated by Westley. There was a winning mentality there, and sure, Westley poached a few players, but Smith didn't know how to stop the slide after the 4-0 loss to Swindon. That was where it all went wrong. The wheels came off, and he quite clearly had no idea how to rectify it. He even said himself that he couldn't put his finger on what went wrong - the ultimate kiss of death. If you, as a manager, don't know how to turn things around, then you might as well pack your bags.

Like I say, he wasn't the worst, but he wasn't good, either.

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people

Next article in this thread: Re: The Gary Smith era by SFC Jonny11/5 11:41Tue May 11 11:41:01 2021

Previous thread: Luke Norris by Sev6/5 17:57Thu May 6 17:57:32 2021view thread