My view on recent form
I just wanted to make a thread giving my view on what I believe are the main issues with the team at the moment, mainly 3 points.
Number 1: Tactics and homework (on opposition)
This has been probably my main issue throughout the season. There have been so many games (including yesterday) where the tactics have cost us massively along with the clear lack of homework we do on other teams. I’ll use yesterday as an example. Playing 4-3-3 on an open, wide pitch with 2 slow midfielders, against a side that like to get the ball wide with 2 fast players was extremely naive. Away from home, play a strong, tight midfield, keep the game tight with 20 to go and nick a result. It’s a fact that we score a lot of goals in the last 20 minutes of games, just keep in the game. IMO we seem to win and always lose the next game solely down to the fact that we play exactly the same tactics in the next game. Problem is, every team is different and you have to play a certain way to counteract the other teams strengths. Something we’ve lacked massively.
Number 2: Midfield
A concerning issue for me is our midfield. Something which has concerned me since the start of the season. I think Joel and Micheal are two experienced, class operators. But unfortunately lack pace and energy in the middle, because of this we get overrun too much in games, therefore leading to silly goals conceded. I feel for the back 4 and the amount of pressure the back 4 have had to deal with for the past few months. I’ve been there before as a centre half and when the middle of the pitch aren’t doing their jobs properly in tracking runners etc, it makes it so tough to be able to stop goals going in. Luckily, the transfer window is open and Dino IMO needs to invest in a big, strong, athletic midfield player to provide a bit more stability in the middle.
Number 3: Players not performing/players not been given a chance.
Another thing that seems to be holding this team back is there does seem to be some players underperforming when there are players on the bench who aren’t getting enough game time. Ben Kennedy, a great talent, great skills, but, isn’t cutting it. Gives the ball away a lot and for me doesn’t have enough impact to which he should have given his talent. At the moment Ben seems to be a luxury player. He’ll do something superb once in a while (goal at Luton and at home against MK Dons) but other than that doesn’t contribute enough. We have some really good players on the bench that hardly get any game time. Sonupe should be used a lot more and would give us pace and a threat out wide. Alex Reid, (I know his suspended) should be given more time, has pace and can score goals. James Ball, a tall lad, proven that he can score goals and would add a little extra in the midfield. Just 3 examples of players that should be playing more and would definitely help our issues currently.
Those 3 points IMO are the real main issues that I currently think are occurring with this team. To have 11 wins and 11 losses, with only 5 draws shows that we struggle seeing out results, that all comes down to the tactics. If Joel and Micheal are starting, put 5 in the middle, make it difficult for teams to break us down. However, I do think this team have so much potential and we do have a lot of experience with players who have played at the top of the division for many years. Yesterday was shit, the next 4 games are really important in getting out this blip we seem to be in. 3 teams down the bottom, Crawley, Morecambe and Yeovil, where we should be picking up at least 6-7 points. IMO we’re only 12 points away from definitely staying up this season, let’s get that done and dusted and then see where we are in relation to the top 7. Thoughts?
Edited by Boromatt at 00:48:10 on 7th January 2019
- My view on recent form by Boromatt7/1 00:40Mon Jan 7 00:40:09 2019 5 peopleview thread
- Re: My view on recent form by Sev7/1 20:58Mon Jan 7 20:58:48 2019 3 people
- Re: My view on recent form by Boromatt9/1 08:42Wed Jan 9 08:42:59 2019 1 person
- James Ball by Rotterdamboro7/1 16:04Mon Jan 7 16:04:24 2019 1 person
- Re: James Ball by Rob SBFC12/1 16:48Sat Jan 12 16:48:48 2019
- Re: James Ball by Lops9/1 09:41Wed Jan 9 09:41:02 2019
- Re: James Ball by Boromatt9/1 08:45Wed Jan 9 08:45:02 2019
- Re: James Ball by Ratman469/1 09:36Wed Jan 9 09:36:58 2019
- Re: James Ball by Cruffers9/1 10:35Wed Jan 9 10:35:48 2019
- Re: James Ball by Ratman469/1 11:39Wed Jan 9 11:39:48 2019
- Re: James Ball by Sev7/1 20:40Mon Jan 7 20:40:36 2019
- Re: James Ball by Puds7/1 19:55Mon Jan 7 19:55:55 2019
- Re: James Ball by Ogs7/1 16:31Mon Jan 7 16:31:28 2019 1 person
- Re: James Ball by WASP7/1 17:43Mon Jan 7 17:43:32 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by RockyBottom7/1 15:33Mon Jan 7 15:33:56 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by bentucker24037/1 14:34Mon Jan 7 14:34:53 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Copeysaurus7/1 15:04Mon Jan 7 15:04:35 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by WGC297/1 12:23Mon Jan 7 12:23:44 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Bankerbob7/1 12:35Mon Jan 7 12:35:10 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Ratman467/1 13:47Mon Jan 7 13:47:14 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Copeysaurus7/1 15:05Mon Jan 7 15:05:08 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Ratman467/1 15:08Mon Jan 7 15:08:04 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Pat7/1 09:29Mon Jan 7 09:29:21 2019 1 person
- Re: My view on recent form by Sev7/1 20:45Mon Jan 7 20:45:26 2019 1 person
- Re: My view on recent form by Ratman467/1 22:10Mon Jan 7 22:10:19 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Balders7/1 07:24Mon Jan 7 07:24:13 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Cruffers7/1 11:54Mon Jan 7 11:54:40 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by Hitchin Callling7/1 07:55Mon Jan 7 07:55:17 2019
- Re: My view on recent form by RockyBottom7/1 15:32Mon Jan 7 15:32:42 2019