BOROCHAT

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Gareth Ainsworth by SFC JonnyToday 11:30Today at 11:30:02view thread

Oldest article: 5Live by Deano18/1 15:51Thu Jan 18 15:51:46 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: Odds - Updated"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: Odds - Updated

By Chuds26/4 09:23Fri Apr 26 09:23:32 2024In response to Re: Odds - Updated

Views: 658

Can only speak for myself, and will add that I said I am coming round to him in the post you replied to, but I think a lot of my issue is/was the club he managed than him himself entirely. Wycombe have always been utter dickheads.

But there are a lot of similarities with the two clubs, especially during the spells that our fans loved (GW and Evans). The football Wycombe played under him was horrible to watch, definitely far more direct and worse than us under GW and Evans, but it worked. And ultimately we are never going to succeed at this level playing good football as we cannot afford the players to do so, so any attempts to play that style will result in our results not being as good. And ultimately fans are more interested in results than football - just look at the past couple of seasons for proof.

The other thing was they were the absolute masters of dark arts under him, again far worse than we were under GW at our worst. That annoyed me when we did it, and annoys me when others do it, as I believe it is cheating the fans out of action they have paid for. But again, if we are doing so whilst winning then our fans will go along with it.

What he does have massively in his favour is a history of overachieving with them. Not only did he have them fighting at the top end of L1 for a long time, but he got them promoted into the Championship against all the odds, nearly kept them up in the Championship (went down just one point behind Derby for safety), and nearly got them straight back up (losing the playoff final to Sunderland). And has a lot of contacts, which led to Wycombe always getting in some impressive loans.

If we want somebody with experience, contacts, who unites the team together, has a history of overachieving in L1 with a small club and can get them into the Championship, and has shown good loyalty, then he seems to fit the bill. Whether he can replicate that with us is the main question.