ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: SA Coach - Bury by SA AdministratorToday 17:10Today at 17:10:18view thread

Oldest article: Sarll by BaldockBoro13/6 16:53Wed Jun 13 16:53:25 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: A Morecambe fan's view by d3d420/8 22:30Mon Aug 20 22:30:20 2018view thread

Match Fred?

By Roland Rimbs (BD)18/8 16:01Sat Aug 18 16:01:56 2018

Views: 1590

Feel as if there should be one.

We're 1-0 up at half time. Dog sh*t 45 minutes but a lovely strike from Timlin bent into the top corner from outside the box.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Match Fred?

By Puds (Chuds)19/8 10:34Sun Aug 19 10:34:48 2018In response to Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 701

After three league matches:

- Two wins (our most, joint with 12/13).
- Seven points (our most, joint with 12/13).
- No defeats (our fourth time in nine FL seasons).
- Six goals scored (second-most, one behind 17/18).
- Three goals conceded (conceded fewer just twice in the FL).

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Copeysaurus18/8 21:16Sat Aug 18 21:16:02 2018In response to Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1003

We will win the league comfortably and absolutely nobody can stop us.

By billy no mates (Albert Tatlock)19/8 20:59Sun Aug 19 20:59:07 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 477

this would be fine except the odd team that might play old school wingers who could run with the ball and then pass it through our solid (read static) back four.

If Morecombe had not been abject shite then we might have come away with nil pwan. the simplest of sensible attacks from a clued up forward line will go through us like Homer writing the Iliad; en route to the Crispy Creme factory.

Not all bad news though as some look to be potentials for the Kent Walton school of wrestling.

I liked Timlin ; Guthrie, Sonupe, Byrom and Ball, when not emulating a bowling pin. Kennedy still takes on too many.

I think I saw Cuthbert jog a few times. Puds is , as ever, on the money here.
AT

By Pat (PatJ5)19/8 23:29Sun Aug 19 23:29:10 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 408

Morecambe weren't as bad as I'd expected. Lower mid table, but not abject bottom on that I'd have thought (provided at some point they can finish one of the chances they create).

By Puds (Chuds)19/8 23:34Sun Aug 19 23:34:54 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 419

They are going down without any doubt.

Poor starters, no depth at all, no budget, Bentley has run out of magic beans and they don't have their usual strong start or Coventry to match fix with this year so are going down as they should have last year.

Edited by Chuds at 23:36:04 on 19th August 2018

By AndyC21/8 08:52Tue Aug 21 08:52:55 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 207

Morecambe at 24 is as far as I've got with my League 2 pred competition so far. Need to start thinking about the other 23 places soon!

By Puds (Chuds)18/8 18:25Sat Aug 18 18:25:30 2018In response to Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1255

Our least convincing performance of the four matches thus far, but our first clean sheet and another win to equal our best ever start to a FL season.

With really nice fixtures up until December.

Edited by Chuds at 18:25:45 on 18th August 2018

By billy no mates (Albert Tatlock)19/8 21:04Sun Aug 19 21:04:01 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 430

btw is Farman unstable and has a speech impediment? He appeared to be shouting at imaginary petrol tankers with the drawback of being completely unintelligible. Still on balance, why would that matter?

By Owen18/8 20:27Sat Aug 18 20:27:55 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1059

It was fine. The game was a bit shit but we won. I hope Kennedy will start games, although I'm unsure where in the current starting system.

By Tucks20/8 07:29Mon Aug 20 07:29:19 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 385

Kennedy is no more than an impact sub for me. Wouldn’t have the same influence on the game if he started, not disciplined enough to press consistently, track his man or even stay in his position, especially when playing on the wing/right side of the forward three.

By Owen20/8 07:39Mon Aug 20 07:39:11 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 398

Possibly. Ironically the same seems to be true of Sanoupe - looked good when he came on against Tranmere, but ineffective starting against Morecambe.

By Tucks20/8 11:45Mon Aug 20 11:45:19 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 371

I think playing against Tranmere possibly suited Sonupe better than playing against Morecambe. Had he taken a leaf out of Ben’s book and stretched his legs a little while in possession he may have had more joy mind. One thing that Kennedy is very good at for me is simply getting into the box in possession where he can either try to get a ball across, shoot or draw a foul. Hopefully Sonupe will have that in his locker once he settles in.

By Norbert Colon (Geoff Wode)19/8 10:50Sun Aug 19 10:50:50 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 687

Exactly. It was fine. It wasn’t setting the world alight, but we mostly tried to play football and Kennedy for Sonupe was what was needed. I don’t get all this huffing and puffing and spitting of feathers from those that maybe took advantage of the £2 for a pint of piss promotion, saying that it was an appalling game of football. It wasn’t the prettiest but at the end of the day it’s League 2. I was happy that we tried to pass it and tried to keep going forward instead of camping on the edge of our box for the last half hour. Our defence looks shaky but Wildin and Hunt will improve and perhaps Wilko is needed to bolster the centre. It’s brilliant to see both full backs getting down the wings though. We haven’t seen that in years. I’m still not sure on the 4-3-3 but Byrom, Timlin, Ball and Ferry all have quality in the midfield, with the latter two showing quality beyond their experience. All in all, even though it wasn’t the greatest, I enjoyed it and there’s plenty to be positive about.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)19/8 11:16Sun Aug 19 11:16:05 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 674

The fact McKee can't so far get near the starting 11, when he was one of the better players last season, is strange. I guess he's not floating Dino's boat.

Wonder if he'll get a game if/when. Byrom orTimlin get a knock or a suspension.

I'd see him as a natural high energy replacement for any of the midfield as a sub,and I get the Ferry-love,but for me McKee is a better player.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 11:19:17 on 19th August 2018

By Puds (Chuds)19/8 13:06Sun Aug 19 13:06:48 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 618

Was good to see McKee return to the matchday squad yesterday, especially as Byrom and Timlin looked shattered on Tuesday (but were recovered and did well yesterday) and Ball's injury means he needs taking off early each match.

We have had a lot of matches recently so I wonder whether we will see a few more changes in the two matches this week.

It is almost making me want to attend our Checkatrade match in nine days to see some of our players get a run out, assuming Dino actually makes some changes for it. Dieng, Ronnie, Wilko, TVC, McKee, Ferry, Iontton, Georgiou, Makoma, Reid etc.

Edited by Chuds at 13:08:05 on 19th August 2018

2 people like this 2 people   

By Norbert Colon (Geoff Wode)19/8 12:21Sun Aug 19 12:21:16 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 630

I haven’t seen enough of Ferry to draw a comparison. I’d like to see McKee playing alongside Byrom and Timlin as I’m sure it would benefit him. Likewise, I’m sure Gorman would have improved playing alongside those two.

By Deano (deanos13)19/8 17:54Sun Aug 19 17:54:58 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 496

They will/would. If they want to....

By peanut19/8 12:12Sun Aug 19 12:12:40 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 591

Agreed - i imagine/hope we'll see Mckee in the next few games in place of one of the midfield three

Time to get carried away...

By tosspot18/8 21:07Sat Aug 18 21:07:42 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1015

It’s too easy . Even when we’re shit we’re winning. Champions by Easter and a HSC run is all I ask.

Re: Time to get carried away...

By Owen18/8 21:09Sat Aug 18 21:09:58 2018In response to Time to get carried away...Top of thread

Views: 990

Fair. If we also don't get to at least the FA Cup quarter finals that'll also be a failure.

2-0

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)18/8 18:20Sat Aug 18 18:20:31 2018In response to Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1294

Should gave been. That Barry Roche cock up definitely crossed the line.

Re: 2-0

By Roland Rimbs (BD)19/8 00:29Sun Aug 19 00:29:07 2018In response to 2-0Top of thread

Views: 818

It definitely didn't.

By Sonic7418/8 17:33Sat Aug 18 17:33:17 2018In response to Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1405

Absolutely shocking game of football - both teams were awful.

Saying that we could have come away 4-0 winners

Morecambe will go down playing like that every week

Was impressed with Guthrie - great close control and skill, Revell once again was excellent - the rest were just a bit meh

Going to get neck ache this season...

11 people dislike this 11 people

By Puds (Chuds)18/8 19:26Sat Aug 18 19:26:49 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1149

Could have won 4-0?

They created all the best chances! Ellison could have had a hattrick!

Edit: And Byrom, again, was quality.

Edited by Chuds at 19:27:28 on 18th August 2018

By SFCfox18/8 19:32Sat Aug 18 19:32:19 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1125

Byrom is always quality.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Puds (Chuds)18/8 19:38Sat Aug 18 19:38:38 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1104

Yep.

Will go under the radar most games but will probably be our most important/influential player this season.

By Cruffers18/8 19:49Sat Aug 18 19:49:21 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1085

I think he’s a different player from before. A higher quality and he seems more energetic than I remember.

By SFCfox19/8 11:40Sun Aug 19 11:40:33 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 630

His passing and dead ball was always on point. He was my POTS for our first season in League One and i was gutted when he left for PNE.

As always a few Borochat experts wrote him off from the start but they're the same experts that have doubted Ronnie Henry for the past 5 seasons.

By Pat (PatJ5)19/8 23:32Sun Aug 19 23:32:28 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 409

Guilty as charged.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)19/8 23:49Sun Aug 19 23:49:02 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 408

+1

By Jonnym819/8 08:48Sun Aug 19 08:48:13 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 720

Lighter = energetic

By peanut19/8 21:29Sun Aug 19 21:29:26 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 409

He definitely looks a lot leaner than he has done previously. Also seems a lot stronger in the tackle (oo-er) than I've seen. With him, Ball, Timlin, McKee and Ferry we've got very good options for centre mid

By Sev18/8 21:28Sat Aug 18 21:28:09 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 919

And great to have someone who can take set peices.

By Sonic7418/8 19:28Sat Aug 18 19:28:35 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1098

Guthrie missed 2 scoreable headers, keeper saved Cutherberts header brilliantly, Timlin scored one, and the possible own goal - as I said we could have won 4-0. but then we also made them look good...

By Sev18/8 21:29Sat Aug 18 21:29:30 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 917

Second half Guthrie also got space wide within the 18 yard box but fired wide. Should have at least tested the keeper there

By Sev18/8 17:37Sat Aug 18 17:37:59 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1336

I wouldn't say awful. I'd say not entertaining.

To me awful suggests they couldn't put a pass together or kept making mistakes etc. It was a very competent display. It just lacked in entertainment and style.

But we won. And winning is the aim.

Heard one guy on the phone saying it was absolutely diabolical. Think people go over the top. Was never going to be 7-5 today after Morecambes start and after 2 minutes I called a 0-0 based on the tempo and set up.

Thankfully a moment of the highest quality won it for us.

5 people like this 5 people   

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)18/8 18:10Sat Aug 18 18:10:27 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1256

Thought Kennedy changed the style of the game when he came on , we started passing it more and looked more threatening, without really threatening if that makes sense.

Timlin was full of energy as was Byrom, we have a solid midfield for the first time in a while.

Revell was just Revell. But he was so isolated for the most part, the idea of a 4-3-3 is for the two wide players to support the striker, Revell won shit-loads of flicks but no-one anticipated a single one of them.

Prefer Revell in a 442 but clearly Dino doesn't.

I'd like to see Guthrie closer to Revell.

Thought Sonupé was really ineffective, hardly ever ran at anyone. Both he and Wildin need to move before the pass, not wait till it's made and then chase it.

Nugent's heading was a bit off at times.

Winning ugly didn't do us any harm in the past. It's better than losing while trying to be Chesterlona.

Timlin my MOTM even without his goal.

Ref was a bit clueless.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Jonnym819/8 08:50Sun Aug 19 08:50:29 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 702

I’d say that is a pretty accurate description of events.
7 points from 9 and 3rd in the league is a great start.

By Sev18/8 21:23Sat Aug 18 21:23:51 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 928

Not at all what I was expecting from Sonupe. Perhaps it's a system and position he isn't used to. Seemed to just jog around and not get into the game much. Didn't offer much going forward or back.

In contrast, although I imagine not everyone's cup of tea, Guthrie was continuously involved in the game, despite being in perhaps an unfamiliar position.

By RockyBottom19/8 20:33Sun Aug 19 20:33:51 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 437

Guthrie is frustrating. Shows flashes of potential and then does something wasteful. Still I guess that's why he is at this level.

I agree with Sonupe, was expecting better from what I had heard. Looks like he could use an injection of confidence.

I was also really disappointed with Revell's passing yesterday. He works so bloody hard and badly needed better support but when he had the ball at his feet he hardly ever found a Boro shirt.

Ball and Wildin excite me a lot.

Wildin's positioning needs work sometimes but he often has the pace at this level to get himself out of trouble. Going forward I doubt there are many better fullbacks in this league. His passing/ crossing is outstanding for League Two.

Edited by RockyBottom at 20:37:13 on 19th August 2018
Edited by RockyBottom at 20:39:14 on 19th August 2018

By Tucks20/8 07:37Mon Aug 20 07:37:30 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 388

I think the game passed Sonupe by. Not a criticism of him as such, he just didn’t seem to be in it at all in terms of the style of game not suiting him. Wildin offered our attacking threat on the right and it almost rendered Sonupe redundant as the pacy attacker on that side. I said about 1/2 hour in that it might have been worth swapping Sonupe and Guthrie to see if Sonupe had more joy on the left flank, in front of Hunt who isn’t quite as attacking minded as Wildin and seemed to be playing the ball to Guthrie’s feet more than was happening on the other wing for us.

On the few occasions he was in possession however, I was surprised he didn’t take the opportunity to have a run at the defence, he always seemed to move the ball on relatively quickly. I was expecting him to be a full back terroriser and Morecambe’s defence was there to be terrorised.

By jayess20/8 12:29Mon Aug 20 12:29:25 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 410

There was been a surprising amount of criticism of Sonupe on here. I though he and Wildin (and Timlin to some extent) dovetailed well together in the first half and provided most of our threat. Second half they switched Ellison across and put more resources into defending their left flank.

By Deano (deanos13)20/8 13:08Mon Aug 20 13:08:23 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 423

I'm not surprised. I called the substitution early in the 2nd half. He didn't do it for me.

I'd imagine the switch was purely for Luther.

By Sev20/8 20:00Mon Aug 20 20:00:47 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 294

Yep. Us too.

By Pat (PatJ5)18/8 22:41Sat Aug 18 22:41:39 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 843

Feels to me like a winger who's not quite sure what he's doing in a front three (yet). I'd start Reid ahead of him (and Newton when fit).

By Puds (Chuds)18/8 19:36Sat Aug 18 19:36:40 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1073

Byrom was MOTM.

Our midfield didn't control the game at all.

Sonupe was sadly disappointing. Revell not as good as usual, but ran his nuts off as always.

I do not rate Nugent or Hunt but cannot complain after a clean sheet.

I really like Wildin, Joel, Ball and Revs.

Guthrie so much better and more dangerous today now he is getting sharper and more match fit. I asked Dino afterwards why Guthrie plays wide left, he said he wants to play there.

Great strike from Timlin.

Kennedy did well after coming on but must be more consistent.

In previous seasons we would have drawn that, and drawn at Crawley, and lost against Tranmere. This squad should be top seven come the end.

By RockyBottom19/8 20:36Sun Aug 19 20:36:19 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 443

Once again I agree with a lot of that. I thought we were set up a little negative for a home game.

Kennedy is always better off the bench.

That second half was the best 45 mins I have seen from Hunt.

Cuthbert would look better next to TVC IMO. They would compliment each other better.

By Deano (deanos13)19/8 21:29Sun Aug 19 21:29:43 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 425

That won't happen.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)18/8 20:18Sat Aug 18 20:18:49 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 994

I didn't say we controlled the midfield, I was commenting in more general terms.

Revell didn't do anything different, he was as good as usual, he was just isolated for much of the game.

By Puds (Chuds)18/8 20:27Sat Aug 18 20:27:40 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 972

Wasn't anywhere near as effective today.

But I am fine with that, he is brilliant.

By Cruffers18/8 19:51Sat Aug 18 19:51:57 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1029

I agree with all of that apart from Kennedy. I thought he was a bit lazy when he came on and didn’t offer enough. For me, his work rate needs to greatly improve to work in this team. Revell was frustrated with him for not closing down.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Sev18/8 21:26Sat Aug 18 21:26:22 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 906

I thought Kennedy made a difference to the entertainment level of the game. Got more interesting and exciting when he came on.

By Pat (PatJ5)18/8 22:42Sat Aug 18 22:42:43 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 835

Clearly Timlin made the difference today ;-p

By RockyBottom18/8 19:07Sat Aug 18 19:07:20 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1108

I thought Kennedy livened up the game a bit when he came on. A lot of very average performances today.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Richie Rich C18/8 18:53Sat Aug 18 18:53:28 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1125

Agree with all of that

By Sonic7418/8 17:39Sat Aug 18 17:39:50 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1302

There was definite periods where we or they couldn't string more than 2 passes together - both teams reverted to hoofball...

Kennedy falling over the ball and corner flag and the keeper almost letting in an own goal under no pressure just capped off how bad it was for me

Edited by Sonic74 at 17:40:48 on 18th August 2018

By Cruffers18/8 18:02Sat Aug 18 18:02:10 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1219

Kennedy annoyed me today. Revell was doing all his closing down and pressing for him.

By tosspot18/8 16:50Sat Aug 18 16:50:39 2018In response to Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1389

We’d rather discuss other teams these days...

By RockyBottom18/8 17:05Sat Aug 18 17:05:42 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1396

Awful game with Wildin the only bright spark. Still, the type off game we normally mess up so pleased with the 3 points. Hoping for 3 points out of the next 2 games.

Edited by RockyBottom at 17:06:11 on 18th August 2018

By Roland Rimbs (BD)19/8 09:44Sun Aug 19 09:44:59 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 673

Wildin the only bright spark?

Joel Byrom fully won back my heart and removed any doubts I might've had over him yesterday.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Norbert Colon (Geoff Wode)19/8 11:10Sun Aug 19 11:10:49 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 647

I suspect Rocky Bottom would find something to moan about if we beat Man City 4-0.

5 people like this 5 people   

By Deano (deanos13)19/8 17:56Sun Aug 19 17:56:49 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 505

He was close to us yesterday and I had half an eye on him yesterday, just to make sure he was watching the same game as me this week.....! :-)

By SFCfox18/8 17:08Sat Aug 18 17:08:28 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1417

Agreed. I couldn't make it but i was waiting to see a dreaded 90th minute Morecambe equaliser.

Three points is three points, happy days!

By Deltic 2118/8 21:31Sat Aug 18 21:31:29 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 903

Ha! Yeah, was obsessively watching the LiveScore app on a beach in Bordeaux, convinced that by the 92nd minute it’d say 1-1. Bit disappointed we didn’t wipe the floor with them tbh, but you can’t have everything.

Edited by Deltic 21 at 21:32:02 on 18th August 2018

By East Coast Boro18/8 23:04Sat Aug 18 23:04:49 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 821

Hope you were filling in your L2 prediction entry to give to Merv on your return from lazing on the beach.

By Deltic 2118/8 23:33Sat Aug 18 23:33:16 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 791

No, I’m hopeless at predictions. Although I don’t think we’ll be relegated.

(Famous last words...)

By Northstandbloke18/8 18:30Sat Aug 18 18:30:10 2018In response to Re: Match Fred?Top of thread

Views: 1165

Been away from the Lamex for most of last year, saw only the first few games under the manager then, wasn't impressed at all. so much so that I drifted away...

Heard that Dino had been appointed so saw little reason to return to the fold. But always a supporter so bit the old lip and went along to see what's what. First, I owe the Gaffer an apology. He's spent well, there are lads there with real talent and an apatite to challenge. There's real speed on the wings and yes lads who can score goals. Ok, so it wasn't always pretty under Wesley and we rode our luck but those of us will remember our promotional ride all those seasons ago will tell you that it wasn't always pretty under Wesley and yes we were lucky too. We shall I think improve.

I will go back to the Lamex despite the knowledge that the standard of refereeing hasn't improved. I'm removed from my old position in the North Stand and so will winter as a concession in the East stand. My hand is steady but come end of September I might just be minded to hand over a dog eared note to Mr Jennings. More about that later.

Ciao

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: Change of club shop opening hours by WASP19/8 20:30Sun Aug 19 20:30:17 2018view thread