ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: 0-1 Crewe by SevToday 19:25Today at 19:25:18view thread

Oldest article: Ben Wilmot - latest news on the deal of the centur… by The Daily Stevenage24/5 19:10Thu May 24 19:10:15 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Checkatrade Trophy by Puds18/9 22:25Tue Sep 18 22:25:05 2018view thread

The team and upcoming games

By Boromatt19/9 10:58Wed Sep 19 10:58:39 2018

Views: 382

Just a quick few lines on what I believed to be a very good point last Saturday. Probably one of the best performances of the season, plenty of chances, 3 goals scored and some good football being played when going forward. I thought the ref stitched us big time, I can't really comment about the penalty as I didn't really see it, but the second one was a joke. A clear foul on Kenner's waved away only for the ref to award them a soft free kick, to which they scored from after. Credit to the boys for coming back on 3 occasions, showed real heart at times and dug deep to get a well earned point.

What are people's thoughts on the team at the minute? Upcoming games?

Thoughts on the team?
I've been very impressed with the team over the 8 games played. A very good start to the league, a little blip for 3 games and then a turn in form with that important win against Macclesfield and point away at Notts County last Saturday. Good performances are key for a brand new side, something which I have been impressed about with this new team for at least 4-5 of the games so far. I think this team has the potential to possibly be a Play Off contending side, but it will take time. One thing that has really impressed me about the team is the amount of goals we're scoring. Yes we had a little dry patch for 3 games, but 10 goals from 8 is pretty good and if you want to count the Checkatrade and League Cup that's 6 more goals. There are still improvements to be made, but overall I would've taken 12 points from 24 before the season started.

Upcoming Games?
Getting as many points as possible at the start of the campaign is so important, as we've seen in prior starts to a season, those early points can really save a teams season (as it did last season). To already have 12 on the board from 8 games played is promising, as for the upcoming games there are some tough ones, especially in October.

Grimsby (H): Win
Realistically I'd like to think the boys can continue this momentum now, another good performance Saturday followed with a very important 3 points putting us on a comfortable 15 points from 9 games. Home form is key, especially with the football club doing more to promote our home games to local residents of the town, the team have to produce winning football at home this season for an increase in attendances. I think Dino should play the same team as Saturday, keeping Ben at the back with Scott and keeping Newton up top with Revell and Kenner's. A win however means 10 points from 12, a good stat.

Carlisle (A): Win
A tricky game, however if the boys can produce a good performance at home to Grimsby along with a win, I think we'll win at Carlisle. Dino has to get the tactics right and not leave us too open in the middle which has happened in a few games this season, but with football we produced at Notts, any glimmer of that performance again and I'll think we'll be bringing back the points from Cumbria.

Exeter (A): Draw
Probably our most difficult fixture of the season so far, I do fancy to bring back a point though. Some might think it could be a defeat down at Exeter, but with the quality and expectancy to do well in our side, I think we can pick up points against anyone in the league.

Looking forward to the upcoming games, hopefully the team can kick on through the autumn period adding to our already comfortable tally of points.

Thoughts?

Edited by Boromatt at 10:59:02 on 19th September 2018
Edited by Boromatt at 10:59:43 on 19th September 2018

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   

Re: The team and upcoming games

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)19/9 23:15Wed Sep 19 23:15:04 2018In response to The team and upcoming gamesTop of thread

Views: 370

If we beat Grimsby I can see us getting something at Carlisle as you suggest.

But on the basis we don't have any radical options across the back 4, we do need a radical overhaul of our defensive coaching, so that our back 4 work as a unit and aren't exposed down the right back channel.

Seddon is good defensively. And ok going forward.

Wildin is poor defensively but good going forward. All of our CB options are big units with no pace. (other than TVC who isn't currently an option).

Maybe Timlin in the Charlie Lee CDM role in a 4-1-3-2 would give the CBs some protection / support? Mobile enough to shuffle wide too, as long as we don't expect him to get forward.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 23:15:16 on 19th September 2018

By Boromatt19/9 23:22Wed Sep 19 23:22:54 2018In response to Re: The team and upcoming gamesTop of thread

Views: 374

I agree about the formation. I think it's important to keep a tight midfield and to not be too open, there's been a few games where we've been overun in the middle.

By Pat (PatJ5)20/9 13:01Thu Sep 20 13:01:48 2018In response to Re: The team and upcoming gamesTop of thread

Views: 211

3 points from the next 3 games would be decent. Anything else would be a bonus. That's two horrible away trips, particularly when you consider they are back to back.

Previous thread: Junior Loyal Supporter Scheme by SA Administrator20/9 09:07Thu Sep 20 09:07:53 2018view thread