ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Nick Fifa 19 by SevToday 20:44Today at 20:44:14view thread

Oldest article: BROKEN PROMISES by Junction 723/5 18:39Wed May 23 18:39:20 20181 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Latest L2 Prediction Comp Table by SA Administrator29/9 17:48Sat Sep 29 17:48:40 2018view thread

Thoughts on a big 3 points

By Boromatt23/9 09:56Sun Sep 23 09:56:58 2018

Views: 989

Cracking win yesterday, a big 3 points, 15 points on the board, with a big gap between ourselves and the bottom half of the table. It's great to see a Stevenage side up the top competing with all the top teams for a change.

Team selection?
I thought Dino picked a good side, I liked the way that he gave Sonupe a chance as I thought Sonupe had looked quite lively recently, stuck with Newts and Revell up top and really happy that he kept with the backline. It was nice to have a lot of pace going forward, pace kills in this division, it makes such a difference having a lot of pace in the top half of the pitch and it showed.

Thoughts on the performance?
It was a tough one yesterday, I thought we created some really good chances, played some good stuff at times, there were a few occasions where we did give the ball away and knock it forward rather than play through Byrom and Timlin, but on the whole I thought we played well. I thought the backline was superb again, only one shot conceded on our goal, the last 3 wins at home we've kept a clean sheet which is a really good stat for the boys at the back. Seddon was really good, what I love about our two full backs is they get forward and support the forward players all the time. Both Luther and Seddon always look to drive forward and create a bit of space on either side of the pitch, I think we've missed that from full backs at the club for many years now. A sign of a really good side is one that doesn't necessarily play really well and still finds a way to win and we did that, so big respect to the players for picking up a big win.

Moving forward?
Well 15 points from 27 is really good and a total I would've taken before the start of the season, if we carried on with the same amount of points every 9 games from now, the club would be sitting on 75 points, which IMO is worthy of a top 5 place in the league. So to think with a brand new team to already 15 points from 9 games is a big positive. An exciting 4 games coming up where we played teams that are 5th, 2nd, 4th and 3rd. I'm looking forward to seeing how we play against some of the top teams, it'll be a good test to see where we are with our new team and if we belong up there. Very much looking forward to it.

Great support as always yesterday fellas!

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   

Re: Thoughts on a big 3 points

By Tucks23/9 16:19Sun Sep 23 16:19:10 2018In response to Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 702

Three points is three points. It’s always three points, the size stays the same. There’s not been enough football played to say that we are competing with the top teams.

I wouldn’t class 15 points from a possible 27 as really good. It’s adequate. PW has spoken about an average of two points per game and aiming for promotion. With that in mind we’re two points shy of what we’re aiming for and we have a run of potentially tricky games to come.

Come the end of that run we’ll know how we stack up against some tough opposition and the table will give a more accurate reflection of just who is and isn’t good this season as more games will have been played.

A clean sheet is pleasing, as is getting the win however. More of the same would be very welcome in that respect.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Puds (Chuds)24/9 11:15Mon Sep 24 11:15:35 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 502

We have only had one better start to a season in the FL (under Gary Smith).

Our record is identical to this stage under Sarll last season, but we have scored four goals fewer (conceded three fewer), although have arguably had a far easier start.

It is a very decent start, but from the two other occasions we started like this it can easily go downhill. The next four games, against four sides right up the top, will show us a lot more about how ready we are.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Boromatt24/9 14:27Mon Sep 24 14:27:30 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 430

Agreed Puds. However, I think this team is very different to the one last season, there’s a lot of players in the side that expect to be up the top rather than the bottom half. An example of this is a lot of the teams that the players have played for prior to ourselves. The next 4 games will be interesting, to see how the players play against 4 sides which have had good starts.

By Puds (Chuds)24/9 15:05Mon Sep 24 15:05:57 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 423

Aye.

Also I have a lot more belief that this side has the resolve to scrape out results, be it nicking a victory when playing poorly or avoiding defeat, which will give us more/longer unbeaten runs and win us more points over the season.

6 people like this 6 people   

By jayess24/9 20:56Mon Sep 24 20:56:36 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 324

Like the point we won at FGR, which at the end of the season might look like a good result.
FGR could be your Accrington, Chuds. I reckon they will finish in the top seven.

By Deano (deanos13)24/9 10:27Mon Sep 24 10:27:16 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 496

Only Accrington got 2 points per game last season.

This 4 wins, 3 draws, and 2 defeats should it continue, we would end up with a similar record to Lincoln last season. I'm sure we will be happy with that.

I talked to Dino about this situation and took him to task on the fast flowing football that was talked about in pre-season.

Its exclusive and you can hear it on SG1 Radio Wednesday at 9pm...........

2 people like this 2 people   

By Owen23/9 10:47Sun Sep 23 10:47:42 2018In response to Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 812

if we carried on with the same amount of points every 9 games from now, the club would be sitting on 75 points, which IMO is worthy of a top 5 place in the league.

Sorry to break it to you, but I don't think the league table works on opinion, it's more an objective mathematical thing.

By Boromatt23/9 11:59Sun Sep 23 11:59:34 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 747

Very true. It was more of an evaluation on if we continue as we’re going.

By Puds (Chuds)23/9 10:38Sun Sep 23 10:38:34 2018In response to Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 788

A big gap between us and the bottom half? Two points?

The next four games will go a good way to showing how serious we are. Playing the sides in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, with three of them away. Tough.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)23/9 10:04Sun Sep 23 10:04:35 2018In response to Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 804

Although we could get 75 points based on maths and all that, it’s far more important to point out that we’ve hit 30% of our ultimate objective of getting to 50 points.

By Boromatt23/9 10:05Sun Sep 23 10:05:40 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 811

Haha I like your mathematic input. Honestly though it is quite nice to be looking up the table rather than down for a change.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)23/9 10:16Sun Sep 23 10:16:49 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 792

Down rather than up?

By Telboy23/9 16:43Sun Sep 23 16:43:26 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 654

Looking up.... as Matt is Mr Positive.

To be honest whenever Boro is in this league position I also tend to look up. When we are at basement level I look down.... to see who is likely to put us deeper in the proverbial!

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)25/9 14:57Tue Sep 25 14:57:10 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 306

Ah, yes, I was confused.

By Deltic 2129/9 10:31Sat Sep 29 10:31:54 2018In response to Re: Thoughts on a big 3 pointsTop of thread

Views: 314

We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars.

- Oscar Wilde.

Previous thread: BoroGuide: Carlisle See You When You Get There... by Pete28/9 15:01Fri Sep 28 15:01:42 2018view thread