ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Northampton prediction by PudsToday 13:32Today at 13:32:04view thread

Oldest article: Leadership by Sev3/9/2018 13:24Mon Sep 3 13:24:12 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Northampton Manager departs by East Coast Boro30/9/2018 21:30Sun Sep 30 21:30:13 2018view thread

Belated match thread

By tosspot29/9/2018 16:44Sat Sep 29 16:44:28 2018

Views: 1697

We’re winning 1-0 thanks to Bennedy.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Belated match thread

By Goolies29/9/2018 20:48Sat Sep 29 20:48:09 2018In response to Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1118

Haven't posted on here in a while, because I've been spending my weekends at Scottish football games instead. But this was my first game since Morecambe (H) (first away since Norwich), and I have to say that was marvelous.

Spoke to Joel Byrom's nan and Scott Cutherbert's mum before the game for a start. Smallest away crowd I've ever been a part of. Was kind of eerie, and probably mostly player families.

Dieng is something else. Needs to be our number one for this season. Calm, composed, vocal, everything you could want in a GK.

Back four were immense, Cuthbert in particular. Wildin looked excellent defensively and offensively, as did Seddon. Another game without defeat for Nugent too, so he must be doing something right.

Byrom took a while to grow into things, but eventually ran the show along with Timlin. Thought Sonupe did well, so was surprised to see him subbed at HT. Turned out to be the right decision given how much Ferry changed the game. Kennedy didn't do a lot, but as usual, he pops up with a screamer. Revell and Newts worked their nuts off as per (as did Guthrie when he came on).

Basically, the best away performance I've seen from us in sometime. We're onto something good with this lot.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)29/9/2018 20:55Sat Sep 29 20:55:32 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1091

Hardly heard Ferry's name on the wireless.

I'm still not convinced he's got the composure or physicality for L2 football, always seems a bit headless chicken for me.

Dino likes to bring him on at HT or quite early, so clearly sees something I haven't.

Pleased he did well. hope he continues to develop and shuts me up.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

Thoughts

By Steeevenage1729/9/2018 17:42Sat Sep 29 17:42:28 2018In response to Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1413

First game I’ve been to since Macclesfield at home. That was a shite win. Today was a win where I come away really pleased with our performance and looking forward to the next

Cuthbert won everything in the air today, probably my MOTM. Nugent doesn’t fill me with confidence but is good enough for L2
Timlin and Byron did their jobs well, and we were perhaps unfortunate not to score more

4th is a great position to be in (judge the table after 10 games and all that?). Tuesday is an equally tough test but if we put in a similar performance we will come back with at least a point.

4 people like this 4 people   

Re: Thoughts

By Goolies29/9/2018 20:38Sat Sep 29 20:38:32 2018In response to ThoughtsTop of thread

Views: 1082

Haven't lost a game with Nugent yet. Can't be a coincidence.

2 people like this 2 people   

Re: Thoughts

By Steeevenage1729/9/2018 21:38Sat Sep 29 21:38:33 2018In response to Re: ThoughtsTop of thread

Views: 1018

I’m not knocking him at all, he has a good presence and works well with Cuthbert but I find myself extremely uneasy whenever he has to do anything with his feet...

Goalie and loan LB sub-thread

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)29/9/2018 20:50Sat Sep 29 20:50:13 2018In response to Re: ThoughtsTop of thread

Views: 1207

In principle I think we should always try and play our own players over loanees but I can't see how Dino can possibly justify giving Farman his starting place back at the moment.

I quite like Farman, I know a fair few aren't sure, but even I think (if he's fit on Tuesday) he shouldn't take Dieng's place.

Same with Seddon/Hunt. Albeit it's probably even more of a no-brainer.

Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-thread

By RockyBottom1/10/2018 07:35Mon Oct 1 07:35:30 2018In response to Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 582

I just remember Dino's comments on loans in preseason.

Funny that now, loan signings have been arguably two of our best players in recent weeks.

By Tucks1/10/2018 08:33Mon Oct 1 08:33:22 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 579

Sometimes people make a judgement which is wrong, despite the best intentions. Dino’s a big enough man to hold his hands up in such instances I’m sure.

By Deano (deanos13)1/10/2018 15:57Mon Oct 1 15:57:05 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 471

I think its quite clear I dislike loans immensely. However they do have a part to play.

You have to have back-up. I always remember GW saying he had Rudd at PNE but he was on a 24 hour recall. I couldn't live like that! If Seddon goes then we have Hunt. If Seny goes then we have Farman. So it doesnt bother me too much.

When you rely on 3-4 in your starting 11 then thats when it worries me.

By Tucks1/10/2018 18:04Mon Oct 1 18:04:19 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 459

I could be wrong but now the loan windows have changed I don’t think there’s any danger of a 24 hour recall outside of January (when both our loan players are due back anyway).

So far, both seem to have shown enough to suggest that we should be looking to get their loans extended until the end of the season. If their parent clubs have other ideas of course then knowing sooner rather than later would be beneficial so we can line up replacements for them in the squad at the very least.

By Deano (deanos13)1/10/2018 21:10Mon Oct 1 21:10:14 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 391

I'm not sure either but I seem to remember that Forest might have called young Walker back sharpish, that may have been injury but my memory is selective.

If QPR go two goalies down Tuesday and Saturday they won't be delving into the loan market, Tucks. They'll be onto Bob Makin suggesting he calls an Uber sharpish. This is all my opinion and may of course be bull shine. But I doubt QPR will take a Chelsea 5th choice when their own 4th choice would do......

Like us with Chesterfield should we lose Jozza and Tims..........

By Tucks1/10/2018 22:58Mon Oct 1 22:58:35 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 386

Pretty sure Walker was recalled early, but from a season long loan during the January window, then farmed straight back out to Port Vale.

Also pretty sure QPR would have to go down the route of an emergency loan or free agent should their keepers drop like flies. Dieng is ours until January, regardless of what happens at QPR. I believe the same to be the case with Smith, players can go out on loan to non-league clubs at pretty much any time but can only be recalled during a transfer window.

Not saying I disagree with you by any means, but thems the rules (at least I think they are).

By Puds (Chuds)2/10/2018 00:02Tue Oct 2 00:02:37 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 377

Yep, wasn't Walker mysteriously 'injured' for a few weeks amid rumours he had fallen out with our management before being recalled and instantly loaned out to Port Vale who were in L1 at the time?

By Tucks2/10/2018 07:26Tue Oct 2 07:26:52 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 338

He’d impressed too. Had it not been for the mysterious disappearance and subsequent recall by Forest then we may not have seen the emergence of Matt Godden. Seem to recall he’d been coming off the bench or playing out wide while Walker was in the team.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)2/10/2018 09:59Tue Oct 2 09:59:27 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 361

Yes, that’s how I remember it.

By Puds (Chuds)1/10/2018 16:22Mon Oct 1 16:22:03 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 463

Alternatively you could have a squad that will finish 5th-10th, and with three good loan signings become a squad who will finish 1st-6th. If they leave after their loan then so be it, you replace them with another player, same as if one of your own leaves. Many of our players only hang around a year anyway so it may as well be a year loan.

If you can improve your squad/team, you are dumb not to do so, regardless of how long they are around. And I do not believe for a minute (provided you loan wisely) that they are any less interested in doing well than your own players. Footballers want to win, footballers want to perform well to progress themselves, footballers have no loyalty to any club. This is true whether we have signed them or loaned them.

We would have had nothing exciting or enjoyable to watch without Amos last season. I do not care that he is now gone, he made us a better side and made us far more enjoyable to watch. And he cared. Same for Dieng and Seddon. Both far better options than Farman and Hunt and will win us more points, benefit the club and make the fans happier. Therefore they should play. It is a results business, pick any player who will get better results.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Deano (deanos13)1/10/2018 21:12Mon Oct 1 21:12:20 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 370

I agree to a degree. And as football has become more transient and players have come and gone then yes. You change your squad to the league your in.

By Puds (Chuds)2/10/2018 00:22Tue Oct 2 00:22:07 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 369

I reckon the problem we have had, and why many of our fans are so against loans, is that in the past the majority of ours have been awful and so have either only played a handful of games (or none at all on plenty of occasions!) or have inextricably been selected ahead of better options (Ryan Loft for instance).

I fully agree there are major issues in the loan system, particularly at the top end where teams such as Chelsea and City stockpile players and just loan them out constantly, but as others have rightly said, it is a big part of the game now, especially at our level, and just one or two loanees can truly be the difference between relegation and survival, or just missing out and promotion. I like our core, I think it is a playoff chasing squad, and I think two or three good loanees can potentially make us an automatic promotion chasing squad.

On a slightly different but similar note. Almost every loan out we have ever done has been an utter waste of time. Why do we always loan players out so many levels below ours so that it is a completely different game and no real conclusions or comparisons can be reached?Ryan Johnson for instance, clearly rated at the club but always loaned out 2-3 levels below ours. Dipo, I rated and wanted to see more of, gets loaned out to Dulwich who were three tiers below us. He did well but it is so far away from our level you just cannot compare. The closest we ever do is loan to Conf South (or last year to Nuneaton in Conf North). Never to the Conference. It is as if we do not believe in anybody we loan out and send them to a level/club we think may take them off us, never to progress their development for our benefit. How many players have we ever loaned out who have gone on to do well back with us?

3 people like this 3 people   

By Pete (PeteH)2/10/2018 07:09Tue Oct 2 07:09:49 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 344

Two words, one nightmare: Deimantas Petravičius

By Tucks29/9/2018 22:49Sat Sep 29 22:49:29 2018In response to Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 1033

Loanees are part and parcel of this level of the game. When you look at the turnover of contracted playing staff at the club over recent years then a season long loan isn’t really much different to having a contracted player who only sticks around for one season.

The best player has to play for me.

8 people like this 8 people   

By Copeysaurus30/9/2018 15:22Sun Sep 30 15:22:24 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 694

Agreed

By tosspot30/9/2018 00:49Sun Sep 30 00:49:04 2018In response to Re: Goalie and loan LB sub-threadTop of thread

Views: 948

We should be playing our strongest X11 as long as we have something to play for. Right now that includes loanees.

Once we’re Champions and don’t need to worry about results, we can start playing our permanent signings.

By Cruffers29/9/2018 17:16Sat Sep 29 17:16:32 2018In response to Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1497

Tough day for fans on the supporters coach who didn’t get to the game due to bad traffic problems (and of course anyone in cars that also didn’t get there). Fair play to their commitment as most of them will probably also be travelling down to Exeter on Tuesday as well.

I’m sure and hope that the club will look after them.

7 people like this 7 people   

By WGC2929/9/2018 19:53Sat Sep 29 19:53:07 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1146

I was one travelling on the coach with my dad and was really looking forward to our first ever visit to Carlisle. Traffic was really good up until we hit the A66 when we were only 12 miles from the M6. The coach driver did take a detour but unfortunately after 10 minutes we hit a traffic jam where a motorcyclist told the coach driver there had been an accident and the Police had blocked the road off then the coach driver tried another route but couldn't get the coach across a very narrow bridge. The coach driver then took the route to Newcastle but and cut across but when we got into West Auckland the coach driver announced that we wouldn't get to the game for at least half 4 as we were still 80 miles away.

Ok on the bright side at least I got to see the Lake District in the distance for the first time which is very beautiful scenery.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))29/9/2018 20:31Sat Sep 29 20:31:12 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1078

Ouch. It’s about 25 years since I took the SA coach, but was a regular then. What a sickener. Didn’t the coach hit traffic on the way to the north west when we beat Runcorn 8-0? What was the score when it arrived.. 5 or something?

By SA Administrator29/9/2018 17:55Sat Sep 29 17:55:02 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1333

Yes real travel problems today. SA can't refund coach passengers, as we will be charged by Coach Operator. However, John Carroll is proposing a reduced cost to Newport, for those that were on today's coach.

By SFCfox29/9/2018 18:02Sat Sep 29 18:02:58 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1314

Inform SkyBet about the issue. I've seen a few times they've paid for a coach journey for football fans because of snow, waterlogged pitches etc..

By Owen29/9/2018 16:57Sat Sep 29 16:57:09 2018In response to Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1492

Great result. We're digging in and picking up the wins at the moment.

By SFCfox29/9/2018 17:00Sat Sep 29 17:00:53 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1485

What a win. Stacking up the 1-0 victories.

By Ratman4629/9/2018 17:11Sat Sep 29 17:11:47 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1433

Defences win leagues, get in. 1-0 every week will do me 😎

By RockyBottom29/9/2018 16:55Sat Sep 29 16:55:58 2018In response to Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1572

Big 3 points if it stays like this and somehow we would be up to 4th!

4 people dislike this 4 people

By Copeysaurus29/9/2018 21:57Sat Sep 29 21:57:14 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 970

Unnecessary hate for this comment.

Anyone else expect us to be 4th after 10?

Especially having only scored 12 goals in 10 games.

By tosspot29/9/2018 23:16Sat Sep 29 23:16:15 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 900

Unfortunately reputational . Agreed the dislike aren’t warranted but they are self inflicted.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By WGC2929/9/2018 20:24Sat Sep 29 20:24:57 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1072

Imagine if you had been on the coach today when the coach driver announced he wouldn't get to Carlisle for half 4 you would of jumped up and down from end of the coach to the other in excitmenet because you would of only seen about 20 minutes of the game.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Dave (daveadkins)29/9/2018 18:55Sat Sep 29 18:55:48 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1223

You just couldn't help yourself could you. Always got to have a snide dig.

By RockyBottom29/9/2018 18:59Sat Sep 29 18:59:24 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1199

Just surprised we are 4th in the table!

3 people dislike this 3 people

By Ratman4629/9/2018 19:17Sat Sep 29 19:17:53 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1164

You should join Twitter, you'd fit in really well there with your positive outlook on life 😎

By Jonnym829/9/2018 19:57Sat Sep 29 19:57:34 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1104

😀😀

By Dave (daveadkins)29/9/2018 19:05Sat Sep 29 19:05:46 2018In response to Re: Belated match threadTop of thread

Views: 1218

Well don't be. Just embrace it. It may continue it may not.

Edited by daveadkins at 19:20:36 on 29th September 2018

Previous thread: In 6 Weeks by SA Administrator2/10/2018 09:24Tue Oct 2 09:24:36 2018view thread