ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat
Ronnie Henry Testimonial - 6th May

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Boro Fives Table by SevToday 18:47Today at 18:47:06view thread

Oldest article: For the FAO of WASP by Roland Rimbs6/11/2018 15:17Tue Nov 6 15:17:05 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: BoroGuide: A 'Bridge (Not) Too Far by Pete4/1 13:23Fri Jan 4 13:23:55 2019view thread

Just seen the highlights

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)1/1 18:54Tue Jan 1 18:54:13 2019

Views: 1600

Never should have been a red. Not even a free kick.
Both went in, Guthrie had foot on ball, and knees collided as they came together.

If we don't win an appeal on that then football is corrupt.

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   

Re: Just seen the highlights

By Danny-da-Bass1/1 19:20Tue Jan 1 19:20:54 2019In response to Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1408

Pretty much as I saw it at the time 50/50 knee clash. Drop ball to allow Frazer treatment at the most.

Pretty poor treatment to Frazer as well. Not as if it was his fault.

By The Hedgehog1/1 20:48Tue Jan 1 20:48:02 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1262

OK. From where we were in the west, it didn’t look good at all and came as no surprise to see the red.

That said, the referee said it was for a stamp on the thigh. Fraser told Deano there was no stamp and it was knee on knee.

To me, that is enough to overturn the decision. We know that won’t happen though.

And I still maintain it was of a red than Reid’s on Saturday! Make what you will out of that.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)1/1 20:24Tue Jan 1 20:24:30 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1290

I was embarrassed so many Boro fans boo'd him, it was a strong 50/50, sometimes they hurt. he wasn't rolling around feigning injury, the ref didn't wait to be surrounded, he made his mind up in a split second.

Fraser shrugged when he came over to the touch line as if to say 'don't ask me'

4 match ban, 5 if we appeal, lose and its deemed frivolous. I think it's worth a go, although we probably won't win it, it shouldn't be judged frivolous.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By the boy jones1/1 21:38Tue Jan 1 21:38:09 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1185

Can't agree. He definitely was rolling around feigning injury, I was bang in line with him on the ET and he even done a little scream for additional drama. Got involved with the Timlin booking too didn't he? All teams have players that do it, just adds to the disappointment that it was a well liked ex-player.

Anyway, I actually think the sending off done us a favour. We were all over the place up until then, but once we were down to 10 we had to be much more organised, play on the counter or for set plays, time wasting and looking to nick that one goal. Tactically we were bang on after the red.

4 people like this 4 people   

By The Hedgehog2/1 16:58Wed Jan 2 16:58:24 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 802

I will happily retract my original opinion having seen it again now.

Never a red card.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Deano (deanos13)2/1 17:35Wed Jan 2 17:35:23 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 756

I've also seen some pics from the opposite side of the ground. And I agree with Hedgie.

We said it was 50-50 and he was a bit heavy. Ref is looking through 4 players plus Kurtis.

I hope those pics win any appeal.

By Sev1/1 19:06Tue Jan 1 19:06:19 2019In response to Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1411

I can only assume the ref saw it as dangerous. Because Guthrie went in from the top (studs down to ground) and Franks went in from the side (leg under Guthrie's foot).

Both equally dangerous just do happened in this case once the ball had pinged Franks was the one who got hurt.

It won't be rescinded. But call it for what it was, a 50/50 one footed challenge.

Think Guthrie better give up trying to tackle. He can't win.

Edit: I haven't seen any highlights of it. This was just my first take on it.

Edited by Sev at 19:08:05 on 1st January 2019

By Jonnym81/1 19:11Tue Jan 1 19:11:14 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1393

From the West I can see why it was given. In a split second it looked excessive. The scream from Fraser (for whom I Donte think there is any blame) definitely plays a part in making up the refs mind about the severity of the challenge.

By WGC291/1 20:12Tue Jan 1 20:12:56 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1256

Ah shame fraser franks let out a premier league cheating scream.

3 people like this 3 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)1/1 19:10Tue Jan 1 19:10:19 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1409

If the ref saw that as dangerous he is a fucking twat!

By RockyBottom1/1 21:18Tue Jan 1 21:18:30 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 1256

Just seen the highlights. If he made contact on his ankle I can see why the ref gave it, can't really tell from that viewpoint. A bit harsh maybe, but challenges often look completely different at different angles. If Franks didn't think it was then we have been unlucky.

Also how did we win that? Newport had so many good chances to score!

Edited by RockyBottom at 03:09:41 on 2nd January 2019

5 people dislike this 5 people

By WGC292/1 12:50Wed Jan 2 12:50:37 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 845

Don't you have anything positive to say about the club ? Performances are not great i get that but think how it would be if we were in Notts County position.

By RockyBottom2/1 20:58Wed Jan 2 20:58:59 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 633

OK you want a positive....

I have been very impressed with Cuthbert this season. He is miles better than I thought he would be and is possibly the best centre back the club has ever had.

By Sev2/1 21:12Wed Jan 2 21:12:33 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 664

He's up there with Ashton Bostwick and Robbo.

By RockyBottom3/1 00:08Thu Jan 3 00:08:26 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 590

I don't class Bostwick as a centre back for us as he was mostly used in midfield.

For me, he is probably a better defender than the other two.

By Deano (deanos13)2/1 13:05Wed Jan 2 13:05:21 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 852

He watched 2 mins of highlights. Imagine if he'd seen the whole thing...........

By Jonnym82/1 14:47Wed Jan 2 14:47:42 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 795

The Sky sports highlights made it look as though Newport were the better side. The reality was different.

By SFCfox2/1 18:12Wed Jan 2 18:12:19 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 707

They clearly came for the draw then didn't know how to adjust when Guthrie was sent off.

By Ratman462/1 09:23Wed Jan 2 09:23:15 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 961

Because we scored one of our chances and they didn't 👍

By Bankerbob2/1 11:08Wed Jan 2 11:08:35 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 894

And maybe they saved their shooting boots for the FA Cup tie against Leicester on Sunday?

By Threshold2/1 11:56Wed Jan 2 11:56:07 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 880

I'm just re-playing Dino's post match Q&A session with Steve. Was he actually at the same game, I'm all for being positive but most around me were polar opposite with their views. Then again probably why he's a football club Manager and I'm not.

By Sev2/1 13:53Wed Jan 2 13:53:44 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 810

A lot around me were saying it wasn't very good but having gone to Crewe I saw a vast improvement. So I guess it's all relative and what you're used to or expecting.

I was quite positive throughout and thought we were always in the game and confident of getting a result. When we went down to 10 men my confidence wavered a bit but we managed the game well.

I was very happy with the result and pleased with the performance overall, other than the criticisms I mentioned above.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))2/1 15:10Wed Jan 2 15:10:18 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 775

The shape changed after the sending off, and having Timlin come on in the middle helped enormously.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)2/1 14:21Wed Jan 2 14:21:40 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 829

I was surprised Deano was a bit negative in his post-match summary. I enjoyed it and thought it was finely balanced.

Ok it wasn't a quality game of flowing football, it was standard league 2 fare, with the players, especially second half putting the effort in and grafting.

By Deano (deanos13)2/1 14:39Wed Jan 2 14:39:56 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 795

Yes I was a bit. It was a game lacking in ANY quality. I'm generally disappointed with the inconsistency, as we all probably are.
But there are no other options. The bench didn't have a game-changer on it. (You will of course say the goal was made and scored by 2 subs) But I'll stand by what I said about the players we need in this window. I believe it is only the 3 I mentioned. That will see us go on to the top 7.

Some players that came in the summer have disappointed and as you say elsewhere, need to go somewhere else and get better lower down the leagues.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)2/1 15:04Wed Jan 2 15:04:46 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 841

I disagree that we need a striker that can get us 10 goals in half a season. Newton can do that.

We do need a winger and a Dean Parrett type player though. (Is Dean still in and out of the team?)

By Freemo3/1 12:56Thu Jan 3 12:56:12 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 553

Boydy has been written off and available for nothing in the summer.

By Mad Fraser Franks (Roulette Len)3/1 22:03Thu Jan 3 22:03:15 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 454

Barry Hayles not getting a game at the moment?

I think that GB is still a little bit out of our league/budget at the moment.

Dino has had a few quid, taken a gamble, some winners, some losers.

Ex player syndrome, does my head in.

By Freemo4/1 10:34Fri Jan 4 10:34:46 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 348

If blind nostalgia is good enough for hiring coaching staff, I don't see why players should be exempt.

By Mad Fraser Franks (Roulette Len)4/1 12:54Fri Jan 4 12:54:35 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 332

DM knows the club inside out which I would say would be a positive plus he would not play in the team.

At the beginning of the season I'd wager that the majority of Boro fans would rather we had signed Mark Roberts than Scott Cuthbert.

Sometimes it is better to look forward...

By Sev3/1 20:36Thu Jan 3 20:36:11 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 450

That would be the greatest signing of all time. We would win the league, this season.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By SFC George3/1 15:42Thu Jan 3 15:42:09 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 499

Fucking hell yes. Anything for a bit of flair and excitement in this team. Yes there are a lot of try hards in this team that get the crowd going but we are seriously lacking a player that gets fans excited when the ball is at their feet (though that's a big ask in this current team).

By Freemo3/1 17:01Thu Jan 3 17:01:02 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 511

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/02/sheffield-wednesday-fans-react-to-george-boyds-latest-display/

Shit.

Edited by Freemo at 17:02:07 on 3rd January 2019

By Jonnym82/1 16:32Wed Jan 2 16:32:39 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 774

He didn’t play yesterday

By Deano (deanos13)2/1 17:34Wed Jan 2 17:34:11 2019In response to Re: Just seen the highlights Top of thread

Views: 731

We can't afford him.......

Plus Balders, if Danny can, then I'm happy with that. I did move him back into my Boro5's team yesterday, which is obviously bad news for him.

Edited by deanos13 at 17:36:45 on 2nd January 2019

Previous thread: North stand by Handyandy12/1 12:20Wed Jan 2 12:20:05 2019view thread