ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat
Ronnie Henry - Testimonial 6th May

Return to front page

Newest article: SA News by SA AdministratorToday 12:50Today at 12:50:27view thread

Oldest article: youth fa cup match by Bragbury10630/10/2018 21:42Tue Oct 30 21:42:54 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Last 10 games by WGC295/1 17:46Sat Jan 5 17:46:34 2019view thread

Are we better than we were under Sarll?

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)5/1 20:04Sat Jan 5 20:04:19 2019

Views: 1472

I'm not sure... I think so, marginally. But it's definitely debatable.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll?

By Thora9/1 14:47Wed Jan 9 14:47:55 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 444

Some more questions...

1. Were we better under Sarll than we were under Edward?
2. Has anything been better than before we let GW go?
3. How do we define better? Is it winning? Attractive football? Not everyone hating us? Attendances increasing?
4. Does it matter who is in charge of us when we don't have enough money to compete for top end L2 players?

2 people like this 2 people   

By Puds (Chuds)9/1 18:31Wed Jan 9 18:31:01 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 355

1) Yep.
2) Crowds under Teddy, entertainment under Sarll for a decent period. That final GW season, despite making the playoffs, was mostly shit and boring.
3) Overall enjoyment and eagerness to attend matches.
4) Yes.

Edited by Chuds at 18:31:19 on 9th January 2019

By Sev9/1 18:12Wed Jan 9 18:12:37 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 342

1. Yes
2. No
3. Winning
4. It matters but only to a certain level. You'll never please all the fans. Those who have unrealistic expectations will always want a different manager to whoever is in charge. I say employ someone and stick with them until we're shitter than a mid table side.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/1 19:20Wed Jan 9 19:20:33 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 298

Shitter than a mid table side eh?

Like Cambridge?

By Sev9/1 19:40Wed Jan 9 19:40:23 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 261

I meant finishing the league in the lower quartile.

I don't like to state the obvious...

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)6/1 16:55Sun Jan 6 16:55:10 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 870

But we have been inconsistent since we stopped playing Chris Day.

Edited by Original Mr Wasp at 17:08:28 on 6th January 2019

3 people like this 3 people   

Re: I don't like to state the obvious...

By SFCfox6/1 17:11Sun Jan 6 17:11:31 2019In response to I don't like to state the obvious...Top of thread

Views: 780

Good shout.

By Lops (lopo)6/1 16:29Sun Jan 6 16:29:49 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 803

From what I've seen... little difference.

Squad wise, it's on a par with last year. Possibly better on paper. Certainly more FL experience.

Tactically we've been found wanting. That has to be on Dino.

By MSFC5/1 21:59Sat Jan 5 21:59:20 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1105

In Sarll's first full season when we had Lee, Schumacher and McAnuff in midfield that was a better team than this one. In his second season when he changed them all no definately not. It is a matter of perspective but I thought Sarll's team in his first season played some excellent stuff before they imploded near the end.

By jayess6/1 17:28Sun Jan 6 17:28:13 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 766

The reason they imploded was that Godden and Shuey got injured and Jobi ran out of legs.
But that run of six successive away wins was the most fun I've had watching Stevenage since the first season in League One.
Portsmouth away was epic.

By worrier6/1 00:19Sun Jan 6 00:19:36 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1013

Sarll was told that he didn't have any money so had to bring the youngsters through, hence the likes of Mc Kee, Wilmot, wade slater to name but afew , but with Dino the board have thrown some money at Dino to bring in new players, which he has, about 15

so overall the two had two different tasks

but has been seen, a lot of Dino players are not up to league football, and so the inconsistency is becoming more evident

not up to standard

Nugent
Hunt
Reid
Ball
Snoupe
Campbell - Rice

By Newbie_Boro7/1 09:59Mon Jan 7 09:59:50 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 505

I think Nugent, Hunt and Ball are all alright. Sonupe baffles me, he looks like hes either not that fussed or hes just so confused he has no idea whats going on! Not a big fan of Campbell-Ryce but hes a good squad player. We lack so much in CM and Timlin being injured has shown that, keeping someone like Jonny Smith would've been useful just for some competition in there. Iontton is a good youngster but hes not the messiah like Dino makes out, hes not good enough to start consecutive games yet

By Sev7/1 20:51Mon Jan 7 20:51:02 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 403

If Dino thought Iontton was the messiah he wouldn't have taken him off at half time ahead of Byrom and Timlin. He's playing him as one of his tasks as manager is to blood youngsters so we can sell them on.

By Sev6/1 07:52Sun Jan 6 07:52:09 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 948

I'd disagree they aren't up to standard. You'll have people argue all of them are or with the likes of Ball, Sonupe and Reid haven't been given enough opportunity yet. Nugent, Hunt and Campbell Ryce has loads of League experience and are clearly able at this level. Maybe not good enough to win the league but good enough to be in the league.

By Boromatt5/1 21:19Sat Jan 5 21:19:52 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1128

Don’t get me wrong, today was awful. But, we are not worse than Sarlls team. I had no hope for Sarlls team, this team we’ve got good players, players that have been successful in the division. Today was all down to that fucking stupid 4-3-3 formation we played today on a wide pitch. Absolute brainless tactics. This team have so much more potential than Sarlls, but the tactics today cost us massively.

By Puds (Chuds)5/1 21:31Sat Jan 5 21:31:27 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1098

So we have good players but brainless tactics are costing us being better than we are?

Who do we blame for that?

By worrier6/1 00:21Sun Jan 6 00:21:47 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 980

similar scenario happened recently at Man utd

change the problem and things will improve

1 person likes this 1 person   4 people dislike this 4 people

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)6/1 08:49Sun Jan 6 08:49:02 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 910

Except Man utd have the 2nd biggest budget in the league and they have had easy games since he took over.

By RockyBottom5/1 21:38Sat Jan 5 21:38:39 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1106

Our squad is mid tabke at best IMO, even though the league is a pretty weak one compared to some years.

We probably don't have the budget to expect much better and certainly shouldn't be expecting to win every week.

However, what has really really bothered me with the last few managers is that they just don't seem to be able to identify or address problems that are clear to 75% of the fanbase even when alternative solutions are right there. The Byrom/ Timlin thing is a classic example this season.

Edited by RockyBottom at 21:38:58 on 5th January 2019

By RockyBottom5/1 21:17Sat Jan 5 21:17:24 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1111

I would say about the same.

By Puds (Chuds)5/1 21:11Sat Jan 5 21:11:44 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1096

No.

I thoroughly enjoy Wildin being expected to patrol the entire right hand side singlehandedly.

"But we have no other options".

Try fucking playing Ronnie at RB and Wildin RM so we have some cunting width and options out wide.

The number of times we got the ball in the middle today and waited five seconds for Wildin to get forward (NOT his fault) to offer any option on the entire right half of the pitch, during which time all their players got back to defend, boiled my piss.

We have other options to the exact same line-up and formation every week.

By Pat (PatJ5)7/1 09:36Mon Jan 7 09:36:40 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 500

We haven't had decent protection in front of the full-backs since Wilson left.

By RockyBottom5/1 21:19Sat Jan 5 21:19:08 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1105

I said TV and Wildin down the right but was slated as some still think Kennedy is the messiah. He shouldn't even be in the side. But hell I could say that about all our midfield!

By worrier6/1 00:25Sun Jan 6 00:25:12 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 932

I agree with your choice, TVC is the better defender and Wildin is the better going forward, so give these a go

Against Colchester Kennedy playing on the right chased back numerous times and helped the defender out, in the last 2 games he has gone missing along with others players

By Sev6/1 07:53Sun Jan 6 07:53:39 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 900

Not convinced by TVC. I'd prefer Henry unless pace is an absolute necessity against a particular opposition.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Deano (deanos13)6/1 09:59Sun Jan 6 09:59:31 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 809

I've asked the question. I don't see Luther playing right mid.

By Cruffers5/1 21:23Sat Jan 5 21:23:14 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1097

I’d get rid of Kennedy tomorrow. Proper lazy again today.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Puds (Chuds)5/1 21:34Sat Jan 5 21:34:29 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1032

As per usual. And a horrendous touch as usual.

But he is our leading scorer and one of the only players who *can* create something from something. Difficult as I really would love to fuck him off but do we have better options?

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)5/1 23:50Sat Jan 5 23:50:32 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 940

No we don't.

Perhaps we need to play to his strengths, try to play the ball quickly on the floor a bit more often.

And find someone else to protect the flanks, because he's never gonna do that consistently, (although he did it well a few games back, it's not what he does best)

By SFCfox5/1 22:26Sat Jan 5 22:26:39 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1003

I don't mind Kenners. What i do mind is Dino starting with three centre midfielders.

Fuck sake

By Cruffers5/1 21:38Sat Jan 5 21:38:50 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1027

Harder working options, yes I think we have, which ultimately works better for the team as a whole. He’s a luxury that we can’t afford at the moment.

I’d love to see TVC and Wildin working that right side together, both offensively and defensively.

By Owen5/1 20:30Sat Jan 5 20:30:59 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1165

I think we are marginally better, but some of his tactics (especially away from home) are weird. Solutions seem to be pretty obvious to most on here. Maybe he needs one or two additions this month.

By Roulette Len5/1 20:29Sat Jan 5 20:29:28 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1130

Short term? Yes.

Long term?

By Ratman465/1 20:22Sat Jan 5 20:22:15 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1174

Don't know if I'm honest, the same promise of high pressing attacking football isn't there.

As others have said we're better off points wise but not convinced we're playing any better.

Hoofing into the channels is the same no matter who's in charge.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)5/1 20:20Sat Jan 5 20:20:49 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1177

Sarllz never grew up in a tent with a pet goat on the Jackmans. If he had he would still be with us.

By jayess5/1 20:15Sat Jan 5 20:15:50 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1185

I was pondering exactly that at the end of a depressing afternoon listening to the commentary.
This time last year we had four fewer points from the same number of games, so on the face of it that is a tiny bit of progress.
But we also have a team that is older and not as potentially exciting.
I thought under Dino it might not be pretty but that we would be attritional, effective and grind out results when we shouldn't.
Not much sign of that lately, and the football is SOOO dull.
If Sarll had had Farman or Dieng in goal for the first half of last season he might still be in the job. It is about small margins...

By RockyBottom5/1 21:21Sat Jan 5 21:21:22 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1061

We will be really fucked when we lose our best player in a few weeks time.

Edited by RockyBottom at 21:21:53 on 5th January 2019

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)5/1 21:25Sat Jan 5 21:25:34 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1038

If we lose Seddon, it'll be next week. Loans about up isn't it?

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 21:25:58 on 5th January 2019

By Cruffers5/1 21:46Sat Jan 5 21:46:29 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1002

15th January I think.

By Jonnym85/1 20:12Sat Jan 5 20:12:14 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1172

I think we are but or midfield needs addressing for us to gain some consistency. I think our back four is improved (Although not popular I thought Nugent was very good today) and we have a decent four strikers in Newton, Revell, Guthrie and Reid. I’m not convinced by anyone in our midfield though.

By Puds (Chuds)5/1 21:15Sat Jan 5 21:15:07 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1070

We have decent options who are being totally wasted.

Dino will never take us up.

Does he deserve sacking? Obviously not.

Will our seasons all ultimately be a dull and boring waste of time? Yes. Undoubtedly.

Dislike all you like. He is Sarll Mk II.

By Deltic 215/1 21:36Sat Jan 5 21:36:29 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1026

Is it time to call Graham yet?! 😃

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By SFCfox5/1 20:10Sat Jan 5 20:10:17 2019In response to Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1200

Compared to last season, yes. We've got the experience, but we're missing the attacking centre midfielder and the Matty Godden.

The core of our team is solid. I'd like to see..

Dieng
Wildin Cuthbert Nugent Hunt
Byrom Timlin
Kenners Newton Seddon
Revell

Promotion in the bag.

2 people dislike this 2 people

By Sev5/1 22:11Sat Jan 5 22:11:11 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 972

My team for next game would be:

Farman
Henry Cuthbert Wilkinson Seddon
Luther Timlin Iontton Campbell-Ryce
Newton Revell

With good options on the bench

Kennedy to come on if need a change or spark
Sonupe to replace C-R if he get knackered.
Reid to add pace up front (when not suspended)
Guthrie to got sent off (I realise he's suspended)
Byrom to replace Timlin if he needs a rest
Hunt as cover
Nugent as cover

Edited by Sev at 22:11:52 on 5th January 2019

By SFCfox5/1 22:21Sat Jan 5 22:21:59 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 978

Campbell-ryce is garbage.

4 people dislike this 4 people

By Puds (Chuds)5/1 22:27Sat Jan 5 22:27:00 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1038

Only player who looked to create anything today.

4 people like this 4 people   

By jayess6/1 09:20Sun Jan 6 09:20:20 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 813

Always looks to create something, but where is the end result (except at Swindon...at the wrong end)?

By Copeysaurus6/1 14:16Sun Jan 6 14:16:47 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 733

He’s been involved in more goals than you think.

By Sev5/1 22:26Sat Jan 5 22:26:06 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 973

Only player who looked like creating anything today, although needs to not just loft the crosses in.

Could have Hunt and Seddon on the left if you prefer.

By SFCfox6/1 08:46Sun Jan 6 08:46:48 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 826

Seddon for sure. Hunt is a more than capable left back.

Campbell-Ryce can't beat his man and his crosses are always too weak. The only time he did beat his man he ran it out of play!

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By RockyBottom5/1 21:23Sat Jan 5 21:23:21 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1037

Not a chance with that line up!

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)5/1 20:33Sat Jan 5 20:33:19 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1147

Take Dieng and Seddon out of that 11 and where are we? (And Seddon is a good FB but only an average winger, if he stays, play to his strengths)

I have reached the conclusion that Byrom and Timlin shouldn't ever start together. Start either, preferably Timlin, but not both. Not even in a 451, let alone a 442 or 433 formation.

Bring the other on once we've established a lead and need to see it out for the last 25 minutes.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 20:34:37 on 5th January 2019

By RockyBottom5/1 21:25Sat Jan 5 21:25:30 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 1046

I can't believe Dino can't see the whole Byrom/ Timlin thing. It was obvious in September!

By worrier6/1 00:29Sun Jan 6 00:29:38 2019In response to Re: Are we better than we were under Sarll? Top of thread

Views: 916

timlin and Ionotton are the way forward at the moment

Previous thread: 8 years tonight by WGC298/1 13:40Tue Jan 8 13:40:58 2019view thread