ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat
Ronnie Henry - 501 not out.

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Billy Joe confirmed at The Lamex by BankerbobYesterday 19:29Yesterday at 19:29:26view thread

Oldest article: Latest L2 Prediction Comp Table by SA Administrator6/10/2018 18:10Sat Oct 6 18:10:26 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: L2 Prediction Comp - latest Table by SA Administrator12/1 19:09Sat Jan 12 19:09:49 2019view thread

My view on recent form

By Boromatt7/1 00:40Mon Jan 7 00:40:09 2019

Views: 1304

I just wanted to make a thread giving my view on what I believe are the main issues with the team at the moment, mainly 3 points.

Number 1: Tactics and homework (on opposition)

This has been probably my main issue throughout the season. There have been so many games (including yesterday) where the tactics have cost us massively along with the clear lack of homework we do on other teams. I’ll use yesterday as an example. Playing 4-3-3 on an open, wide pitch with 2 slow midfielders, against a side that like to get the ball wide with 2 fast players was extremely naive. Away from home, play a strong, tight midfield, keep the game tight with 20 to go and nick a result. It’s a fact that we score a lot of goals in the last 20 minutes of games, just keep in the game. IMO we seem to win and always lose the next game solely down to the fact that we play exactly the same tactics in the next game. Problem is, every team is different and you have to play a certain way to counteract the other teams strengths. Something we’ve lacked massively.

Number 2: Midfield

A concerning issue for me is our midfield. Something which has concerned me since the start of the season. I think Joel and Micheal are two experienced, class operators. But unfortunately lack pace and energy in the middle, because of this we get overrun too much in games, therefore leading to silly goals conceded. I feel for the back 4 and the amount of pressure the back 4 have had to deal with for the past few months. I’ve been there before as a centre half and when the middle of the pitch aren’t doing their jobs properly in tracking runners etc, it makes it so tough to be able to stop goals going in. Luckily, the transfer window is open and Dino IMO needs to invest in a big, strong, athletic midfield player to provide a bit more stability in the middle.

Number 3: Players not performing/players not been given a chance.

Another thing that seems to be holding this team back is there does seem to be some players underperforming when there are players on the bench who aren’t getting enough game time. Ben Kennedy, a great talent, great skills, but, isn’t cutting it. Gives the ball away a lot and for me doesn’t have enough impact to which he should have given his talent. At the moment Ben seems to be a luxury player. He’ll do something superb once in a while (goal at Luton and at home against MK Dons) but other than that doesn’t contribute enough. We have some really good players on the bench that hardly get any game time. Sonupe should be used a lot more and would give us pace and a threat out wide. Alex Reid, (I know his suspended) should be given more time, has pace and can score goals. James Ball, a tall lad, proven that he can score goals and would add a little extra in the midfield. Just 3 examples of players that should be playing more and would definitely help our issues currently.

Those 3 points IMO are the real main issues that I currently think are occurring with this team. To have 11 wins and 11 losses, with only 5 draws shows that we struggle seeing out results, that all comes down to the tactics. If Joel and Micheal are starting, put 5 in the middle, make it difficult for teams to break us down. However, I do think this team have so much potential and we do have a lot of experience with players who have played at the top of the division for many years. Yesterday was shit, the next 4 games are really important in getting out this blip we seem to be in. 3 teams down the bottom, Crawley, Morecambe and Yeovil, where we should be picking up at least 6-7 points. IMO we’re only 12 points away from definitely staying up this season, let’s get that done and dusted and then see where we are in relation to the top 7. Thoughts?

Edited by Boromatt at 00:48:10 on 7th January 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people   

Re: My view on recent form

By Sev7/1 20:58Mon Jan 7 20:58:48 2019In response to My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 738

Some good points. About changing your team to counteract the opposition... some managers believe you focus on yourself and own strengths and let the other team change to adapt to you.

I'm not sure where I stand. I think I would like to adapt my team to use our strengths rather than try to come in the opposition. Subtle difference.

So if you know the opposition has a slow right back, you play a quick winger. Or if they play long ball you stick some big header winning players on.

But equally if you've got better players, you play them and let the opposition change their team to try and stop you.

I'm certainly frustrated at the lack of width, lack of defensive protection down the wings and the slow midfield. We just don't create anything exciting because it's slow predictable play. Only when someone lile Newton gets the ball and runs at players is it exciting. But then no one is backing him up to pick up the ball when he gets tackled, they're sitting 30 yards back.

Same with Wildin. When he runs forward it's exciting and quick. But he will a lot of the time get tackled. If you have someone 10 yards behind him, they'd pick up the loose ball and continue the attack. But there's no one around. So the other team pick up the ball and attack us.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Boromatt9/1 08:42Wed Jan 9 08:42:59 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 477

I agree about focussing on ourselves. It's important to build a style of play, but, at this level of football you need to do your homework. That doesn't necessarily mean stopping our style of play to counteract other teams we play, it just means working on things in training and implementing them on a Saturday against sides that have certain strengths which could play apart.

Overall, I don't actually think we're in the shit, far from it. I think these little things are fixable and once they are sorted I'm sure our form will start to turn.

1 person likes this 1 person   

James Ball

By Rotterdamboro7/1 16:04Mon Jan 7 16:04:24 2019In response to My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 1089

I liked the look of him when he signed from Stockport and even more so after the first game against Tranmere. He looked like the Bostwick type of player we needed. But something is clearly not right. Either he has been carrying an injury all season, struggles to retain fitness, is unhappy ‘darn sarth’ or isn’t consistent enough for league football. There has to be a reason that he gets hauled off early in games - not that he starts these days

Re: James Ball

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))12/1 16:48Sat Jan 12 16:48:48 2019In response to James BallTop of thread

Views: 362

I bow to your genius once again Rotter. Good call on Ball

By Lops (lopo)9/1 09:41Wed Jan 9 09:41:02 2019In response to James BallTop of thread

Views: 536

Seems like a bit of a luxury player from what I’ve seen.

Technically decent but probably more in the McKee mould (apart from build) which doesn’t seem like is Dino’s cup of tea.

By Boromatt9/1 08:45Wed Jan 9 08:45:02 2019In response to James BallTop of thread

Views: 543

I like James, I think James is a really good player and its quite evident that he nips in with a few goals every season. Don't forget its his first season as a pro, he'll learn a lot from this season. I would look to give him more of a chance.

By Ratman469/1 09:36Wed Jan 9 09:36:58 2019In response to Re: James BallTop of thread

Views: 537

Not so sure, when Ronnie comes on ahead of him in CM thats a worry.

I'd like him to stay and get a chance in the middle tho.

By Cruffers9/1 10:35Wed Jan 9 10:35:48 2019In response to Re: James BallTop of thread

Views: 473

Ronnie came on in that game in a purely defensive role, almost as a third centre back. Ball wouldn’t have been suited to that role at that point in the game.

By Ratman469/1 11:39Wed Jan 9 11:39:48 2019In response to Re: James BallTop of thread

Views: 484

True, we won the game so no issue.

Iontton starting ahead of him as well, know we want to develop youngsters to sell but still.

Edited by Ratman46 at 11:39:55 on 9th January 2019

By Sev7/1 20:40Mon Jan 7 20:40:36 2019In response to James BallTop of thread

Views: 726

Ball and McKee would be a great midfield.

By Puds (Chuds)7/1 19:55Mon Jan 7 19:55:55 2019In response to James BallTop of thread

Views: 745

He was playing with an injury for a fair while at the start of the season, which is why he only ever lasted an hour.

No idea why he never gets a look in now.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)7/1 16:31Mon Jan 7 16:31:28 2019In response to James BallTop of thread

Views: 930

Sarll keeps mistaking him for Harry Beautyman.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)7/1 17:43Mon Jan 7 17:43:32 2019In response to Re: James BallTop of thread

Views: 868

Or "Think of a number"

By RockyBottom7/1 15:33Mon Jan 7 15:33:56 2019In response to My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 904

Agree with a lot of what you say here Matt.

Edited by RockyBottom at 15:34:11 on 7th January 2019

By bentucker24037/1 14:34Mon Jan 7 14:34:53 2019In response to My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 859

agree with that you're saying in the most part.

timlin and byrom cannot play together. no legs at all! we get over run 70% of the game.

why not try luther right mid. with tvc behind him! wildins better work is in the attacking half of the pitch! so why not try him there!

By Copeysaurus7/1 15:04Mon Jan 7 15:04:35 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 899

Agreed

By WGC297/1 12:23Mon Jan 7 12:23:44 2019In response to My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 991

Been thinking for months we need a right winger who can backtrack good enough to support the right back position.

By Bankerbob7/1 12:35Mon Jan 7 12:35:10 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 960

Is Dean Martin still around?

By Ratman467/1 13:47Mon Jan 7 13:47:14 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 917

Sadly not, passwed away in 95

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Martin

By Copeysaurus7/1 15:05Mon Jan 7 15:05:08 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 884

How about David Martin?

By Ratman467/1 15:08Mon Jan 7 15:08:04 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 874

He's still playing for Millwall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Martin_(footballer,_born_1986)

By Pat (PatJ5)7/1 09:29Mon Jan 7 09:29:21 2019In response to My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 1031

A good considered post.

I'd add one thing to that:

Number 4: Playing to the officials. We are terrible about judging what the officiating teams will and won't let you get away with, something opponents often seem to be much better at capitalising on.

By Sev7/1 20:45Mon Jan 7 20:45:26 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 654

Definitely could have got a Cambridge player sent off on Saturday if all the players went running in pushing the opposition and surrounding the ref, and the player on the floor faked a broken leg. But loke when we have the ball they just all stood there and the injured player got up fairly quickly. Yellow card.

By Ratman467/1 22:10Mon Jan 7 22:10:19 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 612

Some Cambridge fans reckon it could of been a red and they got lucky. Not seen it again but live did look rash.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)7/1 07:24Mon Jan 7 07:24:13 2019In response to My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 1096

On your first point we did try and play a strong tight midfield, we played 3 CMs . We lacked any width or cover for the FBs. Should have played 4-5-1 or a traditional 4-4-2. We lost because Dino got the shape and tactics wrong, narrow and hoofing aimlessly into channels, everything stemmed from that.

On the midfield I agree.

On giving Sonupé a chance, he's had chances and not impressed. He's not yet L2 ready. Loan him out.

Ball similar but has shown flashes. Although he isn't the answer yet either.

Reid we haven't seen enough of beyond pre-season to know.

JCR on his day is ok and gave us width and a bit of spark Satdi for 20 minutes, but isn't the answer either.

By Cruffers7/1 11:54Mon Jan 7 11:54:40 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 956

IIRC we did pretty well at the start of the season when Ball was playing regularly, even when he was playing in a unfamiliar wider position. He even chipped in with a few goals. I can't help thinking that he is the legs we need as an attacking midfielder. This then means that Timlin/ Byrom/ Irontton can sit deeper to protect the centre-backs and also track across to the wider areas to help the full-backs when required. In my view Timlin is best for this role as the holding midfielder at present, but it's a role Irontton will develop more into over time.

By Hitchin Callling7/1 07:55Mon Jan 7 07:55:17 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 1059

Talking of loans Martin/Goddard now finished ?
As seems clear not in DM's plans we need to get off paybill somehow.

By RockyBottom7/1 15:32Mon Jan 7 15:32:42 2019In response to Re: My view on recent formTop of thread

Views: 860

Interestingly Martin has been playing left midfield for Bristol Rovers. I never rated him at full back and they aren't exactly doing well but might have been an option if he hadn't been left out in the cold.

Previous thread: News Round Up by Sev9/1 20:57Wed Jan 9 20:57:36 2019view thread