ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat
Ronnie Henry Testimonial - 6th May

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Meet the manager tonight by BladdersToday 14:50Today at 14:50:34view thread

Oldest article: For the FAO of WASP by Roland Rimbs6/11/2018 15:17Tue Nov 6 15:17:05 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 3 points by Sev6/4 19:23Sat Apr 6 19:23:23 2019view thread

Offers from abroad

By Deltic 216/4 12:08Sat Apr 6 12:08:53 2019

Views: 1202

PW’s comments in The Comet about how he’s had huge interest in a takeover from America, Canada and China interested me. Imagine having a few million pumped in as we buy our way to the Championship. Fantastically exciting prospect or the way to disaster? Discuss.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: Offers from abroad

By fox y14/4 08:51Sun Apr 14 08:51:45 2019In response to Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 224

It's all well and good when the investors pump money in, and take us up the leagues. But when they bugger off, expect the club to dissolve into another Scarborough, Chester, Wimbledon, Hereford. Afc Boro Of Stevenage, doesn't have that same ring to it.

By RockyBottom6/4 18:33Sat Apr 6 18:33:02 2019In response to Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 782

The worst thing that could happen to the club.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)6/4 13:36Sat Apr 6 13:36:22 2019In response to Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 1033

How many clubs have gone bent with shady foreign investment?

I don't want some overseas investor rebranding and rebuilding our club into something commercial and slick that I don't recognise.

I'd rather continue to be a small tinpot fish in the football league. Otherwise I'd bugger off and support Spuds or Arsenal.

Even the successful ones, like Salford, are losing their identity as more and more money is poured in, yes they might get into the FL, and for us we might get up to the Championship with multi-millions poured in, but that comes at a cost.

If PW can find someone willing to bankroll the squad to enable us to compete in L1 I'd swallow that, but even then I'd be nervous of the investor pulling out, us being left high and dry with big wage bills and no ability to sustain them, followed by an insolvency order and a drop back to Conference South.

Maybe I'm just not that ambitious, but I started watching Stevenage because I liked the tinpot side of non-league and now the lower leagues. M happy here.

10 people like this 10 people   

By WGC296/4 18:00Sat Apr 6 18:00:10 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 776

I'd rather us build our way up the league's then buy our way to success.

I always thought Wallace was a, build your way up the league man, then rather go into business with some cowboy who has funds to buy the club to higher success. We've always been a small club with little support, but fuck sake we don't need to take the option to buy our success and trophies like other clubs have done have done in the past.

So what if we have small attendances,maybe reduce the prices least then you'd maybe get a little extra attendances.

Rather stupid decision in my opinion. To me this club ain't what it use to be. let alone professional football losing the plot all together.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Pete (PeteH)6/4 21:17Sat Apr 6 21:17:31 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 649

You could make it free entry and I bet it wouldn't make a significant difference to the attendance.

5 people like this 5 people   

By AgentEves8/4 17:16Mon Apr 8 17:16:07 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 407

I heard that they sent out a bunch of vouchers offering entry for a fiver, something like 80,000 went out. Except a lot of them went to existing season ticket holders, which is mind numbing.

I also don't really know why the club doesn't acknowledge that people travel from outside of Stevenage, instead of thinking the only people who would support the team live in Stevenage. If anything, it's the opposite. If people in Stevenage aren't biting, shouldn't we be starting to market ourselves to various towns nearby?

I used to drive all the way from Sawbridgeworth, and then Stansted, and later on I used to get the bus & train from Hackney to go to games. Getting to Stevenage from London is easy - 20 mins from Kings Cross/Finsbury Park. So why not try and scoop up some disgruntled Arsenal fans?

They need to start offering something unique, too. I don't know what that could be, but there needs to be something.

Although I'm inclined to agree - I suspect if they did a promotional game offering free entry, they wouldn't see a huge increase in attendance. And even if they did, they would mostly be people who already go occasionally, or would be people who are literally only going because it's free and won't go again once they have to pay.

As long as football is on the TV, and you can be a Man Utd, Arsenal, Juventus or Real Madrid fan from your armchair, clubs like ours will never grow.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Jonnym88/4 19:58Mon Apr 8 19:58:22 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 372

If the football is shit people don’t come from Stevenage let alone further afield. Improve the football and more people will come, to do that takes money - barring the odd bit of managerial genius which Westley provided but few others have been able to replicate. It’s a vicious circle, but PW has successfully done it the traditional way but recongnises that money in football is more significant than ever and if we continue along the same path then we aren’t going to push on, the club becomes less valuable should he want to sell and attendances are dwindling as it stands. I’m not sure that PW has much choice and by seeking investment he is for me, thinking about the longevity of Stevenage as a league club with or without him in charge.

3 people like this 3 people   

By AgentEves8/4 23:01Mon Apr 8 23:01:36 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 335

Honestly, I don't think the standard of football has too much impact because if people want to watch good football, they can watch that on the TV. The standard of football back in the 90s wasn't anything to write home about, plus we were in the Conference, yet somehow our gates were higher? Why? Partly because it was cheaper, but mostly because the competition from TV wasn't as strong. It's highly unlikely that the standard of football at the Lamex will ever match the standard of football available on TV, so it shouldn't be our selling point. They need to offer something else that you can't get through the TV.

We didn't even have a bar until recently, and we haven't got one at the moment. From what I hear, the football is crap. The food is horrendous, despite several attempts. The beer in the clubhouse are awful (or at least it always used to be). The atmosphere was a good hook once, but that's been on a downward spiral for years (and that has nothing to do with attendances declining, it's because of the often hostile atmosphere generated amongst our own fans). As a result, the tickets don't represent good value for money.

I don't mean to be negative, but rather than concentrating on pouring money into the playing squad and marginally improving the on-the-field product, why not make every other thing that the club offers phenomenal? It will probably be a fraction of the cost, and there isn't even a guarantee that pouring money into the playing squad will work anyway.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Mr Happy SFC9/4 08:37Tue Apr 9 08:37:56 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 347

Whenever gates have been higher, it has been because we have been winning football matches. That is the single most important factor. It doesn't matter how good the match day experience is without good results. If a better playing squad delivers winning football, the gates would increase. Whether they would increase enough to pay for that squad is a moot point.

By AgentEves9/4 16:50Tue Apr 9 16:50:07 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 286

I can't find average attendances online (after an extensive 3 minute search) but I'm fairly sure I remember it being mentioned that our attendances when we got into the playoffs in League One weren't significantly higher than they have been in League Two.

By Mr Happy SFC9/4 16:56Tue Apr 9 16:56:19 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 273

Both were proceeded by good winning runs. I didn't say that the level was important.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)9/4 08:35Tue Apr 9 08:35:07 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 342

I’d beg to differ. My memories of the 90s are mainly of an attacking and free-scoring team that had quickly come up through the pyramid with a number of promotions, and which was on the verge of getting promoted to the Football League (albeit unsuccessfully). There were a number of memorable players that were exciting to watch during this time.

I’ve always put the high attendances down to the novelty factor of seeing a team that a few years before had been playing in front of 300 supporters in level 9 (or whatever it was) suddenly being catapulted to the verge of the League. The longer we stayed in the Conference, the more the number of floating fans went back to watching Arsenal and Tottenham, as they were always going to.

And in terms of a bar, back in the 90s you were able to pop into the old clubhouse at half time for a quick pint (certainly until the East Terrace was built). Not sure this had anything to do with attendances, but it was a nice feature.

Edited by Geoff Wode at 08:37:55 on 9th April 2019

2 people like this 2 people   

By Pete (PeteH)9/4 09:05Tue Apr 9 09:05:51 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 304

The longer we stayed in the Conference, the more the number of floating fans went back to watching Arsenal and Tottenham, as they were always going to.

There's probs an element of truth to this. Altrincham and Northwich Victoria for the 13th season on the spin, or the Arsenal side winning (for a while) cups and pots. Meanwhile, Spurs had the likes of Ginola, Van der Vaart, Modric...

As for your first bit, I can still remember thinking the title was nailed on after we won six out of six under Dickie Hill. That 3-0 against either Donny or Kettering was as emphatic as it came (can't remember which).

That was maybe the last of the chunky Conference attendances too, IIRC.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Sev8/4 20:22Mon Apr 8 20:22:40 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 340

I remember when we had big games in the conference in the 90s against Woking, Kidderminster and Macclesfield we would get 6000. We would never get that in the league now.

Why? I don't know.

Maybe our low attendance aren't a result of any failings now, maybe they're a result of our failings back then. What were we doing back then to get the next generation in? The older generation have either sadly passed away or moved on. They've not been replaced.

The past 5 years or so we have been doing great work with the younger generation and maybe that will pay dividends in 15 years time.

Even when we won the conference, the playoffs and played League One against Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United and Wolves we weren't getting what we got in 95/96 for one off games.

I guess the football under Fairclough with Hayles, Sodje, Berry, Browne, Crawshaw, Smith... was a bit more sexy but is that the main thing.

Now we have experienced games against Newcastle, Tottenham, Everton and those big League One sides, the prospect of playing Macclesfield isn't so appealing.

We're at a natural level and to achieve the success we had under Westley we would have to drop out the football league and start again. But no one really wants that.

We have to capture the imagination of the community and have a story to tell. That with a new north stand and the hard work in attracting younger fans may pay off in the long run. But I can't see us ever averaging 5000.

By Jonnym88/4 20:40Mon Apr 8 20:40:45 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 348

Interesting point about the older generation of fans moving on. A few years ago, the chants and shouts from the crowd were witty and generally amusing. As a fan base we definitely punched above our weight in noise created and creativity of songs etc that in itself helped attendances because even when the football was poor you knew that the match day experience would be good. Nowadays, there’s no getting away from the fact that that element has been lost. It’s hard to put your finger on why it’s changed, there’s a number of reasons but mainly everyone got older and more sensible. There’s no doubting the efforts the club are going to in creating a great off the field experience for younger supporters but you the club can’t creat an atmosphere. That’s up to the fans and we seem to be ‘stuck’ with that part at the moment.

By Owen8/4 20:44Mon Apr 8 20:44:28 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 361

I guess one example is Thora, who posted about this earlier, used to go week in week out. I mean he's not exactly old, but part of that 30-45 age group who were the vocal youth 10 years ago, but don't go for whatever reason.

By Owen8/4 18:10Mon Apr 8 18:10:01 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 366

Agreed. Worth noting that the train service has been dire to Stevenage from Hatfield / WGC and further south since the timetable overhaul last May. I'd have paid £10 for a Hatfield station to stadium return, rather than pissing about with the shitty buses for £8-9 when the service is unreliable or the trains which are an unusable 1 per hour at the moment.

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)6/4 18:32Sat Apr 6 18:32:58 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 741

Reduce the prices?

East Terrace is £15 , cheaper than last year.

Hasn't got any fuller.

They could make it 'pay what you like' and we still wouldn't get close to 4K.

It isn't about cost, it's about feeling you've had good value on (and off) the pitch.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 18:33:42 on 6th April 2019

6 people like this 6 people   

By Jonnym88/4 20:06Mon Apr 8 20:06:15 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 357

Reducing prices has, I would argue reduced attendances. The reason I didn’t buy a ST this year was because there was no benefit in me doing so when I could miss a few games and pay on the day.
I’ve watched a few games from the Main Stand this season and notice a lot of ET faces now opting to sit rather than stand.

By WGC297/4 17:40Sun Apr 7 17:40:23 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 525

with our current management team we won't be in for good value of football it's always gonna be, dull, hoof and boring type of football. imagine how mad people would be going on this forum if we had a manager who wasn't linked to the club.

1 person likes this 1 person   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Cruffers8/4 09:14Mon Apr 8 09:14:20 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 464

Agreed. I think we should get in someone like an ex England player who played at the highest level. That’ll work well and get us loads of value and investment.

2 people like this 2 people   

By WGC298/4 10:29Mon Apr 8 10:29:21 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 438

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a great idea also I think Wallace should let these American people take over the club for the sale of £1 and tell them to build us a 90,000 stadium at knebworth park because that will really be ideal.

1 person likes this 1 person   4 people dislike this 4 people

By Owen7/4 17:49Sun Apr 7 17:49:04 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 500

So, what you're saying is that attendances have little or nothing to do with admission prices. Glad we all now agree.

By Owen6/4 18:51Sat Apr 6 18:51:21 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 699

Yep. £15-20 isn't a lot for an afternoon out these days, to be honest. It's other factors that keep people away, of which there will be numerous.

By Owen6/4 13:57Sat Apr 6 13:57:01 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 947

I agree with Balders.

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)6/4 14:10Sat Apr 6 14:10:26 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 934

Wise man.

By Ratman466/4 14:43Sat Apr 6 14:43:22 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 885

I agree too

By Threshold6/4 17:18Sat Apr 6 17:18:18 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 795

Always the conundrum, spend more dosh to get the results which in turn will (hopefully) attract more supporters. Just how many do you need though to cover the additional outlay?

Having been around long enough (just) to witness the demise of Town and Athletic everything looked secure when Boro formed, that is until VG rolled up. Just what put us on Phil's radar all those years ago goodness knows but what a 20 years it's been.
He's had a go at most things without bankrupting the Club and whilst occasionally there are some murmers about his financial commitment he has been consistent in saying we need a minimum gate of 5,000 to give us the flexibility to push on.
Perhaps now in his advancing years he's looking for another shot at League 1 and/or above, but whichever it is I for one do hope that any new investment is kept under control and well away from destabilising the Club.

8 people like this 8 people   

By Pete (PeteH)6/4 21:16Sat Apr 6 21:16:07 2019In response to Re: Offers from abroadTop of thread

Views: 623

Phil has been an excellent custodian of this club, and we've realised many dreams under his stewardship.

5 people like this 5 people   

Previous thread: L2 Prediction Comp - latest Table by SA Administrator13/4 17:07Sat Apr 13 17:07:38 2019view thread