ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: IT WORKED! by CruffersToday 14:47Today at 14:47:29view thread

Oldest article: Dark arts by Copeysaurus23/3 22:05Sat Mar 23 22:05:33 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Where are they now 72654# by Deano28/6 23:32Fri Jun 28 23:32:09 2019view thread

VAR

By Old Town Boro (SFC Interviews)23/6 20:21Sun Jun 23 20:21:12 2019

Views: 807

After watching the England vs Cameroon game this afternoon, just wanted to get your opinions on VAR personally I feel as much as it slows the game down as long as the decisions are correct at the end that's all that matters, also referee's should not show pity or sympathy on players/teams like I believe happened today as well as I believe that the ref missed an obvious penalty and an obvious red card and gave it in Cameroon's favour so there wasn't a riot at the end of the game, honestly teams like Cameroon have to be punished by the authorities for their behaviour because on another day they could have ended up with 8 players, also there is no place in the game for them trying to pull the racism card either after a goal was rightly given after going to VAR for review? Thoughts guys?

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

Re: VAR

By Owen28/6 15:05Fri Jun 28 15:05:28 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 135

I really dislike VAR for subjective decisions. It was brought in to eradicate the so called 'howlers' but mission creep means a lot more is being referred that isn't a clear and obvious error (something which should have been obvious from its inception). If it has to be introduced, which I guess money dictates, I think it should be for objective line calls only. This would include offsides, which would necessitate a law change to remove active/inactive to make it a yes/no decision.

Glad League 2 is too tinpot for it to matter to us.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Pat (PatJ5)26/6 09:20Wed Jun 26 09:20:15 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 215

Some of the decisions have been baffling. During the groups stages there was a penalty to France awarded to one of their players, despite the fact they jumped into a tackle two footed in a manner which could have seen them sent off.

I think it's being used in the wrong manner, it should be quickly used to over-turn clearly incorrect decisions. Using it to assess between three frames of footage whether or not a player's left big-toenail is offside is a waste of everyone's time, give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team but by all means pull it back if a clear off-side is missed.

By AgentEves26/6 16:33Wed Jun 26 16:33:57 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 195

The penalty in the Netherlands v Japan game yesterday was a good example of it taking way longer than it needs to.

The TV coverage I was watching, as I'm sure was the same for everyone else, showed the replay almost immediately after the penalty was given. They showed one angle, in slow motion, which showed you everything you needed to see to make a decision on whether it was a penalty. I had made my decision within 10 seconds, as would most people watching. What took 60-90 seconds I have no idea. And that was a relatively quick decision, too.

Some of them that take 2-3 minutes is way too long. If you can't decide based on 1/2 replays, then just go with whatever decision you made on the field.

I also don't like that seemingly EVERY decision is being double checked. Surely VAR can check it themselves without needing to tell the ref they are doing so. Then if they disagree, THEN tell the referee it needs to be reviewed.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Pat (PatJ5)28/6 10:23Fri Jun 28 10:23:39 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 169

There was a blatant corner in the England game yesterday that was given as a goal kick and wasn't corrected. I guess that's outside the scope of VAR, but when it's so obvious and so easy to quickly correct it seems stupid not to.

Edited by PatJ5 at 10:24:41 on 28th June 2019

By Sev28/6 13:40Fri Jun 28 13:40:29 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 143

I saw that and wondered if they had scored from the goal kick would they have then gone to VAR?

By Ratman4628/6 13:04Fri Jun 28 13:04:39 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 159

It would take 5 reviews, the ref looking at it for 2 minutes as well

By Pat (PatJ5)28/6 14:36Fri Jun 28 14:36:01 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 140

Reviewing it for 2 minutes and THEN calling the ref over to take a look is totally unnecessary. Just have the TMO make the decision based on what they see and advise the onfield referee. It's as if FIFA have never looked at how another sport applies the technology.

By Ratman4628/6 15:17Fri Jun 28 15:17:55 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 131

Agree, over complicating it.

By Dave (daveadkins)26/6 19:25Wed Jun 26 19:25:16 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 194

Perhaps the VHS machine got stuck?

By RockyBottom24/6 14:56Mon Jun 24 14:56:43 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 394

As with most of the other new rules brought in, it's bloody awful.

VAR will be the worst thing to happen to the game in generations.

Created by someone that watches games from behind a desk because 'other sports do it'.

Another attempt to sanitise the game and strip it of any passion.

The handball thing is almost as bad, soon you will get players not crossing, just aiming for the arm.

Those pundits blaming the ref in that game and saying she lost control also didn't have a clue. What is the ref meant to do when every key decision is double checked and they have to look at a bloody screen for 2 mins each time?

Edited by RockyBottom at 14:58:26 on 24th June 2019
Edited by RockyBottom at 15:00:35 on 24th June 2019

By Freemo24/6 22:03Mon Jun 24 22:03:33 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 275

The handball thing has pissed me off to no end.

Deliberate handball was a perfectly simple concept that refs had been quietly getting on with for decades before pundits armed with seventeen angles in super slo mo with Mandarin commentary announced it was confusing.

God knows when I pay my £5 to see my local non-league side I'm going "WHY AREN'T THERE MORE FOULS BEING GIVEN" for ninety minutes.

By AgentEves24/6 18:02Mon Jun 24 18:02:00 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 326

She did lose control. She should have told the players that either they re-start the game, or everyone is getting booked. And the screaming in the face of the England players - she had no control over stopping that either. She was a very very very bad referee.

VAR will work once they iron out the issues. It shouldn't be used to make every decision "perfect" but it should be used to make sure that obviously incorrect decisions are overturned. It should also be used to spot things the referee might have missed (off the ball instances, for example). However, the referee, when contacted by the VAR, should go straight to the screen to review the call. Then, if viewing the video replay doesn't show that the ruling on the field was OBVIOUSLY incorrect (which should take no more than 15-30 seconds, and 1/2 replays) then the original decision made by the referee should stand.

Referees have proven over the course of time that consistently, they are unable to referee games accurately. It varies, marginally, from referee to referee, but generally what we have seen is that it is impossible for one person to accurately referee a football match. Therefore, bringing in additional referees who have the benefit of replays is an excellent idea. The implementation, at this stage, is shambolic, but rarely is anything perfect right out the gate.

Most people just don't like it because they don't like change. "This is the way we've always done it."

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)24/6 18:37Mon Jun 24 18:37:40 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 302

Don't like change?

You can't accuse Boro fans of that... Look how we've embraced the new badge

By Ratman4624/6 18:47Mon Jun 24 18:47:20 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 293

It looks amazing on Dino

By Cruffers24/6 16:35Mon Jun 24 16:35:01 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 329

Money (fees, wages and agents) is the worst thing to happen in football in generations.

By Mr Happy SFC24/6 15:01Mon Jun 24 15:01:48 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 355

She did lose control. She stopped punishing Cameroon because they were having hissy fits.

By RockyBottom24/6 15:02Mon Jun 24 15:02:25 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 352

So if a whole team stops and refuses to play, how would you ref it?

Send off the whole team?

By Mr Happy SFC24/6 15:06Mon Jun 24 15:06:24 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 348

Only the ones who had already been booked. They all should have been booked. Play or get punished. If they wouldn't play, abandon the match. Then in the second half she pulled out of every decision against them after the disallowed goal.
Not saying she had it easy, but she didn't do the right thing.

Edited by Mr Happy SFC at 15:06:46 on 24th June 2019

By RobW SFC24/6 10:58Mon Jun 24 10:58:33 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 447

VAR is shite. We love football because of the emotions, which VAR kills. Can accept a wrong decision from officials, it happens, players & management make more mistakes than officials do.

By Freemo23/6 22:35Sun Jun 23 22:35:29 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 589

I can't be arsed with VAR, as I feel if you get a bad decision you can stop moaning and bloody well get on with it, life isn't fair, it's just a game, if it's worth £100 million then go after the thick idiots who made it worth £100 million in the first place.

However sports where there's a lot less moaning do have it as well so what do I know.

By Sev23/6 21:15Sun Jun 23 21:15:52 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 636

I don't like VAR and think they should bin it off.

That Cameroon display was astonishing. And the officials were awful.

Incredible tv, terrible football.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Ratman4624/6 08:26Mon Jun 24 08:26:19 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 468

I think it should stay but only for key decisions that are facts like offside and red card challenges (even tho she bottled that yesterday twice), penalties are the refs opinion. Its being used for too many things at the moment and slowing it down too much.

Edited by Ratman46 at 08:26:53 on 24th June 2019

By AgentEves24/6 18:03Mon Jun 24 18:03:51 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 304

I agree. Only for major decisions which were clearly incorrect, or for cut and dry decisions (like offside).

By Sev24/6 19:20Mon Jun 24 19:20:14 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 281

I thought it was meant for clear and obvious mistake.

Some of the offside given because they are 1cm offside is not clear and obvious to me.

For those not aware, in cricket when it's close they say its "umpire's call" which basically means whatever the umpires original decision was should stand. They should have something like that in football. When it's so close that it's impossible for the linesman to tell one way or another it should be their call.

But that opens another can of worms

So all in all I just dont think it can work in football. There are too many different scenarios.

I'm happy with goal line technology but not VAR.

By AgentEves24/6 19:58Mon Jun 24 19:58:35 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 293

I think what you've described is what it was meant to be, and hopefully what it will become. Unfortunately, due to the lack of communication (unlike, say NFL, where the mic'd up referee will literally say "after reviewing the play, blah blah blah, the ruling on the field stands/is overturned." it isn't obvious that's what's happening.

A lot of the time when the referee reviews the play, and then keeps the original decision, it looks like the referee has reviewed the tape and concluded "yes that was a penalty" or "no, that wasn't a penalty". What I think is actually happening is that the referee is reviewing the DECISION made on the field. I.E. They are reviewing the tape to see if they made the wrong decision. If the video is inconclusive, they keep the ruling on the field. It isn't necessarily that they watch the video and think "yes, that's definitely a penalty" its more "I haven't definitely made a wrong call, it could go either way, so we'll stick with the original call."

I think they way they signal it, using only hand gestures, makes it a little confusing as to what they have decided. It would be helpful if the referee could declare one of the following:

1. I have reviewed the play and the ruling on the field stands.
2. I have reviewed the play and the ruling on the field has been overturned.

At the moment it looks like "I have reviewed the play and I think it was a penalty/wasn't a penalty/whatever".

I think if the referee makes a call, and the VARs watch the replay and it's clearly an incorrect decision, then they should request that the referee review it. However, I think at the moment, the VARs are just flagging everything that "could" be wrong, and asking the referee to review it. It's like they're trying to make the game perfect, rather than using VAR for what it should be for, which is to overturn very obviously incorrect calls.

The best example I can think of is Henry's handball against Ireland. VAR would have caught that and it would have been reviewed, with the goal then disallowed. That would be good use of VAR. The USA v Spain game today, where the second penalty for the US was reviewed, that should never have been reviewed because the replays weren't conclusive. That was a waste of time.

Edited by AgentEves at 20:04:16 on 24th June 2019

By Old Town Boro (SFC Interviews)23/6 21:19Sun Jun 23 21:19:58 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 609

Cameroon girls clearly forgot what Sport they were playing too, one of the worst displays of behavior in a very long time from one country/club.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Ratman4624/6 08:28Mon Jun 24 08:28:23 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 453

The mens team where like it in the 80's early 90's.

By Old Town Boro (SFC Interviews)23/6 21:17Sun Jun 23 21:17:09 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 619

Can't argue that to be fair as much as i'm a fan of VAR if its done correctly. In terms of the entertainment itself though it was tv gold!

Edited by SFC Interviews at 21:18:36 on 23rd June 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Gitts n Grattz23/6 20:48Sun Jun 23 20:48:53 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 636

Was there a game today? I was watching Pakistan vs South Africa.

By Mr Happy SFC23/6 20:45Sun Jun 23 20:45:03 2019In response to VARTop of thread

Views: 646

Pretty much agree with all of that.

What is this whereby linespeople wait an age before flagging an offside? Also, what is the definition of interfering with play? It's too subjective at the moment.

By Roland Rimbs (BD)23/6 21:09Sun Jun 23 21:09:48 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 614

I hate the new rule where the lino has to wait for the move to be over until they flag for offside. I'm sure there must he a good reason...

As for VAR. As bloody annoying as it has been, it's getting key decisions in games correct so who can really argue. Cameroon were totally classless today.

Edited by BD at 21:10:10 on 23rd June 2019

By RockyBottom24/6 15:01Mon Jun 24 15:01:31 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 333

It's not always getting them correct. Some of them still come down to human interpretation.

By Old Town Boro (SFC Interviews)23/6 21:12Sun Jun 23 21:12:51 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 613

Not sure they got all of them correct though, in my opinion we should have had 3 more calls go for us, the penalty and both red card incidents, so can't even say it was largely correct, the elbow was nasty and the foul on Steph Houghton at the end was just pure classless as well as needless at that time of the game.

Edited by SFC Interviews at 21:14:59 on 23rd June 2019

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Old Town Boro (SFC Interviews)23/6 21:06Sun Jun 23 21:06:59 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 616

Honestly I don't know they have to be sure though i guess, as for the interfering with play thing it was obvious that Duggan wasn't interfering with play the ball wasn't going in her direction if it went to her first and she passed it across then fair enough but it went direct to White bypassing her so therefore the call was correct. They have to check who's feet the ball ends up at and because it was a direct pass through to White who was through on goal it was rightly given if she missed and Duggan put in the rebound then it would have gone to offside but thats a new passage of play altogether.

Edited by SFC Interviews at 21:23:02 on 23rd June 2019
Edited by SFC Interviews at 21:23:41 on 23rd June 2019

By Mr Happy SFC23/6 22:03Sun Jun 23 22:03:47 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 570

I agree, but did you see that German goal against Nigeria allowed though an attacker was in an offside position just in front of the keeper. It needs clarifying.

By AgentEves24/6 18:07Mon Jun 24 18:07:15 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 305

I think it should be pretty obvious if a player is interfering with play. If the play is in the middle, and a player is in the middle and offside, they're interfering with play, even if they don't touch the ball, because they need to be marked/defenders need to be aware of them. A player standing out on the left wing when the ball gets played down the right clearly is in no way interfering with play. If the cross then goes across the box and that player scores, as long as they are not offside for the cross/goal, then it's fine.

I don't know how they've managed to make what should be a very simple rule so complicated.

By RockyBottom25/6 06:20Tue Jun 25 06:20:39 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 254

I always thought if you were on the pitch you were interfering with play, if not you probably shouldn't be out there!

By Mr Happy SFC24/6 19:18Mon Jun 24 19:18:34 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 287

Aye, it should be simple, but if they are standing by that interpretation, we need clarification as to what constitutes interfering.

By Paulio25/6 13:19Tue Jun 25 13:19:08 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 209

Touchies?

By Old_man24/6 07:45Mon Jun 24 07:45:29 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 463

Why not just keep it simple, any player forward of the defense should be deemed offside irrespective of their interfering or not with the play.

You can argue that it is unfair if the player concerned is 50ft from the ball but at least it would be simple to understand and judge.

By Ratman4624/6 08:23Mon Jun 24 08:23:23 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 447

The original rule back then.

They changed so they'd be more goals as people used to moan that being 30 yards from the play having zero impact on the play wasn't right and the benefit of doubt went to the attacking team, VAR has removed that so there is no doubt in offside now. Prefer it this way personally.

By Mr Happy SFC24/6 08:28Mon Jun 24 08:28:02 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 450

Unfortunately there is still doubt about whether a player is interfering or not. I just think there needs to be better guidelines.

By Ratman4624/6 08:29Mon Jun 24 08:29:19 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 454

In front of the keeper is interfering as you're in theory impeding their view, being 20 yards to the side isn't.

By Mr Happy SFC24/6 09:32Mon Jun 24 09:32:14 2019In response to Re: VARTop of thread

Views: 450

You would think so, wouldn't you, but apparently this was not interfering with play.

/www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2019/06/22/germany-vs-nigeria-world-cup-2019-round-16-live-score-latest/

Previous thread: Dino's Now on Twitter by Ratman4627/6 09:15Thu Jun 27 09:15:09 2019view thread