ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa by PatToday 14:43Today at 14:43:33view thread

Oldest article: Another coach goes... by RockyBottom10/5 17:15Fri May 10 17:15:54 20191 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: SA Membership Update by SA Administrator6/7 09:52Sat Jul 6 09:52:52 2019view thread

Dino appoints new coaches

By Mercury 884/7 17:12Thu Jul 4 17:12:10 2019

Views: 1370

David Oldfield

Mark Sampson

Very pleased to hear that Oldfield will be helping out.

reply to this article | return to the front page

8 people like this 8 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

Re: Dino appoints new coaches

By Rotterdamboro4/7 22:32Thu Jul 4 22:32:22 2019In response to Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 811

I used to watch David Oldfield play for Leicester. That makes me feel old. Standing behind the goal at Filbert Street. Happy days

By AgentEves4/7 21:02Thu Jul 4 21:02:54 2019In response to Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 946

Wow. Mark Sampson is an excellent appointment. From a tactical perspective, he really really impressed me when managing the England Women's team. His man management was brought into question (allegations of racism and bullying, if I remember correctly), which is why he had to leave his post as England manager, so hopefully that isn't an issue. This could be a huge coup for the club.

9 people like this 9 people   

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)4/7 23:22Thu Jul 4 23:22:55 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 759

The thing with Sampson is, all of the England squad seemed to support him, irrespective of their colour. One high profile complaint seemed to be his undoing. Those that follow me on twitter (@StevieWonder) know I’m a bit of a snowflake, but I was never convinced with this racist tag, that seemed to get traction with a Guardian hate campaign. It also says a lot that a north African is happy to work with him at Stevenage.

8 people like this 8 people   

By AgentEves5/7 16:45Fri Jul 5 16:45:40 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 451

"One high profile complaint seemed to be his undoing." - Yep. And if it's the person I think you're referring to, it just seemed like sour grapes, to me.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)5/7 16:53Fri Jul 5 16:53:19 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 452

Yes.

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)5/7 18:08Fri Jul 5 18:08:58 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 411

Case was settled anyway, although there was another civil case I think, related to a misjudged attempt at humour?

I'd hope he's learnt and is better for it. Got to trust Dinos judgement of his character at the end of the day.

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)5/7 19:49Fri Jul 5 19:49:50 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 392

I loved the fact that Keith Boanas gave him pelters for shagging a player Sampson was managing, when Boanas was married to his own goalkeeper.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))5/7 11:12Fri Jul 5 11:12:03 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 598

He went for 're-education' with Kick it Out and ate a lot of humble pie. Reports suggested it was attempts at 'humorous' banter. I know nothing more about the guy - I guess it was a case of being a stupid cunt rather than out and out racist. Hope so

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)5/7 15:03Fri Jul 5 15:03:25 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 493

That’s sort of my conclusion too.

By SFCfox5/7 00:18Fri Jul 5 00:18:10 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 697

Yep, pretty much agree. Your last line hits the nail on the head.

To have Mark Sampson as a coach is a real coup.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Boromatt4/7 18:56Thu Jul 4 18:56:26 2019In response to Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 1040

I think both are excellent appointments. Oldfield has managed some big EFL clubs and played at a high level. Sampson has coached and managed the elite in women’s football. I understand people’s frustrations about the Sampson appointment due to what’s happened recently etc. The way I look at it is this, we don’t know the ins and out of what really happened. Even if Sampson did do something by accident which he didn’t realise at the time, we all make mistakes, we’re only human. It’s nice his got another chance.

9 people like this 9 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Mercury 884/7 19:22Thu Jul 4 19:22:24 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 997

Very good news this week with both signings and the coaches appointed especially Oldfield.

Sampson I can't comment on as I don't know much about him.

I must say we have added some good players to the already a good squad and believe we now do have a high a chance of achieving a top 3 finish.

With Oldfield coming in for this season I believe we will stick to the 3 - 5 - 2 formation as that seemed to have worked miracles for us last season and with the current team I feel they can adapat to that and deliver some decent attacking football this season.

I Haven't been this excited for a season since our first league 2 season .

Edited by Mercury 88 at 19:29:09 on 4th July 2019

4 people like this 4 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Roland Rimbs (BD)4/7 23:16Thu Jul 4 23:16:23 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 686

We were playing 3-4-3 at the end of the season. 3-5-2 was attempted earlier one. Last few games generally was

Farman
TVC Cuthbert Nuge
Wildin Timlin Iontton Martin
Sonupe Chair
Guthrie

Replace Timlin, Martin, Sonupe and Chair with Digby, Stokes, Kennedy and Carter.
I'm not sure where Newton fits into it.

By Ratman464/7 22:25Thu Jul 4 22:25:06 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 735

Nothing to do with the other 10 players on the pitch, formation or coaches.

Was all about Chair, one man team 🤔.......

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Sev4/7 19:39Thu Jul 4 19:39:18 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 937

I can't comment on any players or coaches we sign as I dont know any of them.

Only after I've seen them play (10 minutes) can I start to form an opinion.

Amazes me how everyone knows how good the players we sign are. How do they get to watch them if they're watching Stevenage every week. Not exactly like they're in the tv a lot.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)4/7 20:03Thu Jul 4 20:03:51 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 876

I've already declared we'll finish top 3.

By Mercury 884/7 19:43Thu Jul 4 19:43:23 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 936

Right your entitled to your opinion but don't think there is a need to take it with what appears to be a attitude problem against someone's opnion who was only saying POSITIVE things and no their not in the TV lot because all that matters these days is the top flight league.

Edited by Mercury 88 at 19:44:40 on 4th July 2019

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Dave (daveadkins)4/7 20:41Thu Jul 4 20:41:10 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 827

Are you being sensitive again?

3 people dislike this 3 people

By Mercury 884/7 21:17Thu Jul 4 21:17:13 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 793

Nope. Just misjudged his opinion.

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Sev4/7 21:42Thu Jul 4 21:42:38 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 748

Having re read it I can see why, I could have phrased it better.

By Sev4/7 19:45Thu Jul 4 19:45:24 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 884

I wasn't having a go!

I was being sincere and talking about my lack of football knowledge not criticising other people's good knowledge of players.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/7 20:02Thu Jul 4 20:02:46 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 840

I don’t have much of a life. I watch a lot. I read a lot. I pay a tenner a month for wyscout which gives me all sorts of stats and stuff. I get a fair enough of an opinion. It could always be wrong.

And no I don’t have friends 😂

Edited by Donnelly at 20:03:00 on 4th July 2019

3 people like this 3 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Sev4/7 20:08Thu Jul 4 20:08:49 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 835

At least you're not out stabbing people.

Impressive commitment.

Edited by Sev at 20:09:02 on 4th July 2019

4 people like this 4 people   

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/7 20:07Thu Jul 4 20:07:50 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 839

Under Oldfield was the best we played all season last six games, has an opinion, Dino said he works well with him and the players team spirit and play improved since he played there

Mark Sampson. Controversy aside which was never proved and still heavily debated. Great style he tried to enforce with England. He’s part of the reason they are as good as they are. That team loved him bar the obvious one or two. He always came across well. Bit of a coup that one

Having two coaches that wants to be/could be managers always good.

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/7 20:09Thu Jul 4 20:09:43 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 834

I just messaged Sampson saying good luck and welcome

Thought I would share he’s reply

“Thank you.
I am absolutely honoured and privileged to become part of such a fantastic football club.
I will do everything I possibly can to help the Gaffa and the players make the supporters proud and get us promotion.
Thank you for your support it means the world to me and my family after a tough couple of years.
Look forward to meeting at a game.
Best.
Mark”

5 people like this 5 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By Mercury 884/7 19:47Thu Jul 4 19:47:31 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 876

On a serious note what do you think of our chances are of promotion this season ?

Edited by Mercury 88 at 19:48:28 on 4th July 2019

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/7 20:17Thu Jul 4 20:17:21 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 825

Tbh it’s hard to know where to put us. Everyone at the club says promotion but is that by us being optimistic and being the underdog as we’ve done before. Or should we all expect to be in that top 7

Does Dino fail if we finish 8th? Ordinarily that would be very good

I expect to compete. Apart from that I’m here to enjoy the ride

By Ratman464/7 22:32Thu Jul 4 22:32:16 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 692

Happy with top 10 and pissing off plenty of clubs moaning about us being Stevenage.

By Sev4/7 20:23Thu Jul 4 20:23:40 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 806

I dont know I'd say it was Dino who failed if we finished 8th. Just a failure of achieving expectations.

Certainly wouldn't automatically mean we needed a new manager. That depends on other things. Say we play great football that everyone is entertained by and positive about but then finish 10th. Be a good argument to give him more time. (Just as an example).

But yes I'm always very optimistic before the season starts.

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/7 20:31Thu Jul 4 20:31:47 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 806

It’s the most excited I’ve been for a season In a long time and I’m generally positive

Some great signings so far and from the sounds of it. 5 if not more to come

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Sev4/7 20:10Thu Jul 4 20:10:41 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 826

Better than last year.

Those who know stuff seem to rate the new signings so that's promising.

Weve kept a core of last years side for a change which is another positive.

So I'm optimistic about out chances. I would be expecting playoffs this season and anything less will be considered a failure I think. (But for unforeseen circumstances that might arise)

By Freemo4/7 21:35Thu Jul 4 21:35:54 2019In response to Re: Dino appoints new coaches Top of thread

Views: 743

I think it's too soon to expect playoff contention as lots of bodies in through the door may take time to gel. I think results elsewhere inflated our finishing position last season, I'd settle for top ten with improvements to performances.

Not exactly chuffed about Sampson but Dino has acknowledged the past issues and essentially vouched for him, so we'll see.

Previous thread: Forest Greens New Kit by AndyC5/7 13:49Fri Jul 5 13:49:25 2019view thread