ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Sports Psychologists by PeteToday 21:19Today at 21:19:56view thread

Oldest article: Luke Amos by scaz_QPR27/6 15:33Thu Jun 27 15:33:39 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: On the right track by Boromatt10/8 21:32Sat Aug 10 21:32:49 2019view thread

How are we playing?

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)10/8 15:15Sat Aug 10 15:15:59 2019

Views: 914

Keep me updated please. I'm on me hols.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: How are we playing?

By Puds (Chuds)10/8 21:46Sat Aug 10 21:46:57 2019In response to How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 318

It was a big improvement on last week. Granted, it was almost impossible not to be as last week was so bad, but a (small) step in the right direction. Should have got a point today.

It is going exactly as I predicted before the season started, I said we would be solid at the back but create very little, and would see lots of low-scoring games (I hoped/expected our performances would be more impressive, mind). We look solid at the back, today had 0-0 all over it bar a mistake or moment of magic, and we were never troubled. It was two wholly average sides with no creativity. Then Nicky Law curls in a beauty from outside the area to give them the win. But we do not even look like scoring. One shot on target in two games is that? Today we pissed around with the ball with little passes around the box, knocking it sideways and backwards, but we do not shoot, we do not cross, we only have one man in the box almost every attack. Awful in the final third and awful in midfield. It has been years since we had anything in midfield, it never gets fixed.

The line-ups, formations and the substitutions thus far have been very puzzling. At Salford for instance, we were expecting four at the back to give some extra solidity in a tough away game, but we went with a three and a young LWB who hadn't played in pre-season making his debut, who got torn to pieces and targeted every time they attacked. It was so obvious, yet we didn't adapt to it and sure enough their opener came from that exact thing. Then there was the strange position Newton came on to play in etc.

Then today when we can go and attack the game at home, we decide to go with four at the back (despite going with three all pre-season). Husin and Soares were the only ones in midfield to do anything and they both came off. Husin was our only attacking threat from midfield and looked a danger, and Soares was brilliant again in front of the back four. And yet Sonupe and Iontton both stay on and play yet another 90 minutes?! I am sure they are two nice guys who work hard, and are young and could both have good careers in front of them, but they are anonymous almost every time they play. I honestly do not know what Iontton does. Been watching him for 6-9 months and he just jogs around avoiding the ball. If the ball finds him, he gives it away more often than not. I just do not know how he starts and plays every game, he is simply not up to it yet. When we needed some creativity and attacking intent, why did Parrett come on and play so deep? Sat in front of the back four? Totally wasted there, he needs to drive forward with the ball, attacking their area. And why has Carter not had any action? Finally, why did Cowley come on and play wide on the right? He needs to be in the middle.

Some very strange decisions on display so far, and two very disappointing performances to match.

Fortunately we could hardly ask for a better fixture on Tuesday. Southend are a truly awful side, who will get relegated this season, and who gift goals. Yet they are favourites to win and have the pressure and expectation on them. The ideal chance for us to go at them from the off, get an early goal to get some belief into the team and fans, and get ourselves a very important confidence-boosting victory to take into the league campaign.

7 people like this 7 people   

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)11/8 10:46Sun Aug 11 10:46:28 2019In response to Re: How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 185

Disagree on Soares. He's disappointed me, expected him to be able to hold the midfield together better, and with his experience put his foot on the ball and get us moving forward with the right pass.

He treats it like a hot potato same as the rest.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Sev10/8 22:19Sat Aug 10 22:19:56 2019In response to Re: How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 267

We haven't got the right players that's why they're all out of position.

We have 4 or 5 good forwards but only 1 or 2 places for them.

We have two winger positions but no wingers so have to fill them with strikers.

We have 5 central midfielders but only 2 places so we play them all over the place or not at all.

We have recruited good players but not for the right positions!

I'm sure we will settle into something resembling a balanced side where everyone is playing in a position they're good at but we haven't found it yet.

Edited by Sev at 22:20:38 on 10th August 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Stevenageminister10/8 17:36Sat Aug 10 17:36:54 2019In response to How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 522

Shit

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

Losing 1-0

By tosspot10/8 16:48Sat Aug 10 16:48:17 2019In response to How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 723

No text

Re: Losing 1-0

By RockyBottom10/8 16:51Sat Aug 10 16:51:52 2019In response to Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 681

Looking at the start you have to wonder where the first points/ goals are coming from.

By PotHole8910/8 17:12Sat Aug 10 17:12:05 2019In response to Re: Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 598

Today’s result was a bitter pill to swallow. Don’t think we deserved to lose the game, but I don’t think we did enough to win - a draw would have been a fair result.

Iontton is not good enough to be starting IMO, too weak and we lose the midfield battle. Thought Husin should have stayed on for a bit longer.

Taylor looked our only bright spark. Snoops was poor and lucky that we don’t have any wingers to replace him.

Thought the back 4 were solid enough, unfortunate goal to concede but Law took it well.

We need to bring in a wide player or two to give us options.

Onto Leyton Orient where we never do well - onwards and upwards.

By SFA10/8 17:36Sat Aug 10 17:36:24 2019In response to Re: Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 498

Agree with most of this, although I actually thought Iontton had a pretty good game - better than usual anyway.

By SFCfox10/8 17:02Sat Aug 10 17:02:02 2019In response to Re: Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 625

We need Nuge back ASAP. The back 5 from last season needs to be a thing again.

How Sonupe and Ionnton last 90 minutes is baffling!

By Sev10/8 17:53Sat Aug 10 17:53:18 2019In response to Re: Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 457

Defence was OK today. No criticism of them.

I'd be surprise if Iontton and Sonupe start the next league game. Probably wouldnt be actually.

Now I've seen us properly (couldn't tell at Salford) I know who I would play I think.

Farman
Wildin Vancooten Cuthbert Stokes
Soares
Parrett Carter/Husin
Taylor Guthrie Newton

Edited by Sev at 17:53:31 on 10th August 2019

2 people like this 2 people   

By Stevenageminister10/8 17:06Sat Aug 10 17:06:27 2019In response to Re: Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 608

How any of them do is more baffling. Going absolutely nowhere with this team cant score cant create cant get behind defences just terrible.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Mercury 8810/8 16:57Sat Aug 10 16:57:16 2019In response to Re: Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 648

Doubt if we were playing weaker teams,that it would make a difference to this poor start.

2 people like this 2 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By RockyBottom10/8 17:34Sat Aug 10 17:34:43 2019In response to Re: Losing 1-0Top of thread

Views: 521

Is it any wonder our argubly our brightest player over two games is the one who has been here the least amount of time.

Like I said after Salford, zero evidence of any gameplan. I'm assuming today was the same.

Edited by RockyBottom at 17:36:06 on 10th August 2019

By SFCfox10/8 15:56Sat Aug 10 15:56:18 2019In response to How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 779

Exeter are time wasting! They've clearly come for a point.

By Sev10/8 17:49Sat Aug 10 17:49:13 2019In response to Re: How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 477

And left with all 3. Stevenage love a gift.

By Sev10/8 15:55Sat Aug 10 15:55:07 2019In response to How are we playing?Top of thread

Views: 758

Ok. Taylor forced a save. No other chances.

Previous thread: Account hacked. by WASP10/8 17:37Sat Aug 10 17:37:20 2019view thread