ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Fa cup 1st round draw by TucksToday 07:21Today at 07:21:36view thread

Oldest article: Q&A time by Boromatt14/8 11:46Wed Aug 14 11:46:01 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Team News by Ratman4617/9 18:53Tue Sep 17 18:53:51 2019view thread

Clapping

By SFA17/9 22:08Tue Sep 17 22:08:01 2019

Views: 1015

Can anybody who clapped the players off at the end tonight tell me why? (Genuine question)

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people dislike this 5 people

Re: Clapping

By Boromatt18/9 10:32Wed Sep 18 10:32:49 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 280

Oh it just sounded like it was a dig at the people that were clapping! 🙈 I clapped the players because I thought they tried hard, things just didn't come together. What I won't clap is when players don't give 100%. But every single one of our players, as they do every week, gave 100%. Things just ain't going for us at the minute.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Boromatt18/9 10:26Wed Sep 18 10:26:56 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 276

Because they've paid their money and can quite frankly do what they want as long as their not breaking the law?

By SFA18/9 10:29Wed Sep 18 10:29:25 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 255

Blimey Matt, I wasn't suggesting people can't clap if they want! I was only interested in people's reasons for doing so when we're 11 games into the season and haven't won a single game.

By Newbie_Boro18/9 09:02Wed Sep 18 09:02:33 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 317

Because spending 90 minutes telling them that they're shit doesn't help anyone. I'm sure they want to improve just as much as we want them to improve.

A bit of togetherness is a good thing

By Handyandy118/9 00:23Wed Sep 18 00:23:50 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 539

Coz they're our team and that's what we do. As long as they put in a shift, I'll show my appreciation.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)17/9 23:42Tue Sep 17 23:42:51 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 577

1. The effort and desire was there. That's why I clapped.

2. We got forward and were positive. How many corners did we win? You don't win that many if you aren't attacking and forcing clearances. On another day we'd have scored a brace and all be smiling now. We just snatched at chances and made the wrong decision in the final third. Once we get the monkey off our back, and it will happen, we'll be fine.

But we do need to wise up....

On the downside was despite the baffling tactic of hoofing it long to (short) List and dropping Guthrie deep to make sure we never won a header in the final third. Naive tactically

We didn't play the ref, Northampton 'won' countless free kicks, we need to be as clever once we know how easily they were being given and won more ourselves. Naive tactically

Their goal came from a simple counter and a striker getting across Watts too easily, he was outmuscled and beaten far too often, should have replaced him with Abd once it became clear they were going to lump it. That goal wouldn't have been scored with Nugent or an old school CB out there. Naive tactically.

On the plus side Timlin has been at the last two games, is a battling CDM something we need. I think so. Is he the answer? I'll reserve judgment.

I genuinely think we'll be fine, the squad is good enough - can't say yet whether the gaffer is, it's a long season and he's only had two games.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 23:43:26 on 17th September 2019

By AgentEves18/9 00:26Wed Sep 18 00:26:45 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 519

I disagree about dropping Guthrie short - I think if he is deeper, he can potentially bring the ball down and bring others into play. Unfortunately, too many of our defenders just keep whacking it long. Additionally, I don't think the midfield are offering them anything, so they inevitably have to go long.

From what I've seen:

Farman - looks solid enough.

Wildin - dreadful. I wouldn't mind if he was good going forward, but he isn't. The only thing I can see that he offers is his energy getting forward, but it's too bad he can't offer the same energy when getting back, and seemingly can't make good decisions about when he should bomb forward and how much. That, though, stops with the manager. If he's out of position, the manager has to tell him, and if he doesn't listen/can't improve, then he gets dropped for someone (anyone) who can. He doesn't offer enough going forward to make up for his lack of defending.

Cuthbert - was very good tonight, but can't do it all on his own.

Watts - clearly has potential, but doesn't seem strong enough or good enough in the air. He seems prone to errors, but that's inevitable for someone who's so young and probably keen to impress. One of the worst culprits for whacking it long, at least he was tonight.

Husin - I don't mind him, but I think he needs to play alongside someone else who's defensive who offers a little more energy. He needs a proper combative midfielder alongside him.

Carter - I don't think central midfield in a 2 is his best position, so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen more.

Kennedy - clearly our most creative player and everything seems to go through him. Personally, I think he needs to be more central, at least until we can get someone in the middle who actually seems to be able to create something (anything?)

Newton - not a winger, which is infuriating because he's clearly a better striker than List. Is completely anonymous on the wing and is a complete waste of one of, in my opinion, better players.

List - toilet. He seems lively enough, but between getting the ball stuck under his feet, misplacing passes and running straight into defenders, I'm not entirely sure why he's getting the nod up front ahead of Newton and Cowley.

Guthrie - looks good to me, but clearly frustrated that he seems to be one of the only competent players actually being used in a position where he is most effective.

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)18/9 09:08Wed Sep 18 09:08:16 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 288

You're right about Guthrie getting more involved by dropping deeper, he is better with the ball to chest or feet. My point was if we are going to hoof it we need our big striker to give us a chance of winning the headers, then the knock downs.

And if we are going to rely on a high energy press, don't expect Guthrie to dot it. It's not his strongest point. Taylor, Newton and Cowley will do it all day like Beardsley used to.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Puds (Chuds)18/9 00:09Wed Sep 18 00:09:44 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 537

You are the only one alongside me I have seen who is not suicidal tonight!

It wasn't good (first half was fine, we were better than them, solid and comfortable and created more, such as Carter's header which has to go in), but equally nowhere near as bad as most would have you believe.

I am confident of picking something up on Satdi.

By AndyC18/9 07:33Wed Sep 18 07:33:05 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 387

There's always a chance of picking something up in the rural West Country

Like Foot and Mouth

By Deltic 2118/9 08:17Wed Sep 18 08:17:20 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 333

I don’t think there’ll be 3 points, certainly.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By peanut17/9 23:52Tue Sep 17 23:52:49 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 529

"We didn't play the ref, Northampton 'won' countless free kicks, we need to be as clever once we know how easily they were being given and won more ourselves. Naive tactically"

I definitely agree with this point, we play like a school team against men. We used to be the masters of bending the rules to our benefit and now we let other teams push us around, win easy free kicks, waste time and play the referee. Apart from Cuthbert there are currently zero leaders, i don't care what Guthrie says in his pre-match interview, on the pitch I watched him pull out of at least 3 challenges and countless aerial duals and, worryingly, he's one of the better ones.

Somebody mentioned it the other week but we seem to have no proper wingers apart from Sonupe, and i have my doubts about him, and List, who has been stuck up front. Our squad is huge but so unbalanced, we have loads of centre backs and strikers, but no defensive midfielders or wingers...how does this happen in a club with a Chief Scout, manager and board members all seemingly involved in buying players...?

Tonight was a big turning point in my mind where we went from just having a bad start to being in trouble. Our squad is easily good enough for the top half of the league but we desperately need someone experienced and with a clear way of playing in charge. I'm not worried yet because it's still September and the majority of the teams in this league are dreadful, but Sampson isn't the solution, particularly with all the negative baggage his appointment has already brought.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By AndyC18/9 06:39Wed Sep 18 06:39:51 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 463

No squad is 'good enough' for anything. It's as good as the points on the board and this squad is good enough for 0.3 points per game. We're going to get 15 points by the end of the season unless something changes. There have been so many 'too good to go down' teams who go down

By Owen18/9 07:13Wed Sep 18 07:13:57 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 408

To be fair, gaining 15 points over the course of a 46 game season would surely be some kind of record. #medalwinners

By Deltic 2118/9 08:19Wed Sep 18 08:19:32 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 326

Yes, it’s good to have a goal. (And indeed, it WOULD be good to have a goal... and a win!).

By Telboy18/9 08:02Wed Sep 18 08:02:55 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 341

Boro’s fortunes will change for the better.

If we had a spell of 10 games without a win mid season we would be frustrated but not as het up and concerned as we are now.

As A few on here keep saying we will not go down but forget the playoffs.

By Pete (PeteH)18/9 08:04Wed Sep 18 08:04:23 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 343

Boro’s fortunes will change for the better.

On what evidence though? The longer the rut goes on, the harder it is to get out.

Can't see us getting anything at FGR.

By Puds (Chuds)18/9 11:10Wed Sep 18 11:10:23 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 223

1-0 win.

By Telboy18/9 08:20Wed Sep 18 08:20:35 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 337

A new manager brings changes which is exactly what is needed but would be bonkers to initiate all of his ideas in one go. If the set up is the same then we would be driving down a dead end but it’s not. That in itself is refreshing. The new manager has to settle in to his new role and sweep clean all of the cobwebs left behind by Dino. If Dino has been drumming into the players a certain way of approaching a game, which has not been successful, then MS has to undo all of this to move forward. It will take a few more games to sort out.

FGR will be a draw then onwards and upwards.

COYB

By the way I live in hope😊

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Sev18/9 13:38Wed Sep 18 13:38:38 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 170

I would agree with that when it's an external manager coming in, but surely the first team coach had some input and wouldn't have just been doing what Dino wanted if it was 100% the opposite to what MS wanted.

My worry is there hasn't been enough change to make a difference. It's the same players, the same coaches, and on the limited evidence of two games, the same approach and same result.

Of course if Wallace's intention was to give MS time then it'd be stupid to change that intent after two games, but if MS was simply a caretaker like Robbo when Westley left then let's appoint someone sooner rather than later.

Edited by Sev at 13:39:24 on 18th September 2019

4 people like this 4 people   

By Telboy18/9 16:32Wed Sep 18 16:32:10 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 164

Very good points Sev.

This is the angle I’m trying to come from. When MS was in his previous role he would have needed to buy in to what ever Dino was trying to achieve. He could not be seen to be pulling any other way. He may not have been able to express himself fully.

We should give him the benefit of the doubt, which is only fair, whether caretaker or long term manager.

Either way it will take more than a couple of games to get right.

COYB.

By Borobubbles17/9 22:48Tue Sep 17 22:48:02 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 677

I thought Boro was the better side tonight and Northampton was shit. In my view the last 2 games we deserved something out of them. You got to win your home games but we are failing to do so. The next 3 games are going to be hard.

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)17/9 22:37Tue Sep 17 22:37:30 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 738

To counter the embarrassing cunts who boo every week

9 people like this 9 people   

By Puds (Chuds)18/9 00:11Wed Sep 18 00:11:59 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 515

YES AD!

By Bork17/9 23:04Tue Sep 17 23:04:45 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 610

I thoroughly approve of this post.

By Bork17/9 22:23Tue Sep 17 22:23:39 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 767

What should have happened, a full on mooning?

By Paulio17/9 22:44Tue Sep 17 22:44:42 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 660

Helicoptering

By Bork17/9 23:03Tue Sep 17 23:03:45 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 600

Might as well send WASP in windmilling.

By Copeysaurus17/9 22:10Tue Sep 17 22:10:35 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 834

Coz its cool

By SFCfox17/9 22:09Tue Sep 17 22:09:49 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 827

I clap when they show effort and put in a shift, which they did regardless of the result.

5 people like this 5 people   

By Paulio17/9 22:08Tue Sep 17 22:08:28 2019In response to ClappingTop of thread

Views: 845

Think Culbert got clapped. That’s about it.

By Junction 717/9 23:16Tue Sep 17 23:16:58 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 589

Nice of you to walk me home 💚

By Paulio18/9 10:04Wed Sep 18 10:04:20 2019In response to Re: ClappingTop of thread

Views: 255

Didn’t want you getting jumped by Iontton.

Previous thread: "On loan to the National League" t-shirt by Westley is God18/9 12:56Wed Sep 18 12:56:51 2019view thread