ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Lookie Likee #7 by Roulette LenYesterday 22:57Yesterday at 22:57:58view thread

Oldest article: Q&A time by Boromatt14/8 11:46Wed Aug 14 11:46:01 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Timlin by Copeysaurus20/9 09:15Fri Sep 20 09:15:05 2019view thread

Observation

By Boromatt18/9 09:54Wed Sep 18 09:54:53 2019

Views: 1020

Gutted with another loss last night. Just a few observations that I took from last nights loss and what I think is going against us right now.

1. In League Two, there will always be a period when the team turns it on and start to get on top. Then there will be a period of the game when the team is under the cosh. When were on top in a period of the game, we're not taking our chances. I've worked out we've only scored 5 goals in good periods over 11 matches. The goal against Southend, the two goals against Macclesfield and the two against Cheltenham. However, when other teams are going through good periods against us we are always conceding a silly goal. Every single match we've conceded in to be exact.

2. There is a Twitter page that Mark told us boys at the podcast to go and have a look at, it's called "Footy Analytics for Coaches". It shows how we were trying to play against Carlisle and we did it again last night. It shows that we are trying to create diamond formations all over the pitch when we play to counter and catch the other team. That's why last night we were looking to play out from the back a lot, playing football between the lines etc. Its a style of play that will work over time, however, is really effective.

3. My only worry is we have wasted 9 matches, 27 points to be exact. After Saturday and we don't know the results yet, but if you told me that in order to get to 50 points we'd need 16 wins from 36, that's nearly half! In order to see the team in the top half of the table we'd need to win over half of our matches.

However, I do believe Mark is the right man for the job. The camaraderie between himself, Revs and the players is brilliant. His shown the players a real love and care behind the scenes and these players will return the favour. In his previous jobs his had a similar experience in taking over sides who are struggling and has turned them into cup winners, Champions League contenders, European cup contenders, just another project for the man to work hard on and improve.

Onto Saturday.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: Observation

By Jonnym819/9 21:56Thu Sep 19 21:56:41 2019In response to ObservationTop of thread

Views: 258

I remember in the old days when playing between the lines was generally known as ‘finding space’. It is possible for a team to play both long and play out from back. It doesn’t matter how good a defender is at playing out from the back, if the movement, vision and quality of players in front is not very good.
When you need to go long, go long. When there is a good option to move the ball short, move it short. It’s the decision making of the players that is generally poor. Luther and Husin put in two of the worst performances I’ve seen in years the other night.
Play players in their proper position, stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

3 people like this 3 people   

By RockyBottom19/9 18:37Thu Sep 19 18:37:51 2019In response to ObservationTop of thread

Views: 340

The problem is as good as some of our defenders are at this level, IMO none of them look that comfortable with the ball at their feet. That's to be expected, we are are League Two side. The main problem is, as we have said for years now, we badly need pace throughout the side, especially in midfield.

Instead, we have a whole host of players that are a liability for a number of different reasons.

By Sev19/9 19:18Thu Sep 19 19:18:48 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 318

The problem is as good as some of our defenders are at this level, IMO none of them look that comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Which is why at this level I'm happy to adopt a more direct approach. I don't want to see players who aren't capable playing it around in our own box.

I dont want hoof ball but you can keep the ball on the floor without risking looking like a fool.

Play to the strengths of the players we have. Force opposition into errors and making them go long by closing them down quickly. The likes of Nugent and Cuthbert will win everything in the air.

Get the ball forward quickly then build on the floor in the opposition's half.

Protect our full backs if playing 4 at the back.

Allow our ball players to get the ball deeper and move about to create space and give them options.

Work rate counts for a lot at this level but only if it's the whole team.

For too long weve just been playing possession football, slowly passing it about and allowing the opposition to keep their shape and counter us.

By Paulio19/9 22:22Thu Sep 19 22:22:25 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 231

Yeah nothing better than seeing someone pass it across your own box to an attacking player.

By RockyBottom19/9 20:09Thu Sep 19 20:09:16 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 274

That's the main reason why need pace, so that kind of game is much more effective.

Anyone trying to play like Barca with League Two players needs a reality check.

Edited by RockyBottom at 20:10:26 on 19th September 2019

By Sev19/9 20:16Thu Sep 19 20:16:50 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 263

Correct.

Chesterlona we are not.

Why I was glad when that ex Arsenal coach we had left.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Thora18/9 10:56Wed Sep 18 10:56:10 2019In response to ObservationTop of thread

Views: 785

"That's why last night we were looking to play out from the back a lot, playing football between the lines etc."

I only remember playing out from the back for that bit where the otherwise anonymous Husin played the ball across his own box with the power of a man with a muscle wasting disease, straight to their striker who, if he wasn't a completely shit bastard who shot instantly when he didn't have to, would have put them 2-0 up.

That was a good example of why we shouldn't play out from the back because, based on what I saw last night, we're better off bypassing the midfield completely by continuing to lump it long to the sprinter we were playing up front.

By Boromatt18/9 13:44Wed Sep 18 13:44:35 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 713

I don't mind how we play, as long as the team get results. However, watching hoofball for the first 7 matches was tough. I would like to see us get the ball down and play.

2 people like this 2 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By Thora18/9 15:03Wed Sep 18 15:03:25 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 684

I agree, Matt. I'm not sure how that's relevant in the context of the thread so far, but lets work on the basis that it is...

Every player on that pitch last night was shit, so it's safest for our results if we just get one of them to kick it really hard and really high as often as possible so that the others can't get hold of it and get any ideas about trying to play the entertaining football that everyone seems to think is possible with our budget.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By East Coast Boro18/9 17:13Wed Sep 18 17:13:17 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 592

"Every player on that pitch last night was shit"

Really!

By Paulio18/9 18:45Wed Sep 18 18:45:12 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 548

Can’t say I thought anyone was good.

Highest rating i’d put down is Cuthbert at 5/10.

Farman 4
Left back 3
Centre back 4
Cuthbert 5
Wildin 3
Newton 0
Centre midfielders both 3
Kennedy 3
List 2
Guthrie 3

Edited by Paulio at 18:45:27 on 18th September 2019

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Dino Maamria's Goat. (Gaz Murray)18/9 23:29Wed Sep 18 23:29:24 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 445

Generous.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By East Coast Boro18/9 22:23Wed Sep 18 22:23:15 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 489

Just a reminder...

This IS league 2 (or Division 4 in old money)
If the players were 10/10 they would be playing in the premiershit on PayTV. Perhaps that is what you should be watching wearing an appropriate ManC/ManU/Liverpool/Arsenal/ Spurs/Chelsea/Spurs shirt on.

You Make a good wind up post though!

Edited by East Coast Boro at 22:24:34 on 18th September 2019

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)19/9 08:02Thu Sep 19 08:02:38 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 417

So Ilias Chair’s performance at Lincoln City would be worthy of 4 out of 10 because he didn’t do it against Juventus? Interesting.

By East Coast Boro19/9 17:27Thu Sep 19 17:27:22 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 345

Quite the reverse (as you well know). - I'm saying is we must remember the level these players play at. If they were 10/10 every week they would be elsewhere.

To award them just 1, 2 or 3/10 etc is frankly insulting and of course done to stir up Borochat.
You mark to the level, so on Tuesday most would be at minimum of 5 or above. Chair came from and played above our level hence would be marked higher but effort is an important factor as well as skill.

Our team tried on Saturday and Tuesday (sometimes tried too hard at times - that was the problem). To expect performance levels equal to what players on the TV premiershite can achieve is plain daft and to call our players horseshit (as some have) is downright disgusting and counter productive.
I sometimes wonder if some of the GW/Dino fan club on here (Do they go to games?) want us to fail rather than support our team through thick or thin.

I do indeed believe we won't go down, that given time MS may well be a success (only time will tell) and we are very lucky to have PW as our Chairman.
COYB

4 people like this 4 people   

By Freemo19/9 18:29Thu Sep 19 18:29:41 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 302

You say 'mark to the level' like these player's performances haven't seen us rock bottom of that same level.

You don't get any points for trying hard.

By Paulio19/9 18:12Thu Sep 19 18:12:02 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 302

No one is marking any of the players at 10/10 each week.

5/10 is average. The vast majority played below average, so that’s why they are so low.

By Pete (PeteH)19/9 19:54Thu Sep 19 19:54:46 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 268

Are The Comet still giving everyone 7/10?

By Paulio19/9 21:38Thu Sep 19 21:38:24 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 245

Wouldn’t be surprised. 8 if they score.

By Deano (deanos13)21/9 00:04Sat Sep 21 00:04:47 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 141

You have to turn up to give a rating....

By Paulio21/9 01:05Sat Sep 21 01:05:34 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 133

Doesn’t stop me 👀

By Ratman4619/9 21:41Thu Sep 19 21:41:59 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 228

Depends if they're still getting free pies

Edited by Ratman46 at 21:42:10 on 19th September 2019

By Pete (PeteH)19/9 08:57Thu Sep 19 08:57:01 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 377

No.

Because he only scored in a four-minute period. Hence 4 out of 10.

By Paulio18/9 22:54Wed Sep 18 22:54:50 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 430

I judge them on a league two performance.

By AgentEves18/9 17:03Wed Sep 18 17:03:38 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 608

So, essentially, we should be playing the style of football that Westley is so good at implementing. Interesting.

By Thora18/9 17:31Wed Sep 18 17:31:28 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 581

We should be playing a style of football that suits the players we have that fit within our budget.

I'm not saying anything about GW, just someone who understands what we need to do in the way he did.

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)18/9 16:00Wed Sep 18 16:00:25 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 642

You should come watch us more often. You'll find it calming once you've dispensed with unrealistic expectations

Last night was nowhere near as shit as much of last season, or a lot of the season before... Or the one before that.

Or the first couple of games this season.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 16:01:02 on 18th September 2019

By Puds (Chuds)18/9 18:30Wed Sep 18 18:30:56 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 534

Correct.

Edit: Sadly.

Edited by Chuds at 18:31:09 on 18th September 2019

By Thora18/9 16:50Wed Sep 18 16:50:37 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 605

Nothing unrealistic in my expectations whatsoever. I expected it to be shit. It was.

Being relatively less shit than other shittier shit isn't an accomplishment for me.

But I absolutely don't expect more anymore.

By Ratman4618/9 13:51Wed Sep 18 13:51:07 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 672

We didn't play hoofball for the first 7 games. There was some games we played it around on the deck but with zero end product.

We played last night hoofing to small striker, progress?

By Deano (deanos13)18/9 17:41Wed Sep 18 17:41:48 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 566

Agree. I dont remember reading any criticism of hoofball from Matt in the 1st 7 round ups.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Paulio18/9 09:57Wed Sep 18 09:57:02 2019In response to ObservationTop of thread

Views: 794

At what point down pumping a long ball in the air to a three foot player come into point 2?

By Boromatt18/9 10:00Wed Sep 18 10:00:51 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 772

I think there were times where we caught Northampton and hit a long ball to counter but unfortunately List was on the other end. I do agree. Id rather see Kurtis there and List out wide.

Edited by Boromatt at 10:01:12 on 18th September 2019

By Paulio18/9 10:05Wed Sep 18 10:05:59 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 770

The next lineup will show if Sampson has learned anything.

If Newton is on the wing and List up front and we go long ball, I think it’s safe to say that this experiment hasn’t worked and it’s time to look for a permanent manager.

7 people like this 7 people   

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)18/9 19:39Wed Sep 18 19:39:16 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 491

You need to cum to more games. Succinct analysis.

By Paulio18/9 23:07Wed Sep 18 23:07:48 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 410

I’ll come next month when our new manager is in.

By AgentEves18/9 17:06Wed Sep 18 17:06:56 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 575

Completely agree.

By Puds (Chuds)18/9 11:09Wed Sep 18 11:09:33 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 708

Which is why I was surprised with our starting lineup yesterday.

We created a fair bit and scored twice on Saturday, that looked fine, so not sure why he changed the options upfront like he did. Nor why Newton was on the left and List up top, swap them around.

I would have expected to keep the front options from Satdi and just add Cuthbert into the defence to make that more solid, which was Saturday's problem.

By Boromatt18/9 10:09Wed Sep 18 10:09:17 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 739

I do agree to some degree, I would like to see an understanding of what didn't work last night. However, it's only been one week and his trying to inflict a style of play into the team, it will take a little to see the rewards of that.

By Paulio18/9 10:18Wed Sep 18 10:18:44 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 729

I just find it strange that when they went down to ten men we started passing on the floor and creating some good movement.

Why were they not doing that beforehand? Can we only pass against ten men? Bit worrying.

By Boromatt18/9 10:23Wed Sep 18 10:23:17 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 742

I think we tried to pass it when they had 11 on the pitch but we kept giving it away. One other thing I'd like to see us do, be a threat from set pieces. We missed a great chance from Kenners free kick last night. We've got some good players in the air, Cuthbert, Guthrie, Newts, Stokes, Watts and we haven't scored from a set piece. If goals are hard to come by which they are at the minute, set pieces are very important.

By Pete (PeteH)18/9 10:00Wed Sep 18 10:00:46 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 763

Also on Point 2, are we taking our tactics from Twitter?

By Boromatt18/9 10:02Wed Sep 18 10:02:11 2019In response to Re: ObservationTop of thread

Views: 752

I don't believe so, it was just a Twitter platform that did a piece on our tactics against Carlisle. Go and have a look it's really interesting.

Previous thread: Ian Holloway by Puds20/9 20:57Fri Sep 20 20:57:50 2019view thread