ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: You think our new logo is bad... by SevToday 22:06Today at 22:06:27view thread

Oldest article: Bury Fallout by dippers17/9 18:16Sat Sep 7 18:16:06 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: HELP: Richie Rich by Boromatt7/10 10:49Mon Oct 7 10:49:21 2019view thread

Who had genuine belief

By Westley is God (Stevo)6/10 10:35Sun Oct 6 10:35:19 2019

Views: 994

That Wallace has what it takes to get us out of the shit.

I'm really not sure his heart is in it anymore any honestly think he'll be gone within 2 years.

Just seems to be taking random shots in the dark and hoping for the best. I don't think he has a clue what to do if I'm honest.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   9 people dislike this 9 people

Re: Who had genuine belief

By Rotterdamboro6/10 15:26Sun Oct 6 15:26:48 2019In response to Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 620

Only one man can get us out of this mess....

'Dangerous' Dave Adkins

By Dave (daveadkins)6/10 16:50Sun Oct 6 16:50:10 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 530

I thank you. I've playing Football Manager and I know the club. I'll wait for Mr Wallace to call.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Paulio6/10 12:17Sun Oct 6 12:17:12 2019In response to Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 713

I don’t have faith in anyone to get us out of the shit.

We’re a non league club playing above our station. The only reason we’re in league two still is because it’s also full of non league clubs above their station.

The sooner league two and conference premier is merged into a north and south league the better.

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

By the boy jones6/10 12:13Sun Oct 6 12:13:22 2019In response to Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 762

Have a day off. There is zero evidence to suggest Wallace has lost interest. Otherwise what is his motivation for getting rid of Dino? And signing off on how any new players this year? Not to mention the new stand, training ground, CEO etc..

Everyone needs to calm the fuck down, we'll beat Grimsby next week and we won't go down. We're better than Morecambe

13 people like this 13 people   

By Borominister7/10 21:29Mon Oct 7 21:29:12 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 238

Really!!!! At least morecambe have won a game other than Bolton we only team outside premier to not win wallace hasn't a clue time to move on this clubs going nowhere with him hes had his time hand it over to somebody younger and willing and who has ambition I.e mr westley as I bloody said yesterday 😖😖

5 people dislike this 5 people

By East Coast Boro7/10 21:34Mon Oct 7 21:34:42 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 238

please take a breath ... and calm down.

Everything is going to be just fine.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Rotterdamboro7/10 15:56Mon Oct 7 15:56:40 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 361

‘We’re better than Morecambe’

Fuck me. And still the deluded post. What evidence would you have that suggests ‘we’re better than Morecambe’?

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Yogi7/10 16:57Mon Oct 7 16:57:11 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 304

There is no evidence.

Turn it on it's head though, what evidence do you have that we're worse than Morecambe?

By Owen7/10 17:01Mon Oct 7 17:01:54 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 292

In fairness, we're bottom of the league.

By Yogi7/10 17:06Mon Oct 7 17:06:58 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 296

Point is, come the end of the season or later in the Season, no one knows.

I guess we might have a better idea when we actually play Morecambe.

By Deano (deanos13)7/10 17:05Mon Oct 7 17:05:56 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 294

We'll find out a fortnight Saturday........

By East Coast Boro6/10 11:48Sun Oct 6 11:48:03 2019In response to Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 714

"That Wallace has what it takes to get us out of the shit. I'm really not sure his heart is in it anymore any honestly think he'll be gone within 2 years. Just seems to be taking random shots in the dark and hoping for the best. I don't think he has a clue what to do if I'm honest."

Wasn't this posted two years ago after a bad run of results, and two before that and two before that etc etc

Edited by East Coast Boro at 12:45:16 on 6th October 2019

4 people like this 4 people   

By Deltic 216/10 15:35Sun Oct 6 15:35:48 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 530

Yes it was. Remember how he was ‘selling the club’, right up to the moment he bought a big chunk of extra shares?

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)6/10 11:38Sun Oct 6 11:38:51 2019In response to Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 720

He has made millions, he has kept the club financially stable against the odds.

I don't think he's stupid.

He hasn't got a great track record of appointments but he has kept us in the FL for what 10 years in spite of that.

He has built a fantastic training ground and established the academy, the nursery and improved the ground.

He has never seriously been criticised by the fans to the point of people wanting a change of ownership.

His frustration is that he can't grow the attendances, which limits what he can/will spend.

I don't think anyone else would do any better, we are hardly an attractive investment with our gates and profile, let alone our current struggles.

Maybe he should appoint a consultant to identify the next manager, and allow that manager to manage recruitment, retention as well as the team, if MS doesn't turn it round, but beyond that I'm happy with him at the helm.

Better the devil you know.

14 people like this 14 people   

By AgentEves7/10 17:07Mon Oct 7 17:07:24 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 300

You're right, he doesn't have a great track record, but do many Chairmen?

Look at clubs, from top to bottom of the football pyramid... they make terrible appointments all the time. How many Chairmen make consistently great managerial picks?

Liverpool have had a lot of dross between Benitez and Klopp. Man Utd are having an absolute nightmare since Fergie, with each manager seemingly worse than the last.

And then look further down... how many teams just fall off a cliff when their successful manager leaves?

I honestly think that picking managers is something of a crap shoot and that a successful appointment is more by luck than judgement.

By Jonnym87/10 20:26Mon Oct 7 20:26:21 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 267

Agree with this. There are numerous examples of where a manager ‘fits’ a club. Remove the manager and both club and manager struggle...Moyes@ Everton, Curbishley@ Charlton, Howe @Bournemouth, Westley @ Stevenage

3 people like this 3 people   

By Specky (Mike H)7/10 20:09Mon Oct 7 20:09:55 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 294

I honestly think that picking managers is something of a crap shoot and that a successful appointment is more by luck than judgement.

And when he did employ what we thought was a decent manager, said decent manager did a flit to Doncaster after 8 days.

By Ratman467/10 18:35Mon Oct 7 18:35:08 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 262

Agree, that's why the same ones go around, they have an impact, do well for a short period then struggle and get the sack.

Rinse and repeat.

By Elkding6/10 14:24Sun Oct 6 14:24:02 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 616

Re. Wallace’s recruitment record, at the time of hiring, which manager’s seemed like good appointments?

Other than Sheringham, I can’t ever really remember disagreeing with any of them at the outset:

- GW MKI - Good
- Mark Stimson - Good
- Peter Taylor - Good
- Graham Westley MKII - Ok
- Gary Smith - Good
- Graham Westley MK III - Good
- Teddy Sheringham - Poor
- Darren Sarll - Good
- Dino Maamria - Good
- Mark Sampson - Ok

Wallace can’t predict the future. He can back his man and create a supportive environment that breeds success, but the success of all these is down to the men themselves.

Interestingly, nearly all of those appointments have started well and gone to pot shortly after. I can’t explain that.

By Pat (PatJ5)7/10 12:32Mon Oct 7 12:32:00 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 387

"Gary Smith - Good"

I'd somewhat disagree with that. I'd go for:

Gary Smith - Signed selfish mercenaries and made me lose the will to live.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Sev7/10 13:38Mon Oct 7 13:38:12 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 375

His assessment is at the time of appointment not at the end or during their reign.

At the point we hired all these managers did anyone say "wtf no that's a shit appointment". Most would have either gone yes that's a good appointment or I don't know him. The only thing I disagreed with strongly was not renewing Westley's contract.

The point being yes Wallace's appointments have sometimes (mostly) turned out shit but at the time they were appointed not many would've disagreed.

By Elkding7/10 16:00Mon Oct 7 16:00:54 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 303

Thanks Sev! You saved me a response... oh.

By Cruffers7/10 13:50Mon Oct 7 13:50:33 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 367

Agreed. When we appointed Turner, he was widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the game.

By Ratman467/10 14:09Mon Oct 7 14:09:51 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 343

Not as good a coach as Sampson tho.

By Cruffers7/10 14:20Mon Oct 7 14:20:05 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 975

Time will tell.

By Deano (deanos13)7/10 14:44Mon Oct 7 14:44:20 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 341

I knew Teddy was a shit appointment, when in his presser he was asked the question 'how long is your deal?' He turned to Phil and asked him how long it was.

I told him that once. He kind of sighed.

By Cruffers7/10 14:46Mon Oct 7 14:46:27 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 348

Biggest mistake PW has ever made for the club IMO.

By Mr Happy SFC7/10 15:35Mon Oct 7 15:35:27 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 319

Quite. Still haven't recovered.

By Puds (Chuds)7/10 15:03Mon Oct 7 15:03:50 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 313

Second-highest average attendance in our club's history.

It made perfect sense as we had tried other things that didn't work to raise attendances, and it did what it was supposed to do. Just a shame it was so bad on the pitch.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))6/10 21:11Sun Oct 6 21:11:07 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 426

A Stimmo with a backbone who wins would increase the attendances. But not by much. If we were in the Championship we’d average 3,700.

Attendances will never be great

By Sev6/10 21:13Sun Oct 6 21:13:06 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 408

Spurs are doing a bit shit at the moment so we might get a few come back. (Edit: but probably not whilst we are doing even shitter)

Edited by Sev at 21:13:31 on 6th October 2019

By Specky (Mike H)6/10 16:17Sun Oct 6 16:17:24 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 529

You've missed off Richard Hill and Wayne Turner (got us to the FA Trophy final)

By Pete (PeteH)7/10 13:20Mon Oct 7 13:20:20 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 349

Cloughie got us to the QFs of the FA Trophy I think.

Or maybe not.

By Paulio6/10 14:57Sun Oct 6 14:57:32 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 558

You got those right?

- GW MKI - Horrendous
- Mark Stimson - Amazing
- Peter Taylor - Disaster
- Graham Westley MKII - Fuck Sake
- Gary Smith - No idea
- Graham Westley MK III - Kill me
- Teddy Sheringham - Could see why
- Darren Sarll - Poor but expected
- Dino Maamria - Why?
- Mark Sampson - Cheap

Of those, only three have really paid of on what was needed at the time, and that’s wezzle x2(avoid relegation, and get promoted.)And Stimmo(repair the clubs bad name)

By Elkding6/10 15:06Sun Oct 6 15:06:35 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 537

Well, it is only a conversation starter and my view - it’s far from gospel.

But, FWIW, I wouldn’t argue that on paper GW or PT were poor signings at the point they put pen to paper.

By Paulio6/10 15:11Sun Oct 6 15:11:37 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 531

I’d say that he needs to leave the hiring to other people, but Taylor was down to Bob Makin, Sheringham was probably Barry Webber and I imagine a few others were selected by others.

May we need to consider that it’s just that the club can’t draw in a good manager.

By Elkding6/10 15:20Sun Oct 6 15:20:48 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 527

You’re probably right on the first part of that as I was thinking that myself.

On the second bit, I think that’s pooh. There’s plenty of good managers further down the pyramid that would jump at the chance to join us. I’d also imagine there’s a few looking for work as well.

I have no doubt that there is plenty of talent out there that would be. A great match for us. Our issue seems to be finding it.

By Specky (Mike H)6/10 13:38Sun Oct 6 13:38:42 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 602

Good post......it could be a lot worse...we could be Spurs :))

By Paulio6/10 12:17Sun Oct 6 12:17:56 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 647

Let the fans decide by twitter poll.

By East Coast Boro6/10 12:43Sun Oct 6 12:43:22 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 614

Yeah because that always works! ;-)

By Owen6/10 11:42Sun Oct 6 11:42:23 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 668

There's a lot to be said for good old boring stability. I'd rather that than be a Bury.

5 people like this 5 people   

By East Coast Boro6/10 11:49Sun Oct 6 11:49:46 2019In response to Re: Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 657

Exactly Careful for what we wish.

By MSFC (MSFC)6/10 11:32Sun Oct 6 11:32:36 2019In response to Who had genuine belief Top of thread

Views: 704

The fanbase haven't got a clue either. Having Westley back is hardly imaginative and possibly destructive. I would still want Phil in charge over alot of the fly by nights that inhabit the world of football. He has given us a very stable club and some success over his tenure. More than some clubs have got. Or would you rather go bust and end up in a pub league ?

His only big failing is his luck with selecting managers. Which is annoying but I won't hold him accountable for it.

Edited by MSFC at 11:35:36 on 6th October 2019

4 people like this 4 people   3 people dislike this 3 people

Previous thread: Bye Sampson. by WASP5/10 16:44Sat Oct 5 16:44:31 2019view thread