ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: BOLTON PUNISHED BY EFL ....... yeah right! by DaveToday 19:32Today at 19:32:20view thread

Oldest article: Just Wondering by Sev7/9 22:22Sat Sep 7 22:22:43 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Salford by Pat25/10 18:39Fri Oct 25 18:39:19 2019view thread

Honest Observation

By Boromatt23/10 08:06Wed Oct 23 08:06:57 2019

Views: 1007

That sucked last night! Was truly gutted when we lost it right at the death.

Just a couple of observations that I made last night:

* I disagreed with the start of Sonupe, I didn’t think he really did anything. I haven’t been that impressed with Sonupe since his come back from injury. I would’ve liked to have seen Cowley with Kurtis. I’ve liked their partnership recently and I think Mark might’ve been hesitant to drop him aster Saturday, but I would’ve given him ago.

* It’s quite clear where we’re lacking. The midfield! For large amounts last night I watched Swindon run the game in midfield. We don’t have a top quality midfield player that creates to the quality of this level. To me, we have quite a few counter attacking players in the middle. Now that Parrett is back and Digby not too far off, hopefully our midfield worries can be put to bed and ultimately offer more support to our forward line.

* A little too direct last night! Again this for me links to the point above, but, IMO I think the level has improved this season and we have to get the ball down and play. For me last night, there was too many direct long balls and not enough creativity on the ball. I thought that on Saturday too away Port Vale, there were times where we’d give the ball away easily.

However, the players really did try last night. Farman I thought was fantastic and kept us in the game until their goal. I honestly don’t think we’ll go down. Luckily only one team is through the trapped door and I don’t think Morecambe are much better than ourselves. IMO we have to win Saturday! Anything other than a win for me, isn’t good enough. The draws are positive, but we have to start winning games, because this table is so slowly getting away from us. 12 wins gets us to 50 points, I can see us doing that.

Edited by Boromatt at 08:07:48 on 23rd October 2019
Edited by Boromatt at 08:08:05 on 23rd October 2019
Edited by Boromatt at 08:09:39 on 23rd October 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people   5 people dislike this 5 people

Re: Honest Observation

By RockyBottom23/10 14:05Wed Oct 23 14:05:29 2019In response to Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 608

Cowley did nothing against Port Vale so I can see why he was dropped. Personally I would have started CMS with Kurtis if he has the legs to get through 60 mins plus.

Obviously a 1-0 defeat at Swindon isn't unexpected it normal circumstances, but it sounds like we were trying to play for a draw. You are always likely to get found out if you do that.

I'm not massively for or against Sampson. I do question some of his tactics and selections at times but he has also inherited players that he hasn't chosen. The midfield has been bang average (at best) for seasons and we are now being found out.

The amount of bookings Farman is picking up is very annoying as it means he will miss the most important game of the season so far.

If we don't get a win against Morecambe and at least something v Scunthorpe I will start to get worried but still think we will be ok.

I just bloody hope we don't invite that bloody chipmunk back into the club.

Edited by RockyBottom at 14:06:28 on 23rd October 2019

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Rotterdamboro23/10 09:42Wed Oct 23 09:42:39 2019In response to Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 828

' It’s quite clear where we’re lacking.'

Footballers, I would suggest

3 people like this 3 people   

By Owen23/10 09:44Wed Oct 23 09:44:22 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 793

Points too.

By Deano (deanos13)23/10 10:11Wed Oct 23 10:11:21 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 793

It isn't easy to operate a small league 2 club successfully. It takes experience, know how, a little bit of wit and obsession. It is possible. As we have proved.
GW took us twice into the play offs. Thats twice out of 2 attempts.

I've missed the last 5 games. I probably could have made 4 of them. Thats more than I missed in Sarlls entire reign. As much as GW would probably upset this squad, don't forget he does have a history of inspiring some unlikely candidates to achieve some incredible things.

Phil seems to bring the best out of him, especially when GW has a point to prove.

I bet he'd love to knock Posh out the Cup too.........

5 people like this 5 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By AgentEves24/10 22:02Thu Oct 24 22:02:13 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 248

"don't forget he does have a history of inspiring some unlikely candidates to achieve some incredible things."

I'd LOVE to see Cowley and Newton under GW.

I suspect Kurtis would be one of the first out the door, but if GW could get more out of him, he has the potential to be unreal. Clearly a very gifted player.

4 people like this 4 people   

By Paulio25/10 16:04Fri Oct 25 16:04:10 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 171

Cowley would be stuck on weights and be used as a target man.

By Pat (PatJ5)23/10 12:17Wed Oct 23 12:17:56 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 643

"As much as GW would probably upset this squad" and let's be honest when performance levels in your team or poor a bit of upset is maybe what you need. Some painfully honest home truths to make people buck their ideas up and stop coasting.

5 people like this 5 people   

By dippers123/10 11:51Wed Oct 23 11:51:45 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 668

I watch for the results but sadly after 25 years of following the Boro home and away I became so disenchanted I've barely seen half a dozen games in the past two seasons.

The Club seems to have lost its way. All this monument building is fine but we follow teams for the product on the pitch.

We need change from the top down.

How is any Manager supposed to build success when over half of the squad changes every season.

By Sev23/10 11:54Wed Oct 23 11:54:30 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 652

Is that not common to most clubs at this level? I assumed it was but I don't know as I dont follow other clubs.

By dippers123/10 12:02Wed Oct 23 12:02:37 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 674

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/transfers/wettbewerb/GB4

Would seem to be the case, just a feeling with me that our experience was extreme.

By Boromatt23/10 10:44Wed Oct 23 10:44:57 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 716

I know Graham is a legend at the club. Promotions etc. But, when Graham was in a similar situation with ourselves in the EFL we got relegated? The team ruined by the previous manager, took over, then the next season we went down? Similar situation?

Although, his success in League Two is phenomenal. The man knows how to get a team into the play offs.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Tucks23/10 11:50Wed Oct 23 11:50:12 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 641

Compared to the squad GW inherited from Smith, which he then binned a lot of before the relegation season let’s not forget, this is a squad assembled by Dino. With that in mind there are probably more players who would fit the GW mould here now.

Four teams get relegated from League One, only one goes down from League Two this year. But we finished bottom of League One when we got relegated. We’re bottom now and starting to get cut off from the teams above us.

I’m not buying into Sampson being the saviour personally. I’d take GW back in a heartbeat, he’s stick the boot up some arses at the very least and I think there’s enough talent in the squad to stay up. It could be argued that two of the players in the squad who have the ability to win us games in Parrett and Kennedy have played their best football under GW too.

5 people like this 5 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Sev23/10 11:14Wed Oct 23 11:14:46 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 676

Similar situation to that League One season, which is why I would only go to Westley as a last resort. I remember him saying he was relieved when we got relegated that season. (I think because that was the opportunity to begin planning for the future and to have a complete overhaul and get rid of the unsuitable players he thought we had)

Edit: although I'm sure he would keep us up as this is the league below, and only 1 go down.

Edited by Sev at 11:22:04 on 23rd October 2019

By Borominister23/10 10:51Wed Oct 23 10:51:35 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 705

Exactly. This team is severely lacking in fitness (hence all the injurys) westley had them players 8 hrs a day there fitness was 2nd to none. I dont think half the players we currently av even know what position there playing there fitness is awful, westley brought the good times to this club and that's what's needed he knows his way around this league and gets the best out of average players.

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By RockyBottom23/10 14:07Wed Oct 23 14:07:48 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 530

You do know injuries occur far more often when you overtrain players?

By Deano (deanos13)23/10 14:27Wed Oct 23 14:27:15 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 526

Harry, that was not the case this August. 8-9 players out. All with different problems. I asked Oldfield your very question. He didnt buy it.

Yes Cuthbert and TvC went over each other. But I dont buy this overtraining bollocks

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Cruffers23/10 11:08Wed Oct 23 11:08:58 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 669

So why haven’t we sacked the Fitness Coach then? It seems that is a big part of the problem.

By Hitchin Callling23/10 11:25Wed Oct 23 11:25:06 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 636

It should be criminal at this level to have fitness issues.

By SFCfox23/10 11:11Wed Oct 23 11:11:53 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 664

On the terraces everybody is an expert.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)23/10 11:46Wed Oct 23 11:46:18 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 635

No. Only a few of us.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Sev23/10 10:27Wed Oct 23 10:27:24 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 699

Also, if we are saying it's the whole culture that needs changing then he is an ideal candidate to do that.

You look at where and when hes been employed by other clubs. Preston, Newport etc, places where hes had to go and basically destroy everything that exists and rebuild from the core. He's hasn't necessarily been seen as very successful on the pitch but what he does is set it up for the next manager to come in and do well.

They needed a Westley like a wrecking ball otherwise they would forever be just repairing holes and not getting anything better.

And if you can follow that analogy, fair play to you.

2 people like this 2 people   

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)23/10 10:33Wed Oct 23 10:33:28 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 716

The squad didn't really buy into Dino's work ethic or whatever culture he tried to instil.

What makes you think they'll change under Graham?

He would fuck off several players from a relatively thin squad, be unable to replace them till January, and only then from a limited pool.

"We don't have much money, we're bottom of the league and we're managed by Graham Westley" - hardly a catchy advertising slogan to attract proven quality to the club. In the football community he is in the 'damaged goods reduced for quick sale' bin alongside the dented tin of peas

I seriously don't think GW is the answer. Maybe in the summer with a rebuild budget but not now. And I'm a Westley fan.

While we remain in touch with the clubs above us, I'm in no rush to start again. Risky either way but I'd stick for the time being, twist if we are 5-6 points adrift, which may be soon.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 10:33:59 on 23rd October 2019

By Tucks23/10 11:52Wed Oct 23 11:52:29 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 632

Two people can have the same ethos and message but the difference comes in how they deliver it as to whether people will buy into it or not.

By Deano (deanos13)23/10 11:49Wed Oct 23 11:49:23 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 640

Thing is Balders, he's had the balls to break cultures at PNE and Newport. Sensible people at those clubs have told me what he did to destroy the cancer. He's older and wiser and probably more experienced at it than Dino was.

So we know he can break a culture, and more than capable in making a team improve. However they are very different jobs. If you try to do them together, there is massive risk. You have to be prepared to see results suffer while you smash the culture. Wise, in the long term.
And maybe relegation happened for that reason. Play offs happened in 2015 because 13/14 happened. There was no danger of the double drop we've seen in some quarters.

I'd imagine he's hungry. Lets look at the Posh game. Who would you think we could beat McAnthonys mob with? Sampson or Westley? I know the answer to that.

8 people like this 8 people   

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)23/10 12:45Wed Oct 23 12:45:56 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 571

That's my concern, we would probably be trying to do a bit of a destructive job to enable a rebuild, and trying to improve in the short term. As you say doing both at the same time is dangerous.

It carries too big a risk at this stage. . I have seen enough of this team to remain confident that we're probably too good to go down, as long as we get a decent, fit CM by January (Digby/Parrett or a new one) - and a good wide man.

It's a gamble I know, and currently all the facts suggest we're not good enough, otherwise we wouldn't be bottom, but the gamble of Graham at the moment presents greater risks.

Do you think there is a problem with the culture within the squad? I don't see cliques, or laziness, or players refusing to do what is asked, or a squad bereft of confidence. Yes confidence is fragile, as you'd expect given our results, but it's not shot.

And I don't think either of them would beat Posh with the available players in this squad.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 12:47:47 on 23rd October 2019

By SFCfox23/10 11:54Wed Oct 23 11:54:50 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 623

Wow.. i loved Westley as our manager but i think i'm going to be sick after reading that.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Deano (deanos13)23/10 12:00Wed Oct 23 12:00:07 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 634

I like debating with Baldock. You have to up your game.

Some people I reply LOL to, as its not worth the debate.

By SFCfox23/10 12:04Wed Oct 23 12:04:55 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 650

Haha, look i love Westley i just don't think he's the man for the job. As far as i know he's been out of the game for a few years (tell me if i'm wrong).

I think we need somebody to help Sampson, an older figure that's willing to be a number 2.

5 people dislike this 5 people

By Thora24/10 16:05Thu Oct 24 16:05:56 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 363

I like the idea of having the work experience boy in charge too.

By SFCfox24/10 16:23Thu Oct 24 16:23:20 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 310

Sampson has plenty of experience, Revell on the other hand...

By Thora24/10 16:41Thu Oct 24 16:41:43 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 305

What relevant experience does he have?

By SFCfox24/10 17:04Thu Oct 24 17:04:34 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 289

I suppose it depends what you see as relevant.

By Thora24/10 19:05Thu Oct 24 19:05:56 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 276

League experience.
Matches every week experience.
Training every day experience.
Grafting out points with a shit squad experience.
Mens experience.
"Tuesday night under the lights is something special" experience.

Can't replace all that with experience of tribunals, experience of the Matt Farley podcast and racism allegations.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Deano (deanos13)24/10 17:06Thu Oct 24 17:06:56 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 276

Is he going to be able to decide who is taking the part of Luke Wilkinson this weekend?

By SFCfox24/10 17:40Thu Oct 24 17:40:12 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 270

Haha! That is a tough one. Tony Roberts on the bench?

By Deano (deanos13)24/10 21:50Thu Oct 24 21:50:02 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 235

He'd need Keith's shorts.

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)24/10 17:43Thu Oct 24 17:43:58 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 265

I'm sure Ali would happily come back to cover the bench for us 😂😂

By Deano (deanos13)23/10 12:06Wed Oct 23 12:06:09 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 612

I think Glenn Roeder is available.

Or someone thats been out of the game a few years?

By Ratman4623/10 16:50Wed Oct 23 16:50:27 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 435

What happened to Steve Coppell coming in?

It was a done deal with those in the know. They announced it before the club did 😂

By Deano (deanos13)23/10 17:20Wed Oct 23 17:20:59 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 419

Need to check with Donnellyrd.

By Sev23/10 11:07Wed Oct 23 11:07:11 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 650

As I've said elsewhere I wouldn't sack Sampson for Westley. Not now anyway.

And like you I have said in the past I'm not sure Westley is right for this squad.

I was talking more hypothetically if people think we need a complete overhaul. I dont think we do. We need a manager who can get this "group" peaking.

Edited by Sev at 11:07:24 on 23rd October 2019

By SFCfox23/10 10:35Wed Oct 23 10:35:48 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 715

We'll hammer the crap out of Morecambe. Scunny may be a tough one, smash Oldham and Walsall.

Then we're sitting pretty. Super Marky Sampson and all that.

2 people like this 2 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By Deano (deanos13)24/10 22:04Thu Oct 24 22:04:08 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 226

'Marky'

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))23/10 12:48Wed Oct 23 12:48:27 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 589

and then the melodrama on here will end FOREVER

By Mr Happy SFC23/10 15:34Wed Oct 23 15:34:17 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 495

I doubt it. We'll still find someone to hate on or something to moan about.

By Ratman4623/10 16:52Wed Oct 23 16:52:38 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 423

Not when Oldham score a last minute winner against us and Dino celebrates in front of MS....

Football always comes back to haunt you.

By Mr Happy SFC23/10 16:59Wed Oct 23 16:59:37 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 428

Dino loves us. I couldn't happen.

By Ratman4623/10 17:04Wed Oct 23 17:04:19 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 420

Doubt that love extends to MS.

By Mr Happy SFC23/10 17:12Wed Oct 23 17:12:06 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 433

Joking aside, why do we think there's bad blood between them?

By Thora24/10 16:04Thu Oct 24 16:04:23 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 310

King Mark snaked him.

By Mr Happy SFC24/10 16:21Thu Oct 24 16:21:05 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 291

OK, thanks. I have no idea what you're saying, but thanks anyway.

By Freemo24/10 20:15Thu Oct 24 20:15:46 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 283

Sampson knifed him on the Forum steps. I think it was in TK Maxx.

By Pat (PatJ5)25/10 07:18Fri Oct 25 07:18:22 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 212

Et tu Sampson.

By Ratman4623/10 18:01Wed Oct 23 18:01:27 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 389

What Dino agreed with MS when he joined is not how it played out and he was let down.

Thora posted what happened a while back.

By Mr Happy SFC23/10 19:28Wed Oct 23 19:28:35 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 361

Must have missed that.

By Ratman4623/10 20:32Wed Oct 23 20:32:52 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 345

Maybe one for the Podcast...

By Freemo23/10 09:18Wed Oct 23 09:18:05 2019In response to Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 769

By your calculations we need to improve our win rate by 580%.

By Bladders (BALDOCKBORO)23/10 10:27Wed Oct 23 10:27:28 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 686

Achievable...

By Ratman4623/10 16:55Wed Oct 23 16:55:12 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 473

Piece of piss with MS at the helm, never been in doubt, he's changed so much for the good, the place is buzzing with positivity.

The players love him.

Edited by Ratman46 at 16:55:43 on 23rd October 2019

By Handyandy123/10 10:49Wed Oct 23 10:49:09 2019In response to Re: Honest Observation Top of thread

Views: 657

And the band played on.

Previous thread: BoroGuide: Six-Point Shrimp Saturday Showdown by Pete25/10 13:14Fri Oct 25 13:14:06 2019view thread