ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Mark Sampson: Stevenage caretaker charged with… by bcb1994Today 13:35Today at 13:35:03view thread

Oldest article: Bury Fallout by dippers17/9 18:16Sat Sep 7 18:16:06 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: The Stevenage FC Podcast: #20 by Boromatt7/11 10:26Thu Nov 7 10:26:59 2019view thread

Yesterday

By Northern_Boro3/11 10:40Sun Nov 3 10:40:52 2019

Views: 1428

Yesterday was the first game I've seen this season

To be honest, it wasn't great - clearly a team with a low level of confidence, and not the greatest players I've seen in a Stevenage shirt. However, what it did show was a good sense of organisation and application - traits that our most successful manager always prized, and which epitomise for me what our club is about. The result was a solid away point - not bad

I have to say that what really shocked my was the chanting of Sampson Out by a minority from minute 1. Everyone is entitled to their views, but I can't for the life of me imagine how grim it must feel to be a player and, rather than being urged on, listening to factional arguments among the fans. For me, Stevenage is all about unity, passion, standing together through tough times (I'm old enough to remember the demise of Stevenage Town)

I've no idea how far this group of players can go - maybe with a couple of reinforcements it could be further than the modest level I suspect, but what I'm sure of is that supporting them with every fibre is the Stevenage way

Come on you Boro

reply to this article | return to the front page

15 people like this 15 people   

Re: Yesterday

By Junction 74/11 10:59Mon Nov 4 10:59:36 2019In response to YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 785

I have to say that what really shocked me was the chanting of Sampson Out by a minority from minute 1”

This shocks me too 😳😳😳 only the minority?? 🤣🤣🤣

2 people like this 2 people   8 people dislike this 8 people

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/11 06:53Mon Nov 4 06:53:42 2019In response to YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 924

What astounds me most is those chanting we want Sampson out was so proud of themselves. It’s like they want him to fail to prove a point. I’m not telling anyone to like Sampson. But for me supporting the team includes the manager, it’s not like we want him in to fail (I hope) . Then again they was off their faces on drugs and was threatening to beat up 16 year olds for no reason (until I made a rather loud point about how very high and mighty they was.) This club was all about together and unity, clearly that’s gone. I thought more of the people who claim to support the club. Shame

As for the game. It was alright. Can’t miss the chances we did and expect to win games. Scunthorpe beat Exeter 4-0 and Northampton 3-0 in recent weeks and only lost two at home this season. Do believe that they’ll be the team to be in the play off picture come April. We didn’t give Novak and Van Veen a sniff. I think it’s a good point if we come to beat oldham. We won the midfield again, it was far from aimless hoof ball , Farman has had one save from the free kick, and as I say we really did have the chances to win it

Thought the tactics was spot on mostly. For the sub debate, I really don’t think anyone would of made a huge impact, people will say Cowley but for who, Watts and Parrett was on the wing so then you have to change the system, why would we change the system, we wasn’t giving them chances and we was creating good ones and there would of been meltdown if we subbed striker for striker. The bench is very week but with Sampson freezing Kennedy and Taylor out. I suppose we’re asking for that

As for Mark, PW has backed him for the next few weeks with Oldfield returning and Coppell still in the picture. We’re creating chances and we’re becoming hard to beat. Run of decent enough form. Think we’re 11th in the form table. For those asking is he the long term answer, Is this the time to answer that?, let’s get out of this mess first before we ask that. He’s adjusting his focus from long term to short term to get these results. Definite upward trend, is it fast enough? For now. Two big league matches for the club coming up. For now my faith lays with Mark.

To the how far we can go. I don’t think these players are far away from pushing on. I’m not saying we will push on. I’m saying we’re not miles away. Finishing chances would help. I know we say it every week but still big players to come back. I think the squad will be significantly trimmed. One or two reinforcements would make a huge difference. A winger, A striker and Lakin (My MOTM Saturday) was always a view in January to a loan extension. But we’ve got such a talented squad. That amongst other things need confidence

I’ve been to every game this season and I’ve only once thought we’re screwed. Something from the team is still wanting me to get up and go to Scunthorpe. And it’s certainly not the sight seeing. So I believe in the team (including the manager) to get the results. The major positive is every single one of those players care and work their absolute hardest. As long as you have that, you have every chance and until that drops I’ll be supporting them at every game with every fibre in my body

Up the Boro

13 people like this 13 people   8 people dislike this 8 people

By Deano (deanos13)4/11 14:25Mon Nov 4 14:25:40 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 662

I have questions:

Do believe that they’ll be the team to be in the play off picture come April. - Who? Scunthorpe? If so, I'll take £50 with you. Real money. Not Farley pounds. Dont mind it going in to the Kit Mans Benevolent fund.

The bench is very week but with Sampson freezing Kennedy and Taylor out Has he?

PW has backed him for the next few weeks with Oldfield returning and Coppell still in the picture Is Coppell in the picture?

Also where is the goalie coach that arrived with him? Has he gone already?

Is this the time to answer that?, let’s get out of this mess first before we ask that. Not a question, but you sound like Steve Watkins.....!!

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/11 15:08Mon Nov 4 15:08:37 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 642

What we considering the play off picture? Happy to have the bet.

They was both fine and suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth. I still get told a bit of this and that from reliable people. I’ll stick with it and if I’m wrong. I’ll put my hands up.

Same thing for Coppell. Think he’s on holiday at the minute

Tony Roberts probably couldn’t handle both club and the international duties. But this is a prediction. I don’t know everything. Ian Pledger has joined from Mansfield.

I’ll have you know there’s nothing wrong about sounding like Watkins 😉

By Deano (deanos13)4/11 15:33Mon Nov 4 15:33:56 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 643

Hang on. Let me get this straight. You think Scunthorpe will get in the play offs........? I have the misfortune to knock about the home fans Gents facilities at half time, and the vibe I got, will be that it'd be like taking candy from a baby. But there we are.......

Everyone thinks they have reliable sources.

And if you want to sound like a Dinosaur you go for it!!!

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/11 15:39Mon Nov 4 15:39:36 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 635

Not what I said. I said in the picture. It’s all in the wording Dean

As I said. We’ll see

You’re the one calling for GW. I wouldn’t be calling me the dinosaur ☺️

2 people like this 2 people   

By Deano (deanos13)4/11 16:05Mon Nov 4 16:05:46 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 636

Where have you seen me say 'I want GW back'? I was just throwing in some detail for you to munch over......

Its all in the wording...........

Edited by deanos13 at 16:06:12 on 4th November 2019

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/11 16:29Mon Nov 4 16:29:13 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 607

Well played Mr Thompson.....Well played

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)4/11 09:48Mon Nov 4 09:48:07 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 774

What was the game you thought we were screwed?

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/11 10:14Mon Nov 4 10:14:20 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 768

I was worried just after Northampton

Fears have since been eased.

Edited by Donnelly at 10:15:00 on 4th November 2019

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)4/11 12:13Mon Nov 4 12:13:50 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 687

So you were wearing a blindfold at Colchester?

4 people like this 4 people   

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/11 13:34Mon Nov 4 13:34:30 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 704

I wasn’t as worried then

The issues was quite clear. Mentality and fitness. Very fixable. We was probably worse against ColU. But the problems was fixable. As seen now as we have proven

Northampton the issues was everywhere and I didn’t know where to start

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By AgentEves5/11 20:47Tue Nov 5 20:47:31 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 300

When the object is a plural, you should use 'were'. When the object is singular, you should use 'was'.

By Pat (PatJ5)6/11 11:32Wed Nov 6 11:32:54 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 223

You make it sounds so easy to write properly.

By SFA5/11 07:09Tue Nov 5 07:09:29 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 475

Have we proven? We're still level on points with bottom of the league!

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)5/11 09:12Tue Nov 5 09:12:40 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 427

Shame the table ends at the end of April then really

1 person likes this 1 person   3 people dislike this 3 people

By SFA5/11 11:09Tue Nov 5 11:09:24 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 394

Correct, but you've suggested we've ALREADY 'proven' that we've turned it around.

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)5/11 11:19Tue Nov 5 11:19:47 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 408

I said we’ve proved our fitness and mentality

By Ratman465/11 08:22Tue Nov 5 08:22:58 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 441

Wasn't we told the table would look very different 5 to 10 games in. We're 10 games in and still second bottom.

Or was that just off the pitch?

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Deltic 216/11 08:14Wed Nov 6 08:14:37 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 245

Yes Ratman, when he said that he meant the table in the manager’s office. He’s had it re-varnished so now it ‘looks very different’. 😊

By East Coast Boro6/11 09:40Wed Nov 6 09:40:05 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 222

Ah ..... so the support from the chairman was from the bloke from DFS! ;-)

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)5/11 10:38Tue Nov 5 10:38:26 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 401

In fairness

We are better now than we was five ten games ago

He didn’t say we WILL be in a different place. He said if we do this and that we will be in a different place. Haven’t done enough of the right things. Like score our chances

Edited by Donnelly at 10:40:00 on 5th November 2019
Edited by Donnelly at 10:44:11 on 5th November 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Cruffers5/11 08:24Tue Nov 5 08:24:56 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 418

No, they meant the north stand.

We’re 10 games in and it’s still not open.

Edited by Cruffers at 08:25:54 on 5th November 2019

2 people like this 2 people   

By Ratman465/11 09:04Tue Nov 5 09:04:47 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 405

Good point.

Plus side we're up for a business award.

#winningoffthepitch

Edited by Ratman46 at 09:04:55 on 5th November 2019

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Cruffers5/11 09:06Tue Nov 5 09:06:51 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 398

I can’t see why anyone should be having any cause for concern then!

#wecantberelegatedbecausewevewonabusinessaward

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By jayess4/11 09:10Mon Nov 4 09:10:29 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 793

Very well reasoned and well put.
I don't understand the 5 dislikes.

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Donnellyrd (Donnelly)4/11 13:40Mon Nov 4 13:40:52 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 624

Neither do I. Some people don’t like differing opinions

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)4/11 08:01Mon Nov 4 08:01:00 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 807

Those chanting Sampson out were off their tits. Their eyes had totally gone.

5 people like this 5 people   

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)4/11 09:04Mon Nov 4 09:04:55 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 761

I knew you liked a drink mate, but I didn't think you did drugs.

3 people like this 3 people   

By Freemo3/11 12:32Sun Nov 3 12:32:40 2019In response to YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 1156

I disagree that it was a good result as I think writing off the idea of getting any more than a point from half our remaining games is a bad policy. Whilst Sampson can claim to have stopped the rot, we need to climb out of the hole we're in, not just be happy we can still see out.

That being said, I personally would not travel any distance on a miserable day to wind up a fan base which is small and disillusioned enough as it is. Some strange people out there.

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

By OldStripey3/11 11:02Sun Nov 3 11:02:03 2019In response to YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 1231

A well written piece and a very good summary of the game. What was also shocking was some of the language used at times form , as you put it, by a minority of fans. Such behaviour is detrimental to our hope of fostering a family environment and spirit.
Looking at some of the "suspects" I could not help but think of the phrase "the lights are on but no one is home".
Poor game but a good result. The Football League newspaper gave the man of the match to the Scunthorpe goalkeeper. I think that is the third time this season that the opposing team,s keeper has been nominated. We had chances but our finishing needs tuning (football parlance for stating the obvious).
Small steps but I feel we are growing as a team.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Telboy3/11 12:32Sun Nov 3 12:32:36 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 1134

If this attitude towards our manager continues it does no good.

Undermining the manager, by even a small element during a match, can only spread negative vibes.

I really don't get it...there was one lonesome prat fan during the Morecambe game on the ET trying to get others to follow with a Westley chant.

What possible good can that do?

These Westley lovers should be careful what they wish for. If Sampson proves to be our saviour, with this attitude from the minority, will see him drop us like a hot potato for any tempting offer elsewhere!

By the way, I loved our success under Westley and would support him wholeheartedly if he was our manager.

Currently he is NOT!

3 people like this 3 people   

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)3/11 12:55Sun Nov 3 12:55:15 2019In response to Re: YesterdayTop of thread

Views: 1142

That's right. I'll never understand posters that undermine the manager, even in the slightest.

As for the fan trying to start a Westerley chant... To be fair on Ogsy, he had had a few pints that afternoon.

7 people like this 7 people   

Previous thread: Rollinson by Bladders5/11 21:21Tue Nov 5 21:21:35 2019view thread