ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: LIFE AS A TTW .... by Dino Maamria's Goat.Today 00:16Today at 00:16:43view thread

Oldest article: Adam Marriott by Elkding7/1 20:58Tue Jan 7 20:58:57 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: New Third Kit for Leyton Orient match. by Roland Rimbs8/1 17:07Wed Jan 8 17:07:25 2020view thread

8 Years Ago Today

By Ratman467/1 22:13Tue Jan 7 22:13:48 2020

Views: 1025

We beat Reading in the FA Cup, awesome away day.

GW left us soon after 😢

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   

Re: 8 Years Ago Today

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)8/1 18:48Wed Jan 8 18:48:57 2020In response to 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 520

Imagine getting a girlfriend who you dump because things were a bit boring and a bit rough.

But they’ve changed, so you give them another chance. Things go really well this time. But they get a better offer so leave you.

After a while of you hanging on, she’s been blown out by her new bae so you take her back. Things are shit as you’re struggling from a relationship you had between. Things never really pick up so you end things.

Etc

By Tucks8/1 21:37Wed Jan 8 21:37:10 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 504

Imagine you have a girlfriend and she’s nice and likes to experiment. You get comfortable and think that if you can pull her then you can pull other girls too so you let her go. She spends a couple of years with other boys but none of them are a good fit. You spend some time with a better looking bald girlfriend. But she only ever lets things get exciting once a year for your birthday (in May). Eventually a bloke from Kent with a better motor comes along and she leaves you taking half the squad. So you move on to an older girl, one who’s done the rounds with a few reasonably successful, good looking blokes. It’s a rebound and only lasts six months and all you’ve gained out of it is the name (and a left back).

You’ve still got the first girlfriend’s number so you chance your arm and before you know it you’re back in bed together and she’s absolutely filthy. You have a great few years but then she gets her own back and gets tempted by a bloke with a bigger stadium. You’re a little bit hurt and fragile but you know your worth and suddenly you find a new girlfriend, she’s been away in America for a few years so she hasn’t been knocking around with the other boys in town which can only be a good thing. At first things look promising, you carry on as if she’s just replaced your last girlfriend but then she starts to put her own stamp on the relationship and it’s time to give her the elbow. Like a comfy pair of slippers that original girl is back on the market, why not?

Things aren’t great at first but you both soldier on looking to rekindle the old magic and it appears after a while that you’ve done just that. Your parents are in your ear however suggesting that a higher profile girlfriend would increase attendances at family gatherings so you part ways once more. The new Mrs is a looker, but she’s vanilla and seems more at home playing golf or poker. It’s never going to last. And it doesn’t.

The original girlfriend is seeing other boys now, so you decide to go for a younger model. She makes all the right noises and shows plenty of passion, she even gets her own set of orange and black lingerie inscribed with “destiny will always take over,” for you and things seem good for a while but yet again it just isn’t the right fit, so you let her go to Watford, the last you heard of her she was in the Somerset area. It would be desperation to go back for a fourth time to the original girl surely? So you move on to her Tunisian mate. They used to be inseparable and were into all the same things. There’s plenty of passion but there seems to be no direction. She borrows a Chair from a friend in London and that spices things up for a few months but ultimately you hit rock bottom pretty soon after so you have to give her the boot sadly. You knock about with a Welsh girl for a few months afterwards but she’s not doing it for you either.

It’s time to swallow your pride and bring back the filthy ex for a fourth time. You’re both more mature but know you give each other exactly what you want. Maybe this time it’ll stick and you’ll live happily ever after?

3 people like this 3 people   

By Freemo9/1 08:12Thu Jan 9 08:12:30 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 369

she even gets her own set of orange and black lingerie inscribed with “destiny will always take over,” for you

This was the point where I couldn't hold on any longer.

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)8/1 22:07Wed Jan 8 22:07:42 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 356

tl;dr

By Deltic 218/1 22:05Wed Jan 8 22:05:21 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 367

Love it 😊👍

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)8/1 19:16Wed Jan 8 19:16:42 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 457

Typical Stevenage relationship.

By Owen (Owen)8/1 19:13Wed Jan 8 19:13:57 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 456

Is this a personal story?

Edited by Owen at 19:14:12 on 8th January 2020

By Copeysaurus8/1 17:30Wed Jan 8 17:30:28 2020In response to 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 529

Fuck me. 8 years!!

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)8/1 08:47Wed Jan 8 08:47:03 2020In response to 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 747

Here’s his recollection of events:
https://iwouldloveitifwebeatthem.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/the-secret-diary-of-graham-westley-aged-43-and-34/

5 people like this 5 people   

By Bankerbob8/1 18:15Wed Jan 8 18:15:03 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 476

That really was a brilliant read!

1 person likes this 1 person   

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)8/1 10:09Wed Jan 8 10:09:15 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 648

Some people believe that is a parody.

By Ratman468/1 09:16Wed Jan 8 09:16:54 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 683

Still stands the test of time, great piece of work that was 😎

By AgentEves8/1 00:17Wed Jan 8 00:17:27 2020In response to 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 747

On this note, I'm not sure if anyone else felt the same way, but I actually took a lot of solace from what Westley said when he spoke about this period on ALOOT.

For those of you that didn't listen, he said that many players were out of contract, or would soon be out of contract, and a those that weren't likely would have been poached by bigger clubs (with more resources), meaning, even if we had gone up, a lot of the team would have been dismantled, and we likely would have had a horrible season in the Championship. It was the end of an era for that team and as much as we might romanticize about what might have happened if Westley had stayed, it likely wouldn't have been what we imagined.

I don't know how much of that is true, but it made a lot of sense, and added a perspective that I hadn't previously considered. As painful as it was when Westley left, especially since it ultimately lead to our demise, I feel a lot better about it now. The knowledge that it would likely have come to an end either way meant I was able to make peace with him leaving.

What's more, it bothered me that Westley was disappointed that we didn't wish him well in moving on. He made a good point that he deserved the opportunity to take a job with a bigger club, and although it ultimately ended badly for him (and us), he's absolutely right. As Deano rightly said, we weren't ready for it to be over, but Westley still earned the right to be thanked and receive his well wishes.

5 people like this 5 people   

By Tucks8/1 07:43Wed Jan 8 07:43:46 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 692

When he went it hurt a lot but I don’t think there was any animosity towards him. He took a better job with better prospects. That opportunity may not have been there for him later on, and indeed hasn’t been thus far.

At the end of that season the team broke up but I can’t recall many of them making massive moves, granted they moved to bigger clubs and likely bigger wages too. Had we gone up I’d like to think a few that did leave may have stuck around, particularly those who went to Preston. Lawrie went to his boyhood club which probably would have happened either way. We may have got another year or two out of Bossie (what league were Posh in when he joined them?).

We’d have made a good fist of it in the Championship I reckon. We would have needed additions but we could have had a year or two of fighting to stay up at least. Would have been fun.

By AgentEves8/1 17:43Wed Jan 8 17:43:52 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 498

The point Westley made was that if we had got promoted to the Championship, you'd have had a whole other group of teams looking at the players. As opposed to players on a team that did well, but ultimately fell short.

By Deano (deanos13)8/1 12:00Wed Jan 8 12:00:33 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 619

I 'think' there was a lot of animosity from the players. I might be wrong. But I think some took it badly

By Puds (Chuds)8/1 13:51Wed Jan 8 13:51:57 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 572

Aye.

I recall the rumours of Ash punching GW when he told them and all sorts of other stuff flying about!

Edit: I am not suggesting he did that, but things like that were coming out which suggested a lot of unhappy campers on the training ground and within the club.

Edited by Chuds at 13:53:46 on 8th January 2020

By Stevie Wonder (Geoff Wode)8/1 14:07Wed Jan 8 14:07:53 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 577

Made worse when Smith rocked up a short while later.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))8/1 14:34Wed Jan 8 14:34:00 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 553

Mr Gal Personality Smith was a Stevenage Type of Manager, A Good Fit For The Club ... and all sorts of bollocks. Could anyone have been more temperamentally different to GW?

By AgentEves8/1 17:44Wed Jan 8 17:44:53 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 498

On paper, Gary Smith was an excellent appointment.

By Pat (PatJ5)9/1 15:06Thu Jan 9 15:06:59 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 270

Sadly on the touchline he was a useless waste of space.

By Puds (Chuds)8/1 00:25Wed Jan 8 00:25:06 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 771

Does anybody think we wouldn't have had a horrible season in the Championship even with those players?! Of course we would have, we would have got hammered even with them and Westley. But I would have taken a season of getting thumped in the Championship to have spent a season in the Championship and gone to Elland Road, The Hawthorns, Stadium of Light etc. every fortnight over our season of losing in L1 at places like Bury and Scunthorpe!

And did many people think he was wrong to leave? Maybe they did. I personally said at the time and have done ever since, that he was totally correct to do so. Regardless of how it panned out. Had we had a poor second half to the season he would never have got a chance like he had. You cannot turn down an offer like that, to go from a club like us to a massive club with genuine PL potential. Likewise when Nathan Jones went to Stoke, even though that one I knew would fail. But he has to give it a go when the chance arises.

10 people like this 10 people   

By Sev8/1 06:46Wed Jan 8 06:46:45 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 712

Yeah I wished him well at the time and thought he deserved his shot at a bigger club.

He said he thought we would go on to get promoted without him anyway, but unfortunately that never happened.

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)8/1 09:56Wed Jan 8 09:56:57 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 644

I don't recall that much animosity from the fanbase. Internal club stuff I have no idea.

Fairly sure I, likemost on here, were sad but understood he couldn't turn down the opportunity and wished him well. Fairly sure PNE gained a lot of Twitter followers from the SG1 and 2 postcode area.

By AgentEves8/1 06:25Wed Jan 8 06:25:56 2020In response to Re: 8 Years Ago TodayTop of thread

Views: 726

I think with the momentum we had and how much we loved that team, I think we blindly thought we would continue that momentum and we might make a fist of it. Looking at it practically, you're almost definitely right, but you never know. Burton managed a couple of seasons in the Championship, didn't they? With a few solid additions, who knows.

I also agree that one season in the Championship, even if we lost most games, would still have been enjoyable. And I think it would have been a much better end to that era than Westley leaving when he did and us ultimately feeling like we didn't finish the job.

If we went up, and lost every game, at least we would have known we went as far as we could have.

4 people like this 4 people   

Previous thread: HSC date now confirmed by Baldock9/1 12:00Thu Jan 9 12:00:34 2020view thread