ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: We don't only lose football matches by SpeckyToday 20:05Today at 20:05:55view thread

Oldest article: Boro v Oldham. Our biggest game of the season by WASP12/1 12:24Sun Jan 12 12:24:20 20201 person dislikes this 1 personview thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Where Are They Now? Manager Special by Celeron18/1 20:23Sat Jan 18 20:23:07 2020view thread

Making their mind up

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)16/1 10:55Thu Jan 16 10:55:50 2020

Views: 907

given our predicament compared to expectations how many of the current 'first team' are we expecting to stay, even if we stay up?

The big (not necessarily all good) players, like Cuthbert, Stokes, Guthrie, Digby, & Farman came here with promises of joining a squad to challenge for promotion. They mostly came from bigger teams and many have a history of winning promotion. The reality has of course, turned out a little differently. It's a little less sunny out there than the brochure promised. That's gotta hurt on a personal level, even if it's partly your fault, the natural reaction is to look elsewhere for a place to lay the blame.

If I were any one of those I'd be pushing my agent every day to secure me a move at the end of the season to a FL club with a bit more league stability. Where I thought a player of my pedigree deserved to be. I would be distancing myself from the shit around me as a defence mechanism.

If I had pyschologically reconciled myself that I probably didn't have a future here, that's gonna knock a few % off the level of fucks I give, and that % will increase as our position deteriorates, when effort levelsshould be getting higher as the reality precipice of relegation approaches.

That's where professional and personal pride really needs to kick in. We are a little adrift now. Player reactions over the next few games will be interesting. I expect some will drop off further. (Flight) . Whilst a few will step up (Fight)

Fight or flight... Both are natural reactions.

I need to read better books about sports Pyschology.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 10:56:54 on 16th January 2020
Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 10:57:51 on 16th January 2020

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: Making their mind up (O/T)

By Roulette Len17/1 09:57Fri Jan 17 09:57:03 2020In response to Making their mind upTop of thread

Views: 410

Apologies for the hijack.

As soon as I misread the subject title I thought of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-AzCsKoJXM

Thought we could do with some cheering up.

You gotta speed it up.

Re: Making their mind up

By Themessiah16/1 20:20Thu Jan 16 20:20:42 2020In response to Making their mind upTop of thread

Views: 557

Out of all of them Guthrie can fuck off rest can stay

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Roulette Len19/1 20:25Sun Jan 19 20:25:37 2020In response to Re: Making their mind upTop of thread

Views: 339

Can he hold the ball up?

He's gotta speed it up....

By Handyandy116/1 10:59Thu Jan 16 10:59:39 2020In response to Making their mind upTop of thread

Views: 804

It's strange. We rarely get thrashed, we just can't stop losing by the odd goal.

2 people like this 2 people   

By AgentEves16/1 16:03Thu Jan 16 16:03:16 2020In response to Re: Making their mind upTop of thread

Views: 676

I think this is why Westley said it just needs tweaking. Our defense is pretty good. Like you say, we rarely lose by more than one goal.

If we can figure out the midfield and start getting our strikers into better positions, I dont think we'll see a lot of resistance from the opposition. If we can get the goal to go ahead, I think most of them will crumble. Going into the last 10 mins at 0-0 is giving the other team hope.

If we can nick 1 goal per game, I can see us winning most games. Going into the last ten mins at 0-0 has become a psychological deficit, I think. If us fans are thinking "oh no, here we go again" then the players will be thinking it too. Where other teams are winning games, their confidence is higher, so going into into last 10 mins at 0-0 evokes a "we can win this" attitude, whereas us going into the last 10 mins at 0-0 evokes a "we need to hang on for dear life" attitude.

Crewe were the only team who I thought were a level above us, and I still think we didnt help ourselves with the dodgy formation.

Off on a bit of a tangent from the original post, but I do think psychology is playing a huge part in our poor results.

4 people like this 4 people   

By jayess16/1 21:11Thu Jan 16 21:11:45 2020In response to Re: Making their mind upTop of thread

Views: 490

The stats of this nightmare season really are extraordinary. We have a goalkeeper who should probably make the League Two team of the season, a variety of excellent central defenders and some decent full backs.
But goals are the currency that wins football matches and in that regard our pockets are empty.
We've scored twice in seven games since GW's return. One of those was an excellent finish by List on the end of a hoofball from Nuge; the other was a reward for CMS chasing down a defender's mistake. Creative assists: zero.
Parrett and Kennedy were supposed to be the duo to put that right. Instead, absolute fail. They've created SFA and I can't remember either of them getting a shot on target.
So, while we don't have a proven goalscorer, at this level anyway, blaming the front men isn't the answer (even if I would personally pay Guthrie to disappear and fuck up somebody else's club). Midfield has to change. If there is anything left in Phil's promotion kitty, we should use it to beg, steal or borrow a Chair, a Seddon, or an Amos before it's too late. If we don't start scoring, escape is impossible.

3 people like this 3 people   

Previous thread: To go or not to go by dippers115/1 16:37Wed Jan 15 16:37:53 2020view thread