ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Alphabet challenge by BaldockYesterday 22:21Yesterday at 22:21:44view thread

Oldest article: Oldham by WASP31/1 09:19Fri Jan 31 09:19:30 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: BoroMatt by Mercury 8822/2 21:27Sat Feb 22 21:27:50 2020view thread

When did it all go wrong?...the answer =

By JohnK15/2 17:32Sat Feb 15 17:32:10 2020

Views: 2349

8 July 2019...the consistent link in this awful season. How the hell does he still have a job?

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people dislike this 3 people

Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =

By Donnellyrd (reecedonnelly12@gmail.com)21/2 08:10Fri Feb 21 08:10:42 2020In response to When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 654

Just because he’s the constant this season. Doesn’t mean he’s the problem. Not saying he should be credited mind.

An extract from an article I did a while back

“In this absolute hell that has been the Stevenage 19/20 season, the reality is Stevenage should not be in this position. Not one person or action can have got Boro to this point. Speaking about the lack of a strong mentality under Sampson and the player's position issues under Westley doesn't make the recruitment drive under Dino, Leon & PW any more acceptable.
It takes numerous factors, people and one almighty train wreck to get to the point where we are staring relegation down the barrel after having promotion sights in August.“

We can’t blame in isolation. Well, we can. But we shouldn’t

However, I would have some rather pressing questions for Mr Wallace. AgentEves and Hollis both spot on with their thoughts there.

Edited by reecedonnelly12@gmail.com at 08:11:08 on 21st February 2020

By Gitts n Grattz20/2 09:11Thu Feb 20 09:11:51 2020In response to When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 853

Burger King taking the preservatives out of its Whoppers.

The year they’ve chosen to do this is the year we may not be able to preserve league status. Damn you Burger King! 🤴🏾

Makes me think of the line from Inglorious Basterds
“Now about this pickle we find ourselves in...”

2 people like this 2 people   

By AgentEves19/2 17:42Wed Feb 19 17:42:45 2020In response to When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1018

Some concluding thoughts from this thread...

a) Do we really need one particular scapegoat? Maybe this season has just been a perfect storm of shit all mixed up together. We've had one calamity after another which is likely the culmination of a long-term downward spiral. Which brings me onto my next point:

b) If we really need to pin it on one person, I still think a strong case can be made for Barry Webber. That was when things really started to change. We had started going backwards in Gary Smith's first full season in charge, despite a positive start to the season. If I remember correctly, it all came unraveled in October 2012. We lost 4-0 (?) at home to Swindon. It was my first game back after being away in Canada for two years (so technically this is all my fault). We then started a downward trajectory which resulted in Smith's dismissal, Westley MkIII and relegation from League One. The thing is, Westley actually turned things around the following season, yet because Barry Webber wanted to go in a different direction, Westley was fired. (I don't want to get into another debate about Westley, but sacking a manager after they just got you into the Playoffs seems somewhat strange to me.) We then hired Sheringham, which was a disaster, then Sarll, who was unremarkable, and finally Dino.

c) A lot of blame is being laid at the feet of Leon Hunter. With the statistics put forward by Thora, it's difficult to argue, in any capacity, that he's doing a good job. A manager with a 13% win rate would be sacked and would go down as the worst manager in our history. The question is, I don't think we blame him for being bad at his job, because truth be told, if he is bad at his job, then he should be relieved of his duties. Which brings me onto my last point...

d) Maybe Wallace really is the problem. It pains me to say this. I genuinely think the guy has Stevenage's best interests at heart. He has poured so much energy and effort into the club, not to mention money. He's invested sensibly, made us somewhat sustainable, and we've never had any financial worries, which is more than most clubs our size can say. That said, why is Leon Hunter still in a job? Because Wallace is keeping him there. Why was Barry Webber allowed to completely dismantle the culture that had been created in the many years previously? Because Wallace allowed him to. Why have we had a succession of diabolical managerial appointments? Because Wallace has hired them. Why do we have a reindeer on our club badge? Because Wallace signed off on it. He has brought a lot of great things to the club - the ground has been developed, as has the training ground, but he has also overseen some absolutely terrible decisions that have ultimately led to the position we are in now. Do I think he should sell up? Absolutely not. But I do think that maybe someone should be brought in to hire/fire managers who actually knows what is required to be a good manager (no idea who that would be). If Leon Hunter is Wallace's son-in-law (is that true?) and that's why he's being kept in a job, then that is arguably the most criminal of the lot.

Edited by AgentEves at 17:48:55 on 19th February 2020

11 people like this 11 people   

By jayess20/2 21:40Thu Feb 20 21:40:59 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 709

This is an excellent, reasoned piece. Hits the nail very much on the head.
An experienced Director of Football could be the answer (not just a glorified manager-in-chief) whose responsibilities embraced academy, recruitment, and the success (or otherwise) of the first team. Unfortunately I'm not sure Phil's strong suit is taking advice, or bowing to a greater knowledge.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Ratman4621/2 08:14Fri Feb 21 08:14:12 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 599

Should have put GW in that role instead of Manager

Edited by Ratman46 at 08:14:30 on 21st February 2020

By Pat (PatJ5)20/2 08:41Thu Feb 20 08:41:11 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 747

"Do we really need one particular scapegoat?"

No. Never. This has always annoyed me.

By Dave (daveadkins)19/2 20:22Wed Feb 19 20:22:23 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 848

I blame you for buggering off to Canada. That's when it all started to go wrong.

By Sev19/2 18:58Wed Feb 19 18:58:04 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 904

Not renewing GW's contract was where it began.
Bringing him back was where it continued.

Perhaps Revell is the start of where it goes right.

10 people like this 10 people   

By Pat (PatJ5)20/2 08:42Thu Feb 20 08:42:09 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 724

Not renewing GW's contract restarted us down a slope we're already been on...

By Puds (Chuds)19/2 19:33Wed Feb 19 19:33:17 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 861

YES!

By Ratman4619/2 19:16Wed Feb 19 19:16:47 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 854

Fingers crossed, so want the next 10 weeks to be good.

By Owen B19/2 18:19Wed Feb 19 18:19:15 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 904

I had a job interview for a job that changed the course of my career in May 2012, the day of the League 1 play off semi final 1st leg. We've been going steadily downhill ever since. Sorry lads.

By Thora19/2 18:06Wed Feb 19 18:06:08 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 911

Can someone get point 4 carved into stone, please?

"BuT hE sAvEd ThE cLuB"

Yeah, yeah. And everything I've said about him in the past (which AgentEves so succintly points out above), doesn't ignore that. He's been magnificent. From a business viewpoint. And I have a deep respect for him. And I know everytjing he's done has been with the success of this club at it's heart.

Howwwwwwwwever... the man has never (and I do mean never) made a decent managerial appointment off his own back. The one good decision he did make (Stimson - leave it, Chuds) was gift wrapped and dropped on his doorstep.

And as I said on Twitter a week or more ago, if GW can go from hero to zero, Phil can certainly go from hero to not quite hero.

6 people like this 6 people   

By Puds (Chuds)19/2 19:34Wed Feb 19 19:34:01 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 867

:).

Absolute ****, that guy. I said it from day one!

Leon Hunter

By Pat (PatJ5)17/2 15:36Mon Feb 17 15:36:09 2020In response to When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1703

and some crap managerial choices.

Re: Leon Hunter

By Deltic 2118/2 18:28Tue Feb 18 18:28:40 2020In response to Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1549

Does Leon Hunter actually have ANY legitimate football experience or is it just nepotism at play? Has he been responsible for any successes??

3 people like this 3 people   

By Freemo18/2 18:45Tue Feb 18 18:45:46 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1517

When did he start out? We got Godden, Chair, Seddon,
Cuthbert, Ogilvie and Amos in recent years. Suggests someone is doing at least some scouting.

By Thora19/2 13:41Wed Feb 19 13:41:38 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1162

I'm no football scout but I reckon even I could go to Premier League and Championship clubs and pick out players who'd do a job in League 2.

Let's play the game where loan finds count though... work those good loan players out as a %age of ALL players that have been through here since before and after his 2 week stint at Nottingham Forest before they sussed him out.

Actually, ignore loans, let's cover them and permies and just look at the last 5 years since that Play Off loss at Sheffield United.

We'll use BoroGuide... which makes it 155 players (though some of them will be youth and some were here before etc.) but I'd wager that number will be negligible.

Work out a %age of:

- Good signings on paper that turned out to be good;
- Good signings on paper that turned out to be shit;
- Unknown signings that turned out to be good;
- Unknown signings that turned out to be shit;
- Unknown signings that remained unknown.

Don't mean this to be a witch-hunt of players, we and they will know who was good and who wasn't, let's keep this to Leon.

The Proclaimer tells us that writing a list of names is a job well done for the Head Of Recruitment (and why wouldn't we believe The Proclaimer when he clearly knows more than he's letting on) so we'll assume that most of this list came directly from him.

It would be interesting to see the list of players from Leon's List that the responsible manager didn't sign.

Also worth noting that this INCLUDES NONE OF THE PRICKS THAT PLAYED FOR GARY SMITH.

I've bolded the ones I think turned out to be fit to wear the shirt and italiced the ones that felt were above average.

1 Aaron O'Connor
2 Adam El-Abd
3 Adam Marriott
4 Alex Reid
5 Alex Revell
6 Alex Samuel
7 Andrew Fox
8 Andronicos Georgiou
9 Armand Gnanduillet
10 Arthur Iontton
11 Ben Folami
12 Ben Jackson
13 Ben Kennedy - difficult
14 Ben Nugent
15 Ben Sheaf
16 Ben Wilmot
17 Blair Turgott
18 Bradley Pritchard
19 Brett Williams
20 Byron Harrison
21 Callum McFadzean
22 Callum Preston
23 Calum Dyson
24 Canice Carroll
25 Charley O'Keefe
26 Charlie Adams
27 Charlie Carter
28 Charlie Lakin
29 Charlie Lee
30 Charlie Wakefield
31 Chris Day
32 Chris Kettings
33 Chris Stokes
34 Chris Whelpdale
35 Connor Hunte
36 Connor Ogilvie
37 Connor Smith
38 Craig Mackail-Smith
39 Dale Gorman
40 Dan Kemp
41 Danny Newton
42 David McAllister
43 David Parkhouse
44 Dean Bowditch
45 Dean Parrett
46 Dean Wells
47 Deimantas Petravicius
48 Diaguely Dabo
49 Dipo Akinyemi
50 Donovan Makoma
51 Dylan Switters
52 Elijah Adebayo
53 Elliott List
54 Emmanuel Sonupe
55 Fraser Franks
56 George Casey
57 Greg Luer
58 Harry Beautyman
59 Harry McKirdy
60 Harry Voss
61 Henry Cowans
62 Ilias Chair
63 Jack Berman
64 Jack Jebb
65 Jack King
66 Jack Smith
67 Jack Storer
68 Jake Cassidy
69 Jake Hyde
70 Jake Mulraney
71 Jamal Campbell-Ryce
72 Jamar Loza
73 James Ball
74 James Ferry
75 Jamie Fielding
76 Jamie Gray
77 Jamie Jones
78 Jamie McCombe
79 Jamille Matt
80 Jason Cowley
81 Jerome Okimo
82 Jesse Joronen
83 Jobi McAnuff
84 Joe Fryer
85 Joe Leesley
86 Joe Leslie
87 Joe Lumley
88 Joe Martin
89 Joe White
90 Joel Byrom
91 Joel Rollinson
92 John Hunt
93 Johnny Goddard
94 Jonathan Smith
95 Jordan Gibson
96 Josh McQuoid
97 Kaylen Hinds
98 Keith Keane
99 Kelland Watts
100 Kenneth McEvoy
101 Kevin Lokko
102 Kevin Toner
103 Kgosi Ntlhe
104 Kurtis Guthrie
105 Kyle Wootton
106 Lee Cox
107 Liam Smyth
108 Luis Fernandez
109 Luke Amos
110 Luke Wade-Slater
111 Luke Wilkinson
112 Luther Wildlin
113 Mackye Townsend-West
114 Marcus Gouldbourne
115 Mark Hughes
116 Mark McKee
117 Matt Godden
118 Matthew Smyth
119 Michael Crowe
120 Michael Timlin
121 Michael Tonge
122 Moses Makasi
123 Nathan Kerr
124 Noor Husin
125 Offrande Zanzala
126 Oliver Byrne
127 Pat Hoban
128 Patrick Reading
129 Paul Digby
130 Paul Farman
131 Paul Field
132 Paul Taylor
133 Rohdell Gordon
134 Ronnie Henry
135 Rowan Liburd
136 Ryan Hedges
137 Ryan Johnson
138 Ryan Loft
139 Sacha Bastien
140 Sam French
141 Scott Cuthbert
142 Seny Dieng
143 Shaun Donnellan
144 Simeon Jackson
145 Steve Seddon
146 Steven Schumacher
147 Terence Vancooten
148 Tom Conlon

149 Tom Hitchcock
150 Tom King
151 Tom Pett
152 Tom Soares
153 Tyler Denton
154 Tyler Walker
155 Will Appleyard

9 people like this 9 people   

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)21/2 19:52Fri Feb 21 19:52:40 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 482

Ben Wilmot deserves better.

By Tucks21/2 20:17Fri Feb 21 20:17:41 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 465

He wasn’t outstanding when he played for us. We sold potential.

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)21/2 20:23Fri Feb 21 20:23:46 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 467

I think he comfortably meets the ‘turned out to be good’ category.

By Tucks21/2 20:27Fri Feb 21 20:27:18 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 475

I read that more as a turned out to be good while playing for us as opposed to what he’s gone on to.

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)22/2 15:54Sat Feb 22 15:54:07 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 350

He was excellent for us.

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)21/2 22:38Fri Feb 21 22:38:11 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 388

He was very comfortably above the level of acceptability when he was here.

By Loin Hunter (Paulio)21/2 22:40Fri Feb 21 22:40:55 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 392

Where did we get him from?

By Puds (Chuds)21/2 22:59Fri Feb 21 22:59:47 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 386

Our Academy.

The one we lose our status for, and funding for, with relegation from the FL.

By The Proclaimer20/2 00:58Thu Feb 20 00:58:20 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 810

I have no idea whether it would be easy, or hard, to pick out players that would do a job in league 2. Probably neither do you unless you have worked in football at a professional level.

I imagine there’s probably more to it than just footballing ability when you ask a young lad to leave multi-million pound facilities, pinging balls to Dele Alli and come and ask him to get smashed up at Exeter on a Tuesday night. I don’t think I could pick which ones will make it out of the ones they will let us have, but maybe you have more football knowledge than me.

I’m trying hard to be unemotional in evaluating a terrible season. A lot of people make a bunch of claims, and I’ve tried throughout my life not to accept claims without justification.

I think the way you’re approaching the below is quite smart.
Your classifications are subjective, but even if we move past that it’s impossible for us to make any judgements without knowing who LH was responsible for putting forward, and who came from the various management teams from the beginning. Your point that you don’t think the overall quantum of good players found is heeded; it certainly sounds pretty shit; however I have no idea what this ratio is like at other clubs, so can’t compare it.

this has been a depressing season. We have a woeful team for some reason - that is obvious. However, In another thread I postulated that if I was to start this season again from the beginning, I would still keep (even now)
Farman,
Cuthbert
Nugent
TVC
Carter
Lakin
List
Dabo
Leesley
List
Cassidy
Kemp
Newton

I don’t know whether I am just shit at judging football talent but I think there is a good L2 or higher player in each of the above. There’s half a squad there.

Edited by The Proclaimer at 03:25:50 on 20th February 2020

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))20/2 08:25Thu Feb 20 08:25:58 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 725

I love Sunshine on Leith

By Puds (Chuds)20/2 07:09Thu Feb 20 07:09:26 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 754

We were discussing this on the drive to Ware on Tuesday night for the HSC, and I was saying how odd it is that I still believe we have some decent players and, strangely, I actually quite like most of them, despite this season.

I just do not know how it has all gone so wrong.

By SFCfox22/2 10:23Sat Feb 22 10:23:32 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 359

We had a fucked up pre-season. I remember buzzing for Salford (A) until the team sheet came out.

Then PW jumped the gun (in my opinion) and fired Dino too soon. It was Dino's squad after all.

Then as Sampson was slowly turning things around, PW hires GW who felt the need to make 5 changes every game. Where's the consistancy?

Also, having an un-fit Scott Cuthbert has been detrimental. He's the voice and leadership of the team. Is there any suprise we fucked up 2nd half against Bradford? We let Salford score from a free header? We let Exeter score 2 piss poor goals without hik in the team.. I'd have him on the sidelines giving instructions to the back four all match if he isn't playing. The man is a class act.

Edited by SFCfox at 10:24:50 on 22nd February 2020
Edited by SFCfox at 10:25:09 on 22nd February 2020

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)22/2 15:53Sat Feb 22 15:53:12 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 348

Was Sampson turning things around? We were heading down under him too.

By Puds (Chuds)22/2 17:34Sat Feb 22 17:34:40 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 305

We were 23rd under him.

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)22/2 20:40Sat Feb 22 20:40:20 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 274

Salad days

By Loin Hunter (Paulio)22/2 10:26Sat Feb 22 10:26:41 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 355

It was Dino’s squad and he still couldn’t get a win out of it? Should have been sacked earlier.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Owen B22/2 10:25Sat Feb 22 10:25:36 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 362

I'm presuming the Dino vs Sampson 'thing' was going on, so presume that was factored into the decision to fire Dino sooner rather than later.

By Tucks20/2 09:46Thu Feb 20 09:46:34 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 728

It’s like a recipe in many ways. You could have a plethora of amazing individual ingredients but they might not complement each other. You can gather some potatoes, carrots and other pretty plain vegetables and put them together to make a great soup. In League Two you’re better served with soup than an attempt at haute cuisine too.

By Pat (PatJ5)20/2 09:48Thu Feb 20 09:48:08 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 714

Souper.

By Tucks20/2 09:56Thu Feb 20 09:56:14 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 713

That was far too close to Sonupe for my liking...

By The Proclaimer20/2 11:12Thu Feb 20 11:12:58 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 691

Oh yeah - I may even keep Sonupe too because he’s very quick.

It’s not often you see great pace and great quality at league 2.

It’s near impossible to coach great pace - ive read that the science behind it relies on having certain type of muscle fibre and explosiveness (After having good technique obviously) but it is easier to coach quality with the right coaches

Edited by The Proclaimer at 11:19:05 on 20th February 2020

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)20/2 11:22Thu Feb 20 11:22:23 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 682

I’d keep Farmen(who I don’t think will stay) and fuck the rest of them off.

Nice fresh start for next season.

By Freemo20/2 12:23Thu Feb 20 12:23:32 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 675

Whilst there's about seven I'd keep on, I can't pick holes out of this either.

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)20/2 12:34Thu Feb 20 12:34:55 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 668

Yep. It’s not that I don’t think some of them have the ability to succeed at this level, I just think this season’s been a complete shit show that I don’t think many of these players will recover from it for us.

By Ratman4620/2 12:47Thu Feb 20 12:47:41 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 664

Got to get rid of the losing mentality if we do go down

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)20/2 12:48Thu Feb 20 12:48:23 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 668

Or stay up.

By Owen B20/2 07:11Thu Feb 20 07:11:25 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 729

Can't put your finger on it?

By Ratman4620/2 08:24Thu Feb 20 08:24:51 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 712

Poor coaching?

By Freemo20/2 06:38Thu Feb 20 06:38:09 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 722

This is it though, four of them joined in January, one has been long term injured with another seemingly injured often, and two of them are the same player. Can't put an 11 out from that.

By Tucks19/2 17:07Wed Feb 19 17:07:03 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 915

5 Alex Revell
6 Alex Samuel
9 Armand Gnanduillet
27 Charlie Carter
28 Charlie Lakin

29 Charlie Lee
34 Chris Whelpdale
36 Connor Ogilvie
41 Danny Newton

42 David McAllister - pre-injury
45 Dean Parrett - first spell
46 Dean Wells
55 Fraser Franks

59 Harry McKirdy
62 Ilias Chair
65 Jack King

77 Jamie Jones
80 Jason Cowley
83 Jobi McAnuff

109 Luke Amos
111 Luke Wilkinson
117 Matt Godden
141 Scott Cuthbert
145 Steve Seddon

146 Steven Schumacher
150 Tom King

151 Tom Pett
154 Tyler Walker

I don’t class Kennedy as a player recruited by Hunter, he came through the youth system. His breakthrough year would be in bold, best not to mention the rest.

Byron Harrison (first spell), Daisy, Joel and Ronnie all originally came to the club pre-Hunter. Those that came back were known quantities so I’m giving Leon no credit for their signing.

By drinksbreak (thedrinksbreak)19/2 17:41Wed Feb 19 17:41:52 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 858

I don’t class Kennedy as a player recruited by Hunter, he came through the youth system. His breakthrough year would be in bold, best not to mention the rest.

It's hard to argue with that. I just think back through all the good shit and bad shit, and it's the good shit from him I remember more.

By Freemo19/2 17:27Wed Feb 19 17:27:28 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 867

Y'all forgot about Brunt.

By Puds (Chuds)19/2 14:26Wed Feb 19 14:26:57 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 953

Who the fuck is Harry Voss?!

I know the other 154. I am a dweeb.

Edit: Okay, he was only with us on a one month loan deal and never played. No wonder I don't remember him.

Edited by Chuds at 14:34:47 on 19th February 2020

By Tucks19/2 14:39Wed Feb 19 14:39:55 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 938

Spurs loan keeper I believe.

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)19/2 14:29Wed Feb 19 14:29:50 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 898

Vossy Bop

By Tucks19/2 14:21Wed Feb 19 14:21:06 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 893

Will come back with a proper answer to this but I’d say a fair few could be knocked off of that list on account of being at the club pre-Hunter (his LinkedIn profile, easily found via google, suggests he has been at the club barring the spell with Forest since January 2012), signed during the 2015 summer transfer window, while he was at Forest, or being youth prospects (I assume Hunter isn’t involved in youth recruitment).

By drinksbreak (thedrinksbreak)19/2 14:18Wed Feb 19 14:18:08 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 975

Fit to wear the shirt: 13/155 (9%)
Above Average: 12/155 (8%)
Shit: 130/155 (83%)

Alex Revell
Alex Samuel
Ben Kennedy
Ben Nugent
Ben Wilmot
Charlie Carter
Charlie Lee
Chris Day
Chris Whelpdale - First time around.
Danny Newton
Dean Parrett
Dean Wells
Diaguely Dabo
Elliott List
Fraser Franks
Ilias Chair
Luke Amos
Luke Wilkinson
Matt Godden
Paul Farman
Scott Cuthbert
Steve Seddon
Tom Conlon
Tom Pett
Tyler Walker

By Pat (PatJ5)19/2 14:23Wed Feb 19 14:23:09 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 891

See this first time posters? This is how to make your debut.

None of this "starting your own nonsense thread spouting absolute bollocks", no. A reasoned interesting reply to an ongoing discussion. Top stuff.

By drinksbreak (thedrinksbreak)19/2 17:28Wed Feb 19 17:28:05 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 860

Thanks Pat.

By Pat (PatJ5)19/2 14:04Wed Feb 19 14:04:53 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 939

A hundred and fifty five. Jesus Christ!

By SFCfox19/2 14:00Wed Feb 19 14:00:11 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 902

I love it how Adam Marriott always manages to find himself on the list of all time great signing despite being injured and only playing a handful of games.

Dave McCallister was good (in my opinion) and Dean Parrett Mk 1 was pretty good.

Also, harsh on Kenners. He's consistantly scored goals and provided assists ever since he came in to the team.

All my opinions of course :)

By Thora19/2 14:04Wed Feb 19 14:04:50 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 897

I've tried to limit it to the performances in the last 5 years. Dean Parrett Mk1 would have been in bold.

I rated Dave McCallister too, actually now you've said it.

Whilst we're quibbling about a few players in 155 though, my point remains.

By Freemo19/2 13:55Wed Feb 19 13:55:46 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 918

Please take this list down, as it is both triggering and massive spoilers for future Player Your Cards Right.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/2 13:53Wed Feb 19 13:53:52 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 907

Blimey, that's some lunch hour they give you at your place :-)

Apart from some minor nit-picking - which would be incredibly minor - I'm more or less on board with this. Apart from your lack of a conclusion.

Edit: just seen your summation. Which still leaves room for a conclusion: Leon Hunter, doing a worthwhile job or rampant nepotism at work?

Edited by Geoff Wode at 13:55:20 on 19th February 2020

By Thora19/2 13:56Wed Feb 19 13:56:41 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 909

Not for me to say, all I can say is what I said at the time. Look at his ears.

EDIT: This is a reference to The Office before someone says I'm digging out Leon's appearance. I've never seen him.

Edited by Thora at 13:57:12 on 19th February 2020
Edited by Thora at 13:57:27 on 19th February 2020

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/2 14:00Wed Feb 19 14:00:26 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 905

I've heard he speaks fluent Vulcan.

By Thora19/2 13:53Wed Feb 19 13:53:44 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 918

So, imo, 21 of 155 (13%) fit to wear the shirt with 6 (28% of the 21 and 4% of the 155) of those loans being loans from higher up the pyramid and 5/6 (~25% of the 21 and ~4% of the 155) of them having been here already from previous Westley squads.

Which, I believe, leaves 10/11 players of 155. Or ~7%

Consider this my thesis.

By Freemo19/2 15:25Wed Feb 19 15:25:15 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 869

One time in fifteen it works every time.

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)19/2 14:33Wed Feb 19 14:33:32 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 871

Fuck me.

That is both a request and a statement.

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)18/2 23:17Tue Feb 18 23:17:04 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1198

Ogilvie loan. Amos loan. Chair loan. Seddon loan.

By The Proclaimer19/2 00:07Wed Feb 19 00:07:52 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1220

What’s that got to do with anything?
Someone has to be responsible for selecting them, presenting them as options and getting them to the club.

It is the manager that ultimately makes the final decision on players.

Edited by The Proclaimer at 00:10:44 on 19th February 2020

By Thora19/2 13:10Wed Feb 19 13:10:38 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 986

Thanks, Phil.

By The Proclaimer20/2 00:31Thu Feb 20 00:31:33 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 737

👍

By Tucks19/2 07:38Wed Feb 19 07:38:55 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1111

So basically from a list of absolute garbage that has been presented to our managers about six of the players have ended up half decent. Great.

By Freemo19/2 08:10Wed Feb 19 08:10:08 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1066

The question was has he had any successes, not have there been anything like enough of them.

By Tucks19/2 08:30Wed Feb 19 08:30:54 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1067

Was more an answer to Proclaimer’s point about the recruitment of players. Seemingly the only thing he’s taken an interest in recently...

By The Proclaimer19/2 12:36Wed Feb 19 12:36:44 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 995

that’s not true....

I also agreed with chuds about Revs

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)19/2 01:00Wed Feb 19 01:00:24 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1117

What’s being able to borrow a player from a higher club(something we’ve done for years before Hunter) got to do with it?

By Freemo18/2 23:31Tue Feb 18 23:31:35 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1147

Suggests someone at the club can identify talent to some degree, just terrible at ones we can actually afford.

What we seem to have forgotten to do is sign players like Franks or Pett who inspire endless debate about their merits but ultimately get by as League 2 players.

By Deltic 2118/2 23:03Tue Feb 18 23:03:50 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1163

Oh, OK. Cool. My question was genuine, but if you put it like that, I can see what you mean. Won’t be so hard on him now! 😊

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)18/2 18:30Tue Feb 18 18:30:41 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1459

I think he has been a youth scout somewhere.

Wonder if he calls Phil ‘Dad’.

By Ratman4618/2 21:35Tue Feb 18 21:35:05 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 1253

Daddy

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))19/2 13:05Wed Feb 19 13:05:26 2020In response to Re: Leon HunterTop of thread

Views: 960

Big Daddy

By Boromatt15/2 17:42Sat Feb 15 17:42:49 2020In response to When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1911

Do you mean Sampson? If so, I thought Mark did a good job when in charge. Made us hard to beat, got us a few wins and kept quite a lot of clean sheets.

8 people like this 8 people   5 people dislike this 5 people

By Jonnym818/2 20:51Tue Feb 18 20:51:10 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1323

And what about his time here overall since July? Shall we just ignore that because we drew a few games when he was in charge?

By SFCfox18/2 20:58Tue Feb 18 20:58:09 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1272

Won more than Westley. Where was Graham's home wins? He had enough chances.

1 person likes this 1 person   3 people dislike this 3 people

By Jonnym818/2 22:45Tue Feb 18 22:45:53 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1149

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make?

By AgentEves18/2 21:02Tue Feb 18 21:02:22 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1247

Enlighten me; what does Westley have to do with a debate about whether Sampson is the cause of the mess we are in?

Westley came in a long time after the rot had set in. He did nothing to turn it around, but you cannot in good conscience say that he is the reason we are in this mess.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Owen B19/2 05:38Wed Feb 19 05:38:16 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1067

I mean, you're all arguing about degrees of terrible. We were crap under Dino, crap under Sampson and crap under GW. We're still crap.

By Jonnym819/2 06:53Wed Feb 19 06:53:10 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1060

I think that’s the point that Agenteves and I are making, and has been my confusion all along when people were banging on about sticking with Sampson.

By SFCfox19/2 07:19Wed Feb 19 07:19:57 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1046

I'd have given him a transfer window to bring in his own players.

By Owen B19/2 07:25Wed Feb 19 07:25:07 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1064

To be fair, I totally get this argument.

By Jonnym819/2 07:28Wed Feb 19 07:28:22 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1061

Wasn’t he involved in summer recruitment?

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)19/2 20:35Wed Feb 19 20:35:22 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 759

Only that time he definetly never said he didn't want that Nigerian defender.

By Puds (Chuds)19/2 09:02Wed Feb 19 09:02:14 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1031

That is your worst argument yet.

I know you absolutely hate the guy but come on!

By Jonnym819/2 11:20Wed Feb 19 11:20:25 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1024

Don’t hate him. Not at all. Do I think his coaching and presence at the club has been a success - absolutely not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but was the whole FA charge not about a conversation in which he was involved regarding recruitment of a player? But sure, he had nothing to do with anything that is wrong with our situation if it suits the narrative.

By Freemo19/2 20:39Wed Feb 19 20:39:21 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 764

Yes, Mark was present, but not involved. Leon was pulling out League Two Panini stickers and Dino was throwing darts at them.

By Owen B19/2 07:31Wed Feb 19 07:31:02 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1065

I would have thought it was mainly Dino and Leon. The more I hear, the more I'm pinning this season on Dino, seems like a rather unsavoury character after all.

By Owen B19/2 06:55Wed Feb 19 06:55:01 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1058

Yep, agree. Make the change because we were shit. The change didn't work out and the results are a bit shitter than before. I'd still have sacked a manager with under 1 point per game, arguing otherwise is baffling.

By Ratman4618/2 21:38Tue Feb 18 21:38:15 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1208

One of the best coaches there is.

Maybe the players should start to listen to him, they clearly haven't been since July if that is the case.

By SFCfox15/2 17:42Sat Feb 15 17:42:32 2020In response to When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1797

7 defeats on the bounce? The buck now stops with GW.

2 people like this 2 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By MSFC (MSFC)15/2 17:48Sat Feb 15 17:48:25 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1764

Totally agree. This is another attempt to deflect blame from GW#Genius.

2 people like this 2 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

By AgentEves18/2 21:05Tue Feb 18 21:05:22 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1215

Westley was brought in BECAUSE we were bottom of the league.

How can it possibly be his fault that we were bottom of the league before he came in? As I said above, he did nothing to turn things around, but the thread is titled "When did it all go wrong" and to answer that it's Westley's fault is nothing short of moronic.

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)15/2 17:35Sat Feb 15 17:35:12 2020In response to When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1825

Is the answer Keef?

By Handyandy115/2 17:44Sat Feb 15 17:44:15 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 1759

Still blame the badge ;-)

By Deltic 2119/2 23:43Wed Feb 19 23:43:17 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 735

It’s the Tree Gods. They control everything. Been telling you this for years.

By East Coast Boro20/2 10:58Thu Feb 20 10:58:24 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 688

"t’s the Tree Gods. They control everything."

you'd think people would have twigged it by now

By Deltic 2120/2 23:33Thu Feb 20 23:33:29 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 553

B-boom, tish!

By P-Dizzle (Paulio)20/2 12:35Thu Feb 20 12:35:15 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 649

Ooh someone’s branching out with their humour.

By Owen B20/2 12:36Thu Feb 20 12:36:33 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 656

Leaf him alone.

By Deltic 2120/2 23:34Thu Feb 20 23:34:33 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 566

Mistreating the trees was definitely the root of the problem.

By Dino Maamria's Goat. (Gaz Murray)21/2 00:00Fri Feb 21 00:00:23 2020In response to Re: When did it all go wrong?...the answer =Top of thread

Views: 601

I'm pining for more theories as to when things went wrong.

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: Predictions by Boromatt22/2 08:29Sat Feb 22 08:29:59 2020view thread