ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: EFL to appeal... by AndyCYesterday 23:59Yesterday at 23:59:04view thread

Oldest article: Oh well... by RockyBottom7/3 16:35Sat Mar 7 16:35:56 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Null And Void by Roulette Len23/4 06:58Thu Apr 23 06:58:38 2020view thread

EFL message

By Hitchin Callling17/4 11:49Fri Apr 17 11:49:51 2020

Views: 2049

www.stevenagefc.com/news/2020/april/efl-letter-to-supporters-coronavirus-covid-19-sky-bet-league-two-efl-english-football-league-friday-17th-april-2020/

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: EFL message

By FootyIQ (HT-FT)22/4 09:41Wed Apr 22 09:41:11 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 489

So yesterday’s EFL owners meeting takes us a step closer to voiding the season as the only reasonable option with the other being completed as stands which is open to litigation.

As I see it, completing the season was all about INTEGRITY so that Liverpool could win the premier league on the pitch.

It is highly unlikely that the season will resume behind closed doors in June, so if clubs like ours release 20+ players and replace them with a different squad to complete the season then integrity will be non existent. I think most clubs would fit in to this or a similar scenario.

So if the league is not started by June it should be voided to give clarity to owners so they can plan for the following season whenever that may be.

By Hitchin Callling22/4 09:47Wed Apr 22 09:47:44 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 474

Dutch on verge on cancelling there premiership season to add to Belguim.So this may be start of a domino effect across all leagues.

By Owen B22/4 12:00Wed Apr 22 12:00:28 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 435

Have the Dutch league said whether they are voiding or is it based on the current table/PPG. Belgium declared Club Bruges as champions based on the table.

By Howyadoinoutthere22/4 10:27Wed Apr 22 10:27:28 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 500

Premiership and Championship very reliant upon TV money and target a global audience. They need to complete the season to get their hands on very substantial sums (Premier League alone = £760m?).

Leagues 1, 2 and National League very reliant upon gate receipts, plus crumbs from the Premiership table, so attempts to complete the season too costly surely. Target audience not global so limited demand to watch remaining games played behind closed doors and streamed.

In my opinion, it's time for Leagues 1, 2 and National to align, consider regionalisation, pay caps and going back to part time. Trying to keep aligned with Premiership and Championship structures and processes a ruinous prospect.

By Puds (Chuds)22/4 12:41Wed Apr 22 12:41:47 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 448

I have been discussing regionalising the leagues on Twitter since a week or two ago. It will make very little difference IMO.

If you have north and south you will still have plenty of mileage and hotel costs (Plymouth, Exeter, Yeovil, Torquay etc.). You won't see any noticeable increase in away attendances as you will still have small clubs that bring a low number of fans, just like some northern ones. And you will miss out on some bigger away followings from the likes of Bradford and other bigger northern sides we have played. Just because it is 90 mins or two hours away instead of three hours won't make a difference to most fans, they would either go to both or go to neither. And I would much rather drive north up the A1 than have to go via the M25 to games. You would also reduce the number of teams changing each season, so the division would be even more stale and boring than it is now. And you would have a reduced chance of promotion (also relegation).

The Championship clubs wouldn't accept more clubs being relegated, so with more divisions feeding into the one division you have fewer promotion spots available in your league. Say we have a north and south feeding into The Championship. The best you would have would be the champion goes up and then you have playoffs. The two playoff winners would then need to play each other in one final game for that third promotion spot. So less chance of us going up. At the other end you would have two coming up from the Conf, so only the bottom club drops form each. There will be a lot of games at the end of seasons with absolutely nothing to play for.

So the only way to reduce the travel further is to regionalise further. So say we have three divisions instead of two. That will cut travel costs, however it will make promotion even worse. As you still have three spots feeding into the one division. So you would only have one side going up. That would be awful.

And finally, considering how much travel costs actually are. I know a couple of people who work(ed) for Carlisle for a while, and their most expensive trip to Plymouth cost them around £3k for everything. Their annual travels costs they reckoned were around £50-60k. That is a pittance when compared to all the other costs of football, particularly wages. That is the salary of one player. So you really want to totally adjust the structure of English football and worsen the leagues for the sake of reducing a playing squad by one player?

In theory, without considering any of the details, regionalising seems a good idea. But if you consider all the things it would impact, it soon becomes unnecessary and would make the leagues far worse with little actual reward. The ONLY way to make football sustainable is to reduce the wages of the players. Nothing else will have a big enough impact.

Edited by Chuds at 12:42:23 on 22nd April 2020

By Freemo22/4 15:02Wed Apr 22 15:02:40 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 351

Since I live up north and generally attend the games with the least Boro fans at them, regionalisation would be the end for me, as well as the feeling that I am seeing secret matches.

By Howyadoinoutthere22/4 13:04Wed Apr 22 13:04:55 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 423

Regionalisation could support clubs being part time?

My broader point is that Leagues 1, 2 and the National leagues should be considering what might work best for them, both now and in the future. Right now, Premiership and Championship want to finish the season because of the tv money but this isn't necessarily what's best for L1, L2 & National, hence the suggestion of refocusing on the needs of this 'mid-tier' group rather than going along with solutions driven by Premiership and Championship needs.

By Puds (Chuds)22/4 13:40Wed Apr 22 13:40:33 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 388

Yeah, I got that, but wanted to add why I don't view it as being the answer in any way to the current situation and that seemed a good place as other replies were about regionalised leagues.

I don't see any way that those leagues will ever become part time now, whether or not it would be the right thing. Football has moved on beyond that point other than very low down. And even this won't see a return to that.

Salaries might (need to) reduce, but not going to happen to the extent of being PT.

National League Update

By Hitchin Callling22/4 13:52Wed Apr 22 13:52:07 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 388

Finished.Now to decide what happens next

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))22/4 12:00Wed Apr 22 12:00:01 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 404

Regional leagues will follow

By jayess22/4 11:17Wed Apr 22 11:17:04 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 414

'it's time for Leagues 1, 2 and National to align, consider regionalisation, pay caps and going back to part time. Trying to keep aligned with Premiership and Championship structures and processes a ruinous prospect.'

I can see the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth signing up to that. We may be looking at a different football landscape after this in the short term, but it won't be long before (over) ambitious owners are pushing the financial boundaries again.

By the way, shouldn't you call yourself howyadoinINthere?

By Mercury 8822/4 11:08Wed Apr 22 11:08:19 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 445

In my opinion I think the national league should merge with league 2 but have it regionalised so its league 2 North League 2 South.

Re: EFL message -UPDATE

By Hitchin Callling21/4 08:19Tue Apr 21 08:19:31 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1110

Covers a lot of what we have been saying-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52360266

By AgentEves21/4 22:24Tue Apr 21 22:24:18 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 562

Has anyone mentioned/considered the possibility that if players go onto rolling contracts after June 30, that they just cut their contracts/refuse to play, and clubs get left with no players (or we end up with a Wild West of players moving to whoever offers to pay them the most money that week)?

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)21/4 22:29Tue Apr 21 22:29:18 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 553

PW in an interview today suggested that a significant proportion of our players who will be out of contract would likely refuse to extend / play on non contract terms.

And I wouldn't really blame them. Why risk a potential new contract theough getting injured playing for us in a no-hope match behind closed doors.

They've got families and mortgages to think about.

By Paulio21/4 23:23Tue Apr 21 23:23:18 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 560

Might stand a chance with a new squad.

By Sev21/4 22:28Tue Apr 21 22:28:52 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 548

I'll play left mid if they need me. Won't affect the results.

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)21/4 22:30Tue Apr 21 22:30:08 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 563

I'll play right back, not crossing the half way line though, or tracking back.

By East Coast Boro22/4 10:59Wed Apr 22 10:59:00 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 428

Id be left back .... in the changing room !

By Owen B21/4 09:57Tue Apr 21 09:57:27 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 929

It's an absolute mess. It seems pointless discussing the possibility of finishing the season by playing the remaining games, as no one knows when any form of normality will return. They need to focus on whether the season is null and voided or some other measure used to decide the outcome (PPG being the one most often cited). Obviously, from our point of view, we're buggered if it goes on PPG rather than the season being scrapped.

By Hitchin Callling21/4 10:17Tue Apr 21 10:17:43 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 910

Interesting the Brighton chairman recently said it would not be fair if a club got relegated from the premiership on PPG. I assume then this "fairness" should then apply across the board ?

By Owen B21/4 10:21Tue Apr 21 10:21:14 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 884

There's going to be a lot of this, especially if a club is going to strongly positively/negatively affected by a particular outcome. For example, I could see Liverpool coming out strongly against null and voiding the season.

By Jonnym821/4 12:12Tue Apr 21 12:12:22 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 848

PPG to establish finish.

No relegation.

Promote teams in automatic places.

There’s no perfect solution and all will be open to challenge, but some clarity would be nice.

By Sev21/4 13:55Tue Apr 21 13:55:14 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 822

PPG really offends me. I have a real issue with it being seen as the obvious or fair solution.

For a start it only actually changes anything where a different number of games have been played. It's just a scaling up so you might as well not even bother.

Where is does impact is when a team has a game in hand. But take our league as an example. Swindon and Cheltenham have a game in hand so would get the equivalent of 1.9 and 1.7 points for that game based in PPG. But what if that game in hand was against each other? In reality one team would get 3 and one none or both share. So it's not realistic to give both side almost 2 points for it.

Thirdly, when a quarter of the games are left it doesn't take into account any sort of form or difficulty of remaining fixtures.

You might as well just say the table stands as it is than use PPG. Both are equally unfair.

I'd take it combined with your other measures though. (Wasn't disagreeing with you, just ranting about PPG alone)

By Jonnym821/4 14:55Tue Apr 21 14:55:42 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 748

It’s far from ideal and Far from perfect. Given where we are at, this, iI think is the ‘fairest’ way of managing the situation. I don’t see anyway games can be played safely behind closed doors, particularly in league one and two.
Take all of your points though, and don’t disagree with them.

By Puds (Chuds)21/4 15:14Tue Apr 21 15:14:43 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 803

I think if it wasn't for twats like Darragh McAnthony mouthing off about suing everybody then we would see things being voided far sooner.

He would be more than happy to see multiple clubs go bust in a desperate attempt to complete the season than have it end now so everybody knows where they stand and and so everybody has the best chance of surviving.

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)21/4 17:57Tue Apr 21 17:57:28 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 702

He's a bit miffed on Twitter... 😏

By Puds (Chuds)21/4 18:47Tue Apr 21 18:47:52 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 650

If it does go ahead I hope they lose in the playoffs in the most painful way possible.

By Owen B21/4 18:55Tue Apr 21 18:55:26 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 655

They should vote on how to end the season, but only let clubs who wouldn't be affected by any outcome vote.

By Jonnym821/4 15:24Tue Apr 21 15:24:09 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 789

I agree.

I was all for the season being completed but I just cannot see anyway in which it can be completed with where we are at this point, more so if fans cannot attend games.

By Puds (Chuds)21/4 13:45Tue Apr 21 13:45:54 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 795

That is the only non-voided solution I could accept.

By Puds (Chuds)21/4 10:41Tue Apr 21 10:41:43 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 854

Brighton wouldn't go down by any measure other than the season continuing though, so other than losing a derby match against Bournemouth (who would go down on GD based on PPG) he has no bias to his comments.

And he is, of course, correct. You simply cannot relegate clubs with games left where they could stay up. The financial implications are too great to not afford them the opportunity to save themselves.

By Owen B21/4 10:46Tue Apr 21 10:46:36 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 821

Errors like that make me glad the likes/dislikes were disabled...

By Puds (Chuds)21/4 10:48Tue Apr 21 10:48:23 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 824

I only know because I have a bet at pretty decent odds on Brighton going down, which was starting to look good as their form was abysmal and they were dropping like a stone.

By Owen B21/4 10:56Tue Apr 21 10:56:22 2020In response to Re: EFL message -UPDATETop of thread

Views: 837

I'm still fuming Skybet didn't pay out on GW being appointed 'next permanent manager'. Dicks.

By chazofazo (Mr Hall)18/4 09:57Sat Apr 18 09:57:23 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1308

Honestly, hundreds dying every day and yet this idiot still talk of a conclusion to a bloody football season.

Just void it. Plain and simple. Promotion to clubs in the automatic places, no relegation, removing the threat of litigation for lost revenues.

Deduct from future payment of TV money to clubs, what has already been paid for the remainder of this season.

Allow players contracts to end, so that they can source their employment for next season, without injury, which is a real threat if made to play 9 games in 28 days, increasing the chances of re employment in the lower leagues.

Give clubs the chance to re arrange finances to see if they still have a viable business going forward.

Football behind closed doors is a betrayal of all it is mean't to stand for.

By East Coast Boro19/4 12:47Sun Apr 19 12:47:43 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1122

" Promotion to clubs in the automatic places, no relegation"
How will that work? A premier league of 22? Can't see the PL20 having their slice of the TV golden egg money reduced tbh
Its all about the money . We the Fans and the EFL clubs can just feck off as far as they are concerned sadly

By SFCfox19/4 13:15Sun Apr 19 13:15:19 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1105

Why feck? Are the EFL all Irish?

By Mr Happy SFC18/4 12:40Sat Apr 18 12:40:10 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1211

If there were still a like button, I would use it here.

By jayess18/4 10:22Sat Apr 18 10:22:46 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1269

Absolutely correct and perfectly expressed.

By Dave (daveadkins)18/4 11:50Sat Apr 18 11:50:39 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1218

I'll disagree. Needs swear words.

By jayess18/4 11:54Sat Apr 18 11:54:26 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1236

Fuck me, you're right.

By Freemo18/4 14:30Sat Apr 18 14:30:12 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1180

Players should refuse any level of testing not available in the general population, which would likely mean no 2020/21 season either.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)17/4 16:02Fri Apr 17 16:02:39 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1549

Absolute pump.

By Puds (Chuds)17/4 15:00Fri Apr 17 15:00:14 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1597

Classic EFL.

Clueless at governing their competitions and only interested in money. Desperate to finish it by any means to get the money and avoid having to actually make a big decision themselves, regardless of the wishes of their member clubs.

By Bankerbob17/4 17:10Fri Apr 17 17:10:09 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1495

Where the f*** is the 'like' button when you need it?!!!

By Paulio17/4 23:19Fri Apr 17 23:19:33 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1350

Why do you need a like button?

By Deltic 2118/4 11:12Sat Apr 18 11:12:44 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1260

So I can vote for myself. No one else seems to. 🙁

By Paulio18/4 13:31Sat Apr 18 13:31:46 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1193

Just create another username to agree with yourself. Others do it.

By Deltic 2120/4 00:07Mon Apr 20 00:07:32 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1012

Oh yeah! Great tip, thanks. Do you suppose anyone will realise it’s me if I go with Deltic22?? 🤔

By East Coast Boro20/4 00:52Mon Apr 20 00:52:20 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 988

try 60108

By Owen B18/4 13:33Sat Apr 18 13:33:15 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1187

Call them Mr Fish.

By Paulio18/4 15:19Sat Apr 18 15:19:23 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1135

👀

By Ratman4617/4 23:36Fri Apr 17 23:36:13 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1318

👍

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)17/4 17:45Fri Apr 17 17:45:48 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1443

It's social distancing

By Owen B17/4 13:20Fri Apr 17 13:20:06 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1634

That letter is at least 87 paragraphs too long.

By Bragbury10617/4 16:03Fri Apr 17 16:03:18 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1507

good job i did not write it i would have had only 7 paragraphs.

By Donnellyrd (reecedonnelly12@gmail.com)17/4 12:53Fri Apr 17 12:53:03 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1642

Parry says the games would be streamed for free

What about the sides reliant on Matchday revenue or had other streams taken away?

In the absence of money from the EFL which is NOT a loan. You are screwing so many clubs over

16 clubs wanting the league to finish immediately will only go up. There’s already 12 in League Two apparently

Over 50% of League 2 players are out of contract in 8 weeks

Over 65% of League 1 clubs players are out of contract in 8 weeks

EFL need to get real

By Borojim17/4 15:01Fri Apr 17 15:01:58 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1550

Play games without crowds. Will that be possible. If because of safety you play behind closed doors, what about player social distancing. If its unsafe for me to stand with my mates then player contact must also be unsafe. No jokes about our defence has not made contact all season this is a serious point.

But while the death toll grimly rises surely we have to get this virus under control. As seems a vaccine is some time away then mass entertaining events are a distant dream as is seeing our team play in what ever division we end up in.

Stay Safe.

By Jonnym818/4 09:22Sat Apr 18 09:22:28 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1242

Seems completely implausible.

Also not sure how this helps clubs with lost finances from gate receipts?

By Paulio17/4 12:37Fri Apr 17 12:37:53 2020In response to EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1646

Load of shit.

By Richie Rich C17/4 15:14Fri Apr 17 15:14:32 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1582

If the EFL go ahead and play matches while social distancing is still a real thing and The virus as such is a threat , then that’s football dead for me. The thought of them completing the season is more important than the health of the players and officials involved would clearly demonstrate the game is purely about the commercial and no longer about the players, fans or it’s roots. The season should be ended now and all involved should respect that players are people and not commodities.

By Yogi20/4 10:57Mon Apr 20 10:57:42 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 977

Agree 100%

By Mr Happy SFC18/4 12:45Sat Apr 18 12:45:28 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1177

Exactly.

By Ratman4617/4 23:38Fri Apr 17 23:38:15 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1326

👍

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))17/4 20:56Fri Apr 17 20:56:30 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1357

Agree

And it would be impossible anyway. There will have to be German levels of progress for there to be any football played before September

By Borojim17/4 17:38Fri Apr 17 17:38:26 2020In response to Re: EFL message Top of thread

Views: 1449

Spot on Ritchie. Well put.

Previous thread: WATK 68453935 by Tucks21/4 09:05Tue Apr 21 09:05:46 2020view thread