ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: NL Update by FreemoToday 21:36Today at 21:36:09view thread

Oldest article: Twelve games by P-Dizzle15/2 16:39Sat Feb 15 16:39:48 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Poor Man Utd by Borojim21/5 17:53Thu May 21 17:53:42 2020view thread

Salary Cap next season

By Bankerbob20/5 12:24Wed May 20 12:24:40 2020

Views: 1110

It's been proposed that squads should be limited in size for 20/21, and for L2 a salary cap of £1.25 million, Anyone know what our salary budget was this year and whether we can manage easily on that figure next year?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Salary Cap next season

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)20/5 16:40Wed May 20 16:40:49 2020In response to Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 812

Salary cap can't work.

If you get relegated from Championship to L1 do you cut the wages of your contracted players? No way they'd sign up to that.

Or do you allow them to run at a higher cost until the contracts expire? How is that fair on the rest of the teams?

Same applies with the drop from L1 to L2.

Rich clubs would circumvent anyway with spurious loan arrangements.

Why should a club like Pompey or Sunderland have to restrict its pay costs to the level that Accrington can afford.

That's restraint of trade and would likely (rightly) be declared unlawful under judicial review.

Salary limits can only be tied to income, and income can be fiddled with dodgy sponsorship and stadium naming rights, selling your stadium to another arm of the company or a myriad of other schemes (As Sheff U, Villa and Derby have shown).

FFP based on income should be more rigorously enforced, with automatic points deductions for breaches, late wages etc. I like that bit but again, clever accountants will find ways round it.

Like Derby did when the paid Tom Ince's mum £700k per annum as a scouting consultant to avoid breaching FFP on his wages. True story.

By AgentEves24/5 01:18Sun May 24 01:18:27 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 220

I think a better solution would be restricting squad sizes. From PL down. Restricted to a squad of 30 players, of which 5-10 must be u23 (and potentially add in home-grown rules). I think you could still be allowed a 'reserve' or 'u23' squad, but I think that's where you introduce the salary cap (as well as a squad size restriction of say 18 players). You must sign a player to either the reserve squad OR the first team. Once a player plays 5 games, they must be moved to a first team contract (which would require making room), which would give reserve team players the chance to play a few games in the first team, but would stop teams from stockpiling their reserves with more players they intended to play in the first team.

Just spitball ideas, I haven't really thought through the exact logistics of it. But I think looking at the models they use in MLS/MLB, minus the hard salary cap, could yield some ideas.

Benefits would be more players would filter down the leagues from the higher leagues because they wouldn't be able to hoard players, plus it would keep the overall spending down without actually introducing a salary cap. Plus, if a player isn't playing first team football, they shouldn't be getting a first team wage. 18-23 year olds earning multi-thousand pound contracts to sit in the u23s, without ever getting anywhere near the first time is ludicrous, IMO.

By Puds (Chuds)20/5 15:09Wed May 20 15:09:56 2020In response to Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 856

Around £1.6mil on playing staff and £1mil on other staff. The Academy costs around £500k pa to run (half is funded by the FL, which is another thing we lose if relegated).

We receive around £1.2mil per year from the FL, £1mil from gate receipts and around £300k from commercial earnings.

We budget to lose around £200-300k pa if we sell no players and have no cup run.

By Deano (deanos13)21/5 16:14Thu May 21 16:14:15 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 347

I think that's a tad high. Prob a 4 at the end.

By Puds (Chuds)21/5 18:20Thu May 21 18:20:39 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 320

The player wages? £1.4mil?

I would normally agree it seems high, but with so many players this year and the fact we had that share issue in order to raise additional funds for a promotion push (hahahaha!) I felt it could have been higher than normal.

For reference all those figures were taken directly from an article with Phil earlier in the season.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Paulio20/5 13:36Wed May 20 13:36:11 2020In response to Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 852

I think our squad were paying to play.

By Themessiah20/5 13:37Wed May 20 13:37:46 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 846

Looks like we are still waiting on overall outcome of the meeting if it is true

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/5 12:49Wed May 20 12:49:43 2020In response to Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 903

I don't think any of our players were on anywhere near that amount.

2 people like this 2 people

By Hitchin Callling20/5 13:41Wed May 20 13:41:27 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 858

I assume the salary cap is on re playing staff.

Another proposal ,if clubs agree, is for squads to be 2O max including 8 from acadamies.

Heard somewhere possible no transfer windows next season.If so how does this fit in.Do you have to get rid of a player first before signing someone.This could be difficult as Thjey would be under contact

Also i realise we had a far too big squad this season but remember our injury list at stages.What if say more than 15 (matchday max number) are injured ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

By Ratman4621/5 12:28Thu May 21 12:28:46 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 356

6 month contracts possibly?

By jayess20/5 15:58Wed May 20 15:58:17 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 720

As I understand it, 20 plus 8 from the Academy (not including).

By Tucks20/5 15:25Wed May 20 15:25:11 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 735

Players under contract don’t have to be declared in the league squad if the Premier League is anything to go by Obviously you’d still have to pay them but couldn’t play them in the league.

A squad of 20 including eight academy players sounds like it would be hard going. A squad of 20 is a small squad full stop. I’d imagine 20 plus unlimited academy players (under a certain age) would work though.

By Pete (PeteH)20/5 16:11Wed May 20 16:11:51 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 718

A squad of 20 is a small squad full stop

How GW liked it.

By Hitchin Callling20/5 15:40Wed May 20 15:40:53 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 735

As far as I aware currently no squad size limit at our level now.
If it is limited say 20 surely you were not be able to have others not declared in squad but under full contatcs and then just add or drop members when you want.If so in effect the squad is then over 20.
If it is the straight 2O there will be the issues I mentioned plus probably others.

By Tucks20/5 20:59Wed May 20 20:59:15 2020In response to Re: Salary Cap next seasonTop of thread

Views: 566

No squad sizes for us at present. Premier League has a 22 (I think) man squad limit which doesn’t include players under a certain age (21 I believe). That doesn’t stop clubs having contracted players over the age of 21 outside of their declared squad, it does mean those players can’t play in the league though. I don’t see why such a system would be any different in the lower leagues. Changes to that squad list can only be made during the transfer window.

A 20 man squad simply isn’t big enough if a few injuries hit, which they will for at least one team, how many players have we had out injured this year, more than eight definitely. So I can’t see a 20 man limit including academy players. If it was 20 men with players under 21 not counting but being eligible for league games then that is more than enough and would probably suit us down to the ground as we have a decent academy.

1 person likes this 1 person

Previous thread: Are we going to get relegated? by Owen B23/5 10:41Sat May 23 10:41:29 2020view thread