ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Non-league paper by SparkyToesToday 16:28Today at 16:28:13view thread

Oldest article: Revised hopes by Handyandy19/3 15:26Mon Mar 9 15:26:00 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: WATN by Hitchin Callling3/6 09:28Wed Jun 3 09:28:12 2020view thread

Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant

By Tony Lynchs left boot (Mr Bean)1/6 15:05Mon Jun 1 15:05:49 2020

Views: 1369

Stevenage Football Club is pleased to announce that Lennie Lawrence has joined the Club as Alex Revell's Managerial Consultant...

Holding the experience of 1,100 games as a Manager and a further 600 as an Assistant Manager/Advisor, Lennie will be closely involved in the day to day football management of the Club, as well as being part of the Matchday team when football returns

reply to this article | return to the front page

WTAF

By Stevo1/6 21:36Mon Jun 1 21:36:04 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 762

Is a managerial consultant?

Re: WTAF

By Bragbury1061/6 21:44Mon Jun 1 21:44:35 2020In response to WTAFTop of thread

Views: 751

did we not have a Managerial consultant when the north-stand being built ?

Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant

By Rotterdamboro1/6 17:37Mon Jun 1 17:37:50 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 982

I'd prefer our chairman to spend his money on legal fees fighting the EFL

2 people like this 2 people

By Sev1/6 17:29Mon Jun 1 17:29:54 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 944

I'd like to know what the role entails before passing comment. But we never will, so I shan't comment.

Wait to see the results on the pitch. If they improve, good appointment, if not, meh.

By Tucks1/6 16:52Mon Jun 1 16:52:22 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 960

Like Roeder, Lawrence is one of those to me who has been around for a long time and hasn’t actually done that much of note, certainly not when in the hot seat himself. If our manager needs advising then at least bring someone in who has some credibility as a successful manager.

Now isn’t a time for learning on the job, having someone to hold Revs’ hand shows either the club or the man aren’t 100% confident in his ability to manage the team. Neither is an acceptable position.

I think Revs has it in him to be a good manager. If he isn’t completely ready now then he should be back on the coaching staff with an experienced manager at the helm who he can learn from. But only if that is a by product of us bringing in a manager who will rescue/restore our Football League status first and foremost.

By Puds (Chuds)1/6 16:36Mon Jun 1 16:36:54 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 975

So Revs has the job full-time then.

And Russell Slade has departed.

Cool.

By ExLandlord (HUFC)2/6 12:53Tue Jun 2 12:53:09 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 534

We had Lennie at Hereford for a short period before he buggered off to Palace. His time here was very positive in a role to support an inexperienced manager.

He seems to perform well in that type of job.

4 people like this 4 people

By SFCfox1/6 15:27Mon Jun 1 15:27:05 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1102

Welcome Lennie.

Should just back Mark Sampson.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 15:09Mon Jun 1 15:09:57 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1147

This doesn’t fill me with any confidence. Roeder was brought in to babysit Sarll, and Slade and now Lawrence have been brought in to babysit Revell.

I wish the club would stop pissing about with experimental or inexperienced managers and appoint somebody with a proven track record.

9 people like this 9 people

By Themessiah1/6 19:52Mon Jun 1 19:52:10 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 759

Wallace would rather go for the cheap option

By AndyC1/6 16:33Mon Jun 1 16:33:18 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 967

Westley had a proven track record...

By Paulio1/6 18:28Mon Jun 1 18:28:12 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 835

Not exactly.

A bit of success and a bit of failure.

By AgentEves1/6 20:53Mon Jun 1 20:53:48 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 716

And also showed in every single one of his tenures that he needs time to turn things around. Bringing Westley back for a relegation battle is one thing, but bringing him back expecting an immediate impact is bizarre.

5 people like this 5 people

By The Proclaimer2/6 14:37Tue Jun 2 14:37:45 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 510

Why? I remember an immediate impact during his first stint, although i admit i haven't actually looked back at the history.

By AgentEves2/6 17:06Tue Jun 2 17:06:15 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 440

It's a valid point, but I think orchestrating a quick turnaround with us at the bottom end of the Conference in 1999 (or whenever it was) is a bit different. The Conference still had a lot of part time teams then, and we were one of the bigger teams. We were underperforming. Whereas turning the ship for a team like us, Newport or Barnet when at the bottom end of League Two, a team where we aren't one of the bigger teams, is a lot more of a slow process. The former can be done with an influx of a few good players (which is what Westley did) whereas the latter requires a whole culture change, without access to the league's better players.

Edited by AgentEves at 17:06:54 on 2nd June 2020

By Paulio2/6 15:01Tue Jun 2 15:01:26 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 471

He brought in half the squad that he had at Farnborough.
So he had a bit of a jump start on that one 😂

By The Proclaimer2/6 16:28Tue Jun 2 16:28:19 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 437

Was an immediate impact though, if i remember correctly.

By Paulio2/6 17:44Tue Jun 2 17:44:00 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 440

Yes. A very controversial impact.

I imagine most managers could take half their team that are doing alright and put it into another squad to make them a bit better! 😂

Edit: A good run in the middle. Not a great start.

LDDDLWWWWWWLLW

Edited by Paulio at 17:55:43 on 2nd June 2020

By Sev2/6 19:23Tue Jun 2 19:23:50 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 405

Imagine if the season got stopped after his first 5 games. We would deserve to be relegated. It would be the only fair way. Integrity.

1 person likes this 1 person

By AgentEves3/6 01:12Wed Jun 3 01:12:02 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 288

You know, its funny - up until this post, I never really agreed that using PPG to determine the final league standings was unfair. I think I just felt that if we could only get 22pts out of 36 games, then its highly unlikely that we'd get some sudden upturn in form that PPG wouldn't account for.

But that's the beautiful thing about football, isn't it? No matter how many times you run a simulation, or crunch the numbers, or whatever else, you simply cannot factor in the unknown. Football has far too many. We just got a new manager, who could well have turned things around. Maybe Westley's signings would all come good. Maybe one of the players who hadn't played well all season would flourish under Revs.

Sure, our chances are slim, but if football has taught us anything, it's that anything can happen. It's 11 people against 11 people, at the end of the day, and there are so many variables that it's mostly, unpredictable.

I'm not sure what it was about this post, as opposed to any of the others, that made me think about it completely differently, but there we are...

3 people like this 3 people

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 17:03Mon Jun 1 17:03:46 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 875

The only record Westley had was by Shakatak.

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)1/6 15:48Mon Jun 1 15:48:41 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1021

I just tweeted almost exactly what you posted... Great minds...

By Thora1/6 15:15Mon Jun 1 15:15:58 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1100

It's absolute bullshit.

Either back Revell to do it or don't.

Fucking on-the-job training for the most important job at the club.

Maybe he'll have his City & Guilds by Christmas.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 15:25Mon Jun 1 15:25:31 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1054

I just wouldn’t back Revell. Not for such an important position when we’re in the shit. I’d happily have him on the coaching staff to gain his experience, but under an established manager.

By Thora1/6 15:40Mon Jun 1 15:40:42 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1018

Makes sense that way, doesn't it.

Like we tried with Sarll.

Except we didn't get a manager for him to learn from.

And then gave him the job anyway.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 15:47Mon Jun 1 15:47:33 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 997

Bullseye!!!

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)1/6 15:53Mon Jun 1 15:53:15 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 993

Look what you could have won.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 16:22Mon Jun 1 16:22:38 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 932

BFH?

Bus wankers.

By SFC Jonny (SFC Jonny)1/6 15:22Mon Jun 1 15:22:30 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1031

Agreed. I assume the only reason we do this is so we can pay cheapo wages to managers, then employ a management consultant to work two days a week.

Do you think Revell has any say in this? Or is it imposed on him?

By Freemo1/6 19:58Mon Jun 1 19:58:05 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 717

Surely by the time the two salaries are added together they can't be that much less than paying the going rate?

By Jonnym81/6 19:02Mon Jun 1 19:02:36 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 741

Imposed.

Either employ Reavell to do the job or don’t.

Realistically, what is LL going to offer to Revs?

By Thora1/6 21:12Mon Jun 1 21:12:40 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 636

I sure there's plenty he could offer. I think it's important that any complaint we have about this isn't about LL and what he can offer and instead focusing on why we've employed (if not announced) someone who needs a LL.

Edited by Thora at 21:13:03 on 1st June 2020

By Jonnym81/6 21:17Mon Jun 1 21:17:47 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 628

Yeah, you’re right. Badly expressed but my point was similar, either Revs is the manager and can do the job or he’s not.

By Thora1/6 21:21Mon Jun 1 21:21:54 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 618

💯

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 21:03Mon Jun 1 21:03:08 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 652

“Realistically, what is LL going to offer to Revs?”

Some Werthers Originals?

6 people like this 6 people

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 15:28Mon Jun 1 15:28:29 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1051

Good point. Either Revell asks for a babysitter, which clearly marks him out as being too inexperienced, or he gets Lawrence imposed on him, which marks him out as being too inexperienced in the eyes of the board.

By Hitchin Callling1/6 15:13Mon Jun 1 15:13:29 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1061

Assume Slade disappeared.
Does Lawrence know much about the conference or perhaps even better he is good friend of Rick Parry and can have a quiet word. with him.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)1/6 15:26Mon Jun 1 15:26:26 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1025

Slade’s off to record a Christmas single.

By Willo91/6 15:08Mon Jun 1 15:08:43 2020In response to Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 1105

Looks like Alex is staying whatever the situation!

By Deltic 213/6 01:43Wed Jun 3 01:43:36 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 340

Backing Revs as manager is a terrible decision. It was clear from the moment he was announced that it wasn’t going to work. If anything I’d rather MS had had it back, but for a new season we need to get right away from all the causes and influences of the dross served up this season. New, experienced track-record manager and new squad. Leaving it as is is condemning us to another season of more of the same.

By Puds (Chuds)3/6 09:25Wed Jun 3 09:25:06 2020In response to Re: Lennie Lawrence joins as Revells managerial consultant Top of thread

Views: 272

Is it?

Didn't everybody put it down to the players, because four different managers couldn't get anything from them?

With new players (and a manager who only got two games in charge) why are we condemned to another bad season?

Edited by Chuds at 09:26:09 on 3rd June 2020

Previous thread: NL Update by Hitchin Callling2/6 20:59Tue Jun 2 20:59:23 2020view thread