ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Newton ? by TazToday 01:39Today at 01:39:43view thread

Oldest article: The Times by GarstonBoro7/4 11:49Tue Apr 7 11:49:43 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: New home and away kit by worrier29/5 09:10Fri May 29 09:10:14 2020view thread

Phil speaks

By RussD819/6 18:12Tue Jun 9 18:12:49 2020

Views: 2422

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52984654

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Re: Phil speaks

By fmboro10/6 18:01Wed Jun 10 18:01:29 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 799

Another take on it - https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/macclesfield-stevenage-league-two-relegation-4212150

By Themessiah10/6 20:38Wed Jun 10 20:38:36 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 544

Sums it up perfectly

By FootyIQ (HT-FT)10/6 18:14Wed Jun 10 18:14:09 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 652

Looks like very good case for a legal challenge if they are not dock any further points.

By Owen B10/6 18:10Wed Jun 10 18:10:57 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 815

Whilst Stevenage have been pretty awful this season, at least they’ve been honest.

That's pretty much the season reviewed in one sentence.

Edited by Owen B at 18:11:06 on 10th June 2020

10 people like this 10 people

By FootyIQ (HT-FT)10/6 18:06Wed Jun 10 18:06:33 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 669

Wow wasn’t expecting that. Case closed we are League 2 next year.

By Boromoose10/6 22:12Wed Jun 10 22:12:42 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 476

There is an online poll asking their readers (presumably mostly Grimsby fans) who they think deserves to be relegated.

58% have voted Boro, 42% Macc

By Themessiah10/6 22:38Wed Jun 10 22:38:59 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 440

Still bitching about a year or 2 back

Phil speaks again

By Deano (deanos13)10/6 12:43Wed Jun 10 12:43:50 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1089

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08f9gvj

2 hr 23 for Phil. Spin on after the news if you are remotly interested in what I have to say. But spin on because Simon Oxley has some nice things to say about our club.

Re: Phil speaks again

By Ratman4610/6 17:30Wed Jun 10 17:30:55 2020In response to Phil speaks againTop of thread

Views: 758

Good listen that was from all 3.

Bouncing into Bankruptcy

By Sev10/6 10:02Wed Jun 10 10:02:14 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1308

Phil doesn't think it is possible to bounce straight back from going down in the current climate, and with no crowds allowed abd a league 2 cost structure says we may bounce into bankruptcy instead.

The life of the club is in the balance, in the hands of an independent commission.

Their decision will either mean one club goes bust (Macclesfield) or potentially two.

Re: Bouncing into Bankruptcy

By Jas7910/6 10:28Wed Jun 10 10:28:27 2020In response to Bouncing into BankruptcyTop of thread

Views: 1212

We wont go bust. The clubs with debts they cant meet and/or players still under contract that they couldnt afford in the first place are at greater risk. Wouldnt want to be one of them.

We could have been one of them but bargain basement 1 year deals as a rule means we are where we are. Only the bond debt and overheads to worry about.

Hope they all enjoyed yesterdays vote and any cheap promotions awarded.

By Richie Rich C10/6 15:00Wed Jun 10 15:00:00 2020In response to Re: Bouncing into BankruptcyTop of thread

Views: 893

And the cash Phil underwrites is with , would you knowing it’s not a financially sound idea ?

By Sev10/6 11:47Wed Jun 10 11:47:34 2020In response to Re: Bouncing into BankruptcyTop of thread

Views: 1056

Those were Phil's words not mine. Perhaps he is saying it to try and influence an outcome.

Our income in the conference and funding for academy etc will be massively reduced if relegated. Add to that no gate money and you're really struggling to cover any costs, whether player wages are lower or not.

Many clubs will struggle but we will be in the unfortunate unique position of the only club to drop out of the football league.

We won't go bust if Phil is willing to fund the losses, or he sells to someone who is willing to, but we shouldn't just expect him to. He may prefer to cease the business, sell the assets, repay himself what he is owed (if anything left) and not lose millions of his own wealth each year going forward.

I'm sure he will do everything he can to keep us going at significant personal cost as he won't want the legacy he has created to go to nothing, but it's by no means guaranteed.

2 people like this 2 people

By AgentEves10/6 15:57Wed Jun 10 15:57:04 2020In response to Re: Bouncing into BankruptcyTop of thread

Views: 799

On the subject of revenue, instead of saying there isnt a streaming service for National League teams... can't someone just make one? Presumably it would be in the interest of the National League to look into it?

By BuccyPrague10/6 09:55Wed Jun 10 09:55:35 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1147

Was that photo of Phil taken on Halloween??

Does anyone else think that Phil is wearing a Vampire costume?

By Jenks839/6 22:26Tue Jun 9 22:26:14 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1498

I very rarely post on here but this is a momentous day for the club I've been watching for 36 years.

Can't decide whether to be sad, frustrated or angry that we've got to the stage where we need to hope another club is punished for us to stay up. And the despair this will bring their supporters would give me no pleasure.

The bottom line is we have been absolutely garbage on the pitch this season. As has been mentioned elsewhere on here, PW has done some really good things for the club. But quite often his bad decisions have directly affected the playing side of things. 4 managers in one season and a process of swapping positions of the same people makes no sense.

Really hope I'm wrong as loved Revs as a player but making him Manager seems like a strange move given the predicament we're now in and the fact that he's worked with this disastrous squad all season. Surely this is time for an experienced manager whatever league we end up in. If we invest in anything, an experienced head to lead, seems to make sense to me.

10 people like this 10 people

By Junction 710/6 00:20Wed Jun 10 00:20:49 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1383

If he had spent more time worrying about the team on the pitch rather than poncing around with all the off the field shinnanaigins then maybe we wouldn’t find ourselves bottom of the football league with 3 wins in 37 league games !!!!

By Puds (Chuds)10/6 01:10Wed Jun 10 01:10:35 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1375

How much of an impact on managerial appointments and player recruitment do you think finishing off a stand build that has been going on for a couple of years anyway and changing a badge had?

It really isn't a choice of one or the other.

4 people like this 4 people

By Thora10/6 08:55Wed Jun 10 08:55:25 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1243

In an isolated season, I'd agree it wouldn't make much of an impact, but you can't surely suggest that all of the bullshit with the North Stand (and that's without pointing fingers at who was to blame with that power station) hasn't lead to less focus on the playing side of things over the past few years.

You could even argue that the time and energy spent on a pointless rebranding exercise could have been spent on reflecting why we have recruited so many bad players over the past 5 years and fixing or attempting to fix that problem.

In footballing terms, we've been on a downward spiral for 5 years and we've done nothing different to address it.

Actually, Edward's appointment was different. Awful and unnecessary, but different. But other than that it's been the same. And, to contradict myself slightly, it was similar to the rest in terms of it being an absolutely blind, fingers-and-toes-crossed gamble.

PW has picked managers who know the club and who PW knows, who come with barely one iota of experience (and therefore presumably the cheap option), set up in the same way, all with the same outcome. Sarll, Dino and now Revs.

Add to that the absolute shitshow this season where he's just shifted the same people to different chairs with the same (bloated) squad (GW loan spree aside) and hoped for a different outcome.

What's the definition of madness, again?

I'd rather we just came out and said we can't really afford to be in the EFL (because attendances) so we're gambling on the managers in the hope that one of them comes good, because it's pretty safe on account of there always being basket case teams that mean we won't go down. At least that's a long term plan.

However, if you're aiming at a long term plan, you need to give the inexperienced manager time to learn the job. And we openly admit that they're inexperienced and need to learn the job by giving them management advisors.

But then what don't we give them?

We don't give them time to learn.

And why don't we give them time to learn?

Because we're shit scared of being relegated to non-league and we're more invested in remaining an EFL club than in the long term development of the manager that we put in place to develop SO WE MIGHT AS WELL HAVE HIRED SOMEONE WHO DIDN'T NEED LONG TERM DEVELOPMENT IN THE FIRST BASTARD PLACE.

Apologies, Chuds. That's a reply to a few posts in one - not all in response to yours, obviously.

And I didn't even mention Leon.

11 people like this 11 people

By Puds (Chuds)10/6 13:19Wed Jun 10 13:19:32 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 898

Pretty much all of your post was just a moan about PW's hirings, which were already happening long before the new stand and rebrand. So I think little of it was relevant to my post. And I am not in any way defending our managerial or player recruitment anyway, nor saying PW's history of them has been good.

My post was because all I ever see Boycie say about this season is as he did above. And I think it made no difference.

Sarll was already in place when the stand stuff was going on and he was clearly always intended to get the shot as he was brought in under Teddy. Then Dino came in, which I don't think was impacted in any way by off the field developments. Then this summer he was obviously kept on after just missing the playoffs, so no impact from any building works ot rebrand. I think he would still have given MS the caretaker chance. I think he would still have hired GW (the rebrand and stand were finished by this point anyway). Everything was completed by the time Revs got the nod. So in terms of managers I think none of the stuff going on off the pitch made a difference and I seriously don't think PW would have changed his usual interview/hiring process (whatever it is he does to determine who to give a shot to) just because there was a bit of building work going on. The only argument could be that perhaps the costs of this led to us going for cheaper managerial options, but I don't necessarily think that is so. I think since people slated the hire of Smith and Teddy, that ever since PW has gone with people who know him and the club for that reason as much, if not more, as because they are cheaper options.

As for the recruitment of players. That is left to Leon/the management team, no? PW just signs off the contracts. So again, do we really think that was impacted?

Finally, I believe Alex was the one heavily involved in the rebrand and sponsorship rather than PW, so again I really see little impact it had.

It was annoying for everyone, PW no doubt more than any others, with the stand going on for so long. And must have infuriated him, but I really don't think it can be held accountable for anything that led to our shocking season.

Edited by Chuds at 13:21:57 on 10th June 2020

4 people like this 4 people

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))10/6 13:51Wed Jun 10 13:51:41 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 843

Sarll was kept on under Teddy wasn’t he? I miss the Sarll days

By Puds (Chuds)10/6 13:58Wed Jun 10 13:58:29 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 838

Yes. But the reason he was coach under Teddy was because Phil wanted him to work under him and learn from him with the view of becoming manager down the line.

By Thora10/6 14:00Wed Jun 10 14:00:52 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 833

If I was running an apprentice scheme I'd definitely assign an apprentice to learn from another apprentice.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))10/6 14:02Wed Jun 10 14:02:49 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 826

A slightly bizarre managerial mentoring idea even by Phillipe ‘s standards

By Freemo10/6 10:01Wed Jun 10 10:01:22 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1090

That's the problem isn't it? We want to be the long-term thinking, progressive club that we were trying to be on the way up. We put in place some good building blocks with the proceeds of our success.

It was perceived with justification that we needed to move away from Westley's aesthetic style of football to match that, but it turned out to be harder than it looks, a mistake many boards make. Just thinking of West Ham for example, wanting to be loved and then realising they actually just want to stay in the Premier League in never-ending cycles.

However, given our economic reality, we could always end up in a scrap for a survival we could not afford to do without, in which case we'd be ill-equipped.

We're trying to be like a thoughtful, youthful club with the money to back it up, but with the match day income of a perennially scrapping managerial graveyard.

Having good values in professional football requires either money or luck and we've run out of both.

3 people like this 3 people

By Tucks10/6 10:48Wed Jun 10 10:48:53 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1031

There have been mixed signals. PW has spoken of being a Championship club and also of working to a Crewe type model. Crewe haven’t been a Championship club for a very long time, their model of sustainability through sales of youth products is one that we could do well to copy however. That of course could go down the pipes if we are relegated from the league. Of course PW had to talk of the Championship when we were riding high in League One as it was the next progression.

Stevenage is growing as a place and there is the opportunity to build a bigger fan base which will support a higher lever of football in years to come but for the time being realistically we are a League Two or National League side in terms of support. Perhaps expectations need to be tempered, we are the plucky underdog who every few years will upset the apple cart and string a good season or two together.

Ironically our success on the pitch when we first became a league club could have shot us in the foot, those new fans who came along because we were a winning club that carried on winning to the point of the L1 play-offs (and leading the league for a spell the following season) expected nothing but success when in reality we were in the midst of a perfect storm.

By SFCfox10/6 11:43Wed Jun 10 11:43:45 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 943

Crewe also held on to David Artell after a couple of average at best seasons. We on the other hand fire as soon as times get tough. If Westley comes back for a 5th time once Revs is fired 2 months in to the season then i'm done (of course that won't happen as Revs will have us top of the league)

By Deltic 2110/6 15:26Wed Jun 10 15:26:27 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 793

Actually, now is probably the time you’d need a Westley. Starting again, with a whole new squad, from the bottom (possibly in non-league) is where his skill traditionally lies. He clearly isn’t much good at taking over a miserable squad mid-season, but building his own from scratch is a better plan than keeping Revs and blundering through more of the same next season.

By Tucks10/6 17:40Wed Jun 10 17:40:24 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 666

This is true. But the GW ship has sailed. We made a mistake bringing him back to turn the tide this season, he has always worked best given time to implement his own ideas and ethos on teams. Realistically this is the only place he has been given that time.

If we go down we will want to come straight back, easier said than done, and that again isn’t necessarily a strong suit of Graham’s. It’s time to find another man to take us forward.

By Puds (Chuds)10/6 15:45Wed Jun 10 15:45:20 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 738

Let him go Delts, FFS!

By Pete (PeteH)10/6 13:03Wed Jun 10 13:03:00 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 895

Revs will have us top of the league

But which league? Combined Counties?

By Freemo10/6 11:01Wed Jun 10 11:01:50 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 979

If we were copying Crewe then we missed the opportunity to make the new stand comically oversized.

By Thora10/6 10:06Wed Jun 10 10:06:12 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1092

Quite.

The beauty of our success under GW was in acknowledging that we couldn't be like the rest so we had to do something different. No-one else liked our style of different, but who cares?

You're exactly right, we decided that being liked was more important than winning football matches.

It's easy to be liked when you're giving people three points every week.

As with everything in life, being liked by everyone isn't important. Most of everyone aren't worth being liked by.

Edited by Thora at 10:10:39 on 10th June 2020

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)10/6 09:21Wed Jun 10 09:21:26 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1155

Yep.

I would say, however, that the appointment of Gary Smith was something different. It was also something that gave a lot of promise. Just a shame he had to obliterate the memory of Westley from the club by dismantling possibly the greatest team we have ever had (yeah, I know Westley had a hand in that too) and filling it up with Lee Hills, Felipe Morais and Greg Tansey. So I’d say the decline - if you are to take the overall correlation as a sign - has gone on for nearer to 8 years.

By Puds (Chuds)10/6 13:25Wed Jun 10 13:25:52 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 875

So you are both backing up my point that the off the field stuff in the past year or two didn't cause our shit season? It is just an easy option to blame for this season and blame Phil (who would take the blame anyway).

And that the decline was already going on and has been for ages?

Cool.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)10/6 17:36Wed Jun 10 17:36:02 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 647

Will my response be on a without prejudice basis? It’s just that people have recently been putting words in my mouth and accusing me of saying all sorts.

By Thora10/6 13:59Wed Jun 10 13:59:56 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 831

No, I'm not backing up your point at all.

I'm saying (and you're agreeing) that the decline has been going on for much longer than this season and I'm saying that this season is the result of not stopping the decline and I'm saying that maybe we haven't stopped the decline because there has been a lot of energy and good work focussed on other things aside from football which, if it had been directed more to football than non-football, would have seen things not culminate in this season.

This season in isolation is not why we might be relegated. This season is the result of not arresting the decline of the previous 5 seasons.

EDIT: We have not been relegated yet.

Edited by Thora at 14:08:34 on 10th June 2020

By Thora10/6 09:41Wed Jun 10 09:41:22 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1095

Yeah, I'd agree with that and that's part of why I always talk about the five year thing. Plus I have conscious bias toward GW and the way he was treated at that point.

As Rob says below, it had to go downhill after that squad died. And that squad was always going to die.

It does highlight how our recruitment has been dogshit for longer than 5 years though.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)10/6 13:03Wed Jun 10 13:03:37 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 896

Aye, good points.

Yep, that squad was always gonna die. Goes to show what can be achieved with a squad that had, in the main, been assembled in the Conference.

By Owen B10/6 09:44Wed Jun 10 09:44:51 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1076

I enjoyed your post above. Do you think there's a direct relationship between managerial appointments, poor squad, etc. and commercial activity, like the new stand, badge, etc? I can draw a line connecting the two with Teddy's appointment, to raise the profile of the club, but I can't think of anywhere else where there is a link.

By Thora10/6 09:56Wed Jun 10 09:56:15 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1072

I don't think there's a direct correlation, but we don't have a huge staff, do we?

My assumption is that the people who work behind the scenes at a club of our size have to 'multi-hat' (to use a wanky phrase), certainly at a senior level, so their involvement in non-footballing endeavours must surely impact on the time they can spend on footballing endeavours.

It seems we've had a lot of fairly significant non-football endeavours running concurrently (stand, rebrand, boxing) and that the time afforded to those by Chairman/CEO and whoever else must have had an impact on the football stuff.

But then, wtf do I know, eh?

By Owen B10/6 10:03Wed Jun 10 10:03:22 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1061

Yeah, I see your point. I would hope the stand (and awful badge) were with a view on the longer term (no bad thing, you could argue), and you're probably right it would have had a financial impact, albeit massively offset by the bond issue scheme.

Football decisions, like appointing a new manager, surely wouldn't take that long in the grand scheme of things, although appointing 47 managers in a season makes it tricky.

Did the boxing not make money? If not, what was the point?

By Thora10/6 10:09Wed Jun 10 10:09:49 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1063

I'm not even thinking of it in terms of money - we clearly haven't scrimped on the squad (46 players!!!), we've just spent it badly.

I'm merely talking in terms of time and ability to focus on the football side and the recruitment.

The boxing must have been a decent undertaking. And Phil/Alex had to be involved in that - down to the fact they were pouring pints on the night!

And yes, you're right, the stand and badge were done as a long-term proposal. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have done these things, just suggesting that maybe we didn't need to do them all at the same time.

But then who could have foreseen the stand taking so long? Except for the people directly involved in the planning and construction of the stand.

By Puds (Chuds)10/6 13:31Wed Jun 10 13:31:36 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 850

But the boxing happened between seasons, where we were always going to keep a manager who just missed out on the playoffs.

And the boxing would not have impacted on Leon/Dino/our coaches' scouting for players.

Nor would the stand, or the rebrand, have impacted on their scouting.

And it is surely PW who signs them off rather than Alex? And it was mostly Alex doing the rebrand and new sponsorship I believe.

Edit: Exactly as Deano says below, much as he'll hate that we are in agreement.

Edited by Chuds at 13:33:24 on 10th June 2020

By Deano (deanos13)10/6 12:39Wed Jun 10 12:39:21 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 935

Yea the Boxing made money.
I suppose that I'm in the position where I know a small amount of what goes on. Alex and Phil looked after Boxing. But Alex had no responsibility of looking after footballers and signings. He had Leon and Dino and Tom, who is frankly brilliant. He'll have reports in. So I know how busy Alex was with builders and contractors and Frank Warren. And yea he'd ring me on his way home, usually I'd be on my 2nd glass it was that late.
But I don't think those things distracted anyone from football. I think Boxing had a 12 or 13 week lead time from announcement to happening.

But I think there are many issues that caused this season. Having too many players out injured in August can only be laid firmly at one person's door. That's when we had to go sign El-Abd and Taylor and Soares. The inability to hold onto a physio also hampered us.

By Roulette Len10/6 18:15Wed Jun 10 18:15:05 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 594

Who was responsible for signing those three players? Who was the manager at time of 'purchase' and why can't we keep hold of a Physio?

By Sev10/6 20:51Wed Jun 10 20:51:09 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 464

They can't stand listening to Keith's choice of music at the training ground day in day out.

By Paulio10/6 21:01Wed Jun 10 21:01:51 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 454

https://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/borochat/article/490488

By Thora10/6 14:04Wed Jun 10 14:04:29 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 819

Maybe I've not been clear. I'm not talking about money. At all.

I'm not saying people have performed their jobs badly. At all.

I'm saying that the jobs they've been focussed on haven't been solely football (nor should they be) but might have been more heavily weighted toward non-football than they could have been.

That's all.

And our current predicament would back up my view. Because if we'd focussed more on football and sorting our issues out from a football point of view, we wouldn't be rock bottom.

The alternative is that we didn't see the football problems (which we must have done because we sacked so many people for poor football performance) or we wilfully ignored football problems (which we can't have done because we sacked so many people for poor football performance).

You'll have to excuse the pun, but to me it seems we took our eye off the football.

By SFCfox10/6 13:36Wed Jun 10 13:36:38 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 845

Oooo friends..

Agree about the injuries being a huge factor at the start of the season. I remember being pumped for our game vs Salford.. then i saw the team sheet.

Edited by SFCfox at 13:38:15 on 10th June 2020

By Puds (Chuds)10/6 13:46Wed Jun 10 13:46:21 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 847

Then you saw Dino bring Newton on and put him at LB!

By Sev10/6 14:40Wed Jun 10 14:40:41 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 793

I dont remember this. You sure it wasn't LWB? Maybe I wasn't there.

I remember Freeman playing left back. He was pretty good there.

By Freemo10/6 14:50Wed Jun 10 14:50:01 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 787

As I recall he was briefly at LWB after replacing Fielding, who might already have been swapped swapped places with Stokes to LCB in the first half. Then he moved further forward and it stopped becoming clear where anyone apart from Cuthbert was playing for the remainder of the match.

By Paulio10/6 11:49Wed Jun 10 11:49:23 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 911

“ The boxing must have been a decent undertaking. And Phil/Alex had to be involved in that - down to the fact they were pouring pints on the night!”

I would hazard an educated guess that the money was in the beer that was being sold.

By Owen B10/6 10:24Wed Jun 10 10:24:53 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1045

46 is too many players, especially when about 43 of them are average or worse..

I wonder about the football side of things though. If you put a bit of time into appointing a manager, they should be running the football side presumably with a recruitment guy if you have one. You mentioned in your previous post "And I didn't even mention Leon.", maybe we should!

By Thora10/6 10:31Wed Jun 10 10:31:28 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1020

I've done a deep dive on Leon before - I don't intend to do it again :)

Annoyingly, I can't find it on here anymore. Either it's fallen off or I'm searching the wrong stuff.

By Owen B10/6 10:34Wed Jun 10 10:34:18 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1007

Haha. I think a lot of people have. Justifiably so!

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))10/6 09:28Wed Jun 10 09:28:47 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1086

There probably had to be a decline from 2013 because the next step was the Championship, and it meant otherwise intelligent people were saying we could be a sustainable championship club.

By Owen B10/6 07:06Wed Jun 10 07:06:41 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1254

I heard the badge designers also picked the last manager.

By Ratman4610/6 20:27Wed Jun 10 20:27:23 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 458

They also cut the Trees down and offended their Gods

By Tucks9/6 23:02Tue Jun 9 23:02:13 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1344

Some of his managerial appointments have been bad but hindsight is a wonderful thing and above all else PW has always seemingly appointed managers with the best of intentions for the club. He is human and gets things wrong naturally but I don’t think he has ever phoned it in in terms of just grabbing anyone to do the job, even when Westley was brought back for spells three and four.

Smith and Sheringham were bad appointments but they weren’t easy appointments in terms of grabbing anyone off the managerial scrapheap of the football league. Sarll and Dino again were given their first shot at management in the league and unfortunately didn’t work out for various reasons. At least we’ve tried something different and it hasn’t all been bad.

I agree completely with regard to Revs, think it may be a case of the right man at the wrong time, particularly if he has to try negotiate a National League season next term, although that is all up in the air.

Whatever happens if we have a team to support I will be there supporting us.

By FootyIQ (HT-FT)9/6 20:54Tue Jun 9 20:54:19 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1598

To define our era in the league We need to build a statue of teddy sherringham so we can pull it down

Edited by HT-FT at 20:54:57 on 9th June 2020

By Sev9/6 18:58Tue Jun 9 18:58:52 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1878

He's basicslly echoed my thoughts in what I tweeted directly after hearing.

That it isn't necessarily fair, but at least it was a democratic decision, and that we should have done better in the games we did play.

Our future is still unknown whether relegated or not.

I just hope we have a club to support at some level.

By dippers19/6 18:28Tue Jun 9 18:28:07 2020In response to Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1989

I give him some credit for admitting that we have been such utter shite this season and that the trauma of where we find ourselves is self inflicted.

By RussD819/6 18:35Tue Jun 9 18:35:30 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1932

To be honest I don’t have anything against him nor his tenure. He has overseen the greatest period of history and yes he’s made a few mistakes in the managerial department over the last few years but he’s made more good decisions than bad ones.

Let’s hope that something happens and we do keep league football either way the squad will get rebuilt in the summer and get some joy back in the football. Even if that is non-league but most of all we need to be winning matches again. Don’t want to see a club implode but as it says in that article if you are paying above what you can afford that is an unfair advantage

By jayess9/6 21:42Tue Jun 9 21:42:08 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1498

He has been/is an outstanding chairman in so many ways. But he has a habit of getting the football side wrong far more often than he gets it right.
English cricket still talks with dismay about the Year Of The Five Captains. We've just had the Season Of The Four Managers. It has been shambolic and embarrassing. And if we do stay up, that won't change.
Surely Phil hasn't made all that money without understanding the importance of delegation. You don't need to be good at everything; you just hire good people.
Whatever League we end up in next season, we need a top class football brain in the boardroom.

By Thora10/6 08:30Wed Jun 10 08:30:44 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1146

He delegated to Barry Webber a little while ago...

By jayess10/6 09:54Wed Jun 10 09:54:55 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1053

My caveat was that you hire good people, preferably with experience and knowledge of football at our level.
Barry Webber need not apply.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))9/6 22:18Tue Jun 9 22:18:01 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1406

Careful who you delegate to, mind..

By Themessiah9/6 18:37Tue Jun 9 18:37:36 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1950

Cheers wallace u now make us look like fucking idiots if they dont get another points deduction

By AgentEves9/6 20:25Tue Jun 9 20:25:15 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1641

This comment is why we need the dislike button.

8 people like this 8 people

By Paulio9/6 21:01Tue Jun 9 21:01:06 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1572

Nah, more fun to tear people’s opinions apart with words.

By Gitts n Grattz10/6 10:51Wed Jun 10 10:51:13 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1019

This comment is why we need the dislike button. 🤗

By Paulio10/6 11:26Wed Jun 10 11:26:13 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 962

This comment is why I have a ban user button 😁

By Gitts n Grattz10/6 16:55Wed Jun 10 16:55:29 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 693

Please I urge you to use it. Save me from myself! 😔

By Paulio10/6 18:15Wed Jun 10 18:15:35 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 587

😂

By Owen B9/6 18:56Tue Jun 9 18:56:19 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1849

Why?

By Tucks9/6 19:32Tue Jun 9 19:32:38 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1720

Because Phil bashing has become one of the hobbies of choice in recent times despite him being a bloody good chairman on the whole.

By Themessiah9/6 19:02Tue Jun 9 19:02:16 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1817

Apart from what else he said if macclesfield dont get the points deduction we will look pretty stupid

By Owen B9/6 19:05Tue Jun 9 19:05:04 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1804

"It's definitely not the end for us," Wallace told BBC Radio 5 Live. "It's a process. We are 24th but it is subject to the disciplinary procedures against Macclesfield.

"They have a charge to answer for not paying players on time. That's the sixth time this season. There is a definite competitive advantage gained by doing that.

"There should be consequences, there always has been in the past so I assume there will be a points deduction."

I don't see why he/we would look stupid if a points deduction didn't happen. He's just putting across his view of what he thinks should happen.

By Themessiah9/6 19:18Tue Jun 9 19:18:41 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1757

My personal opinion mate

By Owen B9/6 19:20Tue Jun 9 19:20:44 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1748

Fair enough. I wasn't arguing, I thought I had misunderstood your point.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))9/6 19:27Tue Jun 9 19:27:56 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1736

I don’t blame you for not arguing with that level of intellectual reasoning. A thankless task and quite frankly the messiah will wipe the floor with you

By Themessiah9/6 19:49Tue Jun 9 19:49:56 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1709

Am i not entitled to my own opinion obviously not

By Thora10/6 10:25Wed Jun 10 10:25:54 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1034

You can have all the opinions you like and I, for one, would encourage you to continue sharing them.

Ignore him.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))10/6 10:47Wed Jun 10 10:47:29 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1002

You utter rogue

By Themessiah10/6 10:31Wed Jun 10 10:31:04 2020In response to Re: Phil speaksTop of thread

Views: 1029

Cheers mate

Previous thread: How many by Tony Lynchs left boot9/6 15:44Tue Jun 9 15:44:50 2020view thread