ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Next 3 games by Chet ManleyToday 14:04Today at 14:04:40view thread

Oldest article: Rushden and Diamonds... by boroinyc7/7 21:52Tue Jul 7 21:52:38 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Macclesfield by Borojim9/7 20:30Thu Jul 9 20:30:47 2020view thread

4 Signings

By Boromatt10/7 10:18Fri Jul 10 10:18:37 2020

Views: 1832

Effiong - Dover
Akinwande - Billericay
Osbourne - Stockport
Marshall - Maidstone

4 really positive signings for the new season, but there seems to be a trend. All from the Non League. Does the club possibly know something that we don't, or is this down to the cut in our budget due to the pandemic?

Either way, impressed with the signings. We've missed players for a few years with ambition and hunger to fight for the badge and the football club. All four of the new signings want that breakthrough in their careers and will work very hard to achieve that. Good stuff Revs!

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people

Re: 4 Signings

By Mercury 8811/7 08:33Sat Jul 11 08:33:20 2020In response to 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 831

How many times did you see those 4 players play last season?

By Taz10/7 14:55Fri Jul 10 14:55:43 2020In response to 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1305

It's a different approach to what I was expecting. With teams being financially hit, I was expecting lower league teams to be picking off what the higher teams let go. We've taken players who have potential, but aren't really all that. Our first two signings average around 1 goal every 3 games at a lower level.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))11/7 00:43Sat Jul 11 00:43:48 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 871

We got spends

By Specky (Mike H)10/7 14:59Fri Jul 10 14:59:54 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1248

I wouldn’t really expect us to be signing any from the league at this stage, as it’s only been 10 days since most of the professional contracts have only just ended 10 days ago......I don’t doubt we will and are probably at the negotiating stage with different targets they would like.

By Deano (deanos13)10/7 22:45Fri Jul 10 22:45:19 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 928

Plus most players have a clause in their contract that if they don't have a new club so are potentially unemployed the old club pays July's wages too.
So we could still be paying Taylor and El-Abds wages until the 31st July.
If you move and you were earning, let's say 1500 a week, and your new deal is 1200. The old club has to pay you the 300 difference x 4 weeks. Stinks don't it?

2 people like this 2 people

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))11/7 00:42Sat Jul 11 00:42:54 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 866

Buy less shit

1 person likes this 1 person

By Deano (deanos13)12/7 18:56Sun Jul 12 18:56:32 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 394

Well, that is the hard and fast answer I spose!!!

By Freemo10/7 23:49Fri Jul 10 23:49:38 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 841

Why won't this nightmare end

By Taz10/7 16:47Fri Jul 10 16:47:29 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1129

Then I have to wonder if the players we've signed from non-league are here for cover and we're looking for higher quality to come in. I'm just struggling to see the benefit in strikers who have played at lower levels (even 2 divisions) and have a 1 in 3 scoring ratio at that level. If it were 1 in 3 in the Championship fair enough.
Effiong's best was at Bigglsewade, one goal every 1.74 games. Good ratio, but shabby level. Last season 16 goals in 36, before that 9 in 44. At 29 years old, not exactly an up and coming wonderkid, he's at his peak as a bang average Conference striker, and it's the highest level he's played at.
Akinwande's best was 11 in 15 at Maldon, 5 years ago. The most games he's played in a season is 24 (Concorde), and has played 6 games at Conference or above. He's only 24 so hopefully on the way up, but we'll surely be hoping for much better than he's shown in the past.
Osborne looks like he may be OK at Conference level. Only 24 so time to develop, but again has only played lower level than us. Fine if it's confirmed we're tinpot again, but if we stay as a proper team, we'll need some more experience.
Marshall I can't find much on. Played 24 games last season in Nat South. Only 20, so lots of growth to be had here, and as it's already been said, I love that he chose to play in the dirt instead of hang out at U23.

Overall, we've signed a bunch of players who have been OK at below Conference level. Osborne may be the most experienced at the level, and hopefully is the only one who can make the starting line up from the off. If these are the cream of what we sign, we could be in for a long and disappointing season again.

By Handyandy112/7 05:24Sun Jul 12 05:24:32 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 489

oh jeez, I'll get me rope.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))11/7 00:44Sat Jul 11 00:44:38 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 835

Try not to overthink

By Taz11/7 00:56Sat Jul 11 00:56:31 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 826

Sorry.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))11/7 10:03Sat Jul 11 10:03:48 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 713

I am trying to find it in my heart to forgive you. Bear with me

By AgentEves10/7 22:10Fri Jul 10 22:10:28 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 867

Ok, but you seem to be overlooking the fact that we are a team that just finished bottom of League Two. If we stay in League Two, we are hardly an enticing prospect.

If we stay up, we have signed a few solid lower league players (because lets be honest, the gap between the Conference and League Two, with a few exceptions, is marginal) who should offer good value in League Two. If we go down, then we have signed solid players who have a proven record in the Conference, even if it isn't a remarkable record.

Do you really think that we are supposed to be signing players who are tearing non-league apart? Most teams are well aware of the talent available in the Conference now, so are much more willing to a) go hunting for talent in Non-League and b) shell out decent money for them. We don't have a lot of money to shell out, plus, as I said earlier, we're hardly the most enticing prospect.

We signed Cowley last year, who had an excellent goalscoring record, albeit in a much lower division, and we ended up releasing him on a free. I'd take a solid, if unremarkable, signing from the Conference than another gamble on a potential lower league gem who could be a bust. I'm not saying steer clear of the gambles entirely, but lets get the solid signings in first.

We are in the position where we need to be signing low-ceiling, high-floor players. Not low-floor, high-ceiling players.

By Taz11/7 00:51Sat Jul 11 00:51:01 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 798

"We signed Cowley last year, who had an excellent goalscoring record, albeit in a much lower division"

My point exactly. We've taken bang average strikers from 2 divisions below, they don't even have great records.

But to answer your question, this season we didn't have the quality to stay up, and now we're replacing them with average players from 2 divisions down. I think our definition of 'solid' may be different.

By jayess11/7 10:23Sat Jul 11 10:23:05 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 705

Godden (Ebbsfleet). Newton (Tamworth). Those two 'gambles' didn't go too badly.

By Taz11/7 14:48Sat Jul 11 14:48:20 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 624

And we could pull up many more. I never once said taking gambles was something to be avoided or they didn't pay off. That's the nature of gambling and why people do it (and become addicted), sometimes they pay off.

By AgentEves11/7 08:19Sat Jul 11 08:19:21 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 747

I just dont know who you expect us to be signing. 30 goal Conference strikers are likely bought by teams much bigger than us.

By Taz11/7 14:48Sat Jul 11 14:48:48 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 627

I covered this in my first post.

By ShelfSFC10/7 17:02Fri Jul 10 17:02:00 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1049

Listening to Rev's interviews he is very much looking for players with a certain attitude and mindset. Much of the recruitment will be players that feel that they have a point to prove I feel.

By Ratman4610/7 17:10Fri Jul 10 17:10:11 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1028

Still need to be good at the footy tho, I've got the right mindset and attitude to play for us, I'm just not very good anymore.

Not Marquee signings but with the uncertainty of what league we'll be in understandable.

By AgentEves10/7 22:12Fri Jul 10 22:12:13 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 850

Attitude is more important than ability.

That's not to say ability isn't important, but ability with a poor attitude is Kurtis Guthrie.

5 people like this 5 people

By Taz10/7 17:14Fri Jul 10 17:14:25 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1028

Is it understandable though? That's my question. With the impending doom and destruction so many have talked about with financial difficulties and clubs being in trouble, why are we signing players from 2 divisions below us when there will likely be a number of desperate players from leagues above having to come down?

By AgentEves10/7 22:13Fri Jul 10 22:13:40 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 862

Because why do we want to be signing potential mercenaries from the Championship/League One, over up-and-coming hungry players from non-league with a point to prove.

It's not like the genuinely good Championship/League One cast offs are going to be rushing to sign with us, is it?

By Taz11/7 00:53Sat Jul 11 00:53:33 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 814

I would suggest that 'up-and-coming' would have a better record than the average for the division. One goal every three games two divisions down is not inspiring to me.

By Puds (Chuds)11/7 10:03Sat Jul 11 10:03:23 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 721

Why do you keep saying two divisions down?

We aren't in L1.

By Taz11/7 14:57Sat Jul 11 14:57:47 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 629

Fair enough - Effiong has 28 goals in 90 games in last 2 seasons in the Conference. His best season was 23 in 35 in Southern League.
Akinwande - Billericay. Two divisions down.
Osborne - Most of his career at Nat North. Last season Conference. 11 games in League Two. By far the most experienced.
Marshall - Nat South. Two divisions down.

By Puds (Chuds)11/7 16:07Sat Jul 11 16:07:13 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 633

But you kept talking about strike rate two divisions below. Effiong was one of the top scorers in the Conference this season.

He isn't young, but you could argue that is good as it means he is experienced enough to be a more rounded player and better used to handling the defenders he comes up against.

I have watched him play quite often. Frequently for Biggleswade Town, a number of times for Woking and a number of times for Dover. Whilst his strike rate isn't breathtaking, it is up there in the division and he contributes so much more than just goals with his play. Plus staff and fans of every club he has played for really like him. For his effort and attitude on and off the pitch as much as his goals. Woking fans love him and he didn't even play that many games for them!

Granted I don't know a great deal about the others but if we are signing players like Inih who are going to put their all in every week without question, and who have some quality to go alongside it (albeit perhaps at a lower level) then I will at least go home from games happy with them. Something I haven't done for some time now.

FWIW I am content with our signings thus far. I like that Revs has clearly targeted how he is going to play and the types of players (and characters) that will suit what he wants, and that we have gone out and got them before others get the chance. I think we are signing guys who can be added to the squad we have already retained who will be able to hold their own and keep us up if we remain a L2 club, or has us in the top third and pushing for promotion if we go down. But crucially without risking financial suicide. I am sure once we know for definite which division we will be in, and when more players from higher league are without clubs and more affordable, we will add them to strengthen the squad further.

5 people like this 5 people

By Tucks11/7 17:25Sat Jul 11 17:25:56 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 566

This. It feels like there is direction, a blueprint. The way Revs has spoken about the signings is positive. I never really felt that under Dino, more than it was a rag-tag bunch who weren’t wanted elsewhere.

By AgentEves11/7 17:39Sat Jul 11 17:39:23 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 559

BuT wE nEeD tO sIgN pLaYeRs FrOm LeAgUe OnE.

By Taz11/7 16:32Sat Jul 11 16:32:30 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 599

"But you kept talking about strike rate two divisions below"

- Yes, this is where the overwhelming majority of experience in these four signings comes from. If any of them were blowing it up in those divisions I'd be a little more inspired.

"Whilst his strike rate isn't breathtaking, it is up there in the division..."

- I accept, I completely failed to compare him to his peers. An error on my part. With the number of games reduced, he would likely have scored 20-22 goals.

When you watched him at Biggleswade he was on fire, and an amazing scoring ratio. If we were in the Southern Premier I'd be over the moon and consider this an astonishing signing.

By AgentEves11/7 17:27Sat Jul 11 17:27:26 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 575

But a player who is scoring 16 goals in a reduced conference season isn't going to sign for a southern premier team is he?

I'm honestly finding your arguments bizarre. Its like your judgment of who we should be targeting and who would be interesting is way off reality.

By Taz11/7 17:53Sat Jul 11 17:53:33 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 559

"But a player who is scoring 16 goals in a reduced conference season isn't going to sign for a southern premier team is he?"

I believe the word I used was "astonishing

On the second part, again, my reasoning is based on the expected mass release of experienced players at higher levels looking for a home. In normal circumstances I would view our signings as good business. If the mass exodus from above doesn't happen, we've probably done some OK business, especially if we do go down.

By AgentEves11/7 20:48Sat Jul 11 20:48:16 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 506

"In normal circumstances I would view our signings as good business."

"If the mass exodus from above doesn't happen, we've probably done some OK business."

Wait. So in normal circumstances they're good signings, but if the current situation turns out to be normal circumstances (no mass exodus) then they're only OK signings?

The only thing astonishing is your level of negativity.

By Taz11/7 20:59Sat Jul 11 20:59:20 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 499

This is 100% my position. I'm glad we got there. :)

I believe these would be decent signings if we were rebuilding in the Conference and the transfer market was somewhat predictable.

As I said, time will tell. If we've been promoted this time next season and these guys have been key players, I'll put my hands up and say I was completely wrong.

By Owen B11/7 20:49Sat Jul 11 20:49:51 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 508

You've become too Canadian. All of us Brits are negative 24/7. Stick to your ice ball.

In seriousness, how are you doing? Canada suiting you well?

By AgentEves11/7 21:47Sat Jul 11 21:47:38 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 481

I'm not too bad, thanks for asking. I go through periods where I really miss home. Weirdly, us being utter dogshit was making me miss going to games.

That being said, overall I'm much happier here. My asthma is basically non-existent, I'm generally more active because I have so much access to the outdoors without needing to travel far, and, I know its a stereotype, but the people are, on the whole, very friendly.

I'm coaching women's football, and have found a really good group of girls, so that's a really rewarding way to spend my time. And I really like my job and the company I work for are incredible.

So, all in all, things are good!

How are you? Still working in the City?

By Owen B11/7 21:56Sat Jul 11 21:56:26 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 470

Great, wherabouts are you? I presume wherever it is has a lot less traffic. It sounds like your masochist side is coming out though! You have definitely made the right choice by watching from afar.

Yeah still in the City, although working from home since mid-March, following government advice, which suits me. Still got a job, although some of my salary has been deferred, most of which is offset by my train ticket refund!

Glad to hear about you coaching, you always seemed to have a very keen eye on nuance.

By AgentEves12/7 01:59Sun Jul 12 01:59:22 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 456

I'm in Vancouver. Population is about 2.5m in the Lower Mainland (Greater Vancouver) and about 600k in actual Vancouver. So significantly fewer people than London, which brings less traffic, like you say. Although people in Vancouver love to complain about traffic...

I'm also WFH. Very lucky that my job has, for the most part, stayed exactly the same.

I bet its great not having to get the train every day. I dont miss commuting at all.

By Taz11/7 21:00Sat Jul 11 21:00:57 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 498

If he were proper Canadian he'd have apologized for disagreeing with me, eh? ;)

By AgentEves11/7 21:54Sat Jul 11 21:54:35 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 477

No idea what you're sayin' there, bud.

By Taz11/7 22:02Sat Jul 11 22:02:36 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 493

Just a joke - sorry, eh?

By AgentEves12/7 02:00Sun Jul 12 02:00:28 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 460

Haha. I was just trying to cram in the use of the word Bud. Although that's more of a maritime thing than a BC thing!

By Taz12/7 02:16Sun Jul 12 02:16:30 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 448

I'm actually only about 2 1/2 hours from the Canadian border, but it would take a good 2-3 days to drive to Vancouver. Would like to head out west though, I think it must be stunning scenery.

By AgentEves12/7 06:24Sun Jul 12 06:24:18 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 450

I forget... you're somewhere Midwest, right? Wisconsin?

Once you get west of Calgary, there's some pretty incredible scenery, the Rockies and then down into the Kootenays. Then it flattens out a bit through the interior into coastal BC. Then its more forested and the mountain range is a little less dramatic than the Rockies. Well worth a trip though: there's lots to do out West, especially if you like camping, hiking, cycling, that sort of thing.

By Taz12/7 15:09Sun Jul 12 15:09:19 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 379

Michigan, although I'm in the forgotten part that pokes out of Wisconsin. We have family near Seattle, I'd love to visit out there, mountains are my favorite landscape by far.

By Owen B11/7 21:02Sat Jul 11 21:02:27 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 500

Too right, eh.

By AgentEves11/7 08:37Sat Jul 11 08:37:42 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 716

We also signed Effiong who scored 16 goals last season. The top scorer in the Division only got 20.

Of the players who scored more goals: Scott Quigley (20) and John Rooney (17) play for Barrow, so obviously they're not going to be signing with us. Jamie Reid (18) has signed for Mansfield. Kabongo Tshimanga (18) and Rhys Murphy (17) both play for teams in the Playoffs (Boreham Wood and Yeovil).

So we have, literally, signed the most prolific goalscorer in the Conference last year that would have likely been available AND would have actually been interested in signing for us.

But, yeah, all we're doing is signing shit from two leagues below us.

7 people like this 7 people

By Taz11/7 15:14Sat Jul 11 15:14:08 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 597

-------> My original post ------->

Your head.

My original point was simply this: With the current financial climate and the number of players likely to be released from clubs at all levels, I am surprised we haven't signed more experienced players at higher level instead of players who have spent large portions of their careers below us, mostly at 2 or more divisions lower.

Do they always work out? No. But if, as the fear-mongers have been suggesting, we do see a large number of experienced players released they are likely to be a little hungrier than 'mercenaries' have been in the past to get back to where they once were. Not sure why this is such a controversial opinion to be honest.

Great research on Effiong, to be honest, I failed to compare against others in his league and I should have.

By AgentEves11/7 17:33Sat Jul 11 17:33:47 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 546

I think Deano covers your argument about signing players from higher divisions.

A) There are a LOT of L2 teams ahead of us to sign those players and B) to Deano's point, they likely won't be available for the wages we can afford until they've been without a club for a while and accepted they need to drop their wage demands.

Ultimately, this idea that teams can't afford the same wages as they could before applies to everyone. So League One players could end up just signing with different League One teams, but on reduced wages. There's a possibility that it all filters down, but I suspect the Championship (for the most part) and the PL teams will be fine and so won't be releasing players en masse, which means there won't be a filtering down of players.

You're using one scenario, which may not even be happening, and using it to criticise all of our early season signings. When the reality is that they're exactly that - early season signings. Players only got released 2 weeks ago!

By Taz11/7 18:02Sat Jul 11 18:02:02 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 528

"You're using one scenario, which may not even be happening..."

Correct, but it is a scenario that has been discussed by a lot of people in the game. There have been a lot of people talking about clubs going out of business, and not being able to afford players like they did last season (when many couldn't afford what they had anyway).

Time will tell.

By Ratman4610/7 17:18Fri Jul 10 17:18:12 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1008

On both sides here, players coming down is an issue as what are they dropping for, money etc? No ambition? Not sure I want those.

Would prefer a Godden to a Guthrie.

By Taz10/7 17:21Fri Jul 10 17:21:33 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 998

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree. However, in a scenario where teams may be cutting from a squad of 35 to 25, there will (in theory) be a ton of players funneling down the leagues who would be great signings.
However, this does assume the doom and gloom everyone has been selling is accurate and teams really are in a ton of poo.

By Deano (deanos13)10/7 22:49Fri Jul 10 22:49:29 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 856

These players funnelling down will still want 1500 a week. And we won't be paying that.

There will be exceptions. Like Salford and like Mansfield. We'll have to pick up the big boys when they need to accept 1000 to 1200. That'll be August.

By Taz11/7 00:47Sat Jul 11 00:47:06 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 789

I'm not really even talking about big boys, just players who have maybe done OK at a higher level. We're currently signing players who have been average in divisions below us.
I'd prefer an average League One/Two player than an average Conference South player, that's really all I'm saying.

By AgentEves11/7 09:03Sat Jul 11 09:03:30 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 720

WHY ARE YOU OBSESSED WITH ONE SIGNING OUT OF FOUR?!

All you keep doing is bleeting on about Akinwande and how average he is. He hasn't even played for us yet. You have, I'm assuming, never seen him play. Give the geezer a fucking chance.

And anyway, why do you think average League One players would be signing for us? Even if we stay up, we're perennially average. We get small crowds and likely aren't going anywhere anytime soon. You might as well be complaining because we're not signing Ronaldo.

And as for average League Two players... you mean like Chris Stokes? Who half way through the season decided he didn't fancy helping us get out of the shit he got us in to so fucked off? Or how about Kurtis Guthrie? The lazy mercenary who couldn't give the slightest shit about trying to get us out of the trouble his abject performances got us into. Or maybe its Paul Digby that you're after? A player who played in almost every single game last season, and contributed, just as everyone else did, to us winning 3 games all sseason.

Two of our best players last season were Paul Farman and Charlie Carter. Farman signed from Lincoln (who were L2 at the time) but had only featured in 13 of their games the previous season and had never played a game in the Football League prior to that. Charlie Carter came from Chesterfield (Conference) where he scored 4 goals in 20 (1 in 5) the previous season. Which, incidentally, is a lower return than one of our signings this season, Elliott Osbourne, who scored 9 in 42 (1 in 4.6).

We have signed one potentially excellent player, one pretty decent player, a low-risk gamble and a youngster. I'd say, all things considered, we've done pretty well.

By Taz11/7 15:00Sat Jul 11 15:00:27 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 594

I'm uninspired by the goal ratios of either striker. As it happens, I think Akinwande at 24 is likely the better signing of the two. Not sure where you think I'm obsessed with any of them, I've been discussing them as a group.

By AgentEves11/7 17:38Sat Jul 11 17:38:05 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 541

You keep going on about "strike rate two divisions below us". Like Chuds said: we're not in League One. We've signed two players from the Conference and two from the Conference South. So only 50% of our signings are from two divisions below us (and very possibly only one division below us if we end up in the Conference) so how can you be talking about the group of signings when what you're talking about only really applies to one of them?

At this point, I dont really understand how you're maintaining your argument. Almost every single point you have made has been met with a rational and well thought out opposition (by several different posters). I think you might have to accept you're off the mark on this one.

By Taz11/7 18:03Sat Jul 11 18:03:38 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 569

"[H]ow can you be talking about the group of signings when what you're talking about only really applies to one of them?"

Because I'm not looking at just one season. As I just said in another post, time will tell.

By Sev11/7 12:59Sat Jul 11 12:59:31 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 633

Digby didn't play almost every game.

His debut was when he came on against Walsall at CB on 23 November. He'd been injured up until then. We were already shit at that point so coming into a team after being out 3 months and never having played for the club isnt the ideal situation.

He made 19 further appearances according to Boroguide.

I thought he did alright overall, filling in at CB, RB and CM when needed.

Edited by Sev at 12:59:38 on 11th July 2020

By AgentEves11/7 17:42Sat Jul 11 17:42:16 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 568

Interesting. Ok, I'm off the mark on Digby.

That being said, 19 games is still roughly half the season, so it's fair to say he made a decent contribution to us getting relegated, albeit not a great one. I'd still put him in the same camp - he came from a team in the same Division who did well the previous season (FGR), which is the type of signing that Taz is calling for, yet was unremarkable.

By Deano (deanos13)12/7 19:09Sun Jul 12 19:09:07 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 367

Your not. He wasn't anywhere near good enough. He was culpable for 3 goals in the last few games.

The new gaffer could have kept Digby if he'd fancied him. There would have been a trigger. But he didn't.

That's enough for me.

By AgentEves12/7 20:29Sun Jul 12 20:29:44 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 346

I meant off the mark in terms of how much of the season he was involved in.

I never thought he was good enough. He was just less shit than Nugent.

By Sev10/7 19:43Fri Jul 10 19:43:12 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 952

Football teams don't cut their outgoings when their income falls, they just rack up debts and don't pay it without any consequences.

They'll all still be offering stupid wages to players and we wouldn't be able to compete with teams like Bolton for the best of who becomes available.

Might as well just get players we think are good for the money we can afford. Yeah they may turn out shit but so might the 10 guys you sign that were let go from League One sides who made 15 sub appearances last season.

Plus we have retained 6 players from last season and if we were in League 2 I think more likely Newton and Farman could sign. Fact we haven't heard anything suggests they're waiting for something (possibly on what other offers they can get)

By Tucks10/7 19:37Fri Jul 10 19:37:25 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 918

Theory and practice are different things however.

I’d say these signings all have the potential to be good for us. We don’t know where they’re going to fit in to the squad as yet and until we do we can’t write them off. We don’t even know what league we’re in.

There’s a lot of concern about where players are coming from and “X played for Arsenal so he must be good.” We’ve seen both sides of that coin (Freeman - good, Jebb - shit). We should be more interested in where players are going not where they were before we signed them.

By Paulio10/7 17:09Fri Jul 10 17:09:13 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1000

They were probably all being scouted when Westley was here, so I imagine they’ll all be his sort of players.

By Taz10/7 17:12Fri Jul 10 17:12:44 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 995

So we're rebuilding a squad of big, strong and physical players at Conference level who were scouted with Westley's style in mind. #We5tleyIn

By Owen B10/7 19:26Fri Jul 10 19:26:29 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 930

I've heard Wezza is coming back next month.

By AndyC11/7 07:38Sat Jul 11 07:38:24 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 729

He must be on the line up for the manager consultant role which we employ a new one of every few months

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)10/7 14:16Fri Jul 10 14:16:12 2020In response to 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1199

A new season is always exciting, because it is an unknown, especially with so many new faces and after such a long lay-off.

I shall reserve judgement on how good they are until I've seen them perform but it can't be worse than last season. For that reason I am optimistic.

If Revs can get a tempo and a level of controlled aggression from them, that's a start and a base to build from.

They won't click straight away, that's asking too much given the step up many are making and the fact it's virtually, and rightly, a whole new squad.

By Sev10/7 11:46Fri Jul 10 11:46:16 2020In response to 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1386

I think we are planning for both scenarios to some extent. Getting hungry non league players that are on their way up rather than lower league journeymen just in it for the money like Guthrie. Attitude over ability.

I'm sure we'll add some league experience to complement if we find ourselves still in League 2.

6 people like this 6 people

By Boromatt10/7 14:09Fri Jul 10 14:09:14 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1194

I agree Sev. Weren’t enough hunger in the team last season, not enough heart and die hard attitude to win games. We need that back at Boro.

By Paulio10/7 11:03Fri Jul 10 11:03:34 2020In response to 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1430

They’re better than what we had, so improvement whichever league we’re in.

By SparkyToes10/7 10:33Fri Jul 10 10:33:21 2020In response to 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1464

To my mind, the approach the club are taking makes financial sense. I can't wait to go and watch this new team play and cheer them on.

By Rotterdamboro10/7 10:23Fri Jul 10 10:23:56 2020In response to 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1573

I’m not sure how you can be ‘impressed’ by Marshall’s signing - unless you’ve seen him play of course. A handful of appearances for a side ninth in Conference South doesn’t exactly have the wow factor does it?

By Cruffers10/7 10:49Fri Jul 10 10:49:04 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1422

Watch his YouTube montage. He seems to have a bit of everything about him. He won’t have the ‘Wow Factor’ yet but he’s got this opportunity to impress.

By AndyC10/7 13:24Fri Jul 10 13:24:13 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1248

You could put a YouTube montage together of every single player we had last year and they'd all look good. Doesn't mean they're going to be any good over 50+ games a season

By Ratman4610/7 17:12Fri Jul 10 17:12:45 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 989

Haber's was impressive 👍

By Mr Happy SFC10/7 14:40Fri Jul 10 14:40:13 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1138

I'm not sure you could.

By Cruffers10/7 13:25Fri Jul 10 13:25:18 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1238

True but my pint glass is half full.

By Puds (Chuds)10/7 14:05Fri Jul 10 14:05:41 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1192

POETS for you today then?

By Cruffers10/7 15:04Fri Jul 10 15:04:17 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1111

Yep. The one joy of not working the theatre world anymore.

By Boromatt10/7 10:38Fri Jul 10 10:38:31 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1477

He must be a talented player if he was playing for Ipswich under 23's before he signed for Maidstone. Revs likes the look of him, I'm quite happy with the signing.

By Paulio10/7 11:03Fri Jul 10 11:03:04 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1390

Jack Jebb.

By Cruffers10/7 11:04Fri Jul 10 11:04:28 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1407

Yeah but Jack Jebb doesn’t look like Dolph Lundgren.

By Tucks10/7 14:59Fri Jul 10 14:59:53 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1136

If he dies, he dies.

Edited by Tucks at 15:00:13 on 10th July 2020

By Freemo10/7 15:06Fri Jul 10 15:06:12 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1126

Cuthbert carrying a log up a snowy mountain?

By Rotterdamboro10/7 10:49Fri Jul 10 10:49:14 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1430

Tyler Denton was at Leeds for five years. He was shit

By Boromatt10/7 11:35Fri Jul 10 11:35:17 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1356

Luke Freeman was at arsenal for a few years... It's about the player and their growth in the game. Just look at Ben Wilmot.

Edited by Boromatt at 11:35:47 on 10th July 2020

By Rotterdamboro10/7 12:54Fri Jul 10 12:54:41 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1272

I quite agree. But playing for Ipswich under-23 is certainly, with all due respect to the player, not something to get excited about

By Hitchin Callling10/7 13:22Fri Jul 10 13:22:54 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1238

Tell that to Tommy Smith who we had on loan from them.Plus players like Lescalles we had on loan from Notts F now Newcastle captain.Can also throw in Chair who was originally a QPR youth player.

By AgentEves10/7 16:34Fri Jul 10 16:34:49 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1038

I think the point is that you can't get excited just because they've played for a higher division youth team...

By Ratman4610/7 17:15Fri Jul 10 17:15:41 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 997

Who was it we had on loan from Swansea?

On an absolute fortune for doing nothing in the game other than youth football, didn't last in the league either once released.

By Puds (Chuds)10/7 17:22Fri Jul 10 17:22:09 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1016

Curtis Obeng.

Signed for Radcliffe Borough a few weeks back.

By Tucks11/7 17:59Sat Jul 11 17:59:29 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 529

So he’s come out of retirement. Sure he’s the one I remember seeing in an Audi R8 on insta while he was on loan with us. Madness.

By Ratman4610/7 17:23Fri Jul 10 17:23:16 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 982

That's him, playing for a bit of fun now then.

By Freemo10/7 17:21Fri Jul 10 17:21:24 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 998

Curtis Obeng? Always use him as an example of what the system does for youth. Good player, on too much for anyone at his level (League One) to afford, now in the Northern Premier.

By Ratman4610/7 17:23Fri Jul 10 17:23:50 2020In response to Re: 4 SigningsTop of thread

Views: 994

That's him 👍

Previous thread: FA CRAZY PLAN ? by Hitchin Callling11/7 11:59Sat Jul 11 11:59:18 2020view thread