ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Sign of things to come ? by WASPToday 18:33Today at 18:33:36view thread

Oldest article: The Masonic Macclesfield Orange EFL Order by Roulette Len19/6 22:52Fri Jun 19 22:52:21 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Luke Prosser signs by Mercury 8810/8 18:07Mon Aug 10 18:07:17 2020view thread

National League

By Puds (Chuds)8/8 19:10Sat Aug 8 19:10:37 2020

Views: 1335

Points raised at Wrexham's AGM today that may be relevant to us:

- National League has advised clubs not to sell Season Tickets.
- Stadium capacity reduced to 25%.
- Fixtures set to be released Sept 8th.
- Season set to start Oct 3rd, but is subject to change.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Re: National League

By Hitchin Callling9/8 10:55Sun Aug 9 10:55:16 2020In response to National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1006

25% of whole grounds or just the seats .If latter we will be capped at around 1200.

By RedandWhite8/8 20:19Sat Aug 8 20:19:54 2020In response to National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1126

So if the season is subject to change then the EFL will not relegate us as there is no guarantee that this league will start??

By Paulio8/8 20:23Sat Aug 8 20:23:50 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1075

I think the wording was that that we were accepted by a league. (Happy to be corrected?)

The conference will accept us. It’s just I decided on when the season will start yet.

Edited by Paulio at 20:24:02 on 8th August 2020

By Sev8/8 20:33Sat Aug 8 20:33:37 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1064

I don't know the specifics but I thought that it was as long as there was a league for us to be relegated into. So as long as the conference could guarantee there would be a season then we would be relegated.

It sounds like there definitely will be a season (regardless of an uncertain start date) so presumably they will have given assurances to the EFL and thus we can be relegated, pending the EFL appeal against Macclesfield.

By AndyC9/8 09:57Sun Aug 9 09:57:20 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 970

The wording was

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play). 

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2/

I think at the moment there is still clearly the intention for National League to have a 20/21 season, although the start date is dependent on how bad this second spike gets

By Owen B9/8 10:09Sun Aug 9 10:09:09 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 944

I think it will start, it's whether the second spike occurs in the winter and we get the same situation as the season just gone.

By AndyC9/8 10:33Sun Aug 9 10:33:06 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 926

The 2nd spike has already started and October is 2 months away. The UCL modelling from March had the second spike in October-November and that looks about right.

Reckon the internationals and football league starting in Sept will be ok and then it's all just how bad it gets and how many footballers start testing positive or not as to whether football will be impacted

By Paulio9/8 11:32Sun Aug 9 11:32:27 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 903

Where has this second spike started? Nothing to suggest it has.

By AndyC9/8 12:37Sun Aug 9 12:37:55 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 848

By Taz9/8 14:31Sun Aug 9 14:31:04 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 792

What that shows is a steady increase. If we remember back to the beginning, before everyone started to lose their minds and everyone was fearful and needed the government to think for them, the idea was to 'flatten the curve' so hospitals didn't become overwhelmed. What you're showing in the graphic appears to be a slow and gradual increase, which if it continues, is flattening the curve, not a spike and is part of the plan.

The other great thing to look at with UK numbers is that for the last 5 weeks you've actually decreased your expected number of deaths by just over 1,200 people.

All deaths COVID-19 5yr Avg Difference Weeks
340,262 48,236 288,814 51,448 Weeks 1-29
298,225 45,793 245,552 52,673 Weeks 1-24
188,569 45,793 131,471 57,098 Weeks 13-24
230,606 48,236 174,733 55,873 Weeks 13-29

However, the downside in the US (haven't seen numbers for the UK) is that teenagers are dying at a much higher than expected rate, but not because of COVID, but because of the lack of social interaction and fear being crammed into their heads. They are dying from drug abuse and suicide at a much higher rate. It appears our 'new normal' is destroying our youth and future.

Here are the facts:
More young people dying.
More overall cases.
Fewer deaths than expected for 5 weeks straight.

I couldn't find number of tests being conducted, but based on what I see, I think the increase in cases is likely due to an increase in testing. The other really good news here is that if the number of cases has increased, but the number of deaths is down (these are facts), the virus has a lower mortality rate than previously thought.

Front brain logic > Rear brain fear.

By Ratman4610/8 09:52Mon Aug 10 09:52:09 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 470

A&E at Lister has been busy with young people taking overdoses.

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)10/8 10:13Mon Aug 10 10:13:03 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 466

Last time I looked there was no evidence that self harm and suicide rates had risen during Lockdown. Current evidence is anecdotal at best.

I saw one study from Japan that showed the extra family time actually reduced mental health issues and rates had fallen.

I don't deny that a lot of vulnerable people will have struggled but I'm not sure we can equate the impact of that with the Covid death rate, maybe long term, but equally every Covid death causes families potential long term MH issues (grief) and many Covid survivors will struggle with long term physical issues, especially in lungs and other major organs

By Taz10/8 14:35Mon Aug 10 14:35:59 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 406

Director of the CDC: "But there has been another cost that we’ve seen, particularly in high schools," Redfield said. "We’re seeing, sadly, far greater suicides now than we are deaths from COVID. We’re seeing far greater deaths from drug overdose that are above excess that we had as background than we are seeing the deaths from COVID. So this is why I keep coming back for the overall social being of individuals, is let’s all work together and find out how we can find common ground to get these schools open in a way that people are comfortable and they're safe."
/townhall.com/tipsheet/micaelaburrow/2020/07/28/redfield-says-more-abovebase-suicides-than-covid-deaths-n2573278

Alcohol consumption has increased - which will have detrimental influence on both psychological and physical health. /alcoholchange.org.uk/blog/2020/covid19-drinking-during-lockdown-headline-findings

Study looking at projection based on slow, medium or fast recovery and number of deaths tied to unemployment - where correlation has been shown to be true in the past. - /wellbeingtrust.org/news/new-wbt-robert-graham-center-analysis-the-covid-pandemic-could-lead-to-75000-additional-deaths-from-alcohol-and-drug-misuse-and-suicide/ -

Japan didn't enforce a lock down, and even if it did they're a collectivist not individualist society - any comparison of a social aspect to make a point on UK/US culture has no relevance.

Another story of an increase in kids self-harming: /www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-08/young-people-self-harming-end-up-in-hospital-emergency-rooms/12532040

More 'anecdotal evidence' (or as I like to call it, qualitative data): /www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-symptoms-mental-health-lockdown-social-distancing-a9424401.html

You can try and shake it however you want - the inability to actually live is destroying people's psychological health, and it's only a matter of time before we do see some real numbers showing how horrific this is to our mental health. I bet you a Twix that in 5 years time the psychological impacts will be seen to have been much worse than anyone expected, and very possibly worse than the virus itself.

I'll even go another step further. The impact of chronic and ongoing stress and anxiety on a person has a direct effect on physical health that can lead to death such as heart disease and cancer.

Don't take my word for it, here's an article in the Lancet: /www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30171-1/fulltext

By Gitts n Grattz10/8 16:58Mon Aug 10 16:58:05 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 372

Friend of mine in Hackney (originally from the Congo) was made redundant not long before all this started. Had started to apply for jobs. Then got what he thought was Covid (unconfirmed) and self isolated. Later recovered but lockdown was in full flow.

Has no relatives here. His only other major social outlet was teaching taekwondo but obviously had to suspend that too. Had some other health issues (diabetic) and didn’t keep up his appointments.

We found out he passed away last week and the rumour was that it was the virus.

Turns out he fell from his 14th floor balcony.

By Taz10/8 17:32Mon Aug 10 17:32:09 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 333

I'm truly so sorry to hear this. As Balders will attest, right from the beginning of this crisis I've been very vocal regarding the need to make mental health a priority, I maintain my position, and as time goes by I become more convinced I'm correct to take this stance.
I strongly believe that no matter how many people die from the virus, the greater issue will be the psychological and social damage inflicted on society. I am 100% prepared to die on this hill - even from the virus.

3 people like this 3 people

By Gitts n Grattz10/8 17:53Mon Aug 10 17:53:59 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 324

That post was definitely to show my agreement to yours.

The people that knew him are convinced, I feel rightly, that had this recent pandemic scenario not happened or had things been at least slightly different - he would not have done it.

I’m not suggesting it would have made a total difference - to get to that stage is as rational as it is irrational depending on which angle you approach it.

But things like the current modern way of communicating, the current trend of media and news, the confusion caused by all the misguided approaches to “how you should live your life” and the general fucking awful humourless, patronising, condescending, creativity killing, faux liberal bullshit that’s going on - added to a virus (and its handling) - well it’s pretty much undoubtedly going to tip someone close to the edge OVER THE EDGE.

Edited by Gitts n Grattz at 17:57:36 on 10th August 2020

By Taz10/8 18:30Mon Aug 10 18:30:11 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 307

I agree 100% with one exception. I'm not convinced it's only people close to the edge. I think if this continues we'll see people who aren't all that close to the edge going over it, especially kids.
Here's an analogy I used with a friend on Saturday when we went out for dinner. We had just finished eating and he was talking about how people are now seen as essential workers who weren't considered essential 6 months ago, so he was saying 'surely they're always essential'.
He has a great point, they are. However, there's another side to it.
Food is essential, we need it to survive.
Having just finished eating, I asked if he wanted a sandwich - he didn't. But if food is essential, why not?
Because the need wasn't as urgent after stuffing 15 wings down his throat as it would be if he hadn't eaten for a week.
So how does this play into 'the edge'. Consider our social and emotional well-being as being our minds being fed. When we're able to eat regularly we remain healthy (discounting over-eating, we'll get to that), and although food is always essential, when we have enough of it, it doesn't cause us to act in abnormal or desperate ways. A human with regular access to nutritious food is extremely unlikely to resort to picking leftovers out of restaurant bins.
Likewise, a kid who is able to have regular access to their social circle, explore life, find their identity, go to school, be active and social etc is less likely to experience emotional or psychological issues. They're fed, there's no problem.
However, what happens when the food (physical or psychological) is in short supply? Someone who was once completely healthy becomes a little less healthy. Then they become even less healthy, and eventually they become desperate. As we know, desperate people do desperate things.
So what about over-eating? Well, my equivalency there is social media. It's an abundance of crap that fills the brain with nothing healthy in a constant stream of fake socialization and connections, but it never actually delivers anything of substance or nutrition. Basically, in isolation, the options are social starvation or buckets of social junk food leading to obesity, which is no more healthy than starvation - both bring death.

By Gitts n Grattz10/8 19:08Mon Aug 10 19:08:44 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 288

Well I can say again - I never said it was ONLY those close to the edge. You can’t misquote people and go off on one. It’s already happened to me today with the other stuff. It’s like some people are just ready for an argument or they are preemptive of someone they don’t actually know. That’s not good.

And that is also one of the bad sides of social media.

Of course I agree with your concerns. The children thing is particularly serious. I mean - besides all else that had gone on since being a child in the 80s, 90s and 2000s... it’s very different very fast. Technology, interaction and everything besides. What a freak show they are being brought into now.

Add this to the uncertainties of regulations and control over if they can go to school if they can finish their exams and, again, everything besides, plus the weirdness of dehumanising everyone with not only social media - now bloody ridiculous masks. If the masks actually prove to make a difference it’s still a very strange world for a toddler, youth, teenager or young adult to come into.

Plus taking religion away as a positive role model for life and also opening up a million possibilities to a young mind - it is just a mind fk. The children are the ones who will suffer the most but perhaps they won’t be so aware of it.

It’s an endless discussion and debate.

By Taz10/8 19:11Mon Aug 10 19:11:58 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 294

I didn't 'go off on one' - well, I mean, I did a little, but in complete agreement with you, not disagreement. I wasn't trying to misquote you, simply add to what you had said.
I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was disagreeing with you, I wasn't, simply reinforcing all you said in all my posts.

EDIT - On the subject of social media, if you want to be truly perturbed by the state of things, check out the stats of what young kids and teens are exposed to and how early: /www.bark.us/

Edited by Taz at 19:14:20 on 10th August 2020

By Gitts n Grattz11/8 12:49Tue Aug 11 12:49:54 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 227

No worries at all. Wasn’t offended or anything. The tone of what I was writing is easy to mistake too. Guess I was showing a bit of defensiveness again(!!) as as soon as you do make any serious points on any online platform it just gets thrown into scrutiny and misinterpretation - then even grammar police have a go too if your thumb slips or predictive text gets the better of you 🤣

Makes you (ie me) end up sounding like you’re writing a police statement or a last will and testament haha.

That link is scary. Control and surveillance. Like tracking and chipping and the end of other freedoms. The world is edging towards everyone saying “yes it is a good idea for us to have less rights, yes it is a good idea to have everything about us monitored, yes it is a good idea to wear masks and rely on technology and the media and the government and have restrictions on what we can say and when”. It’s certainly getting there fast 😳

Edited by Gitts n Grattz at 12:53:36 on 11th August 2020

Re: National League (Off-topic *Horse, barn doors, etc.)

By Taz11/8 15:06Tue Aug 11 15:06:50 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 164

Sadly, this is very true "it just gets thrown into scrutiny and misinterpretation". People want to find things to be offended about, and it's difficult to put your full thoughts into a social media forum.
I agree on the tracking, they've been finding Hong Kong protesters through track and trace.
The thing I think many don't understand or choose to ignore is that whatever measures they support or condone for their opponents today will still be in place when they're on the 'wrong' side in the future, and society will swing, it always does.
Did you see the stats on that site? Our kids are being exposed to a lot more adult and unhealthy material at a much younger age, it's crushing healthy development.

Violence: 86.8% of tweens and 89.6% of teens expressed or experienced violent subject matter/thoughts.

Mental Health: 55.1% of tweens and 67.1% of teens engaged in conversations about depression.

Cyberbullying: 76.2% of tweens and 78.4% of teens experienced cyberbullying as a bully, victim, or witness.

Drugs/Alcohol: 75.5% of tweens and 84.6% of teens engaged in conversations surrounding drugs/alcohol.

Self-Harm/Suicide: 35.1% of tweens and 54.4% of teens were involved in a self-harm/suicidal situation.

Sexual Content: 70.7% of tweens and 84.0% of teens encountered nudity or content of a sexual nature.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))10/8 16:43Mon Aug 10 16:43:01 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 370

I was gonna point out that not everyone has 2.4 children and lives in a Hertfordshire type bubble, but you seem to have done a remarkably good job here!

By Freemo10/8 12:36Mon Aug 10 12:36:43 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 390

A colleague of mine has had the little-understood longer term symptoms and I don't fancy it one bit, but then I'm lucky to live near the countryside to alleviate cabin fever.

By Ratman4610/8 10:24Mon Aug 10 10:24:37 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 445

Only evidence I have is the friend who works in A&E there, they're not dying hence being in Hospital and getting the treatment and support they need, she's seeing an increase these last few weeks in young people being admitted.

The longer term damage is still an unknown on every aspect of our lives, whether that be from other illnesses, mental health, poverty etc from this Virus.

3 people like this 3 people

By Taz10/8 14:37Mon Aug 10 14:37:08 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 376

Statistically, these things are connected: other illnesses, mental health, poverty.

By Paulio9/8 14:17Sun Aug 9 14:17:23 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 764

That’s not a spike yet!

By AndyC9/8 17:01Sun Aug 9 17:01:09 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 702

I did say it's started, and not peaking til Oct-Nov.

Infections are increasing again not decreasing, and we've seen how quickly that gets out of hand, especially as so many people have given up on the distancing

2 people like this 2 people

By Sev9/8 18:53Sun Aug 9 18:53:15 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 618

Wait what? We still have to distance? I assumed we could just do what we like now, everyone on the social medias is.

2 people like this 2 people

By Owen B9/8 10:37Sun Aug 9 10:37:37 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 905

It's certainly interesting to see what happens (if you discount how awful it all is), I didn't realise the second spike was predicted as early as October. If leagues pause in October/November, with a handful of games played, will there be more impetus to just cancel the season? No PPG would be viable (if you thought it was a viable model before).

Is there extensive testing taking place in L1, L2 and non-league? As the costs involved were the main reason for the leagues not restarting below the Championship. Or is it felt that NHS tests are now widely available enough?

By Sev9/8 18:59Sun Aug 9 18:59:17 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 613

It's an interesting point about PPG.

Does this season's decision set a precedent? Say next season we only able to play 20 games and they cancel it instead of using PPG, would that open up a can of worms? When is the cut off point for PPG being acceptable or is every decision independent and just decided by majority vote each time. Just some thoughts.

By Puds (Chuds)9/8 21:57Sun Aug 9 21:57:35 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 527

I would imagine that after this it will now be written into the league rules how a repeat would be dealt with.

How that would be I wouldn't like to guess. And maybe I am giving the FA/FL too much credit.

By Sev9/8 22:06Sun Aug 9 22:06:00 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 521

It would probably be simply that in the event of so and so, a majority vote will decide whatever.

Doubt they can be too specific to sort of say if more than half a season gone it will be PPG etc.

By Owen B9/8 19:55Sun Aug 9 19:55:32 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 574

My feeling was that it was only palatable because there were only a handful of matches left. If there were 20+ matches left upon an enforced long hiatus, I don't see PPG being an option and things would be left in limbo.

By Sev9/8 19:57Sun Aug 9 19:57:36 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 599

Two handfuls, technically. 3 if you're from Woking.

By Pete (PeteH)9/8 19:25Sun Aug 9 19:25:46 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 614

If it affected a club like Liverpool or Man City, there'd be legal cases flying all over the shop.

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)10/8 12:11Mon Aug 10 12:11:25 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 411

Admirable trolling of Man Utd there

By AndyC9/8 12:57Sun Aug 9 12:57:31 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 804

Testing of the play off teams was happening, no idea what's happening at the moment with all the club's presumably back to contact training, not seen anything which presumably means they're not being tested, which seems a bit odd

By Freemo9/8 12:46Sun Aug 9 12:46:12 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 817

We need to set ourselves up to be top by Halloween to ensure a quick PPG-led return to the League.

By Mr Happy SFC9/8 15:18Sun Aug 9 15:18:04 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 747

I was thinking the opposite. A bad start and we could be relegated after four games.

By Puds (Chuds)9/8 17:01Sun Aug 9 17:01:06 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 656

Pah. We are going undefeated under Revs.

By Hitchin Callling9/8 10:51Sun Aug 9 10:51:35 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 885

Also they still plan a full season inc FA Cup, Trophy (perhaps no replays) .Hard enough to fit these in with normal late start but could prove silly e g 3 games a week scenario.

By Bragbury1069/8 11:56Sun Aug 9 11:56:30 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 853

a three games a week in the national league would be impossible for most of the clubs.

clubs will have smaller squads due to money problems,

pitches will become unplayable if the weather this winter is bad,

By Roulette Len9/8 08:56Sun Aug 9 08:56:32 2020In response to Re: National LeagueTop of thread

Views: 967

Relegation for Boro and then a rule change soon afterwards.

Previous thread: Stevenage v braintree this wed (PSF) BEHING CLOSED DOORS by worrier10/8 17:35Mon Aug 10 17:35:35 2020view thread