ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Season Ticket cards by SevToday 18:09Today at 18:09:12view thread

Oldest article: The Masonic Macclesfield Orange EFL Order by Roulette Len19/6 22:52Fri Jun 19 22:52:21 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: O/T : EFL & Independent Panels by SFC Jonny 17/8 20:16Mon Aug 17 20:16:10 2020view thread

Chairmen and managers

By jayess15/8 12:35Sat Aug 15 12:35:12 2020

Views: 1517

If you want to know what lies ahead, look behind you.
I don’t mean that in the pantomime sense, but more often than not history provides the most significant clues to the future.
So when PW chose to appoint a former Spurs ‘legend’ as manager, it is a pity he didn’t take note of the last time that was tried at Broadhall Way.
The ‘legend’ in question on that occasion was Alan Gilzean and a season later the club was no more. Chairman Javier Revuelta rightly took most of the blame, but Gilzean played a significant part.
As fast as the chairman put the money in, the 'player manager' (he never actually pulled a Stevenage shirt on in anger) squandered it. Plenty went down his throat. I was sports editor of a local newspaper at the time, and AG’s post match press conferences consisted of playing spoof for large Bacardi and Cokes in the bar. On my wages it was a game I soon learned to be good at.
Fast forward to the appointment of the equally clueless Teddy Sheringham, which is the point at which the seeds were sewn for the complete and utter car crash that was last season. PW has stumbled on from one crap managerial appointment to another since rewarding Graham Westley with the sack for guiding us to the play-offs in 2015. Darren Sarll might have been the exception, given more time. It would have helped had he not chosen to play half a season without a proper goalkeeper and not ditched Charlie Lee and Jobi McAnuff in favour of Jonathan Smith and Chris Whelpdale.

There is a clear pattern to PW’s appointments.
Teddy Sheringham: No previous managerial experience at this level.
Darren Sarll: No previous managerial experience at this level.
Dino Maamria: No previous managerial experience at this level.
Mark Sampson: No previous managerial experience at this level.
You can add Wayne Turner (who thought you could win the Conference with Luton reserves) and Gary Smith (who squandered the largest playing budget we have ever had and even had the nerve to drop Robbo) to that list. Qualification: No previous managerial experience at this level.

I admired Alex Revell as a player. I suspect he is a decent human being, intelligent and reasonably articulate. Unsurprisingly, he has no previous managerial experience at this level. So I have no idea, and I neither does the chairman, whether he has the makings of a successful manager. I would probably have more confidence if Phil would stop telling us what a good choice he is….

I will be forever grateful for the unforgettable journey from mid-table Conference to the verge of the Championship. The win at Kidderminster, which finally fulfilled the dream of Stevenage in the Football League that I shared with other fans more than 30 years before. Stevenage 5 Sheffield Wednesday 1. A fifth round FA Cup replay at White Hart Lane…outside of family births, deaths and love, some of my most memorable days. They are even right up there with a 72pt headline from the Gloucestershire Echo which read “Sellers Destroys Devon” after my son had taken six wickets for not many for Gloucestershire under-elevens. Sadly, St James’s Park, Exeter, seemed to survive the Apocalypse…

Of course Phil Wallace played a major part in that journey League One play-offs. But he has played an equally significant role in the return trip that so nearly saw us back in the Conference. Two salient comments on here stick in the memory.
One from Boromatt, to the effect that PW was so busy building the brand that he lost sight of the fundamental importance of what happens on the pitch. The other was from Paulio, who mentioned that amongst all the rhetoric we have had from the chairman, none of it resembled an apology.

Certainly none has been made to any of us who chucked a few quid into the ‘promotion fund’ a year ago. I didn’t expect to make a profit. I didn’t expect my money back. It was a small gesture of thanks for the pleasure the club has given me over the years. But equally I didn’t expect it to be pissed up the wall on the likes of Taylor, El-Abd, Husin and Rollinson, who were seldom thought good enough to even warm the bench of the worst performing team the Football League has seen for many years.

The real victims last season were the fans. The stuff we paid to witness was beyond dire. I reckon I once drove more than 800 miles to games between goals… So Phil, I am surprised you have had such a soft ride on this Forum for so long. In the words of one of my earlier school reports, Can Do Better, Must Try Harder. And in the meantime, how about uttering that little word that it sometimes takes a big person to say.
How about ‘SORRY’?

reply to this article | return to the front page

14 people like this 14 people

Re: Chairmen and managers

By Rotterdamboro15/8 22:33Sat Aug 15 22:33:19 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 876

Hallelujah brother. If Wallace had been the CEO of any blue chip company he would have been laughed out of the city, such has been the level of incompetence and the abysmal mismanagement of the club. But he owns it so he gets to stumble on, helped by a massive dose of good fortune. It’s very much time, however, to look forward and not back. Who knows, Revs might take to management - certainly the signings so far offer some optimism but we’ve been there before haven’t we. Get a few points on the board early doors and we can all start to put the horrors of last season behind us

3 people like this 3 people

By Owen B16/8 08:39Sun Aug 16 08:39:22 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 746

If it comes to pass that Revs has made you even slightly optimistic, he will have done a fantastic, maybe even impossible, job.

2 people like this 2 people

By Paulio15/8 23:20Sat Aug 15 23:20:18 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 796

I like what Revs says and he makes me feel wanted.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Taz15/8 22:47Sat Aug 15 22:47:15 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 798

You mean a company like Lamex?

By Sev15/8 22:43Sat Aug 15 22:43:25 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 791

He's not CEO though is he, he is the owner.

And football cannot be compared to the running of a conventional business, at least not the on field stuff.

Off the field he has kept the club in great shape given the industry within which it operates, and that is what ultimately kept us up (business being managed better than Macclesfield).

Granted his manager picks have turned out more often than not to be not great, but as owner that's his prerogative.

5 people like this 5 people

By Boromatt15/8 18:06Sat Aug 15 18:06:55 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 955

Yes Phil has made some awful managerial appointments in the past which has cost us. However, the fight that he’s put up in the past 3-4 months to keep us in the division IMO has made up for that. Lesson learnt, which I’m sure he has and we move on.

All I’ll say is this, he might’ve appointed a great manager in Revs!

By Gitts n Grattz15/8 20:40Sat Aug 15 20:40:38 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 871

I believe the main point is that at no point during that chronological list, so eloquently documented by jayess, has a manager with any real experience of League 2 management (or above) and inevitably meaning “with any success or failure to harness” - been appointed by Phil. Revs may well prove to be good. I really hope he does like any Boro fan. But the rhetoric is that every time anyone lacking any proven credentials has been appointed “he could be a success, give him time, etc.”

If Revs falls flat then PLEASE appoint a manager with some credibility.

In the meantime GO REVS!!!!!

Edited by Gitts n Grattz at 20:42:11 on 15th August 2020
Edited by Gitts n Grattz at 20:43:10 on 15th August 2020

By Tucks15/8 22:14Sat Aug 15 22:14:02 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 790

Experience doesn’t equal credibility. Revs is a credible manager with no experience. Teddy was arguably not a credible manager (on the football side), also with no experience.

By Gitts n Grattz16/8 09:24Sun Aug 16 09:24:48 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 684

You hire a surgeon who has performed successful operations under all kinds of scenarios in a period of 20 years or you hire a man who has just finished medical school. Doesn’t mean the latter won’t be as good or even better than the former but the experience counts for a lot. And not just statistically.

But anyway - just the point that if you’ve had a long list of inexperienced managers who haven’t performed well enough to remain in the job for a long spell and you’ve had to resort to rehiring the same “safe” GW as a plan B (sometimes in desperation) - then it’s pretty obvious that at some point you should try the logical experienced manager route.

So good luck Revs. Hope he hits the ground running. But should he fail - I go back to the essence of jayess’ original post.

By Tucks16/8 10:21Sun Aug 16 10:21:18 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 684

The trouble with that analogy is that surgeons and football managers are nothing alike.

Our inexperienced managers have done no worse than a lot of the experienced managers other clubs hire in reality. Managers seem to have a shelf life of one to two years if that these days. They get sacked when they start to under-perform. Smith, Sarll and Dino were doing a reasonable job at one point or another during their tenures albeit under different circumstances. One got us to the play-offs and the other two almost got us there. They rightly got sacked when things went south. Sheringham was a different matter altogether but he was more than likely appointed to try boost numbers through the gate rather than for any tactical nous. This season was a cluster-fuck from start to finish so experience or no experience controlling the team it was doomed to fail (hindsight being a wonderful thing).

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))16/8 23:29Sun Aug 16 23:29:05 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 393

Go back to Gary Smith and look again

By Boromatt16/8 19:07Sun Aug 16 19:07:30 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 484

I like both points. I think what has been our downfall in the past isn’t just hiring managers with lack of experience overall, but managers who have a lack of experience in the lower leagues full stop. As memory serves me Teddy never played as low as League Two, neither did Sarll, or Dino, or Smith. What I like about Revs is he has played and experienced all of those levels. Maybe not as a manager, but certainly as a player and I think that will be his recipe of success with us. Fingers crossed.

By jayess16/8 14:05Sun Aug 16 14:05:16 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 595

Correction: Under Smith the players got us to the play-offs despite the manager, not because of him.
That team had a momentum of its own. And I was (mainly) a fan of Sarll.

By Tucks16/8 14:59Sun Aug 16 14:59:06 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 588

While I agree with the sentiment, the black and white will always say Gary Smith took us to the League One Play-Offs.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))16/8 23:31Sun Aug 16 23:31:08 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 402

You agree with the sentiment? You agree that you are totally wrong on Smith? I’m still annoyed I wasted 23 seconds reading most of your previous post.

By Tucks17/8 07:25Mon Aug 17 07:25:59 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 399

I’m not wrong about Smith. The fact is that he took us to the League One Play-Offs. The following season he even had his rag-tag bunch at the sharp end of the table until October/November if I recall correctly. I think he was an awful manager, don’t get me wrong. But there are facts there to see as to why he only got the sack when he did.

By AndyC17/8 07:55Mon Aug 17 07:55:09 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 363

He didn't 'take us to the play offs' though, he took over a team that was 2nd I think and on fire, and after beating Sheff Wed away in his first game won only 1 of the next 13 games and limped into the play offs, going backwards from what he had been given.

You're right about the following season though, we were top of the league when winning away at Doncaster and won 6 / drew 5 of the first 11 games. Then Swindon gave us a walloping and it all fell to bits

By Tucks17/8 10:07Mon Aug 17 10:07:41 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 354

He was the manager when we reached the play-offs, therefore he took us there. Regardless of the results we had under him and the fact that he was an inept manager. That is fact. Despite it being the truth the history books don’t have an asterisk stating that it was GW’s team and the wheels almost fell off under Smith. They show that Smith was manager when we played in the L1 play-offs and when we took Spurs to a replay in the FA Cup.

By Freemo17/8 13:04Mon Aug 17 13:04:58 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 287

If Smith had any bottle we'd have made that playoff final too as that Sheffield United side were shellshocked from missing out on automatic promotion and were shit.

Then we could've been 90 minutes from a Gary Smith side in the Championship.

By Sev17/8 12:30Mon Aug 17 12:30:04 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 313

He took us half of the way there.

If you get a train from Stevenage to Lincoln, then a bus to Newcastle. Did the bus take you from Stevenage to Newcastle?

It's not a phrase I would use, as it is misleading.

Edited by Sev at 12:30:31 on 17th August 2020

By Tucks17/8 12:49Mon Aug 17 12:49:28 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 293

I’d personally get the train straight to Newcastle, it would be a lot quicker.

By AndyC17/8 15:38Mon Aug 17 15:38:27 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 257

Aye, but somebody with a bigger trainset commandeered our train half way there, and we were left limping into Newcastle on a knackered old bus

By Tucks17/8 16:45Mon Aug 17 16:45:11 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 244

Bloody train drivers having their heads turned by the Preston line.

By Paulio17/8 12:41Mon Aug 17 12:41:37 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 288

Westley didn’t get us promoted in 1980 so he didn’t really get us to league one.

By Mr Happy SFC17/8 11:12Mon Aug 17 11:12:39 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 331

History books eh? Who needs em.

By Puds (Chuds)16/8 15:51Sun Aug 16 15:51:53 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 553

Yep. And anybody should have seen us into the Conference playoffs, even if the players did it alone in spite of the manager, and yet Peter Taylor, a man full of experience and knowledge at various levels in football, didn't manage it.

For every successful experienced manager there is a successful inexperienced manager, and for every failure who has no experience there is a failure who has lots of experience.

Experience alone is no indicator of future success. And we also need to be realistic about the kind of experienced managers we would be able to attract, and consider whether they are really the kind of people we want at the club.

I was happy with Teddy, he made sense from a commercial perspective (and there was also the valid hope that his contacts and the managers he played under would see him be able to do decently), and God knows we had tried everything else. I was happy with Sarll, I was happy with Dino, I was not happy with GW, I was happy with Sampson and I am very happy with Revell. At the time of the appointment there was sense to them all, IMO.

When we are in the top seven at the end of this season everything will be forgotten and we will believe PW has had a masterstroke, be it through luck or otherwise.

By Freemo16/8 16:04Sun Aug 16 16:04:53 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 549

I wasn't convinced by Dino's character or ability to do the job. I overestimated him.

By Puds (Chuds)16/8 16:17Sun Aug 16 16:17:13 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 551

Whilst his history at clubs, of starting out well before then dipping, played out exactly the same way for us (granted despite making the playoffs I felt he got lucky and we weren't particularly enjoyable to watch), there was at least some success of achieving good finishes with clubs on smaller budgets in their league to look at when he was hired. And I do believe knowing the club and how it operates prior to joining is a positive.

And most of all, I had backed him to be out next manager at 10/1 with Betvictor :).

Edited by Chuds at 16:18:20 on 16th August 2020

By jayess16/8 16:27Sun Aug 16 16:27:49 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 531

Making the play offs? I hope you didn't reinvest your winnings, Nathan.

By Puds (Chuds)16/8 16:38Sun Aug 16 16:38:27 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 522

Oh yeah, we just missed out didn't we?!

Consider my head hung in shame! :).

By Sev16/8 16:43Sun Aug 16 16:43:10 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 529

Thanks to Chair.

By Gitts n Grattz16/8 12:11Sun Aug 16 12:11:18 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 601

The analogy could have been anything. A plumber, a marketing manager, a baker, a candle stick maker.

At some point, when you class yourself as a league club and you want to make that clear with a decent new stand, new branding, etc, etc. Why not then also actually employ a proven league manager?

There is no argument against the logic of that.

By Tucks16/8 12:29Sun Aug 16 12:29:17 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 605

Because a “proven” league manager that would want to manage Stevenage has probably just been sacked by a club in the league. Why have they been sacked? Because they were doing a bad job most likely.

Proven doesn’t mean good, unproven doesn’t mean bad.

I’d much rather be going into the new season with Revs (backed by experience in Lennie Lawrence) at the helm than Chris Powell or Harry Kewell who have done the rounds more than a cheap tart and more often than not been found wanting.

By The Proclaimer16/8 19:22Sun Aug 16 19:22:23 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 461

Exactly right. Who are these ‘proven’ league managers and why are they already not in employment?

I assume you don’t mean going and getting a failed league manager?

So you mean going and poaching a manager at a top club in league 2?

His first question is going to be ‘what’s my playing budget. ‘ his second question is going to be ‘are you going to double my salary?’

If the answer to these is ‘less than your current role’ and ‘no’ why would he come?

Why would a manager that is judged on one thing; win percentages, take a chance of lowering that when the greatest correlation for winning is size of playing budget.

There was a period when we were one of the most successful clubs in England. We just have to find that formula again. I’m sure there’s been a lot of thought at the club about what that formula is and how we get there, and in my opinion it doesn’t necessitate a proven league manager. To be honest, I am quite happy with what I am seeing at the club right now. Every single one of Rev’s appointments is about bringing in players with the old time Stevenage DNA, focusing on spirit and togetherness.

By jayess16/8 20:49Sun Aug 16 20:49:54 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 425

Well, since you ask Morecambe appointed one last season, and so did Grimsby. Experience at the level does not necessarily mean perennial failure. I would be equally happy with a proven Conference manager. Of course I hope Revs is a huge success, but don't kid yourself it isn't another big gamble.

By The Proclaimer16/8 21:16Sun Aug 16 21:16:43 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 426

The whole of football is a calculated gamble.

Let’s not kid ourselves, we probably have the budget of a mid table league 2 side at best and the attendance of a team in the bottom third. Even when we were successful we didn’t add much to the average gate in terms relative to other larger clubs in the league. We’ve only been able to survive due to the off field revenue that PW has generated.

We strive to be one of the outliers each season. That means outperforming our budget by getting a bunch of good players with an even better attitude. I don’t see a league manager journeyman getting what we need to be to be successful. I’d much rather have the gamble.

So my question to you is, who would you have recruited as manager?

By jayess16/8 22:27Sun Aug 16 22:27:53 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 405

Certainly not a journeyman. I probably wouldn't be starting from here because I would never have sacked GW in February. Chucking the job to Revs at that point after overlooking him twice was an absolute hospital pass.

If I was starting from starting from scratch I would probably look for over achievers at Conference level.
First stop Borehamwood. Second stop might have been Weymouth. It will be interesting to see how Molesley gets on at Southend. I like his Stevenage/Bournemouth pedigree.

By AndyC17/8 07:57Mon Aug 17 07:57:24 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 351

So after all this saying we need to appoint a manager with experience at this level, you suggest we look at managers the level below, with no experience at this level?

🤔

By jayess17/8 08:33Mon Aug 17 08:33:02 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 345

Over achievers in the Conference are a natural target for ambitious League Two clubs. Look where Bolton have gone for their next manager. There is very little difference between the top half of the Conference and the bottom half of League Two, so I would say the experience is entirely relevant. A track record of previous success is the currency here.
We mainly choose to appoint managers with no track record at all. The point of my original post (if there is one) is to suggest that this might not be the right way to go...
Dino previously had limited success but never came close to winning anything.

By SFCfox17/8 08:40Mon Aug 17 08:40:04 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 339

I'd also argue that Wallace doesn't give managers long enough.

By Freemo16/8 23:00Sun Aug 16 23:00:07 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 393

Still can't believe the chairman who knows Westley best chose that moment to reappoint him. Football equivalent of getting a shit jumper you'd never ever wear for Christmas.

Edited by Freemo at 23:00:37 on 16th August 2020

By SFCfox17/8 06:45Mon Aug 17 06:45:11 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 360

Oooo that'll get a few on here!

By Paulio16/8 21:35Sun Aug 16 21:35:29 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 410

Mark Sampson would still be in charge.

By Gitts n Grattz16/8 22:36Sun Aug 16 22:36:22 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 384

Last season perhaps. But this season I think we might be switching back to being a men’s team.

By Paulio16/8 23:14Sun Aug 16 23:14:04 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 371

Depends how the season ended. But the replacement at that time was fucking insane.

By Tucks16/8 22:14Sun Aug 16 22:14:52 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 385

I don’t like what he says. He makes me feel unwanted. Tsk tsk.

By Gitts n Grattz16/8 13:42Sun Aug 16 13:42:39 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 567

Well this can obviously be a futile hypothetical discussion.

But the point jayess made still remains - the string of unproven managers (with little or no experience previously) have followed a trend of poor administration. There is nothing to say a different approach might not be advisable. Based on Revs being given a good chance first of course.

But if it goes south quickly - maybe it wouldn’t be best to go next with Ronnie Henry, Chris Day or George Boyd. Unless the latter is player manager... 🤣

By Taz16/8 13:57Sun Aug 16 13:57:05 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 560

The point Jayess made was an incomplete list, cherry-picked to make a point. We've had a number of managers with experience who haven't done as well. I'd also argue that Smith winning the MLS Cup with Colorado was about as likely as Leicester winning the Premier League. Yes, I understand the gulf in the quality, and (despite Americans believing otherwise), the MLS is probably L1-Conference standard, but the point is that he achieved a lot with little and it was at pretty much the same level, although different environment.
What's the difference between Sheringham and Gerrard or Lampard? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and Sheringham played under some of the best managers we've ever seen, it could be hoped he would have learned something along the way.
Let's be honest, would we rather have Sarll or STEVE EVANS? If we ever had STEVE EVANS at the club it would be dead to me.

EDIT - Speeling errer

Edited by Taz at 14:06:53 on 16th August 2020

By Mr Happy SFC16/8 14:28Sun Aug 16 14:28:30 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 531

Steve Evans is an arse, but a relatively successful arse. What price success?

By Taz16/8 14:31Sun Aug 16 14:31:02 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 538

Not that. That's too high.

By Paulio16/8 00:15Sun Aug 16 00:15:21 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 734

Why is Revs a credible manager but Sheringham wasn’t?

By Sev16/8 08:55Sun Aug 16 08:55:27 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 676

I think Sherigham was a strikers coach so had some experience of coaching but mainly played golf and poker. Revell is recently retired, not left the game and had a year coaching at league 2 level.

Slightly more credible perhaps.

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)17/8 15:09Mon Aug 17 15:09:19 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 253

The season before he joined us, Teddy was the attacking coach at Big Sam’s West Ham. Insert gag here.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)16/8 09:22Sun Aug 16 09:22:51 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 632

Teddy was a legendary swordsman who was successful at a very high level. He didn't know the game down in the bargain basement.

By Owen B16/8 08:38Sun Aug 16 08:38:02 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 663

He doesn't come across as a massive throbber and is able to string coherent sentences together.

It's a low bar, but a bar none the less.

By Tucks16/8 00:19Sun Aug 16 00:19:10 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 734

I like what he says and he makes me feel wanted.

By Paulio16/8 00:29Sun Aug 16 00:29:27 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 723

😂

By Taz15/8 21:28Sat Aug 15 21:28:14 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 785

In fairness, the original post failed to mention Westley, Fairclough, Wignall, Taylor and Stimson, who were all experienced at or above the level we were playing at, as well as Roeder, Slade and Lawrence who were brought in as advisors and very experienced.
I will add, I do like the idea of a mentor role if we can find the right chemistry. Maybe Roy Keane could do the job.

By Baldock (BALDOCKBORO)15/8 16:57Sat Aug 15 16:57:55 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 917

Phil owes the fans nothing in terms of an apology.

He made bad decisions. We all know that, he knows that.

He will make more decisions, some good, some bad.

As paying fans we can always vote with our wallets.

By Mr Happy SFC15/8 15:18Sat Aug 15 15:18:25 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 986

If you don't mind, I prefer to be optimistic. If you can't be optimistic at this point in the season, when can you?

By Specky (Mike H)15/8 14:33Sat Aug 15 14:33:37 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 1050

Although AR doesn’t have any managerial experience at this level.....or at any level......for me there’s a confidence knowing he has Lennie Lawrence supporting him who, IMHO others so much more experience than GR did when he was here

By Puds (Chuds)15/8 14:57Sat Aug 15 14:57:22 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 1010

And has experience and success in the role he will be filling already.

By Puds (Chuds)15/8 13:51Sat Aug 15 13:51:29 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 1101

He doesn't owe an apology in my eyes.

And all of his appointments (bar the latest GW) have had decent enough reasoning to them. Easy to criticise everything in hindsight.

I don't think we should focus on last season any longer. It was abysmal. Phil knows it, Alex T knows it, Alex R knows it, the coaching staff know it, the players know it, the fans know it. We got away with it, we are very very lucky. But the club has made changes and importantly the manager appears to be doing everything he can to change the whole philosophy and culture. So long as PW and AR have learnt from it, going back over last season won't help anyone. We need to all focus on getting behind Revs and the new players with our all, supporting them when we are allowed back and being patient as we may well have a slowish start to the season. I am incredibly hopeful/positive about what Revs could do with us, and am excited to see how the season goes. And if it does go badly, I am sure PW will handle it in a very different manner to how he did the past year.

By FootyIQ (HT-FT)15/8 13:40Sat Aug 15 13:40:30 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 1132

And in amongst all this fury we somehow went from the foot of the conference to a league 1 playoff team, win 2 fa trophy’s, playing in 4 finals and contest against several premier league clubs in competition.

Admittedly last year was way below expectations, we have been very fortunate, one key issue with last years squad was goals, the budget was there so this lies firmly at recruiting players. Dino you are fired.

Thankfully Revs has already signed several goal scoring players so fingers crossed we can get enough wins. After all goals win games.

By jayess15/8 14:07Sat Aug 15 14:07:32 2020In response to Re: Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 1079

Fury?

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)15/8 13:14Sat Aug 15 13:14:48 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 1167

Great Post.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))15/8 13:05Sat Aug 15 13:05:39 2020In response to Chairmen and managersTop of thread

Views: 1187

Very good summary of the managers!

Previous thread: Tinpot Cup by Hitchin Callling17/8 16:10Mon Aug 17 16:10:50 2020view thread