ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Tipping Point by WASPToday 14:05Today at 14:05:24view thread

Oldest article: Match Thread by Mercury 8826/9 14:06Sat Sep 26 14:06:05 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Project Big Picture by Balders13/10 12:21Tue Oct 13 12:21:16 2020view thread

Match Thread

By Mercury 8820/10 18:12Tue Oct 20 18:12:04 2020

Views: 1494

Starting 11
Cumming
Wildin
Cuthbert
Prosser
Coker
Vincelot
Hutton
Osborne
Oteh
Aitchinson
Newton

Subs
Effiong
Johnson
Marsh
List
Read
Smith
Marshall

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Match Thread

By MSFC (MSFC)20/10 21:26Tue Oct 20 21:26:58 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 732

We are a team of individuals. The team look like they haven't played together at all. Absolutely clueless in the final third. Passing is poor and normally involves a punt upfield. Most of the players I have problems with are in our midfield and yet we don't address that and we get even more strikers.

Have we got a better team than last season? Yes
Will it matter? No because we have shit by the numbers tactics and the players don't seem to play well with each other. Our midfield has been so poor in the last few games. It looks like the players have no faith in the tactics.

Newport were really poor but as we couldn't score in a brothel they were untroubled.

The Ref was appalling. He got the penalty right but very little else. Newports time wasting in the second half was ridiculous but he gave no cards.

Cumming 6
Wildin 7 ( Best performance this season from him )
Cuthbert 6
Prosser 5
Coker 5
Hutton 5
Vincelot 3
Osborne 3 ( Good start in a Stevenage shirt but has flattered to deceive recently)
Oteh 4
Aitchinson 5
Newton 6 ( The only one to carry any threat up front )

Effiong 5
Read 5
Marsh 5

Ref 2

By Boromatt21/10 10:05Wed Oct 21 10:05:44 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 393

Frustrating one to watch...

I think frustrating because every game we’ve lost this season has only been by one goal, we just quite simply haven’t done enough in anyone of those games to earn any points.

5 points from 21 is tough to see, but I still hold out hope for this team. I do believe once it clicks, it will click. Quite a few players making EFL debuts and a whole new team was always going to take time after the amount of time we had to prepare for this season.

The main thing I disagreed with last night was some of the player selections, not the formation. I was happy to see us trying 2 up top together. God knows why Ross Marshall was dropped for Vincelot and very confused that List didn’t feature at all. IMO that cost us the game. No goals in 4 games isn’t great either, we need to start scoring so we don’t fall back into that abyss.

We need a win simple as. Something to spur the team on and to increase that gap which seems to be catching up ever so slowly at the bottom.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Hitchin Callling21/10 08:33Wed Oct 21 08:33:55 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 376

We need to have winger (s) or at least try to use TVC,LJW, List as such. Alternatively lets try to offload on loan one/some of our strikers and get one. You can still sign free agents.

PS Oteh injured already or was it cramp ?

By AgentEves21/10 17:41Wed Oct 21 17:41:17 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 305

List is our biggest goal threat, IMO. He needs to be played centrally up front. Playing off a stronger forward like Effiong should suit him. He's lively, and a great finisher. Putting him on the wing is a waste, IMO, because it isn't playing to his strengths.

By Sev21/10 18:40Wed Oct 21 18:40:42 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 282

I'd like to see Effiong and List as a front two. But that's not going to happen because we've got too many forwards two of which we brought in on loan, so will play most games. Hopefully they're good. They looked like they could be, but who knows.

By RockyBottom22/10 22:25Thu Oct 22 22:25:07 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 273

Trouble is, Effiong's touch is bloody awful.

Edited by RockyBottom at 22:25:15 on 22nd October 2020

By Ratman4623/10 11:16Fri Oct 23 11:16:15 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 177

Newton's ain't any better.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)21/10 18:55Wed Oct 21 18:55:57 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 269

List and Effiong would be good. With Boyd left wing, try Wildin right wing and sign a real right back.

By Sev21/10 19:05Wed Oct 21 19:05:45 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 255

Sounds good to me!

By Chet Manley (Paulio)21/10 19:11Wed Oct 21 19:11:18 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 257

With Sampson as manager, Revs as assistant and Keef as head coach.

By Sev21/10 19:22Wed Oct 21 19:22:04 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 236

I think Sampson would be an excellent manager.

Not sure why so many are getting on his back.

By all accounts I've heard what a genuinely nice guy he is, and popular with all the players.

3 people like this 3 people

By AgentEves20/10 21:57Tue Oct 20 21:57:35 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 639

"Most of the players I have problems with are in our midfield and yet we don't address that and we get even more strikers."

I'd find it hard to point fingers at the midfield given that the defenders only pass to them when they want to create space for a long ball.

Whenever we get the midfielders on the ball, we look so much better. Let them turn, get forward and play through to the final third.

But, nope, lets just hoof it to the striker and let the midfield run doggies all day.

By MSFC (MSFC)20/10 22:02Tue Oct 20 22:02:55 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 619

Disagree. The midfielders never make themselves available or go back and get the ball. They are all marked or to far upfield. They also don't get to the second ball as much as they should. We haven't got a good DM. Vincelot has failed to impress. We also have no wingers. The balance in the middle sucks.

By AgentEves20/10 22:12Tue Oct 20 22:12:12 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 587

"The midfielders never make themselves available or go back and get the ball."

This isn't even close to being true.

The midfielders drop back, albeit usually one at a time, get the ball from the defender, facing square-on to them, and then simply drop it back to them. Lather, rinse, repeat until the opposition move forward enough for the defenders to launch a long, diagonal ball into oblivion. This is very clearly the game plan, so to say that the midfielders aren't dropping deep to get the ball is incorrect.

What isn't happening, however - and maybe this is what you're referring to - is the midfielders dropping deep to get the ball, facing half-on to the defenders, and turning out with the ball to play to the other midfielder or the wide players, in an attempt to progress the ball up the field.

Our ONLY route to progress the ball is the defenders hoofing it. I fail to believe that it is a coincidence that every single midfielder who drops back to the ball doesn't want to turn and move the ball forward. When every midfielder is doing the same thing, you have to point the figure at the tactics and assume they are being told to do it.

We don't need a DM if we are playing 5-3-2. And if we're playing 4-3-3, then Read or Marshall are perfectly capable.

By Bumble21/10 12:09Wed Oct 21 12:09:21 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 303

Sounds like a coach talking
Some sense in what you say
The term HOOFING IT
The idea of going long especially in the channels is to turn defences generally early on
But your view the midfield doing their bit can't agree. Rarely we win any 2nd ball. That said I do believe we have some quality in there but its not working at the moment

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))20/10 23:57Tue Oct 20 23:57:44 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 480

Or you progress the ball by being individually good enough to turn or beat a player one on one and find a player making a run. Or you pass and receive it straight back and create an angle leading to more movement. It doesn’t have to happen in formation!!

By Sev20/10 22:08Tue Oct 20 22:08:28 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 583

It's because we only have 3 of them. And one is sitting in front of the defence. Outnumbered and no space.

Need to change the formation/balance of the team.

By Freemo20/10 22:24Tue Oct 20 22:24:28 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 537

Friends don't let friends play 4-3-3.

By MSFC (MSFC)20/10 22:09Tue Oct 20 22:09:04 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 579

Don't disagree with that.

By Dino Maamria's Goat. (Gaz Murray)20/10 21:39Tue Oct 20 21:39:48 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

It’s almost it’s if the coach is the problem...

2 people like this 2 people

By Ratman4620/10 21:37Tue Oct 20 21:37:57 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Osbourne has been injured last few games so not surprised he's flattered to deceive recently.

Newton a 4 at best, rest about right.

By MSFC (MSFC)20/10 21:47Tue Oct 20 21:47:05 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

You are right about Osbourne so an unfair comment by me. Still stand by my 3 for him. I agree that I probably overated Newton but he did have our best chance and a couple of half chances. I will say a 5 instead.

By Ratman4620/10 22:18Tue Oct 20 22:18:00 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 543

Fair do's 👍

By Sev20/10 21:36Tue Oct 20 21:36:53 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 650

Half of them hadn't played together before.

We need to pick our best 11 and stick with it. Not changing them every week to keep people happy. But we also need a happy camp, so shouldn't have signed 8 strikers. 3 of those should've been midfielders

4 people like this 4 people

By AgentEves20/10 20:58Tue Oct 20 20:58:08 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 820

The annoying thing is, when we actually get the ball down and play direct football (but on the deck) we actually look reasonable. We get the ball in and around the box and while we aren't creating clear cut chances, we are at least in the vicinity of their goal.

The long ball heave ho shit doesn't work. That was, again, fucking dreadful. Four games in a row of complete dross.

So what do we do?

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)20/10 21:02Tue Oct 20 21:02:06 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 911

That was the most shouting I've done at the telly for a while.

Absolutely no idea what style of football we tried to play, it was like they'd never played together and no-one had bothered with a pre-match talk.

It was just "get out there, run about and see what happens"

I'd do that for £20 a week, save the club a fortune on coaches and managers.

So... What do we do?

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 21:12:33 on 20th October 2020

Re: So what do we do?

By AgentEves20/10 21:55Tue Oct 20 21:55:23 2020In response to So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 684

I'd be curious to see what happened if we got rid of Sampson.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))20/10 23:22Tue Oct 20 23:22:35 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 530

It’s interesting that people think he should go - pointing to him as the continuity crap coach. IMO he’s never been worth a salary. All the baggage for nothing. But for all I know he might be a decent coach. Seems unlikely though

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)20/10 23:42Tue Oct 20 23:42:41 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 524

You're right that we don't know how good he is. How much of our form last season was down to him and how much was down to having shit players? They might have been even worse without his coaching.

This season, is he propping up Revell or holding him back?

Are the tactics (or seeming lack of them tonight) down to him or the manager?

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))20/10 23:52Tue Oct 20 23:52:27 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 504

Exactly true.

But further on baggage. I remember when Graham Roberts came to the club under Cloughie. I think he’d been player manager at Enfield before us, but joined us as a player. They were big rivals and it seemed a strange signing with baggage. A bit worrying. He was one of the most influential players I’ve seen for us.

I just can’t see the point of paying Sampson the same or more than Revell. Get an experienced manager with young coaches for a few quid more.

Edited by Big Robbie (SBFC) at 23:53:02 on 20th October 2020

By Auto Sev (Paulio)20/10 22:08Tue Oct 20 22:08:09 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 632

We’d win every game.

By Sev20/10 22:11Tue Oct 20 22:11:39 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 612

Not this season because he's already infected them with shitness but going forward with Revell allowed to do what he wants with the help of Lenny, without being influenced and pressured to try and play like Liverpool (and fail miserably), it could be better.

By AgentEves20/10 22:18Tue Oct 20 22:18:11 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 592

I don't understand where this tripe about wanting to play like Liverpool is coming from.

We saw from last season what Sampson's brand of football is. Negative, defensive, unimaginative. Identical to what we are seeing now. All because of that one video posted on Twitter ages ago, Sampson is getting labelled as someone wanting to play fancy football, but the proof is in the pudding, and his pudding tastes like shit.

Revs very clearly wanted to play attacking football, getting bodies in the box. He said it over and over in pre-season. Against Oldham, we did exactly that. Then against Bradford we tried and were just beaten by the better team. Then against Salford we saw a return to Sampson's brand of bland, horrible football. That's three games in a row now where I couldn't tell you a single thing that I enjoyed about the game. It has just been 270+ minutes of blah. Nothingness.

By SFCfox21/10 06:30Wed Oct 21 06:30:09 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 446

On SG1 Radio he said he played that style of football because the fire power wasn't there, so a point is better than nothing. He called it "tournament football" where you set up not to lose.

I'd argue he had a point because when Westley asked him to go all out attack (when he couldn't be fucked to turn up) we got thumped 5-1.

It's hard to buy in because last season was so, so bad but i think when Carts comes back and we gel more as a squad (remember we had very little pre-season either) we'll start seeing better results.

By Tucks21/10 11:52Wed Oct 21 11:52:39 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 313

I do worry that a lot of hopes are being pinned on very good but clearly injury prone Carter.

By Sev21/10 12:30Wed Oct 21 12:30:59 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 291

One player wont make a big difference. He was good but he's not Ronaldo.

We kept saying the same about Newton. If Newton comes back we will score more etc. Didn't happen.

By AgentEves21/10 17:46Wed Oct 21 17:46:07 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 269

Not to make him out as the scapegoat, but Newton has been fucking terrible this season.

He's desperate to score, clearly, but the more he tries to force it, the less likely it will happen. He has to calm down slightly and stop trying to score a screamer every time he gets the ball. He virtually never looks for a pass, and almost always just goes head down, towards goal, and thumps it as soon as he gets a chance.

I feel for him - he spent a long time out and is clearly dying to get a goal and get back into the swing of things - but right now he's diabolical.

I'm also concerned about us pinning our hopes on Carter. Especially since we barely use our midfield anyway.

By Sev21/10 18:43Wed Oct 21 18:43:20 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 247

Newton is more of a hindrance at the moment. Like you say too keen if anything.

I think I've narrowed down the front 4 to Effiong List Oteh and Aitchison. The rest can warm the bench for the majority of the season unless they miraculously get an opportunity and find form.

But to keep rotating them when no one is scoring isnt helping anyone.

By Freemo21/10 13:42Wed Oct 21 13:42:24 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 266

He was mediocre more often than not. Last season we were pinning hopes at various points on a fit Cuthbert, Lakin, Digby, Parrett, Byrom and Newton.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))20/10 23:26Tue Oct 20 23:26:27 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 520

A rookie manager will bottle it after a few bad results. The players regress. All this talk about being an attacking coach goes out the window and the anxiety strangles the management and players. But it’s ok cos he’s very cheap.

Edited by Big Robbie (SBFC) at 23:29:17 on 20th October 2020

By Thora21/10 07:56Wed Oct 21 07:56:23 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 377

I like this guy.

By Sev20/10 22:25Tue Oct 20 22:25:53 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 556

That's Sampson's arm from pre season.

Screenshot-20201020-222418-Whats-App

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))20/10 23:27Tue Oct 20 23:27:54 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 477

Clear swastika outline in that formation

By Tucks20/10 23:13Tue Oct 20 23:13:50 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 489

I see the word press on there. We don’t look like we could press a doorbell (should have learned how to during Covid sandwich delivering) let alone another team.

Liverpool have made the 4-3-3 fashionable again but the way we have tried to implement it has been different to the way they play theirs. It’s easy to say that we aren’t operating with players as good as Liverpool are but these things are relative, we’re not facing the standard of opposition they come up against. Klopp teams are built on pressing, anyone with a pair of legs can do that within reason and we might achieve a bit more if we actually did try and take elements from Liverpool’s game plan.

Opposition scouts are having an easy job with us right now I’d imagine. “Let then have the ball all they want, they’ll knock it about the back then punt it aimlessly forward. Rinse and repeat.” Ironically the game where a bit of route one could have helped beat the press we were up against, Salford, we seemed happy to try play it out from the back ad nauseum.

By AgentEves21/10 01:24Wed Oct 21 01:24:29 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 473

The last part is what's bothering me. We don't seem to be able to apply game plans depending on how the game is going. We just decide what we're doing at the start of the game, then persist with it until the 80th minute, then lump 4 up front and hope for the best.

Half time, you're 1-0 down and don't look like you're gonna score in a month of Sundays. Do you make a change? Nah, fuck it, just go out there and do your best lads.

By Tucks21/10 09:49Wed Oct 21 09:49:48 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 342

Agreed. I’m not against going all out from the 80th minute onwards if we’re losing but it’s the seeming lack of game management beforehand that is frustrating. A manager should be able to identify how the game is going and adapt accordingly, there are 90 minutes to get a result.

By AgentEves21/10 17:47Wed Oct 21 17:47:57 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 255

The worst part about waiting until the 80th minute when you're 1-0 down is that the other team will employ game management tactics in the last 10 minutes when they've hung on to a 1-0 lead for 70+ minutes. So you don't get to play much football in the last 10-15.

I'd like to see some subs around the 50-65 minute mark. Get all subs on by the 70th minute and let them actually influence the game.

By AndyC22/10 00:04Thu Oct 22 00:04:56 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 257

We somehow never got the memo about that whenever we have been leading by 1 goal in pretty much any of the last 5 years

By Sev21/10 18:44Wed Oct 21 18:44:08 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 237

I am agreeing with all your posts today. I must have coronavirus. Haha.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)20/10 22:27Tue Oct 20 22:27:59 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 522

Trying to explain Rev’s tactics to the players that don’t know what a football is.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)20/10 22:15Tue Oct 20 22:15:49 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 546

What is the currently hierarchy?

Revs
Lenny(when he crushes the puppy with his bare hands)
Sampson, Henry
Ashton, Free Kick man
Keef

By Sev20/10 22:19Tue Oct 20 22:19:36 2020In response to Re: So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 530

Sampson
/ /
/ /
/ /
/ /
Revell

By RockyBottom20/10 21:16Tue Oct 20 21:16:05 2020In response to So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 719

I likened it to a trialist game for an academy. One that none of the players actually want to get into.

Edited by RockyBottom at 21:16:17 on 20th October 2020

By Ratman4620/10 21:14Tue Oct 20 21:14:20 2020In response to So what do we do? Top of thread

Views: 704

Absolutely nothing, they've all been better teams than us that we've done well against to only lose by the odd goal.

We'll beat the shit around us no problem.

The play looks very similar to when Sampson was in charge.

We have a set piece coach now as well 😂

Edited by Ratman46 at 21:14:53 on 20th October 2020

By AgentEves20/10 21:54Tue Oct 20 21:54:13 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 592

"The play looks very similar to when Sampson was in charge."

Worryingly so. And a long-shot from all the things Revs said he wanted to bring to the table this season.

By Ratman4620/10 22:24Tue Oct 20 22:24:18 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 514

Agree.

The attacking threat we started the season with seems to have disappeared, I enjoyed that for the brief period it lasted. Got me excited for the season.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)20/10 20:45Tue Oct 20 20:45:26 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 897

Why does our Twitter insist on a MOTM
vote after every game? Fuck. Off.

By Smutty Len (Roulette Len)20/10 20:52Tue Oct 20 20:52:26 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 868

Couldn't score in a Brothel.

By AgentEves20/10 20:38Tue Oct 20 20:38:11 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 917

Why when the ball goes into the box does every player pile under the cross, and no-one position themselves for the second ball?

By Bumble20/10 20:52Tue Oct 20 20:52:37 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 852

Players that are in Non league and normally playing there for a reason
Too many not good enough
A level to far for many

By Ratman4620/10 21:15Tue Oct 20 21:15:50 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 673

The non league players did alright first 3-4 games, it's the changes since that have rocked the boat and team.

By AgentEves20/10 22:00Tue Oct 20 22:00:47 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 563

Completely agree.

It's like we went to Bradford, realised there were teams in the league who could pass and retain possession better than us, and decided to just fuck everything off. Now we have this fucking stupid formation that doesn't suit our players (or the way they are seemingly trying to play) and is a huge backwards step from where were against Oldham.

By AgentEves20/10 20:29Tue Oct 20 20:29:25 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 929

Why does Revell hate making subs? We are losing, we have been losing since the 8th minute... what are we waiting for? Why wait until the 60th minute to make a sub? And then another 10 minutes and no other subs made?

By Sev20/10 20:05Tue Oct 20 20:05:49 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1013

Think we will turn it around second half when we bring in our first team players Effiong and List.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)20/10 20:12Tue Oct 20 20:12:18 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 989

Just seen we’ve got a striker who has scored 5 goals in 45 games.

Ooh and 7 in 47. Banging.

Edited by Paulio at 20:13:05 on 20th October 2020

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 20:21Tue Oct 20 20:21:40 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 938

If Newport concentrated on playing football rather than falling about the floor trying to con the Ref, they would be about 8-0 up by now.

By Bumble20/10 20:27Tue Oct 20 20:27:00 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 914

Looks like another goalkeeper not having to have a shower

By RockyBottom20/10 20:29Tue Oct 20 20:29:08 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 914

We just don't look like a team do we. Look like 11 strangers thrown together last minute, with no game plan. If there are two sides worse than us they must be dreadful.

By Bumble20/10 20:20Tue Oct 20 20:20:35 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 946

How bad is that ref

By RockyBottom20/10 20:25Tue Oct 20 20:25:00 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 932

He's far from the reason we are losing but he is one of the worst refs I have seen in a long time.

By Sev20/10 20:26Tue Oct 20 20:26:22 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 922

I hadn't noticed. He gives fouls when we foul players. So maybe we should stop charging into them all the time.

By AndyC20/10 21:55Tue Oct 20 21:55:29 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 582

Yep, our players are fucking stupid. Too slow at reading the game, get to where the ball is going 2 seconds after their opponent but just barge into them anyway.

Dickheads.

Edited by AndyC at 21:55:39 on 20th October 2020

By SFCfox20/10 20:30Tue Oct 20 20:30:06 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 900

They're masters of the dark arts. We're anything but, it's fucking painful.

By AgentEves20/10 20:31Tue Oct 20 20:31:28 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 892

At this stage, you MUST know that players are gonna go to ground when you rattle into them. So how about... don't do it?! I get that its poor refereeing, but if the fouls are being given then stop committing the fouls.

By SFCfox20/10 20:32Tue Oct 20 20:32:41 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Yep, but why don't we also give it back? They all scream as a team, we don't even say boo to a goose.

By Sev20/10 21:41Tue Oct 20 21:41:21 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 600

The ref was clearly unfit and welcome any stoppage to the game.

By RockyBottom20/10 20:05Tue Oct 20 20:05:15 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1002

Lol feed isn't even running now! All I can see is the stats page!

Edited by RockyBottom at 20:07:51 on 20th October 2020

Club finances

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 19:51Tue Oct 20 19:51:46 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1163

They must be ok this season seeing as we don't have any professional players.

5 people like this 5 people

Re: Club finances

By Chuds20/10 22:22Tue Oct 20 22:22:17 2020In response to Club financesTop of thread

Views: 582

And fortunately we didn't fork out on the tens of thousands of pounds it would apparently have cost us to cover a few seats behind the goal so they aren't white.

I’ve worked out what the problem is

By Rotterdamboro20/10 19:53Tue Oct 20 19:53:54 2020In response to Club financesTop of thread

Views: 1122

None of our players have been told the idea is to get the ball into the net. Once they are told I’m sure our collection of forwards will soon oblige

Re: I’ve worked out what the problem is

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 19:56Tue Oct 20 19:56:01 2020In response to I’ve worked out what the problem isTop of thread

Views: 1070

It's ok. Our rookie gaffer (Alex Revell) will deliver a match winning half time team talk.

Re: I’ve worked out what the problem is

By Eazy20/10 20:57Tue Oct 20 20:57:53 2020In response to Re: I’ve worked out what the problem isTop of thread

Views: 810

Drew the second half.

By AgentEves20/10 19:45Tue Oct 20 19:45:10 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1058

I'm not normally one to bang the 'we should just play 4-4-2' drum, but I really think we just need to play 4-4-2. Why are we playing 3-5-2 when it involves playing a striker in central midfield (Aitchison) and an attacking right back at centre back? It just doesn't make any sense.

We don't have wingers, but JLW and Hutton would be perfectly fine on the wing (the other playing RB). Then I think Aitchison would be effective cutting in from the left, or we can stick Newton there since he likes running with the ball from deep. Then two strikers up front.

When you're struggling, just go back to basics and keep it simple. We are complicating it for the sake of complicating it.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)20/10 19:59Tue Oct 20 19:59:07 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 986

“ but I really think we just need to play 4-4-2. ”

Luckily we have a few wingers in case we need to revert to a different formation.

By SFCfox20/10 19:57Tue Oct 20 19:57:46 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 987

We're struggling to find feet with simple passes and i'm sick of that pump down the line. STOP, JUST STOP.

By Freemo20/10 19:54Tue Oct 20 19:54:57 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1015

Sampson saw his fellow England manager playing Kyle Walker at right centre back and thought phwoar that'll do

By SFCfox21/10 07:52Wed Oct 21 07:52:42 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 348

Both of them are #medalwinners for England.

By Sev20/10 22:15Tue Oct 20 22:15:52 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 531

Haha too true.

By AgentEves20/10 19:39Tue Oct 20 19:39:43 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1106

The notion that League Two players shouldn't be encouraged to play football is disproved by virtually every team we play. Almost every other team plays better, more positive football than us. And it isn't isolated to the last 2 seasons, either. I'm not saying we should be playing tiki-taka, but let's at least pretend we have midfielders.

By Bumble20/10 19:42Tue Oct 20 19:42:26 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1056

Agree
They tend to have better quality

By AgentEves20/10 19:46Tue Oct 20 19:46:09 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1029

I don't think their players are necessarily better, they're just instructed to play better football.

By Bumble20/10 19:48Tue Oct 20 19:48:11 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1021

About right
Need Read on 2nd half

By Ratman4620/10 19:47Tue Oct 20 19:47:47 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1024

They have better coaches

By AndyC20/10 22:26Tue Oct 20 22:26:25 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 503

Bloody Chambers

By Bumble20/10 19:39Tue Oct 20 19:39:08 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1081

Not sure how Hutton gets the nod

By Bumble20/10 19:40Tue Oct 20 19:40:16 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1043

The midfield is shite at the moment

By Chet Manley (Paulio)20/10 19:35Tue Oct 20 19:35:45 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1094

Have we learnt anything from last season?

By AndyC20/10 22:29Tue Oct 20 22:29:16 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 506

Even if we're fucking shit, there are basket case clubs who are going to save us?

Edited by AndyC at 22:29:25 on 20th October 2020

By Sev20/10 22:46Tue Oct 20 22:46:55 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 484

That conceding late goals is a terrible habit. Best to get them out the way early on.

By AndyC20/10 22:56Tue Oct 20 22:56:11 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 462

Ha, makes a nice change from the previous few seasons.

By Lopo20/10 19:36Tue Oct 20 19:36:33 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1106

How to lose football matches.

5 people like this 5 people

0-1

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 19:09Tue Oct 20 19:09:44 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1236

It's ok. We shouldn't be winning against teams like Newport

Edited by Original Mr Wasp at 19:10:21 on 20th October 2020

Re: 0-1

By RockyBottom20/10 19:12Tue Oct 20 19:12:29 2020In response to 0-1Top of thread

Views: 1183

We shouldn't be playing Welsh teams

1-0 already

By RockyBottom20/10 19:09Tue Oct 20 19:09:42 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1226

Another pen after Newton hit the bar. Going to be another horrible season isn't it!

Re: 1-0 already

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)20/10 19:12Tue Oct 20 19:12:24 2020In response to 1-0 alreadyTop of thread

Views: 1181

What a stupid/shit challenge to give away the pen

Re: 1-0 already

By RockyBottom20/10 19:13Tue Oct 20 19:13:17 2020In response to Re: 1-0 alreadyTop of thread

Views: 1185

Agreed. Been too many of them this season. FGR should have been given one on Sat as well.

Edited by RockyBottom at 19:13:26 on 20th October 2020

A few points..

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 19:25Tue Oct 20 19:25:52 2020In response to Re: 1-0 alreadyTop of thread

Views: 1186

Luther is worrying me.
We can only hoof it forward.
The Ref is a clunter.
Labadie is still a clunter.

Re: A few points..

By Freemo20/10 19:52Tue Oct 20 19:52:16 2020In response to A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1019

A few points would be good

By AgentEves20/10 19:36Tue Oct 20 19:36:28 2020In response to A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1114

Our game plan is to only hoof it forward.

FTFY.

By Sev20/10 21:45Tue Oct 20 21:45:47 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 590

I watched most of the game and that's not the long ball game I was envisaging. Previously I thought you meant we were playing a planned and and co-ordinated long ball game. It's anything but that.

All I saw was a reactionary long ball because we are so shit and lacking any ideas or ability that we just panic clear the ball to anywhere.

Dire.

By AgentEves20/10 22:21Tue Oct 20 22:21:11 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 512

My point was that we aren't hoofing it because we are under pressure and panicking. Newport didn't press us, neither did FGR. The defenders are choosing to play it long. Or being told.

At least against Salford you could argue that it was because they were putting us under constant pressure. But in the few games since then, that hasn't been the case at all.

I didn't intentionally make it sound coordinated or like we knew what we were doing. I was simply pointing out that it wasn't really anything to do with the opposition rushing us.

By RockyBottom20/10 19:40Tue Oct 20 19:40:02 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1104

It's been like that for weeks.

By Deano (deanos13)20/10 20:44Tue Oct 20 20:44:06 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

It actually hasn't.

Edited by deanos13 at 20:45:04 on 20th October 2020

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)20/10 20:49Tue Oct 20 20:49:34 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 829

Eh?

By AgentEves20/10 20:47Tue Oct 20 20:47:29 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 852

It absolutely has. Fuck knows what you've been watching.

By Deano (deanos13)20/10 20:49Tue Oct 20 20:49:32 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 923

I've been watching nothing.

Let me rephrase. Since I last watched!

By Deano (deanos13)20/10 20:49Tue Oct 20 20:49:07 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 836

I've been watching nothing.

Let me rephrase. Since I last watched!

By AgentEves20/10 20:55Tue Oct 20 20:55:22 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 797

From Oldham, and even Bradford, to what we're seeing now, is night and day.

By RockyBottom20/10 20:56Tue Oct 20 20:56:24 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 783

Agreed.

By AgentEves20/10 19:48Tue Oct 20 19:48:15 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1038

Our wing backs literally just sprint down the line when the centre backs have the ball.

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)20/10 19:30Tue Oct 20 19:30:51 2020In response to A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1095

Labadie is indeed still a clunter

By RockyBottom20/10 19:27Tue Oct 20 19:27:38 2020In response to A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1102

The frustrating thing is Newport look pretty average.

By Mercury 8820/10 19:34Tue Oct 20 19:34:52 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1080

And how do Boro look ?

By Junction 720/10 19:50Tue Oct 20 19:50:58 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1006

A load of pony seen better Sunday morning football

By RockyBottom20/10 20:20Tue Oct 20 20:20:01 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 916

Watching the Northern Premier is certainly more enjoyable than this sack of shite.

By Chuds20/10 22:21Tue Oct 20 22:21:10 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 508

You shouldn't be watching any other sides but us.

By Mercury 8820/10 20:21Tue Oct 20 20:21:06 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 908

Who do you support in the Northern Premier ?

By RockyBottom20/10 20:22Tue Oct 20 20:22:04 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 899

I live in Northwich so Witton Albion. Red and White and couldn't bring myself to support Northwoch Vics.

By Mercury 8820/10 20:24Tue Oct 20 20:24:58 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 896

Fair enough. Nice ground Witton Albion have, I went there once to see Northwich play Boro.

By RockyBottom20/10 20:25Tue Oct 20 20:25:54 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 889

Yeah cracking little museum and conference standard ground. I love it there. Reminds me of how Boro was back in the day.

By Mercury 8820/10 20:28Tue Oct 20 20:28:18 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 875

Yes those were the days I got excited about Boro games.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 19:35Tue Oct 20 19:35:15 2020In response to Re: A few points..Top of thread

Views: 1071

Amateur.

By Bumble20/10 19:04Tue Oct 20 19:04:38 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1200

Same bloke on the camera I see

Why?

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 18:59Tue Oct 20 18:59:38 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1240

Why didn't the Newport players come out of the tunnel?

Re: Why?

By BasingstokeBoro20/10 19:01Tue Oct 20 19:01:28 2020In response to Why?Top of thread

Views: 1208

Social distancing innit. Can't catch covid on the pitch

Re: Why?

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 19:03Tue Oct 20 19:03:05 2020In response to Re: Why?Top of thread

Views: 1206

Oh yeah.

Bollocks to Clean Bandit.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 18:55Tue Oct 20 18:55:53 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1230

Get some chit chat on.

By JJ Burnell (Roulette Len)20/10 18:47Tue Oct 20 18:47:29 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1221

Something Better Change.

Win would be nice.

By BasingstokeBoro20/10 18:17Tue Oct 20 18:17:30 2020In response to Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1275

Well, that's a bit different!

By Mercury 8820/10 18:38Tue Oct 20 18:38:59 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1244

5 changes made lets hope this turns out to be a positive result tonight.

By jayess20/10 18:52Tue Oct 20 18:52:12 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1214

Four loanees in the starting eleven does say something about the perceived quality of 'our' players

Re: 1 - 0 Newport

By Mercury 8820/10 19:09Tue Oct 20 19:09:27 2020In response to Re: Match Thread Top of thread

Views: 1210

No text

By Bankerbob20/10 19:32Tue Oct 20 19:32:41 2020In response to Re: 1 - 0 Newport Top of thread

Views: 1104

Coker & Vincelot are a disaster waiting to happen...

By jayess20/10 19:52Tue Oct 20 19:52:19 2020In response to Re: 1 - 0 Newport Top of thread

Views: 992

No waiting involved

By Bumble20/10 19:44Tue Oct 20 19:44:33 2020In response to Re: 1 - 0 Newport Top of thread

Views: 1040

Vincelot is shite

By Junction 720/10 19:53Tue Oct 20 19:53:04 2020In response to Re: 1 - 0 Newport Top of thread

Views: 1002

Your not wrong he’s dreadful ...

Don’t think Revell knows who to play or how to play ..

Is it Sampson’s idea that we play like this ? It’s boring and woeful shit

Edited by Junction 7 at 19:53:30 on 20th October 2020

By Chet Manley (Paulio)20/10 20:03Tue Oct 20 20:03:13 2020In response to Re: 1 - 0 Newport Top of thread

Views: 957

Why would it be Sampson’s tactics. He’s not the manager.

If Sampson is deciding the tactics then we may as well fuck off Revell and Lenny LOLwrence and save some dollar

Still, it could be worse...

By Deltic 2120/10 19:58Tue Oct 20 19:58:07 2020In response to Re: 1 - 0 Newport Top of thread

Views: 1052

...Imagine being mighty premiership Bolton Wanderers, currently losing away to Barrow on a Tuesday night... 😕

Re: Still, it could be worse...

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)20/10 19:58Tue Oct 20 19:58:56 2020In response to Still, it could be worse...Top of thread

Views: 988

We will give Bolton 6 points.

By Deltic 2120/10 20:54Tue Oct 20 20:54:44 2020In response to Re: Still, it could be worse...Top of thread

Views: 817

Indeed. Since our 47 strikers don’t seem able to score in a brothel, I suspect Bolton are pinning their hopes of survival on us!

By Bumble20/10 20:55Tue Oct 20 20:55:08 2020In response to Re: Still, it could be worse...Top of thread

Views: 797

Agree

By Mercury 8820/10 20:59Tue Oct 20 20:59:43 2020In response to Re: Still, it could be worse...Top of thread

Views: 752

What I find concerning is that in the last 5 games now we've only manged to score 1 goal which was in the 2 - 1 defeat to Bradford.

By BasingstokeBoro20/10 21:01Tue Oct 20 21:01:01 2020In response to Re: Still, it could be worse...Top of thread

Views: 753

Despite signing a load of strikers. That is the most worrying thing to me.

By AndyC20/10 22:44Tue Oct 20 22:44:19 2020In response to Re: Still, it could be worse...Top of thread

Views: 497

Strikers are only any good if you have decent players behind them creating chances

Previous thread: BoroGuide Match Preview: Leyton Orient (H) by Pete23/10 09:11Fri Oct 23 09:11:53 2020view thread