ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Wallace's Programme Notes by TazYesterday 22:41Yesterday at 22:41:02view thread

Oldest article: Hot property by Rob SBFC2/10 21:32Fri Oct 2 21:32:57 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Miserable by Chuds24/10 18:59Sat Oct 24 18:59:43 2020view thread

Expectancy

By Boromatt24/10 19:24Sat Oct 24 19:24:35 2020

Views: 857

Just been going through a lot of tweets, reading people’s opinions on today and this season so far. People want Revs gone, really?

I mean fuck me, did you honestly expect us to be up the top this season?? I didn’t, I thought we would be down the bottom somewhere. Survival is the goal. Fuck the play offs, fuck being up the top, yes it would be lovely but it’s not happening this season.

We came into this season, with a brand new team, the start of a new project at the football club. We also came into this season only knowing with 3 weeks till the season starting that we were going to be in League Two. Not great preparation and ultimately are playing our early games in the season still learning as a new group.

There’s one thing that needs to be understood. Supporting a club like ours at Stevenage, you have to understand that the players aren’t world beaters. If they were they’d all be playing for bigger clubs, better sides where the money is. There are two main things for success in this league:

1. Money
2. Stability

Unfortunately we’re not a Bradford, or a Salford, money is restricted for us, meaning stability is the route for success. But, to gain stability we have to be prepared to hit some dents in the road.

Yes, 8 games played and 5 points isn’t ideal. Ask yourself this, are we the worst team in this league? Last season there was no argument, we were the worst! But this season, it’s quite obvious that Scunthorpe, Southend and Oldham have greater concerns than we do. Let’s keep our support and faith within the set up, play to win on Tuesday and next Saturday and kick on and maintain our EFL status.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people

Re: Expectancy

By Lopo25/10 10:28Sun Oct 25 10:28:07 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 319

I don’t expect top of the league. But I do expect us to be better than the pish we were last season.

The game had 0-0 written all over it. One mistake and we’re chasing. We didn’t react and lost.

Don’t want Revell out but not sure he’s ready to be a manager. Should’ve hired someone with Revs as coach.

But this is PW, he doesn’t have a great track record in the manager department.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)24/10 22:46Sat Oct 24 22:46:45 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 537

Yeah you're right. Let's be content with being fucking shit.
And £600 worth of season tickets i don't expect total fucking capitulation.

Edited by Original Mr Wasp at 23:01:37 on 24th October 2020

By The Professor24/10 21:04Sat Oct 24 21:04:50 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 601

I don’t want Revs gone I really want him to succeed... I just don’t think he will for as long as Sampson is coach... I hope I am proved wrong but given the consistent lack of chances created and goals scored since the start of last season I am not optimistic it will change !

1 person likes this 1 person

By Sev24/10 20:00Sat Oct 24 20:00:22 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 687

Firstly let me say I do not want the manager sacked.

Secondly, I expected us to be different to last season. Despite changing the entire team there are a lot of similarities. That is alarming.

I don't have a thirdly.

8 people like this 8 people

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)24/10 19:57Sat Oct 24 19:57:25 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 700

I don’t want Revs to be sacked. I didn’t want him to get the job in the first place. Appointing an untried manager to take over the shit show of last season was never going to work and was actually unfair on Revs, who’s the latest untried manager to be hung out to dry by Wallace.

As for survival being our goal, I think we should take a long hard look at ourselves and ask if this is really what we expect, especially after 8 ‘seasons of transitions’ in a row before this one.

Every season, the supporters are being mugged off. Every transfer window we announce ‘fantastic’ players, accompanied by glitzy YouTube videos of them scoring against Barnwell School under 14s but, when it comes down to it, they can’t string two passes together.

Perhaps as long as there are people willing to defend the indefensible whilst maintaining a mantra that everything will be alright next season once the manager has settled in and had the benefit of a transfer window, then the rot will continue. If you’re happy with that, then fine. But I’m not.

12 people like this 12 people

By Richie Rich C25/10 01:57Sun Oct 25 01:57:11 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 450

I make that about right . However if you are in the hot seat rightly or wrongly it is your job to a, fix basics b, create a pattern of play. Months into the job and neither of those are there. So we can continue the madness of doing what we have always been doing and getting this same result or make a proper change.

Do I feel we will be relegated ? no , I don’t believe if any relegation happens it will be based on points but finances . I do however feel if we don’t change something fans may give up on the club and that’s far more costly in the long run.

The second half today was absolute dross most of the past few seasons have been the same and I see nothing in the current management set up that suggests sustained dross is going to change and why should we accept this new normal ?

2 people like this 2 people

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)25/10 09:08Sun Oct 25 09:08:39 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 341

Bloody hell, mate, I’m in agreement.

When we played Newport we announced that 5 changes had been made, with the insinuation that this would make a marked improvement compared to the performance against Forest Green. But it didn’t. We don’t have the players, and it appears as if we don’t have the ability - or desire - to change the system (which is surprising as we have 3 managers sitting on the bench).

But so long as the management team make themselves approachable to those in our fan base that feel the need to personally connect with the management team, then that element of the fan base will always offer excuses.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)25/10 09:59Sun Oct 25 09:59:48 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 309

Maybe they should do more coaching and fewer podcasts.

It all started going wrong with Old Toffee...

By Ratman4625/10 09:44Sun Oct 25 09:44:02 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 308

I'm in agreement with you both as well.

He talks well, want him to succeed but even he said that he'll be judged on results, needs an improvement and quickly.

By Richie Rich C25/10 10:13Sun Oct 25 10:13:37 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 295

Unfortunately I’m not sure we should be in agreement though . Having not predicted that we will finish above at least two teams in the league and never having won an award at Cruffs I’m not sure anymore I know the league well enough yet . What I do know is settling for a manager because we like the bloke despite the footy being cack is a bar that’s too low and is t going to make for an enjoyable season or a growing fan base

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)25/10 10:20Sun Oct 25 10:20:15 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 299

Do you remember when we employed Teddy to, ahem, grow the fan base?

By Chuds25/10 10:33Sun Oct 25 10:33:12 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 283

The season we had our second-highest average attendance ever in our club's history, despite how bad it was on the pitch?

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)25/10 12:26Sun Oct 25 12:26:56 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 257

Under which manager did we have our highest ever average attendance under?

By Chuds25/10 12:41Sun Oct 25 12:41:13 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 240

First ever season in L1 thanks to numerous clubs bringing over 2000 away fans.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)25/10 12:31Sun Oct 25 12:31:12 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 247

Gary Smith

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))24/10 21:05Sat Oct 24 21:05:34 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 564

Can someone better at maths than me prove that paying extra for a reliable/good L2 manager will save money in the long run?? Revs is probably on peanuts, and more fool him because he’s being asked to do an impossible job.

“I’m going to provide you with the smallest budget in the league, and my son-in-law is going to blow it based on the outcome of a few mega Football Manager sessions and a few bowls. Good luck!!”

By BasingstokeBoro24/10 21:07Sat Oct 24 21:07:54 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 555

We wouldn't need to pay a managerial advisor so you can start saving there.

By Themessiah24/10 23:54Sat Oct 24 23:54:11 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 449

What ever the managerial advisor use that to get a decent manager in

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))25/10 00:24Sun Oct 25 00:24:36 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 430

Yes, it might be 25 quid though

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))24/10 21:08Sat Oct 24 21:08:29 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 540

True

By RockyBottom24/10 19:39Sat Oct 24 19:39:24 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 677

I'd expect our club to score at least once in 5 league games. Today was exactly the type of game we needed at worst a draw from, if we want to stay out the relegation zone.

Edited by RockyBottom at 19:43:33 on 24th October 2020
Edited by RockyBottom at 19:43:41 on 24th October 2020

5 people like this 5 people

By BasingstokeBoro24/10 19:39Sat Oct 24 19:39:15 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 668

Matt,

Just one week ago you started a thread entitled 'not worried yet'.

You went on to say... "Very important next 2 games, back at home. Home form is so important if we are going to stay up this season. A good performance tomorrow night regardless of the result I’d be happy with, Saturday is a game I’d like to think we’d win and would be disappointed if we didn’t."

I think we can all agree Tuesday was dross and we lost today. If home form is essential to avoiding relegation then we have achieved 0 from a possible 6 points in a week.

What conditions warrent you 'being worried now'?

4 people like this 4 people

By Rotterdamboro24/10 19:37Sat Oct 24 19:37:11 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 699

'Ask yourself this, are we the worst team in this league?'

Yep. Hands down

8 people like this 8 people

By Chuds24/10 20:16Sat Oct 24 20:16:18 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 627

Based on?

Wins? Nope.
Losses? Nope.
Points won? Nope.
Goals scored? Nope.
Goals conceded? Nope.
Squad? Nope.

So, how are we the worst team?

By Jonnym824/10 20:45Sat Oct 24 20:45:17 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 566

Form over 12 months?

By BasingstokeBoro24/10 20:19Sat Oct 24 20:19:20 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 617

On form (last 6) yes. We are bottom

By Chuds24/10 20:21Sat Oct 24 20:21:27 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

We are relegated then. Leagues are determined based on games 2-8 of the season.

By BasingstokeBoro24/10 20:26Sat Oct 24 20:26:59 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 598

I am simply pointing out that you have overlooked one important stat.

Based on the last 6 games... Yes, we are currently the worst team in the league.

By SFCfox24/10 20:37Sat Oct 24 20:37:14 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 578

We're not actually. We're 20th in the form table.

Gutted.

By BasingstokeBoro24/10 20:39Sat Oct 24 20:39:38 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 592

Link?

This is up to date and includes today's results:

[url]https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=4/url]

SFCfox, help me out here? Let me know where we are 20th in the form table based on the last 6 games. Perhaps the website I use is broken. I am 'gutted' if that is the case...

Or could you be wrong? xx

Edited by BasingstokeBoro at 20:59:47 on 24th October 2020

By Sev24/10 20:23Sat Oct 24 20:23:08 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 602

They could be with the Rona running riot.

PPL6G calculation.

By Tucks24/10 20:19Sat Oct 24 20:19:12 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 603

Because it’s the kind of reactionary comment that will draw four likes on Borochat.

By Chuds24/10 20:21Sat Oct 24 20:21:39 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 594

Haha! :).

By Boromatt24/10 19:40Sat Oct 24 19:40:54 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 645

So your saying we’re the worst team in the league when Southend haven’t won a single game?

By SFC Jonny (SFC Jonny)24/10 19:30Sat Oct 24 19:30:15 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 678

I didn't have high hopes this year, but we could only be a week away from being in the relegation zone.

I said I'd be happy with a mid table season. I'd take anything so long as we didn't look like we were going to be relegated.

We haven't scored a goal in five league games. That is relegation form.

Personally, I'd give him three more games to turn it around.
And even then it depends on results elsewhere. We can't afford for it to go on any longer than that.

Edited by SFC Jonny at 19:30:42 on 24th October 2020

By Boromatt24/10 19:35Sat Oct 24 19:35:27 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 662

No league goal in 5 games, but we’ve signed how many Non League forwards? I can think of 4. Newts hasn’t played in a year so that’s a step up in itself. I’m not actually surprised with how we are in front of goal. It was always going to take time with the amount we signed and where from.

By AL1 BORO24/10 20:05Sat Oct 24 20:05:48 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

If we were creating chances for the non-league strikers to miss you'd have a point but we're not. We've only scored two goals from open play this season, no one is worse. If we were winning a load of penalties and scoring from set plays left right and centre to make up for it that'd be one thing, but we're not.

You can't win if you don't score and you can't score if you're not creating chances and that's ultimately where we're at. We have to approach games in a more positive manner. I accept we're not world beaters but we're not playing world beaters either. I don't think I'm being unrealistic in my expectancy to play with a bit more positivity and to try and win games. If you offered me 1 point and 1 place above the relegation zone now I'd snap your arm off.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)24/10 20:30Sat Oct 24 20:30:04 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 583

If we were creating chances for the non-league strikers to miss you'd have a point but we're not.

You didn't watch today I assume, we created a few good chances. Didn't take them but to say we didn't create any is factually incorrect.

By AL1 BORO24/10 20:42Sat Oct 24 20:42:33 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 560

I did watch today's game. Today was better, the only chance we created when the game was on the line was Newton's effort in the first half, everything else was after the game was lost. I'm not referring to pot shots from range as I don't really consider them chances created.

There's no point turning up when the game is lost, we did that frequently in our League One relegation season. We'd go 2/3 down early and then suddenly look half competitive, too little too late.

I accept today was better but it wasn't much better - if we play in the same manner as we did today in every match remaining this season we'll end up relegated.

4 people like this 4 people

By Sev24/10 20:57Sat Oct 24 20:57:48 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 537

Osborne found himself in acres and couldn't get a shot away. List tested the keeper from a tight angle. Those are others I remember.

Not loads of obvious goalscoring opportunities but we were getting in the right positions and what was letting us down was the final ball, so if the players like Hutton could pick a pass it would have been a chance, rather than the tactics meaning we were never going to create those chances.

By AL1 BORO24/10 22:24Sat Oct 24 22:24:34 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 465

I don't recall the Osbourne opening but the List effort was never going to directly result in goal as it was so tight, he did well to win a corner out of nothing though.

Interesting, so you're of the view that it's the personnel letting the side down rather than the set up/tactical approach? I'm no tactical mastermind so am willing to hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong but I feel a different approach with this group of players would get better results.

I'm prepared to give Revell time, chopping and changing isn't necessarily the answer particularly as Phil Wallace is the man in charge of appointing the replacement.

By Sev24/10 22:28Sat Oct 24 22:28:42 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 482

Its complicated. I think we lose because our tactics arent suited to our players or the league we are in.

I think the tactics offer the opportunity to create chances but as shown they dont come to fruition. We are certainly not creating lots of goalscoring opportunities and that is a mix of players unable to fulfil the tactics and the tactics themselves.

I basically think we are set up to play good football but are in a league and with a squad as good as we can hope for in our budget, who will lose the majority of games trying to play the way they're being coached.

I think the players we have are good enough if we played a different way.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)24/10 22:55Sat Oct 24 22:55:57 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 443

What different way?

I think we've tried the high press

I think we tried bypassing the midfield and hoofing it

I think we tried passing up the pitch patiently but couldn't get it out of defence.

We've tried 3, 4 and 5 at the back. We don't have any wingers so can't go 4-4-2, so we're close to being stuck with a front 3

We recruited players specifically to press and play at a high tempo to force errors.

But we appear to have stopped bothering to do that.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 22:57:07 on 24th October 2020

By Sev24/10 22:59Sat Oct 24 22:59:30 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 442

I know fuck all about tactics and football so no point asking me.

But I do know we are currently unable to win games whatever way we are playing.

All I have is gut feeling and I trust it.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)24/10 23:07Sat Oct 24 23:07:22 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 446

Play like we did first half today and more chances will come.

Score a couple, even scuffed in or off the arse, and the strikers confidence will return.

I share your reservations about Sampson but we simply don't know whether he is the problem or the potential solution.

It's for Revell to pick his staff. Or it should be.

I wouldn't force a change before January unless it's clear to the chairman that he's lost the dressing room.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)24/10 23:03Sat Oct 24 23:03:53 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 432

Could be diarrhoea.

By Chuds24/10 19:26Sat Oct 24 19:26:27 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 680

You cannot say that, SACK EVERYONE NOW!

By Chet Manley (Paulio)24/10 19:26Sat Oct 24 19:26:11 2020In response to Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 692

My only concern is that he signed 300 strikers and we’ve scored approx 0 goals in the past load of games.

I believe he should be given two seasons(including this one).

Edited by Paulio at 19:27:10 on 24th October 2020

By AndyC25/10 08:11Sun Oct 25 08:11:24 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 340

2 seasons makes sense only if you think this lot are going to be good in the conference next season and we can be back in league 2 in year 3 as a result

Edited by AndyC at 08:11:39 on 25th October 2020

By Chet Manley (Paulio)25/10 11:48Sun Oct 25 11:48:40 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 249

Or we could just replace the manger like last season and our form will pick up.

By AndyC25/10 13:17Sun Oct 25 13:17:47 2020In response to Re: Expectancy Top of thread

Views: 229

Should give Sampson a go, he's been head coach before.

If that don't work we should go tried and tested. Someone like Graham Westley

Previous thread: Match Thread by Mercury 8824/10 14:06Sat Oct 24 14:06:35 2020view thread